Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by crusinsam
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DE baterry corroded MPU (resized).png
IMG_3513 (resized).JPG
IMG_3512 (resized).JPG
IMG_3511 (resized).JPG
IMG_3510 (resized).JPG
IMG_3506 (resized).JPG
IMG_3505 (resized).JPG
IMG_3504 (resized).JPG
IMG_3503 (resized).JPG

#1 2 years ago

Here is the history:
I got the machine on a trade. The DMD was out. When it went out it took out it burnt connectors CN1 and CN8 on the power supply board. The person before me hacked the board and soldered wires to the traces. I replaced the bad DMD with a Dr. Pinball Color Coversion Kit. This set-up worked fine with the hacked power supply board.

Here is what I've done:
I decided to replace the power supply board with a new one from Marco(Gulf Pinball) to get rid of the rats nest of wiring from the hack job. I replaced connectors CN1 and CN8 with new connectors following the schematic carefully to make sure the wires were put in the correct locations.

When I turn on the machine everything appears to be good in attract mode. As soon as I start a game everything acts wacky.

Here are the voltages from the test points on the new board:
TP1: +5VDC measured at: 4.96
TP2: GND
TP3: +12VDC measured at: 11.90
TP4: -12VDC. measured at: -14.29

Is the new board bad? Where should I go from here?

#2 2 years ago

Those voltages seem OK.

Do you have a new RAM chip to swap?

Let's see some good pictures of those boards, especially around the batteries on the MPU

#3 2 years ago

Before pictures. I'll post after pictures in a few.

IMG_3503 (resized).JPG

IMG_3504 (resized).JPG

IMG_3505 (resized).JPG

IMG_3506 (resized).JPG

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from crusinsam:

When I turn on the machine everything appears to be good in attract mode. As soon as I start a game everything acts wacky.

Need more detail on what is acting up.

#5 2 years ago

After pics

IMG_3510 (resized).JPG

IMG_3511 (resized).JPG

IMG_3512 (resized).JPG

IMG_3513 (resized).JPG

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Need more detail on what is acting up.

The display switches back and forth between what it should be displaying and the Sega Display Version A1.00 screen. Sounds are off, keeps saying suppose we flip for it. Locks up on the bonus screen at the end of ball 1. Doesn't go to ball 2.

#7 2 years ago

Lots of battery leakage on that CPU. That's certainly where your problem is going to be.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

Lots of battery leakage on that CPU. That's certainly where your problem is going to be.

I agree. I wonder how easy/costly it would be to repair correctly. The ground plane was hit pretty hard.DE baterry corroded MPU (resized).png

#9 2 years ago

Not disagreeing with you, but why would it play fine with the old power supply board and not with the new one? Would the new one be more sensitive with grounding issues than the old one?

#10 2 years ago

There are other parts below the battery holder area that are also damaged. This happens to be the reset and main CPU chip. Battery corrosion is like cancer. It can do good one day and not another, but eventually it will not boot at all as it gets worse if it is not treated soon/properly.

Have you swapped back to the old power supply since installing the new one to see if the problems are still there? I suspect the problems are still there.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

There are other parts below the battery holder area that are also damaged. This happens to be the reset and main CPU chip. Battery corrosion is like cancer. It can do good one day and not another, but eventually it will not boot at all as it gets worse if it is not treated soon/properly.
Have you swapped back to the old power supply since installing the new one to see if the problems are still there? I suspect the problems are still there.

Agreed. I'll swap the old back in for a quick test tomorrow. Stay tuned.

#12 2 years ago

So I put the old power supply board back in and it works fine. The only difference I can tell is there is a hum coming through the speakers in attract mode.

Old board voltages:

TP1: 5.04
TP2: GND
TP3: 10.44
TP4: -14.67

Where should I go from here?

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from crusinsam:

I can tell is there is a hum coming through the speakers in attract mode.

That is just Data East games. It is normal.

#14 2 years ago

Still hard to believe the new board is causing those type of problems when the voltages are measuring good. Your 12volts on the old power supply is low, 10.44v. It should be at least 11.75v.

I suggest contacting whoever you bought the new power supply from and see if they will swap the board. I personally never hear of that company before. If I ever need an aftermarket power supply, I go with Xpin over all others.

#15 2 years ago

How are you putting the old board back in? With those old hacks are you using different connectors / connections? If the old board works fine it's not on the CPU board. I suspect it may be a wiring issue.

#16 2 years ago

****UPDATE****

I called Marco and they gave me the number to their distributor for the board. I called him and he let me know that they had a run of bad chips and that could be the issue. He told me to test the +5V when it starting giving issues and also to wiggle the heat sink for the chip to see if they voltage would fall out. I did and that was the issue. I'm going to send the board back to him to replace the chip.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,200 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Hickory, NC
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 224.99
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside