View topic image gallery

MPU back damage (resized).png
20160906_190315 (resized).jpg
20160906_065148 (resized).jpg
20160906_065053 (resized).jpg
20160906_065127 (resized).jpg
NGG security chip (resized).png
20160905_164639 (resized).jpg
There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 7 years ago

Truly, I do not see a problem getting the Rottendog MPU in this case. It is what I would do. I don't know if I would even look any further for an original board.

1 month later
#102 7 years ago

So after all this Duracell writes back and says the batteries were not defective, apparently leaking batteries is normal for duracell. Apparently the best before date means you must use them before that date, call me crazy, but this isn't milk. At any rate they are supposedly sending a check for half the amount in the next 5-6 weeks.

#103 7 years ago

Even though they are way out of the expiration date, I am glad to see they are still paying something out on it. Was no guarantee they would. As always, it is good to inquire anyway.

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

So after all this Duracell writes back and says the batteries were not defective, apparently leaking batteries is normal for duracell. .

They tell you that because its a 'safety feature' of the battery to prevent bursting/explosions. Yet, their batteries are guaranteed to not destroy your stuff! I listened to the same spiel and pointed out they still warrantied for damage.. so I didn't care if it was normal or not

#105 7 years ago

So best I've found so far is K's arcade for 288.92 with shipping for the board with all the chips. Anyone know where or if I can find cheaper? I"m thinking probably not, but figured I would ask. I have the rom and it appears completely free of damage, the other chips were sent to duracell so I would need the board, security chip, asic and 68b09.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Even though they are way out of the expiration date, I am glad to see they are still paying something out on it. Was no guarantee they would. As always, it is good to inquire anyway.

Yea, but what bothers me is its not an expiration date, they even go on to say that they guarantee that the cells will be fresh if used before this freshness date. So say the date is march 2011 and they were just sitting in the package until february 2011, they should be good to use. Then they go on to say the best before date does not indicate how long a battery will last in your device. So basically what they are saying is. It could last a day or 10 years and we will use that to try to get out of our batteries leaking. Honestly I don't buy name brand batteries anymore as they all do the same thing. Oh well, lesson learned, and time to find the parts and get this thing working. I also can't understand how they can send a letter, but another piece of paper with a check takes 5-6 weeks.

#107 7 years ago

Just make sure you move to Lithium batteries. All brands of Alkaline suck, as some even leak before the "expiration" date.

#108 7 years ago

Just make sure you move to Lithium batteries. All brands of Alkaline suck, as some even leak before the "expiration" date.

Or make sure you use NVRAM which your new board will. Batteries are evil. The OP knows that now.

Ks arcade price is probably as good as you will do.

#109 7 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Or make sure you use NVRAM which your new board will.

I prefer NVRAM, but just some people keep wanting to stay on the cheap route and stay with batteries. At least Lithium's are a better choice than Alkaline.

#110 7 years ago

The new board at least is remote batteries. I just hope to god I remembered to take the batteries out of Dr. Dude. That board is 300 bucks by itself.

#111 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

The new board at least is remote batteries.

The battery connector used on the Rottendog board sucks. I ended up installing a NVRAM instead on 3 MPU boards for people.

The Rottendog WPC/WPC95 boards have the RAM in a socket and it is so easy to upgrade it to NVRAM and not ever have to worry about batteries ever again.

Quoted from Robl45:

I just hope to god I remembered to take the batteries out of Dr. Dude. That board is 300 bucks by itself.

A month has now passed since you posted about the damage to the NGG MPU. I don't know what you're waiting on. The longer it sits with the potential of the batteries in the game, the more likely you do have a damaged board that is getting eaten up by the day. Only takes 5 minutes to set the game on the floor, prop up the backbox and open it up.

#112 7 years ago

Any chance you can get some or all of these parts back from Duracell? Unfortunately the three chips you need with the board are expensive which is why a fully populated board costs so much.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/6809E $9
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5410-12426-01 $65 (out of stock)
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-5400-50061-1 $40

#113 7 years ago

Nope no parts back. 150 bucks though. Parts had some green on them anyway.

As for Dr Dude. I don't have the room right now. Have to get ngg done and setup.

So the ram nvram if I want to add on new board is just plug in socket?

#114 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

So the ram nvram if I want to add on new board is just plug in socket?

Yes, the Rottendog board has the old RAM in a socket. So only have to remove the part and install the NVRAM. No soldering.

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

Nope no parts back. 150 bucks though.

When you said half, I thought you were going to say $75. Good. so this should cover the Rottendog board at least.

#116 7 years ago

When you said half, I thought you were going to say $75. Good. so this should cover the Rottendog board at least.

Whole thing shipped with chips is 288 And Change so it covers just over Half. I estimated about 300 total to replace ..

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Why on earth would Duracell help in this matter? Their batteries were disclosed as being no good 5+ years ago and he's going to complain about... what exactly?

The expiration date is only in reference to the storage of the batteries unused.

i.e.

Holding a charge.

The device damage/repair is not limited to the expiration date of the battery.

#118 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

Nope no parts back. 150 bucks though. Parts had some green on them anyway.

definitely worth the time it took to contact them

#119 7 years ago

Yes, the Rottendog board has the old RAM in a socket. So only have to remove the part and install the NVRAM. No soldering.

Where would I get the ram? Any pinball nvram work on this?

#120 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

Where would I get the ram? Any pinball nvram work on this?

Need to get ones that are 6264 NVRAM.
This one is $18 plus shipping. http://www.pinitech.com/products/6264_adapter.php
There are others out there too. This has been the one I had been using for 3 years now.

#121 7 years ago

http://nvram.weebly.com/ is this site any good?

#122 7 years ago

Great guy!

#123 7 years ago

finally back together. Now that its back together, can anyone recommend some balls? I got 4 of 6 right now because two of them were rusty.

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

finally back together.

With NVRAM? And result is?

#125 7 years ago

Nope not yet but the batteries can't leak on the board. It's working. Tested a couple balls. Wanted the kids to get to play tonight.

#126 7 years ago

Good. Happy playing. Now get the Dr Dude opened up very soon!!

#127 7 years ago

Good. Happy playing. Now get the Dr Dude opened up very soon!!

Thanks, I am moving some of the stuff in here so hopefully that goes up shortly. Next task is to fix the bulbs that decided to stop working in NGG. Had same problem in TOM and not one of them was dead, had to wiggle all of them to get them working.

#128 7 years ago

Oh the fantastic 555 lamp sockets.

#129 7 years ago

My first major experience with the 555 sockets other than coin doors was with an original Baby Pac's light socket setup (before the 2nd generation matrix board). It was awhile ago and I think my fingers are still bloody.

#130 7 years ago

That will be the adventure this weekend. Gotta get those balls ordered too.

#131 7 years ago

speaking of the nvram, I just looked and indeed the ram is socketed. but its 62256 ram and its rottendog wpc-95 that I read a little bit has an issue using other ram, do you know anything about that?

#132 7 years ago
Quoted from Robl45:

speaking of the nvram, I just looked and indeed the ram is socketed. but its 62256 ram and its rottendog wpc-95 that I read a little bit has an issue using other ram, do you know anything about that?

Replace with 6264 NVRAM. No jumper change should be needed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, VT
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Aurora, CO
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,800 (OBO)
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Decals
FlyLand Designs

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 132 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battery-leak-in-ngg-suggestions-please/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.