Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200328_075402 (resized).jpg
20200309_195652 (resized).jpg
20200309_195643 (resized).jpg
20200309_195634 (resized).jpg
20200309_195609 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

I'm still pretty new to repairs as this is my first pin.

Last night I decided to replace the batteries on my data east LAH and after doing so upon rebooting them machine it will not remember setting changes.

I noticed a little corrosion on the battery holder and after scraping around the a little bit and putting them back in I did get it to remember changes again, but alas that didnt last long.

I've done some research and now plan to purchase NVRAM to remove the need for batteries all together, but I'm left with a couple questions I am not clear on.

First, do I still need to remove the corrosion on the battery holder or is it easy/possible to remove it all together? If I do can I clean it with the board still in the game?

Secondly, I dont really think the corrosion was that bad and I looked over the board and it doesn't seem (to me) like there is corrosion elsewhere that needs to be addressed, but can someone experience look at some photos I took and tell me if there in fact is more corrosion that needs to be addressed?

Last, is the NVRAM installation sure to resolve my issue or could there potentially be other issues? Is there any particular brands of NVRAM youd recommend avoiding?

Thank you in advance.

20200309_195609 (resized).jpg20200309_195609 (resized).jpg20200309_195634 (resized).jpg20200309_195634 (resized).jpg20200309_195643 (resized).jpg20200309_195643 (resized).jpg20200309_195652 (resized).jpg20200309_195652 (resized).jpg
#2 4 years ago
Quoted from BroMan90:

Last, is the NVRAM installation sure to resolve my issue or could there potentially be other issues? Is there any particular brands of NVRAM youd recommend avoiding?

6264 NVRAM will solve the problem and get rid of batteries, so you can just remove the battery holder now as it would need to be replaced if you were planning on using new batteries.

Go NVRAM and be green!! Less maintenance to worry about.

After removing the battery holder, post a picture of how it looks underneath.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

6264 NVRAM will solve the problem and get rid of batteries, so you can just remove the battery holder now as it would need to be replaced if you were planning on using new batteries.
Go NVRAM and be green!! Less maintenance to worry about.
After removing the battery holder, post a picture of how it looks underneath.

This is probably a pretty simple answer to someone experienced, but I didnt see any info on removing the battery holder on other threads. How do I remove it? Does it just pop off?

#4 4 years ago

I wiggle it back and forth until it pops off.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I wiggle it back and forth until it pops off.

For some reason there a part of the right edge middle of the tray that does not want to pop off and I dont want to hurt the board, but I am not seeing any corrosion underneath the tray.

#6 4 years ago

Then heat it up from the backside of the board and remove it. If you try and heat it from the top and there is battery corrosion there, it will eat of that area very fast.

2 weeks later
#7 4 years ago

Take the board out and desolder the holder.
Also, your photos are a bit blurry unfortunately, it almost appears as if there are some minor corrosion on some of the chips. But yes, take the board out, desolder the holder and take some good sharp pics.

20200328_075402 (resized).jpg20200328_075402 (resized).jpg
#8 4 years ago

Just cut it off the board. Don't fool around with cleaning something that you can just replace, and if you're going NVRam anyway, better to have no holder there and write in sharpie where it used to be "NVRam installed".

Once it's off you can inspect the board closely to see if there's any corrosion damage.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battery-replacement-and-corrosion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.