(Topic ID: 251247)

Battery Corrosion experts

By robertmee

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    20190911_143651 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robertmee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Looking at this picture is the bit of black in the ground mask, corrosion underneath the green mastic. Do I need to sand this entire area?

The area that already has mastic loss is from the glue or insulator material the factory used underneath the battery holder.

20190911_143651 (resized).jpg20190911_143651 (resized).jpg
    #3 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, you'll need to sand the affected areas to get rid of the alkaline spreading across the copper traces. Untreated, it will continue to spread and corrode. Looks like you got lucky and the damage was fairly limited so far.

The damage wasn't too bad...down the left side to RA9 for the solenoid driver. So most of the blanking circuit. Two IC's, the 555 timer, about 10 resistors, a resistor bank, and 6 or so caps. Was in an Operator's game that had been stored for who knows how long. A shame too, because it looks like they had shopped the game before storage.

But back to my question, so I understand you correctly, do you think that mottled blackness in the entire ground trace area is corrosion? So sand it down to the bare copper, the entire quadrant?

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yeah, I usually treat the area, sand it, then treat it again.

Basically, everything highlighted:
    [quoted image]
    Also, it looks like you're either using too much heat desoldering, or holding your desoldering iron on the PCB too long. You're burning it.

Thanks for the highlight!

Didn't notice any burn...the discoloration around the holes is the alkaline damage...I haven't treated it yet with Zep. The backside was fine, so I desoldered most components from the back.

#8 4 years ago

I have a fiber pen for the small stuff, but for an area that large, what grit paper do you recommend?

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

I use a Dremel with an abrasive buff. Makes it easier to precisely control where you are removing the material and it's more delicate to the board than sandpaper. Won't take much effort to clean that entire affected area.

Good idea...I did start with some 150 grit...slow going but it came off....I'll use the dremel to make it more square and presentable.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinballwil:

This low corrosion i only clean up.
    No need for expensive repair.

This board already had some previous repairs and lifted/damaged traces, so I figured it's a good board to practice on. Plus nearly everyone is out of replacement DE MPU's. I have a spare RD for the game until I get this one fixed.

#13 4 years ago

Have some traces to repair with hookup wire. What's the best way to secure wire to board to relieve mechanical stress at solder point between wire and old trace? Hot glue or something different?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robertmee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battery-corrosion-experts?tu=robertmee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.