You

Linked Games

• Taxi Williams, 1988

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_1584.jpg
100_1581.jpg

#1 11 years ago

I've been having some sound/music issues with my taxi. U-4,19,21,and 22 are new from johnwartjr(great service and prices). No difference, and then I saw the corrosion. I replaced the battery holder this past spring, and that wasn't there. I guess there was leakage, but no corrosion yet. It should have been cleaned at the time.
I am confident that I can desolder the chip and clean the board and chip, and get it put back. Does the chip need to be replaced? What are the odds that there is damage to the traces? Or should I just send it to Rob, or Clive?

100_1581.jpg100_1581.jpg 100_1584.jpg100_1584.jpg

#2 11 years ago

Looking at your pictures it looks like you have some damage to some traces and solder pads, there's a good chance that traces running under the chip are far worse as the acid probably wicked under the chip. If you are up to it pull that chip and clean clean clean or send it in for repair then install a remote battery box. Best of luck, that's an ugly one indeed!

#3 11 years ago

Yep - that corrosion has made it's way to both sides of u41. The traces there are very fine and easily damaged. Cleaning the chip legs is not easy - assuming you can get it out without breaking any of the legs off, it's almost impossible to get all the corrosion out from inside the bend where they come out of the package.

What I would do is cut out u41 very carefully to clean and neutralize any acid underneath and then desolder. That gives you a better chance of getting the pins out without damaging the board. Remember the board is worth a lot more than a PIA.

This is why I hate batteries!

Good luck!

viperrwk

#4 11 years ago

Odds are, you have a damaged PIA and traces.

This is a bit tedious to clean up. Not so much difficult as tedious.

You're going to of course have to remove the PIA and neutralize the damage. I think viperrwk is right, this is a good chip to cut out, try to neutralize the damage, and then very carefully desolder pin by pin.

If at any time you feel you are over your head, stop; the traces in this area are tiny and delicate. This is nothing like replacing a GI header or working on a power supply board, they are super super tiny.

Once the alkaline is neutralized (50/50 mix of vinegar and water, or plain yellow mustard), you need to do 2 main tasks

1) Verify the traces are intact. Open your schematic, and follow the traces to each of the 40 pins both directions from the PIA. Top and bottom side of the board.

2) Verify no traces are shorted together. Won't take much to do that!

After that, you can install a new socket, or what I prefer for something like this, socket strips.

A good way to test the PIAs is with a Leon test ROM, logic probe and ATX power supply.

#5 11 years ago

Sound traces on that SYS11 board go right under the battery holder. Pull the battery holder off and follow continuity.

As for the PIA, for sure needs to be cut out. Pins removed one at a time. Use a socket when replacing.

#6 11 years ago

I sent the board out to Rob Anthony today so as not to make things worse in stead of better.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from cowman57:

I sent the board out to Rob Anthony today so as not to make things worse in stead of better.

That was probably the best bet, there was a good chance of damaging and lifting the pads when removing the chip and the traces under the chip are probably bad and need to be redone. Looks like you caught it in time to keep your costs minimal.

#8 11 years ago

had a taxi that had similar battery damage, tried getting the board fixed numerous times to no avail. after the fixes it only lasted a few weeks before not working right again. only thing that fixed my sound issues was a new board. once the battery leak gets inside the board, its sometimes really hard to get the board stable- no matter how much cleaning and repairing are done. best of luck with it

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Cabinet Parts
Gizmorama Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battery-corrosion-repair-on-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.