You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

7C5F48F1-E86A-4504-A280-5804DBABFD66 (resized).jpeg
985A0339-01D1-4B1B-AC0B-8C48116382D8 (resized).jpeg
4E5C4752-38D5-43BF-B23C-D9DC75E155AC (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

HI - Have someone who wants to sell me their Batman Forever machine - looks like it has been hardly touched, BUT according to the older gentleman, there is a wiring issue that makes it not work. He thinks it's an easy fix, but due to his own medical issues, he cannot do it himself (retired engineer) and does not want to pay someone to get it repaired. Know his family, so I believe the story.
SOOOOOO, the point of all this - what should I offer him? I will have to get it moved and repaired. Thoughts?

4E5C4752-38D5-43BF-B23C-D9DC75E155AC (resized).jpeg4E5C4752-38D5-43BF-B23C-D9DC75E155AC (resized).jpeg7C5F48F1-E86A-4504-A280-5804DBABFD66 (resized).jpeg7C5F48F1-E86A-4504-A280-5804DBABFD66 (resized).jpeg985A0339-01D1-4B1B-AC0B-8C48116382D8 (resized).jpeg985A0339-01D1-4B1B-AC0B-8C48116382D8 (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

Some things to consider:

-history of weak flipper coils
-narrow shots and ramps, harder for beginners.
-watch out for cracked green ramps
-Oversized DMD is "rare".
-I found the software shallow.
-I had a LAH right next to mine, and it was favored by a lot.
-you might have to reflow solder on the batwing board
-batwing canon slows the game wwwwaaaayyyyy down
-20x bonus is imbalanced
-the plastic drop targets are easy to find (same as LAH)
-the gun feels a little cheap.
-music gets on the nerves a little, repetitive callouts.

#3 3 years ago

Would be helpful to know what you mean by "not work". Is the game totally dead?

#4 3 years ago

Since you know the guy get someone to look at it and get an estimate to repair it and go from there

#5 3 years ago

Need more information to properly assess this game. What does "not work" mean? Does not boot? At the very least inspect the MPU board for battery corrosion damage. Can you bring someone along with more knowledge to inspect the game with you?

#6 3 years ago

Every time I've bought a broken pin, the owner always says it's probably an easy fix.
I've used it to my advantage a few times, because if it was easy then fix it.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Every time I've bought a broken pin, the owner always says it's probably an easy fix.
I've used it to my advantage a few times, because if it was easy then fix it.

Exactly. Not one time was an "easy fix" easy in my experience.

#8 3 years ago

Could be easy, could be a pita.

Dmd is available, but expensive.
Dmd cobteoller obly used on 4 games.
Sound board only used on a handful of games.

If the dmd controller or sound board have issues it can be expensive and take awhile to get it.

#9 3 years ago

Very helpful comments and replies -
It simply does not come on at all when connected to power. No corrosion damage. The gentleman selling has early onset dementia, the family wants to sell off some of his larger items as he is getting ready to move out of his house. They have NO IDEA what to sell it for and I have no clue what I should offer.

#10 3 years ago

Could it be “just a fuse”

#11 3 years ago

Im am sure someone can fix it... unless its a steal i wouldnt bother.

Pretty mediocre game.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Ssurly:

It simply does not come on at all when connected to power. No corrosion damage. The gentleman selling has early onset dementia, the family wants to sell off some of his larger items as he is getting ready to move out of his house. They have NO IDEA what to sell it for and I have no clue what I should offer.

Yeah, I mean a totally completely dead game could just be a blown line fuse by the power switch. Easy and quick to change, and that could get you more info. I think they're usually an 8a slow blo.

Otherwise, the power supply could be totally fried. But I'd be doubtful that it would be totally gone to the point where nothing lights up or happens on a power-up. If it is just the line fuse, then that's a very quick, easy and cheap fix.

Even power supply boards aren't too expensive in the grand scheme, at least for most games. But you can't really diagnose much when the game is totally dead like that. Short of just checking fuses and looking for obvious damage.

