90.jpg
89.jpg
88.jpg
87.jpg
86.jpg
84_pf.jpg
82_pfstripped.jpg

#1 6 years ago

This is another restore that has been completed by my father and I thought I would document it here. I posted his Taxi restore that is in progress the other day. This one however is complete. He picked this machine up in a partial sale/trade of his Jurassic Park. It was a pretty rough game, but we thought it had potential as a restore candidate. The back of the cabinet and back of the playfield had water damage. Everything was corroded/rusted. Cannon didn't work, gun was lose, powder coat was flaking off of the wire forms, etc. The game did however mostly work and the playfield was in pretty good condition. Here are some pictures of it as we picked it up.

01_playfield01.jpg02_playfield02.jpg03_playfield03.jpg04_DMD.jpg05_Playfield.jpg06_Playfield.jpg07_Playfield.jpg07_Playfield.jpg08_Shooterlane.jpg09_cabdamage1.jpg10_cabdamage.jpg11_cabdamage.jpg12_cabdamage.jpg13_cabdamage.jpg14_powercord.jpg15_cabrepair.jpg16_raildamage.jpg16_raildamage.jpg17_dirtycab.jpg18_dirtycab.jpg19_dirtycab.jpg20_dirtycab.jpg21_waterdamage.jpg22_front holes.jpg23_bottomdamage.jpg24_cleaningbegins.jpg24_cleaningbegins.jpg25_frontdamage.jpg26_bottom damage.jpg27_backdamage.jpg28_backdamage.jpg

As you can see, it needed some love. First up, the cab. Body work first.

29_bottomsanding.jpg30_bottomclean.jpg31_backfixing.jpg

The bottom edge need to be fixed and reinforced. He attached a small strip to the bottom inside and then used body filler to fill in the gaps. It is nice and strong now and we don't have to worry about it chipping out any longer.
32_bottomrepair.jpg

Next up, some repainting and new decals to fix the damage.
33_cabrepair.jpg35_cabpaint.jpg36_cabpaint.jpg37cabpaint.jpg38_cabpaint.jpg39_cabpaint.jpg40_cabpaint.jpg41_cabpaint.jpg42_cabpaint.jpg43_cabpaint.jpg44_cabpaint.jpg

Obligatory rusty lock receiver pic and cleaning.
34_rustylock.jpg52_lockbarclean.jpg

I personally have always found the Batcave that sits on the left side of the game very ugly. So I repainted it.
45_cabpaint.jpg

Next a new hole is cut for the 10" sub upgrade.
46_newspeaker.jpg

More cab touchup and painting.
47_cabdecaltest.jpg48_cabpaint.jpg49_cabpaint.jpg50_bottompaint.jpg51_bottompaint.jpg53_gunpaint.jpg

Time for clearcoat on the cabinet.
54_cabclear.jpg55_cabclear.jpg56_cabclear.jpg

Dad thought the inside of the cab was just too stained and water damaged to leave as is. He tried several different shades of beige, but decided to go all out. He went with green. I like it
58_cabgreen.jpg

Since the wireforms needed new paint, he decided to get the armor poweder coated as well. The purple in these pictures is not really representative of the final color. It is a much darker, richer purple in person. It looks good.
58b_Powder.JPG59_cabgreen.jpg60_tilt.jpg61_powdercab.jpg62_coindoor.jpg63_TRANSFORMER.jpg

Some new decals had to be made to fix the front of the cabinet. You can see some test fitting here with a paper printout. Waterslide decals were used on the final after the white was painted. Another coat of clear was then applied.64_cabdecals.jpg65_cabdecals.jpg66_cabwhite.jpg

The cab is complete. Next: The playfield.
67_cabpowder.jpg68_cabpowder.jpg69_cabinside.jpg70_cabinside.jpg71_cabinside.jpg72_cabinside.jpg73_cabdone.jpg

