New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 86679)

First Pin Upgrades

By derek533

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Dr-Willy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I'm wanting to do the LED flipper buttons and would also like to add a led strip on the back of the playfield as well as some side mirrors.

How hard to install are the LED flipper buttons and how are they wired in?

For the LED strip light, I just plan on plugging it into the service outlet on the transformer. Will that work and what else do I need besides the strip and the transformer?

I'd also like to do a laseriffic topper (BF) but it appears as though he doesn't make it anymore. Anyone know if he still does?

Thanks

Post edited by derek533: Edited for More General Questions

#2 6 years ago

Edited original post so it isn't machine specific and may get some responses. Thanks

#3 6 years ago

plugging in to the service outlet will leave the strip on all the time unless you unplug your game. Lite up flipper buttons are a piece of cake to install

#4 6 years ago

Ok thanks. Yeah, I always turn my game off when no one is playing so that really isn't an issue for me.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from derek533:

Ok thanks. Yeah, I always turn my game off when no one is playing so that really isn't an issue for me.

Even when the machine is off, the power on the service outlet still runs. Only way to shut that off is to pull the plug. A good idea would be to solder the ends of the LED strip to some alligator clips. Then you can easily clip it onto one of your light or flasher sockets and find the best lighting pattern.

A great add to any game is an external sub. Makes the game sound awesome!

LED under-cab lighting is a great add as well. See Chris at RockCustomPinball.com for the best, and easiest set up period.

Good luck bro.

#6 6 years ago

^^Thanks man. I'll look into it.

#7 6 years ago

The first thing I like to do is get the incandescent bulbs out if it's a newer machine. Some older ones require a new lamp driver board to be able to power LEDs. I don't know how much it helps with a machine at home that doesn't stay on for long periods of time, but the less power consumed and heat generated, the better, IMHO.

I would also research the title and get plastic protectors or mylar for any spots subject to breakage or wear.

Kinda lame mods, I know. I like to get the functional ones done, then think about the shiney ones!

#8 6 years ago

led buttons are easy, vid did a guide which is what i followed for mine and it was piece of cake.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 224.99
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Raymond, WA
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Sale Pending!
Gardner, MA
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Boards
PinSound

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside