WP_20140526_22_01_03_Pro.jpg
WP_20140526_22_00_40_Pro.jpg
WP_20140526_22_00_46_Pro.jpg
DSCF2331.JPG
DSCF2330.JPG
DSCF2329.JPG
DSCF2328.JPG
#1 10 years ago

SO... i bought it. It was a steal at $250 i think.
Needs some playfield love for sure.

Heres the history behind this one.
Apparently in 195x the owners used to play this exact same machine at an arcade on Balboa Island California when he was a child in the 50s and it was his favorite machine.

At some point after the child's father bout the machine from the arcade from him an its been on a trip thru Pennsylvania and finally ended up in Texas with the daughter of the child who was the current owner.

They tried to get the machine repaired a few years ago and something went wrong and the owners state that the transaction went bad and the machine wasn't repaired. They were right if current state is any indication.

So far ive repaired some broken wires, adjusted a bunch of switches that were way wrong, bent the score motor frame in to the correct position so that the stack next to it doesnt short and have been able to sort of play.

I cant get GI lights yet it seems and It wont goto game over. Theres a nail in the bottom of the running man unit where a roll pin should be.

All the steppers are gummed up and need some rebuilding and theres enough grease on the mechs under the playfield to take care of my trucks transmission.

Does anyone happen to have a schematic for this one? Ill email PBR monday and see if they do.

Also if i need parts whos the pitch and bat parts goto man. I would really like to get an original bat instead of the plastic one.

Any ways, heres some pics.
--Jeff

DSCF2210.JPGDSCF2210.JPG
DSCF2211.JPGDSCF2211.JPG
DSCF2215.JPGDSCF2215.JPG
DSCF2222.JPGDSCF2222.JPG
DSCF2227.JPGDSCF2227.JPG
DSCF2228.JPGDSCF2228.JPG
DSCF2231.JPGDSCF2231.JPG
DSCF2233.JPGDSCF2233.JPG
DSCF2234.JPGDSCF2234.JPG

#2 10 years ago

Very very cool! I hope you document the restore.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Renegade:

I hope you document the restore.

Yea please do Jeff, who knows I may want one too.

Nice price and a fun game. Looking forward to seeing it restored.

Ken

#4 10 years ago

What a sweet deal. I can't wait to see it. Congrats

Jason

#5 10 years ago

Just trying to get it running currently.

GI Lights are now fixed, I think the game over and runs not showing is an issue with the steppers. Rebuilding steppers is next.

So much grease bleh.....

I cranked the rheostat and the bat is way fast. I think ill turn that down a bit

Went over the playfield with novus 2 and it did a decent job of removing blemishes and dirt

Anyone in town is welcome to come play.

--Jeff

WP_20140202_002.jpgWP_20140202_002.jpg
#6 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

GI Lights are now fixed, I think the game over and runs not showing is an issue with the steppers. Rebuilding steppers is next.

Gee Jeff. I thought by now you would have finished the complete restoration and moved on to buying another game.

Ken

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Gee Jeff. I thought by now you would have finished the complete restoration and moved on to buying another game.

Give me another 20 min....

--Jeff

#8 10 years ago

Way cool find! I like the forced perspective of the press box.

Jeremy Agema
Central WI

#9 10 years ago

I've got a stash of EMs for you to work on if you run out of projects.

Jason

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from SchertzPinball:

I've got a stash of EMs for you to work on if you run out of projects.

Jason

Yea Jason, best to keep Jeff busy while we play pinball and enjoy alcoholic beverages as Jeff does not repair well under the influence.

Ken

#11 10 years ago

Ken you mean I don't repair well NOT under the influence.

Jason. Cow poke is next...

--Jeff

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Ken you mean I don't repair well NOT under the influence.

I stand corrected sir! Drink up and be merry!

Ken

#14 10 years ago

That brew looks like it's been sitting too long!

#16 10 years ago

Cool Jeff, and i see the number of pins in your collection just keeps growing!!!!

1 month later
#17 10 years ago

Well ive finally found some time for this baby.
Ive rebuild the 3 steppers and have them working well. The credit unit was a mess but is now working as expected also.

Im running blind with out a schematic but am thinking of drawing my own. anyone done this?

The next unit of order is removing all the grease and clean up the units under the playfield. I think there is about a pound of grease on these units.

