(Topic ID: 140750)

Battery holder for Gottlieb System 3 MPU?

By ForceFlow

8 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ypurchn
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

102076.jpg
GottliebSystem3Battery.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Has anyone found a particular coin cell battery holder that fits the through-holes on a Gottlieb System 3 MPU?

One recommendation I found was to use a 24mm holder part # HU2430-LF
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Renata/HU2430-LF/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtT9MhkajLHrrgVRktD4T5fSrXrLD0wydA%3d

However, this holder does not go cleanly onto the board since it doesn't fit the through holes.

Has anyone found another holder that fits the through holes?

MPU battery areaMPU battery area

HU2430-LF holder installed awkwardly and with a jumper wireHU2430-LF holder installed awkwardly and with a jumper wire

#2 8 years ago

Never used batteryholders on system 3 boards, but, if you are interested, I made a few Simtek based NVRAM adapters which work fine on Gottlieb system 3 boards. When using this NVRAM adapter you can remove the Dallas battery montoring chip as it is no longer needed and you need to jumper 2 pads on its footprint.

Marco

#3 8 years ago

Thanks for the heads up.

I was mainly just looking for a cheap drop-in replacement since I had to remove the battery anyway because it started to leak.

#4 8 years ago

You could just leave it on forever

#5 8 years ago

I have a few different coin cell holders, but I will also drill a hole in the board if I absolutely have to.

That setup was for a coin cell with stamped leads, might be hard to find a perfect fit.

#6 8 years ago

I have some I bought on eBay for like 30 cents each that fit pretty good.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I have a few different coin cell holders, but I will also drill a hole in the board if I absolutely have to.
That setup was for a coin cell with stamped leads, might be hard to find a perfect fit.

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid drilling and jumpers to keep it looking clean.

Quoted from cfh:

I have some I bought on eBay for like 30 cents each that fit pretty good.

Do you happen to have a link or model number?

#8 8 years ago

Don't know if these fit perfect, but you can't beat the price

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/coin-battery-holder-cr2025-and-cr2032.html

6 years later
#9 2 years ago

Went deep in searching and couldn’t really figure out what everyone is using so I’m bumping an old.
I don’t wanna go the NVRAM route. Have considered the 2 AA lithium battery pack approach as this is going to be the easiest for my average soldering skills. But if someone has found a button battery holder that fits the existing spots nicely, I may give it a go.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battery-holder-for-gottlieb-system-3-mpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.