5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jibmums
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jibmums.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I picked up a T2 in December whose batteries had leaked onto the MPU, the corrosion got as far down the board as a couple of switch pins & connectors. The board has been repaired by Chris Hibler and I cut off the affected connectors with about an inch or so of wiring, figuring I'd crimp new terminals when ready. Last night while crimping some new GI terminals, I checked those switch wires and found the cut ends had blue fuzz on the same wires where the connectors were affected by corrosion, so obviously the alkali had wicked its way down the wiring even before I cut off the connectors. What are my options here, is it likely that the corrosion has spread all the way down the wire and the entire thing must be replaced, right up to the switch? Is there a way to determine how far down the wire it has spread? Sorry so many questions, the last thing I want is to find the corrosion has spread back into my freshly repaired MPU in a few months.

#3 5 years ago

How can you tell if the wire is clean? When I originally cut off the affected connectors months ago, the ends of the exposed wires were shiny and then last night I found that telltale blue fuzz on them.

One other thing while I'm thinking of it, the corrosion won't spread down the outside / insulation, will it? I assume it only spreads down metal?

I'm considering, just to be on the safe side, of cutting a good 6" - 8" length off the wires and then replacing that length with wire from a donor harness out of another game. I want to be absolutely sure of eliminating any affected wire.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 21.95
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jibmums.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/battery-acid-worked-its-way-into-wiring?tu=jibmums and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.