I decided to use Formula 88 (cleaner and degreaser that is 5$ a gallon) and my trusty harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner
First up , batter unit

-- Jeff

DSCF2255.JPGDSCF2255.JPG
DSCF2258.JPGDSCF2258.JPG
DSCF2259.JPGDSCF2259.JPG
DSCF2262.JPGDSCF2262.JPG
DSCF2263.JPGDSCF2263.JPG
DSCF2264.JPGDSCF2264.JPG

#18 10 years ago

I had the same machine a while back. The Playfields are wood and are usually pretty rough. This one was in amazing original condition. i bought this from a guy that owned it for at least 40 years.
image-415.jpgimage-415.jpgimage-235.jpgimage-235.jpgimage-946.jpgimage-946.jpgimage-124.jpgimage-124.jpgimage-151.jpgimage-151.jpgimage-801.jpgimage-801.jpgimage-708.jpgimage-708.jpgimage-879.jpgimage-879.jpgimage-695.jpgimage-695.jpg

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Im running blind with out a schematic but am thinking of drawing my own. anyone done this?
-- Jeff

Nice progress!

I have drawn one circuit on a machine when I didn't have the schematic. I wouldn't want to draw the whole machine wiring diagram but one circuit is not too bad.
--
Jeremy Agema
Central WI

2 months later
#20 9 years ago

Ive had time to clean the pitching unit. There was a ton of grease on it as you can see.
Having cleaned it ive uncovered a few issues.
1. The coil is toast. Im trying to find a new one but have no clue. All of the manual pitch style units 52 and earlier had this coil so im hoping someone can come up with a coil number

2. The round bar/peg that pushes the teeth bar forward into the pitch spinner mech has a huge groove it. Im not sure if thats normal but if its not I guess ill need to JB Weld that and see how it holds up. Id bet that the part itself is unobtanium. I need to mess with the actual pitch spinner first to make sure that is mechanically ok before i decide anything

--Jeff

DSCF2324.JPGDSCF2324.JPG
DSCF2325.JPGDSCF2325.JPG
DSCF2326.JPGDSCF2326.JPG
DSCF2327.JPGDSCF2327.JPG
DSCF2328.JPGDSCF2328.JPG
DSCF2329.JPGDSCF2329.JPG
DSCF2330.JPGDSCF2330.JPG
DSCF2331.JPGDSCF2331.JPG

#21 9 years ago

After pics

WP_20140526_22_00_40_Pro.jpgWP_20140526_22_00_40_Pro.jpg WP_20140526_22_00_46_Pro.jpgWP_20140526_22_00_46_Pro.jpg WP_20140526_22_01_03_Pro.jpgWP_20140526_22_01_03_Pro.jpg WP_20140526_22_01_19_Pro.jpgWP_20140526_22_01_19_Pro.jpg
#22 9 years ago

Looking good, Jeff!!

1 week later
#23 9 years ago

So lately ive been trying to start a game.
I couldnt figure out how to start. The only user interaction that I saw was the bat handle. I couldnt find any trace from the bat in any way to the reset coil.

I have one of the original cards and it says "Press The Button To start the Game". No freaking button on my machine WTF.
So the only other thing i see to press is the coin return mech. I took out the nickel unit and lo and behold theres a switch in addition to all the coin stuff.

I trace the switch back and lo and behold it goes to the reset coil. So.. clean and adjust the switch, score motor reset relay.

Nothing

Well the only other switch in the circuit that i can figure out goes from the score motor to the lock relay over to the credit unit.

Suffice to say the credit unit is for lack of a better term JACKED. The switches are in a position that never woudl work with the way the unit steps up and down. Its pretty much the same as the later williams credit units so i disassemble and clean the thing and then put the switches in the way that it makes sense (i think)

2 simple switches with one long blade and one short blade.

I adjust the switch i think is 0 position to open at 0 and closed at 1 credit which jives with a similar schematic and the fact that you cant start a game with 0 credits via the button.

I adjust the other switch i think is the max credits switch to closed and open at max.

Plug it up and VIOLA I can start a new Game!!!!!!!!!!

SO because im anal and want to verify my fix i try the switches in all possible positions with credits on the machine which is a huge PITA because the top panel has to come out and the credit unit is at the worst possible position ever.

It seems as if i have it correct for now. I think now electrically I have it at 85%. I still need to rebuild and adjust the runner unit so that the runners stay on and run to the correct bases.

Im excited to be getting further along as im really wanting to start in on the playfield

--Jeff

#24 9 years ago

Sounds great Jeff.

Love finding something you know should be there, the Haha moment.

Enjoyed the post, entertaining.

