• Latest reply 12 years ago by Letter_K
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

batteryspeaker.jpg
#1 12 years ago

Is this normal? And if the game sound started up fine but starts to get quieter as you play, could these batteries be the problem?

batteryspeaker.jpgbatteryspeaker.jpg

#2 12 years ago

Aren't those capacitors?

#3 12 years ago

Yeah looks like they are

#4 12 years ago

those aren't batteries, maybe someone was trying to get rid of the hummmm or something, not sure thats the right approach

#5 12 years ago

Those are Electrolytic Capacitors. It looks like someone was trying to built a low pass filter for the audio for some reason (impedance matching maybe??). You shouldn't need them. You can unplug the CAPs and see if it makes a difference. It won't hurt the audio circuit.

G

#6 12 years ago

Wha'ts interesting is they are wired in opposing polarity (+ to + and Minus to terminals). In an AC circuit, I suppose this doesn't matter, but in a DC circuit, that is a problem. It looks like the one on the left in the photo may be bulging a little. If that's the case, the cap may be going bad and this could cause a problem if the cap is shorting internally (especially after power is applied for a little while) it could reduce the audio level.

G

#7 12 years ago

Sweet mod!

#8 12 years ago

An interesting way to make up a unidirectional capacitor.

#9 12 years ago

My BoP has these installed. Wasn't sure they weren't stock. Haven't really looked closely at them yet since the sound works fine. Will have to check them out when I get home.

#10 12 years ago

K, What machine is that in (above picture). You never mentioned.

My BoP has these installed

Really... interesting. I don't ever remember that being stock on old machines. That's why my previous question. Could be wrong though

G

#11 12 years ago

Polarized electrolytic caps break down when they are reversed biased. These caps are primarily intended for applications such as smoothing out power supply ripples and are really poor caps for audio filters. They way these are wired, they could be going in and out of breakdown with an audio AC signal. I would clip them out. For a simple low pass on a woofer, a series inductor is a better choice. - Phil

#12 12 years ago

Yeah, its a BoP. Someone asked for my advice on their machine after seeing my blogsite. I haven't looked at my BoP as it is routed downtown. Maybe it is normal for them?

And are we of a mind that if they are simply removed the game will still have sound just fine?

#13 12 years ago

would say the task worthy if just to see what will happen

#14 12 years ago

I went to service my BoP today and it has the caps on its speaker too. It seems odd to me. Are other games like this too?

#15 12 years ago

My BK2000 doesn't have them nor do my other WPC games. Was there something special (good or bad) with BoP's sound where they need those caps?

#16 12 years ago

The girl is pretty dirty with her pillow talk. Maybe the caps are just for protection?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Memphis, TN
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
$ 9.99
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
DevilsMuse Arcade

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

3,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Firestone, CO
£ 58.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westminster, MA
$ 27.95
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

£ 69.00
Playfield - Other
PinballToys

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batteries-attached-to-the-speaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.