As you can see there was some water damage to the back of the playfield. Mainly to the back board. A new one was made by my brother on a CNC machine. The playfield itself was in fairly good condition, so only minor work was needed before a few coats of clear were applied. Then on to cleaning and reassmebly
74_playfieldwaterdamage.jpg80_playfieldwater.jpg81_shooterlane fixed.jpg82_pfstripped.jpg84_pf.jpg86.jpg87.jpg88.jpg87.jpg88.jpg89.jpg90.jpg91.jpg92.jpg93.jpg93b.jpg94.jpg95.jpg96.jpg

There you go. All in all I think it turned out great considering the state of the machine when he got it. My dad does great work and it is awesome to see what he can do with a game. I help out here and there where I can, but for every hour I work on these machines, he works 10. If you want to see it in person, the machine will be on display for play at the Texas Pinball Festival in a few weeks. We are in the process of putting a DMDextender system in for the display to give it some color.

#2 6 years ago

Very cool, going to be shopping out mine soon. Sady missing a few plastics and they are hard to find now.

#3 6 years ago

Nice job!

#4 6 years ago

Great work!

I'm very impressed.

You really made that machine nice.

#5 6 years ago

Thanks.

BTW, if anybody cares I keep a blog on Facebook regarding our work. I update it weekly with info and pics on the games we are currently working. We are not professionals and do not claim to be. This is just a hobby that my dad and I can share together. Feel free to stop by and like the page. My friend Allan also contributes to the page with his restoration work.

https://www.facebook.com/jurassicarcade

#6 6 years ago

Unbelievable! The BF I picked up years ago on ebay has similar damage to the cabinet that your "before pictures" had. I knew it was fixable. I just haven't attempted it yet. Your finished product is what I dreamed it would look like. Thank you for proof that it can be done! Your hard work paid off-it looks better than new!

#7 6 years ago

That was sick! Can you paint my batcave? I agree it sucks!

#8 6 years ago

Thanks for posting. I learn so much from others here. Using the small airbrush to touch up the cabinet is a good idea.

#9 6 years ago

You both do amazing work!

#11 6 years ago

Wow, that is awesome! I can't believe I may get to play that machine at TPF. Really looking forward to it as I would consider buying a BF in the future. Been wanting to play a nice one for a while now.

#12 6 years ago

Nice work and attention to detail!

#14 6 years ago

That's unbelievable , totally amazing!!!! thanx for sharing!!!!

#15 6 years ago

This is the best Batman Forever I have ever seen! thanks for the eye candy!

2 weeks later
#17 6 years ago

Just an update. My dad took Batman Forever to the Texas Pinball Festival this weekend and ended up getting 1st Place in the 90's category. It was a great honor as the 90's division was one of if not the largest division at the show and there were just some stunning games on display. Congrats Dad

FullSizeRender.jpg
#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Just an update. My dad took Batman Forever to the Texas Pinball Festival this weekend and ended up getting 1st Place in the 90's category. It was a great honor as the 90's division was one of if not the largest division at the show and there were just some stunning games on display. Congrats Dad

FullSizeRender.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Congratulations to your dad! It was well-deserved and a beautiful machine to look at. (I kind of sucked at playing it, but that's beside the point.) It was great meeting all you guys from Springfield and am looking forward to it again next year!

#19 6 years ago

This machine was absolutely stunning in person. A well deserved win! Amazing stuff.

#20 6 years ago

Unbelievable job!! Talent and credit to both of you.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from kst8cat:

Congratulations to your dad! It was well-deserved and a beautiful machine to look at. (I kind of sucked at playing it, but that's beside the point.) It was great meeting all you guys from Springfield and am looking forward to it again next year!

Thanks, it was great meeting everybody at the festival. Such a great time, I hate we have to wait a whole year to go again

I get what you mean by sucking at the game. It is feast or famine with me. I was at my parents house last night and had one good game and about a dozen terrible games....lol. Some great shots on the game but a lot of them are tight.

#22 6 years ago

Wow, the green inner cab and purple hardware are too cool. Congrats!

3 years later
#23 3 years ago

Just stumbled upon this and have a question: Where do you get the purple post sleeve that are the SHORTER WIDER ones you find on so many Data East games, usually around the lower half of metal posts? They look like some kind of Cliffy-type thing on this resto, but I've never seen them available anywhere... (??)

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside