Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Spock
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

After sitting for the winter, my Fishtales wouldn't boot, and the CPU LEDs indicated an error. I noticed a bit of battery leakage damage on the U16 pins and I assumed I was in trouble. However, after disconnecting and reconnecting all of the connectors on the CPU board, the machine boots up and runs fine. I played several games without a problem. The question is, should I still pull the CPU board and at least clean the effected area with water/vinegar. I'm worried that the problem may get worse if it goes unattended. By the way, I'm a bit of a pinball newbie. Thanks

#3 8 years ago

Remove the MPU board from the machine and remove the batteries. Clean it with 1 part vinegar 1 part water and use a tooth brush. The vinegar will neutralize the acid. When clean rinse or spray it off. Dry it off with a hair dryer set to cool to get as much standing water off. Then let sit in a dry area for at least a day. I have saved multiple boards doing this. Often never had any damage after cleaned. The furry acid stuff is conductive and can short out things. It will continue to eat away your board if not removed. That is why you need the vinegar.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from tommydjr:

After sitting for the winter, my Fishtales wouldn't boot, and the CPU LEDs indicated an error. I noticed a bit of battery leakage damage on the U16 pins and I assumed I was in trouble. However, after disconnecting and reconnecting all of the connectors on the CPU board, the machine boots up and runs fine. I played several games without a problem. The question is, should I still pull the CPU board and at least clean the effected area with water/vinegar. I'm worried that the problem may get worse if it goes unattended. By the way, I'm a bit of a pinball newbie. Thanks

Your worry is well founded. Battery damage is an invisible killer. I would send the board out for repair and have it properly cleaned and have the affected components replaced. There are several people who post here that can do the repair properly (Chris Hibler, John Wart).

Marc

#5 8 years ago

If the board is working and you scrub it down as I mention above no need to send the board out for repair or replace the parts.

#6 8 years ago

Alkaline is a base, not an acid.

You need to properly repair it. It's like rust, it never sleeps and it will come back when you least expect it.

Remove anything it has come into contact with.

Sand or grind the alkaline out of the traces to bare copper

Seal the board and rebuild.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Alkaline is a base, not an acid

I guess I just get use to the term acid. However Vinegar is an acid that can be used to neutralize the Potassium Hydroxide, or KOH.

And your battery uses Potassium Hydroxide. The boards I cleaned with vinegar are still clean many years later.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 169.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

12,500 (OBO)
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battery-damage-but-working-ok and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.