(Topic ID: 125361)

Batman Forever ramp divertor is possessed.

By Rhlufa

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Rhlufa
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Have had this pin in my collection close to a year with no issue with the ramp divertor. Last night I turn it on and after about 5 minutes I hear a noise from the game. I look over and see the ramp divertor is in the up position. Then it goes down then up again. And this is in attract mode. At one point it goes crazy up, down, up down...several times and won't stop. Finally it stops. I start a game and the ramp works when it should from the exit of the left ramp. Then throughout the game it gets erratic again. Game ended I sit down and it starts its raising and lowering the ramp divertor again. Same today. It's it possessed? I checked the wiring to the coil and all is fine. Am I wrong that there is a control going out telling the divertor to act in this manner? Any help would be great ...or do I need an exorcism?

#2 9 years ago

My guess is one of four things, divide and conquer:

1) playfield wiring issue, intermittent short to ground
2) drive circuitry going out (pre-drive or drive transistor)
3) logic circuitry that feeds the drive circuitry flaking out (changing logic state when it shouldn't, etc.)
4) PIA is flaking out

Can eliminate #1 by unplugging control line connector to coil from board

If issue remains, put a logic probe on the base of the pre-drive transistor and see if there is a state change (low to high) when the diverter fires. If not, replace both the pre-drive and drive transistors.

If there is a logic state change at the base of the pre-drive transistor when the coil fires, put the logic probe on the PIA output pin than controls that coil channel. If there is a state change there, replace PIA. If not, replace logic chips between PIA and transistors. Also check resistor array.

Last bet is a factory reset to exorcise the demon.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks, I will check those and post. Won't be until tomorrow when I'm off though. Thanks!
Ray

#4 9 years ago

Looks like it was a rookie oversite on my part Ad. Saw while at work the schematic has the divertor coil in the 12 position on the connector to the board. Got home opened the BB and low and behold the wire was brittle and barely seated in the connector and clear signs of heating in that position on the connector. I've reseated it and so far after being on 30 min. No issues. So I'll be changing out the connector, stripping new wire and repinning tomorrow.

Thanks, if you didn't reply I would not have got into the schematic and looked which led me to the find the issue that is so basic. 40 min. Now and the demons are still not appearing!

TY! If things change I'll repost!

Ray

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.00
Boards
PinSound

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.95
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-forever-ramp-divertor-is-possessed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.