Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 61 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

so-1_(resized).jpg
    capblown_6_(resized).jpg
    NVRAM_location_DE_SW_(resized).png
    image_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    lithium_battery_with_acid_damages_board_(resized).png
    image_(resized).jpeg
    There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Yes! That sounds very good! I will check on those. Let me ask you: on Star Wars...I just install an nvram? What about the current batteries and battery holder? Thanks!

I mentioned the power supply on Star Wars that has very high potential issues on the post above.

Anytime NVRAM is installed, batteries get removed. I remove the battery holder to prevent accidentally installing batteries. There are only 2 contacts on this SW battery holder at the bottom right 2 battery connections. I think you can cut those flush with the board. This way you don't have to take out the board.

The red highlighted part in the picture shows the old RAM is located just under the Game ROM(s).
    NVRAM_location_DE_SW_(resized).pngNVRAM_location_DE_SW_(resized).png

#52 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

The power supply is brand new. Its an Xpin board....what about the PPB?

Just inspect the connectors on the PBB and push on all the fuses gently to see if any fuse holder caves. I hope all are good.

xpin board...sweet. Nothing needed then

Quoted from KornFreak28:

No burnt connectors....all were replaced with new ones 2 months ago

Excellent. Once you install NVRAM in SW, you should be good for a long time.

#53 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Just inspect the connectors on the PBB and push on all the fuses gently to see if any fuse holder caves. I hope all are good.
    xpin board...sweet. Nothing needed then

Excellent. Once you install NVRAM in SW, you should be good for a long time.

Thanks for all your help! Thats very nice of you! What do you think about Getaway and Addams Family? Thanks!

#54 7 years ago
    Quoted from KornFreak28:

Thanks for all your help! Thats very nice of you! What do you think about Getaway and Addams Family? Thanks!

I enjoy helping.
    Tomorrow's thoughts, as it is already past midnight. My eyes are burning.
    Mainly connectors are about the only common issues with WPC games other than acid damaged MPU boards.

#55 7 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

I enjoy helping.
    Tomorrow's thoughts, as it is already past midnight. My eyes are burning.
    Mainly connectors are about the only common issues with WPC games other than acid damaged MPU boards.

Sounds great sir! Thank you!

#56 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Yes, and they can explode if overcharged. There are better options already mentioned.

LOL. Been using BBU caps for 15-20 years now and no, never been shocked and never had one "explode".

There are a bunch of acceptable options from cordless phone batteries to NVRAM.

"Explode"... how dramatic! LOL. Thanks for the chuckle.

#57 7 years ago
    Quoted from JeffF:

LOL. Been using BBU caps for 15-20 years now and no, never been shocked and never had one "explode".
    There are a bunch of acceptable options from cordless phone batteries to NVRAM.
    "Explode"... how dramatic! LOL. Thanks for the chuckle.

http://www.capacitorlab.com/visible-failures/

I never said shocked, not at this low voltage.
    Visible failure is not always immediate.
    Capacitors leak just like batteries.

This includes BBU capacitors.
    One overcharge the case ruptures and now you have corrosion damage.

Yes, capacitors can explode, watch what happens in a Early Bally Solenoid Driver Board regarding a short circuit. I have photos somewhere of the person who severely burned his skin and had temporary blindness in one eye. He was #! $@Inc around with the power on and not playing attention.

Owners should not use capacitors in place of batteries.

capblown_6_(resized).jpgcapblown_6_(resized).jpg
    so-1_(resized).jpgso-1_(resized).jpg

#58 7 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

No, I would certainly not recommend that.
    Remove the board from the game. Hold it over a garbage can withe the compoet side facing down. Clip the legs of the battery holder and let it drop.
    Anything else and you're just spreading the leaking material everywhere. The key is not to disturb the material that has leaked.
    [Edit] nevermind, guess I was a little late to the party.

you do NOT throw batterys in the garbage can....

#59 7 years ago
    Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

modern batteries actually can be thrown in the garbage

#60 7 years ago
    Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

http://www.capacitorlab.com/visible-failures/
    I never said shocked, not at this low voltage.
    Visible failure is not always immediate.
    Capacitors leak just like batteries.
    This includes BBU capacitors.
    One overcharge the case ruptures and now you have corrosion damage.
    Yes, capacitors can explode, watch what happens in a Early Bally Solenoid Driver Board regarding a short circuit. I have photos somewhere of the person who severely burned his skin and had temporary blindness in one eye. He was #! $@Inc around with the power on and not playing attention.
    Owners should not use capacitors in place of batteries.

Yes, Cap's explode and they DO shock as well, even at low voltage, don't be fooled. Ever taken apart an old-school disposable camera? The flash is powered by a super cap, hooked to usually 1 or 2 AA or AAA batteries. That's 1.5v or 3v, respectively. The CAP will give you a very sharp shock if it's charged up and you touch the leads. I have experienced this, it hurts. 5v can still shock you, it's not neccesarily the voltage you have to be concerned about, it's the sudden amount of charge that dissipates over a very short period of time. High current can be just as dangerous as high voltage. Not saying it will kill anyone @5v, but it can hurt!

#61 7 years ago
    Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

Years ago, all recyclables and batteries were collected separately around here. Now, everything just gets tossed in together and (I'm assuming) sorted at the trash facility. Or it all just gets burned. I'm not quite sure.

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battery-or-capacitor/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.