You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140120_153347.jpg
Data East remote battery holder installed.JPG
#1 10 years ago

EDIT: Williams and Data East use different kits

Does a Data East require a special battery relocation kit?

I picked up what I figure is a universal kit. But even though I'm using the same new batteries in the remote holder it doesn't retain settings with a power cycle. When I put the batteries back on the main board it will remember settings when I power cycle.

I have a DMM and have been reading lots of posts and stuff from the wiki etc to troubleshoot. At this point I am stuck so I'd love any suggestions.

I get the same volt reading when I connect the black and red leads of my DMM to the top left and bottom right inside connectors of the battery holder no matter if I use batteries directly installed in it or if I have the remote battery 'thing' plugged in to it.

But I do get a different diode reading at D25 next to the holder when I use the remote plugin. I'll try to take some pictures, but if anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them.

If anyone has used a remote battery kit on Jurassic Park also, I'd love to know.

#2 10 years ago

You are probably not installing the remote leads in the correct order. Anyone got a pic for Don?

Check for 4.5 vdc on the blocking diode. You can pull the board and phsically follow the traces so you know what position.

#3 10 years ago

Here is where I started http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Open_the_Door_Message

And I was going off of this http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Data_East/Sega#Relocating_the_Battery_from_the_MPU_board

One picture in particular has me curious... http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:DE_CPU_Remote_Battery_Holder.JPG

Should I remove the onboard holder (probably) and solder my kit on to the board permanently? It came with a plastic adapter that fits inside the onboard holder so I just assumed it was set up plug and play. Maybe just not for a Data East then? In fact, just typing this I'm pretty sure that Williams etc probably do have different battery holder connections on the board itself. So if I have a kit from a Williams it likely won't work on a Data East?

Back in a bit, going to do some soldering

#4 10 years ago

! Yep, I jumped when I should have just read slower while shopping. All fixed now though.

The kit I picked up was for Williams WPC systems, so the points are in different spots. Luckily I didn't have to solder, I just modified the remote plug so that it would send power to the correct points in the onboard holder on the Data East. I'll add a screenshot in case anyone else searches for this solution sometime in the future.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

You are probably not installing the remote leads in the correct order. Anyone got a pic for Don?
Check for 4.5 vdc on the blocking diode. You can pull the board and phsically follow the traces so you know what position.

You were exactly right

#6 10 years ago

Have you considered installing a NVRAM ? I have one in my GNR and Checkpoint. No soldering required. Just install memory chip. Works great.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from MJW:

Have you considered installing a NVRAM ? I have one in my GNR and Checkpoint. No soldering required. Just install memory chip. Works great.

+4 I put one in my DE Simpsons and Twister that I currently have and one in Baywatch and Monopoly that I had recently sold. No more batteries to worry about in my lifetime. Easy installation for DE and Sega games.

#8 10 years ago

I looked at the pictures you posted and they look correct. You didn't post a picture of the remote battery holder you are trying to use, but I assume from your picture that one end of your remote battery holder "plugs in" to the existing board mounted battery holder. My home made versions do the same thing, so I think the picture I post will help you. You can see that the + connection is made at the right edge of the bottom dowl in the picture, and the - connection is made at the right edge of the top dowl in the picture. The top spot in the battery holder goes unused.Data East remote battery holder installed.JPGData East remote battery holder installed.JPG

#9 10 years ago

Here's the 'lightly' modified Williams relocation kit plug adapter now working in a Data East lol.

The two pictures from the wiki above showing the difference between the Williams WPC and Data East shows where it needs to pick up power from.20140120_153347.jpg20140120_153347.jpg

#10 10 years ago

I haven't heard of the nvram option before. Though being a DIYer I really like the wooden dowel mod that Roy used!

The NVRAM may be the better option in this case though, I'm doing this for a friend who will be keeping this machine at their vacation house over here. So it might sit for extended periods, not having to bring batteries each time they come would be great.

#11 10 years ago

Oh I see!

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3070

Hmmm, that isn't that expensive seeing as I paid ~15 for the remote kit.

#13 10 years ago

$0.26 for the holder, lol next time I shop for something I'm checking with Barakandl first

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from Don1:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3070
Hmmm, that isn't that expensive seeing as I paid ~15 for the remote kit.

There is a cheaper version of it too that is for more modern machines. That one above also goes into older Bally machines. You have to configure it for the game it is being put into.

This is from another maker, which I had loaded into 8 machines already.
ebay.com link: Pinball Battery Eliminator NVRAM Williams Data East Stern 6264 RAM Adapter
A bit more involved for WPC and System 11 games, where soldering is required.

#15 10 years ago

Those NVRAMs sure are nice. But since I made myself a batch of remote holders at a cost of less than $1 per holder years ago, and they work with any pin that takes AA batteries, I think I'll stick with what I have. Battery holder, wire, 2 pieces of dowel a bit shorter than a AA battery, 2 screws and a pair of spade connectors if you wish (or solder the wire to the screws). Even less if you remove the existing battery holder from the board and solder the wires to the board. That savings adds up when you outfit many pins with remote battery holders.

#16 10 years ago

I designed and built this (generic) external battery box for my DE LW3 game
last autumn at more or less no cost at all.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dataeast-leathal-weapon-3-lw3-missing-chip
(Battery box build images is a few posts down)

I learnt that there are a few things to keep in mind when doing this mod.

1. The battery boxes one buy are pretty cheaply made, so some minor adjustments
may need to be done to get a snug fit of the batterys and the right (4.5v or so) voltage out.
Use a multimeter to measure!

2. The polarity of the current from the external battery box of course need to match the polarity
points on the soldered battery box. Use a multimeter to measure!

3. Pay attention to the soldering points of the original battery box. How is the serial current routed
to the main board. Use a multimeter to measure what soldering points give the 4.5v while batteries
seated in original battery box. Different manufacturers have different solutions.

At first I did not pay any real attention to point 3 in my mod, (and it resulted in memory loss since
I only outed approximately 3v). I found that the DE pins (always? help me out here guys) use the
two lower right soldering points of the battery box to lead the current on to the main board. And the
other manufacturers uses a other set of soldering points to to the job.

Thanx for reading
/mima

Post edited by mima : cross thread linking did not work as I thought it would

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
London, ON

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battery-relocation-loses-settings and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.