CBW_7.jpg
CBW_6.jpg
CBW_5.jpg
CBW_4.jpg
CBW_3.jpg
CBW_2.jpg
CBW_1.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Thought I'd share my experience in changing out the 2034 Coin battery in my CBW.

Purchased the battery holder from Mouser Part #614-HU2430-LF
Picked up a CR2034 Battery from Battery Plus - couldn't find this battery anywhere else!

I used these pages for help

http://www.beerorkid.com/pin/Gottlieb%20system%203/

Pulled the board from the game tonight and took the time to document with pics as I went. Might help someone else who might go thru same process.

This pic shows board and prep area - to get battery off, I used solder sucker to remove most of solder on the 3 solder points on the reverse of the board, then gently pulled on battery as I heated the thru pins from behind.
CBW_1.jpgCBW_1.jpg

In this pic you can see the first pin (negative) free from board

CBW_2.jpgCBW_2.jpg

Here you can see the entire battery removed after I heated and pulled the remaining 2 (positive) pins

CBW_3.jpgCBW_3.jpg

In this image you can see the battery is gone from the board - I will re-use the top positve pin hole but will NOT use the bottom one and will NOT use the negative hole at all

CBW_4.jpgCBW_4.jpg

In this image, I used an awl to scratch off the board coating to access the negative trace near the battery holder that I will now install. See the scratched area at the end of the awl point.

CBW_5.jpgCBW_5.jpg

Here you can see the part I bought from Mouser. It has 2 positive legs and 1 negative. I cut off the lower leg of the 2 positives (in the image it would be the right leg). I then "bent" the negative leg and trimmed it to needed length (see next pic)

CBW_6.jpgCBW_6.jpg

Here you can see the negative leg that I needed to "bend" and trim in order for it to "meet" the spot on the board that I had scratched down to the negative trace where I will solder it to (reason for all this scratching and soldering to a trace is that the new battery holder is larger than the original and the negative pin hole does not line up)

CBW_7.jpgCBW_7.jpg

Here you can see I put the battery holder on the board by inserting the one remaining positive pin into the top "old" hole from the original battery holder and then checked the "length" of my newly bent and trimmed pin to make certain it matched my scratched spot perfectly - it did. I left the battery in to make certain there was clearance over the chip right below it.

CBW_8.jpgCBW_8.jpg

Here's a shot of the same but without the battery installed (make sure you solder it with the battery removed!)

CBW_9a.jpgCBW_9a.jpg

Next I soldered in the positive pin into the hole marked "A" (looking at board from front it would be the "top" pin hole of the 2 positives from the original holder mechanism. Holes labeled "x" are not used again.

CBW_10x.jpgCBW_10x.jpg

Here is the view from the front with the positive leg soldered in

CBW_11.jpgCBW_11.jpg

Here is the final pic with the negative leg that I "bent" and trimmed soldered onto the trace that I exposed on the board.

CBW_12.jpgCBW_12.jpg

Game booted as error code Uxx errors first time
Game booted perfectly second time
Note that CBW will boot in tournament mode if you had it set to free play and will allow unlimited balls until you shift it back to Free Play and whatever ball count you wish

Nice to have this machine back booting well and not having to go into backbox to get it running!

#2 9 years ago

Got the battery holder from Digi-Key, I think it was this one: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BH2430T-C/BH2430T-C-ND/557806

One pin needs a slight dogleg bend to fit the existing holes.

battery.jpgbattery.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Good job.

Be sure to perform a factory reset otherwise you will have issues. The memory is not properly initialized on Sys3 even after a power on/off/on sequence. You still have to perform the factory reset to getting it running 100%.

viperrwk

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from balzofsteel:

Got the battery holder from Digi-Key, I think it was this one: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BH2430T-C/BH2430T-C-ND/557806
One pin needs a slight dogleg bend to fit the existing holes.
battery.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Really nice job finding an "almost" drop in battery holder. This will help others a ton!

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

Good job.
Be sure to perform a factory reset otherwise you will have issues. The memory is not properly initialized on Sys3 even after a power on/off/on sequence. You still have to perform the factory reset to getting it running 100%.
viperrwk

Thanks so much for the "factory reset" recommendation - it helped clear up some funky numbers I was getting on the DMD. Game now plays like new!

2 years later
#6 7 years ago

Couldn't I just solder on 2 positive and 1 negative lead and place the new holder off board and not have to scratch the board or modify the new holder?and for that matter I guess you would only need 1 positive?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Couldn't I just solder on 2 positive and 1 negative lead and place the new holder off board and not have to scratch the board or modify the new holder?and for that matter I guess you would only need 1 positive?

Yes. I installed a 2430 battery holder without scratching and trace from the board. It was an unnecessary step.

#8 7 years ago

just use a CR2032 battery and holder. it fits fine, and it's readily available. It's the most common coin battery.
http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3

#9 7 years ago

Here is what I did to get the battery off the board of my Title Fight.

20170326_165747001_1490565664704 (resized).jpg20170326_165747001_1490565664704 (resized).jpg

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Yes. I installed a 2032 battery holder without scratching and trace from the board. It was an unnecessary step.

edit: It was late, and I put in the wrong battery number.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bloomington, IL
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battery-replacement-gottlieb-system-3-cue-ball-wizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.