trotsky-icepick (resized).jpg
WPC jumper settings (resized).jpg
Battery Replacement Tool (resized).jpg
0032178-11 (resized).jpg
Plug Pliers2 (resized).JPG
Plug Pliers1 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Greetings!
Today was the day to replace the AA batteries on my BOP. The previous owner had a date label on the batteries and on the inside of the coin door and it was a year old. My fingers are fat, callused so not much feelings, and old. I was not happy about just grabbing those batteries and yanking. I also didn't think it was too great to get a screwdriver in there and start prying. So I opened the rollaway drawer for pliers and found my perfect tool. I used a pair of spark plug boot pliers. They are insulated and fit a AA battery perfectly. It was a snap to remove and replace the batteries. Here are a couple of really bad photos to sort of show the things in action. Maybe I am the only person in the world that needs a tool but then again there might be someone else! Oh..... and then after I finished, the Real Fun began. My game is an export and of course booted up in German. Hello Google Translate as I finally found E.1 21 to select English.....lol.

Plug Pliers1 (resized).JPGPlug Pliers1 (resized).JPG

Plug Pliers2 (resized).JPGPlug Pliers2 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Change the game to NVRAM or a memory capacitor, and then you won't need the tool for your games anymore.

#3 7 years ago

Battery replacement tool:

0032178-11 (resized).jpg0032178-11 (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago

NVRAM is something that with my soldering skills is risky at best. The cost to send the board off and have it done is more than just replacing batteries once a year. If I take my game in to be serviced somewhere, I would have it done at that time. Pinside is full of NVRAM tales gone bad and I would probably be one.

The Xcelite tool above is a nice item. Maybe next year I will try a small set of cutters! This gives me something to look forward to when next year rolls around.

#5 7 years ago

Just switch out to AA lithium then like what Apple sells or Amazon has the Panasonic Eneloop I use. Done, no acid leak worries.

#7 7 years ago

if you add a few more of those 0 ohm jumpers (see image below, area highlighted in green), you can change the default region of the machine so that you do not experience that issue ever again
Battery Replacement Tool (resized).jpgBattery Replacement Tool (resized).jpg

WPC jumper settings (resized).jpgWPC jumper settings (resized).jpg

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from Catalyze:

My game is an export and of course booted up in German.

I change the batteries with the game on to prevent losing high scores and other settings.

Eric

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from emsrph:

I change the batteries with the game on to prevent losing high scores and other settings.
Eric

I'm too much of a klutz and would be afraid of bumping something with the game on.

#10 7 years ago

There is no way the pliers would work on any of my games . There is no room between the batteries ! On another note - Just picked up 3-8 packs of Energizer Lithium from Target for $10.79 a pack . In store price was $17.19 a 8 x pack . Had to go to the Service Desk to get that price .

#11 7 years ago

Nasty corrosion locking up those batteries? No room to maneuver a conventional tool due to tight battery spacing? This "Corrosion Buster" battery removal tool will bust loose any tricky battery (and most other things in the general vicinity as well). I happen to have a few spares, only $129.95, plus shipping/handling. Might seem a little pricey, but you'll get years of enjoyment and battery bustin' from this wonderful pinball tool!

trotsky-icepick (resized).jpgtrotsky-icepick (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

Thanks to all the suggestions......most anyway! After reading the last post, I realized that I was just thinking inside the backbox. I am going with the Hurst System of battery removal tools.

product_11 (resized).pngproduct_11 (resized).png

#13 7 years ago

When I remove batteries and can't quite get them I use a cable twist tie. Push one end behind the battery and looped back so you can grab both ends while it sits behind the battery. Pull. Repeat 2x

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 27.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
$ 9.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battery-replacement-tool and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.