My neighbour dropped off her 1979 –Rock-Ola 477 Dukebox for me to take a look.
Fortunate, she had the schematic in her hand too.
Tested to make sure it was safe, added power, nothing.
Noticed the mains was wired wrong, active and neutral ass about. I metered the wires, got odd readings. Removed the mains lead and found tape over a bit. And found this below, why would you tape around that?.... That fixed it, right!

IMG_20140608_205041_746.jpgIMG_20140608_205041_746.jpg

#25 9 years ago

Nice progress!

2 months later
#26 9 years ago

update.
I finally cleaned the rest of the pitching unit. The interesting thing about this is I think its the last year 52 that williams used the pure mechanical ones.

After polishing it up and cleaning out the grease and some adjustment with the help of Btw75 it works wonderfully.

Now im working on the running man unit and making sure its adjusted properly.

The men seem to overrun the bases so the base lights do not come on. Im not sure if there should be a clutch onthe motor or whether the latch on the running unit isnt shutting off on time.

I also sent a backglass request to bgresto so we will see how that turns out

here are some before and after pics of the mechanical pitching unit

--Jeff

DSCF2354.JPGDSCF2354.JPG
DSCF2360.JPGDSCF2360.JPG
DSCF2366.JPGDSCF2366.JPG
DSCF2367.JPGDSCF2367.JPG

#27 9 years ago

Wow, that looks great.

#28 9 years ago

Nice work Jeff.

Now hurry up and fix that thing before I get down there so I can play it.

No pressure.

Ken

#29 9 years ago

Nice work, Jeff.

1 week later
#30 9 years ago

OK more work done.
So ive going thru the running man unit. There is a loading coil that is supposed to activate so that the men get pushed up above the diamond.

I noticed that the coil bracket had been bent up so that any time the player passes the loading coil a player pops up.
This became evident when a double loads a man on 2nd and a man on 1st

Im pretty sure that thats not how baseball works. Thats not how any of this works!

So i unbent the relay bracket and screwed the loading relay assembly back into the correct position.

Great! except for the fact that the coil never pulls in. never. So now when a run happens no man ever loads onto the diamond. Hmmm baseball doesnt work like that either.

Tracing the wires looks like everything is there and continuity check out. Still i couldnt figure it out.
I did find continuity between the running man switches and the whole metal assy. Thats not good. Turns out that the switches had worn thru the fishpaper. Fixed that on 3 switches.

Better but no loading coil. the switch that activates the loading coil was jacked from a previously done repair so i replaced one of the blades to make that sound.

loading coil does seem to work on the lock in circuit so i knew that the coil itself was good

Off to the schematics. Oh wait thats right. no one on earth has a schematic for this machine
Luckily i have schematics for the year before and year after.
Interestingly enough the wire colors for this circuit and the circuit itself is almost exactly the same from 51 - 53 it looks like

heres the circuit

schematicschematic

easy enough lets check the wires.

blue/white from motor relay switch to loading coil checks
blue white from the outs unit to the jones plug to the single switch works
single switch to second jones plug male connectors check out
second jones plug female connector to motor relay switch ........ hmmmmm i think i might see the issue

missing wire on female connectormissing wire on female connector

non existant blue / white wirenon existant blue / white wire

for some reason the entire wire was missing, gone ,verschwinden.
SO long story short. i went to the garage and found an appropriate piece of blue / white wire and fed it thru the harness.

Baseball now loads running men correctly!! Im really enjoying working on this machine. Now to figure out why the bell doesn't work when the running men load

--Jeff

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Thats not how any of this works!

Thats becoming a popular line lately... Old lady Geico commercials seem to spread the slang.

Anyway nice detective work on that,why people pull wires out of harnesses on pinball or cars/trucks for that matter always aggravates me,at the very least disconnect it and leave it there.

Thats good your getting some headway on it,keep us updated.

#32 9 years ago

Nice work, hard to expect a completely missing wire.

#33 9 years ago

Nice find, Jeff. That game is in the right hands.

#34 9 years ago

Nice detective work!

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

for some reason the entire wire was missing, gone ,verschwinden.
SO long story short. i went to the garage and found an appropriate piece of blue / white wire and fed it thru the harness.

Baseball now loads running men correctly!! Im really enjoying working on this machine

Always fun to find a major problem, come up with a solution, fix it, and see the machine perform that particular function correctly after possibly years of it being inactive. Congrats Jeff!

Ken

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batter-up-1954-williams-deluxe-world-series and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.