• Latest reply 6 years ago by dsuperbee
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1010781 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I am having an issue with my TZ at startup. Each time I turn it on now I get the message Bookkeeping Total Cleared and Factory Settings Restored. Ordinarily this would indicate that my batteries are low and not saving previous settings when machine is turned off. The batteries I removed were good but I put in new one anyway. Still same result at each startup. Annoying. When I removed the batteries, I noticed that the middle holder has a very small ring missing at the bottom of the bracket where the bottom of the battery would rest when installed. Could this battery not be making good contact and thus not functioning to hold stored settings? I have considered putting a very small copper washer between the bottom of the battery and the top of the contact to replace the missing spacer. It appears that the top and bottom of each battery holder has a small "cushion" with a copper top that touches the tops and bottoms of each battery when inserted into the holder. Would I do any damage if I used a small copper washer at the bottom of the battery holder where the "cushion" is missing. My thinking is that I am not getting a good contact in my battery pack so as to retain memory when machine is turned off.
OR is there some other way to correct this situation. I have cleaned all the contacts. Incidentally, the machine has not had much use for years and when it was being used regularly, I did not have this issue very often. I would reset clock, etc and be good for weeks.

#2 6 years ago

Here is photo of my holder

P1010781 (resized).JPGP1010781 (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago

Small ring missing is the issue. No battery power getting to board.

I'd put on a new battery holder. Don't know if copper washer will help.

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago

Install NVRAM. This will resolve your battery issues forever.

#5 6 years ago

I'd like to try the washer but I don't want to risk damaging the circuit board. Is there any danger of that? I know this is "jerry rigging" but if it would work I would not have to deal with this issue except once a year when I replace all the batteries.
Also, what is a NVRAM and how hard is it to install?

#6 6 years ago

Yes, try the washer.

https://nvram.weebly.com/
If your ram is socketed then definitely buy and install NVRAM. If it's not socketed and you're not good with desoldering and soldering don't try it yourself. barakandl runs the above site and can probably tell you if Twilight Zone RAM is socketed or not. You could also take the board to a show and let Borygard install it, his show schedule is on Pinside somewhere.

#8 6 years ago

Well I tried the copper washer and no luck. Marco has a replacement battery holder for Bally and Williams. Is my TZ a direct plug-in type replacement that does not require any soldering or removal of the circuit board? Is this what I need?
BATTERY HOLDER 3 POSITION AA
#5881-09021-00
Standard Williams / Bally WPC battery holder with through hole circuit board mounting terminals used in both pinball machines and arcade video games.
3 position tan phenolic base "AA" battery holder.
Reference:
5881-09021-00
5A-9021
Suitable replacement for the A-15814 black style shorter pin battery holder.

#9 6 years ago

This requires you to dedolder the old battery holder and solder in the new battery holder. It doesn't seem like you are familiar with using a soldering iron.

This might be better for you.
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RBM
https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1783

#10 6 years ago

Follow Lloyd's advice. Per a comment on the TZ group:

NVRam does not advance the clock when power is cut. The clock will still tell the time - but the time the game THINKS it is, which will be completely incorrect.

In other words, you need the battery to have the clock continue running while the machine is shut off. If that's not a big deal to you, and the RAM is socketed, go with the NVRam. Since the ring is missing on the center battery terminal, you may be able to use what FatPanda referenced.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Follow Lloyd's advice. Per a comment on the TZ group:
NVRam does not advance the clock when power is cut. The clock will still tell the time - but the time the game THINKS it is, which will be completely incorrect.
In other words, you need the battery to have the clock continue running while the machine is shut off. If that's not a big deal to you, and the RAM is socketed, go with the NVRam. Since the ring is missing on the center battery terminal, you may be able to use what FatPanda referenced.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=MPU_Battery_Replacement_Options#Games_Affected_By_a_Real-Time_Clock

#12 6 years ago

Update--
I moved the small copper washer slightly at the bottom of the middle battery holder and the battery apparently made good contact with the holder because I no longer lose machine settings as evidenced by no error messages at start up. Should be good to go for a year with this new set of batteries. If my hack should fail, I will likely add the remote battery holder available online.
Thanks to all who contributed suggestions.

#13 6 years ago

You better hope that washernever wiggles loose, falls, and shorts something

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 132.00
10,950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 145.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 14.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Uniontown, OH
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 90.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 109.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Gameroom - Decorations
pinballmod

$ 34.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 73.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battery-replacement-question-on-tz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.