Offer-wise, I say $1000 to $1500 is fair. I think Batman Forever's average-price is like $2500, so that gives you $1000+ of wiggle room in case you need to buy new boards or displays, and your time of course is worth something. And who knows might not be very much wrong with it. That's probably what I would do.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Yeah, I mean a totally completely dead game could just be a blown line fuse by the power switch. Easy and quick to change, and that could get you more info. I think they're usually an 8a slow blo.
Otherwise, the power supply could be totally fried. But I'd be doubtful that it would be totally gone to the point where nothing lights up or happens on a power-up. If it is just the line fuse, then that's a very quick, easy and cheap fix.
Even power supply boards aren't too expensive in the grand scheme, at least for most games. But you can't really diagnose much when the game is totally dead like that. Short of just checking fuses and looking for obvious damage.
Offer-wise, I say $1000 to $1500 is fair. I think Batman Forever's average-price is like $2500, so that gives you $1000+ of wiggle room in case you need to buy new boards or displays, and your time of course is worth something. And who knows might not be very much wrong with it. That's probably what I would do.

This seems to be super sound advice. I will definitely try the fuse idea first and then bring someone in to diagnose it further if that does not work. That's an easy fix I can certainly do. It did not look like any obvious damage so I am hopeful. The price point seems fair as well and I also would feel badly taking advantage of someone who has cognitive issues.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Offer-wise, I say $1000 to $1500 is fair. I think Batman Forever's average-price is like $2500, so that gives you $1000+ of wiggle room in case you need to buy new boards or displays, and your time of course is worth something.

I need to move to SD. Last BF that popped up on FB marketplace here in Chicago sold for $3,500 same day it was listed. Nothing special about it, all original, unshopped. Prices for used pins are insane right now. I'd buy every BF I could find for $1-1.5k Fun game

#15 3 years ago

ColorDmd has a 128x64 available... And iirc, just release forever color dots

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Some things to consider:
-history of weak flipper coils
-narrow shots and ramps, harder for beginners.
-watch out for cracked green ramps
-Oversized DMD is "rare".
-I found the software shallow.
-I had a LAH right next to mine, and it was favored by a lot.
-you might have to reflow solder on the batwing board
-batwing canon slows the game wwwwaaaayyyyy down
-20x bonus is imbalanced
-the plastic drop targets are easy to find (same as LAH)
-the gun feels a little cheap.
-music gets on the nerves a little, repetitive callouts.

You forgot:

-what the seller's cell number.

#17 3 years ago

Purchase the game now. I would not want to be troubleshooting a game at someone's house. I am sure the seller will be very annoyed especially if will take more than one visit and a lot of time to get figured out.

Pictures of the boards with the power on will be very helpful.

#18 3 years ago

Don't troubleshoot the game. Make an offer that you are comfortable with in the state that it's in. If they accept, load it up and take off.

If this is a project that you are not comfortable with, you aren't forced to buy it. Pass it along to someone else.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Ssurly:

I apologize that this may be a super obvious suggestion, but it appears as though you are new to the hobby, and the way you worded this makes me need to ask. Besides just connecting to power, you did turn on the power switch, right? No offense at all intended, but I have known of people not realizing (modern) machines have a switch.

Best of luck. From what can be seen in the pics it looks beautiful. It's a fun game...I'm surprised by some of the negative comments here as BF is usually regarded as one of the better Sega games. Hope it works out for you and is an easy fix!

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Don't troubleshoot the game. Make an offer that you are comfortable with in the state that it's in. If they accept, load it up and take off.
If this is a project that you are not comfortable with, you aren't forced to buy it. Pass it along to someone else.

This! If you fix it they may charge you more since it now works or even change their mind and keep it. Grab it and go!

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

My brother had this game for about 6 years, so speaking from a little experience here. In my (and my brother's) opinion the game is great, a rare case of Sega actually punching as high as B/W.

Agree 100% with this advice, probably the best given thus far.

My brother's machine once went "dead"; upon power-up the only thing that turned on was the uncontrolled GI, everything else was dead as a doornail. The culprit turned out to be a bad (visibly leaking) 10mf/16v (if I recall correctly) stabilizing capacitor connected to the voltage regulator IC. (Narrowed down to power supply board by realizing that the only fault which would likely cause these symptoms would have been a dead 5v logic supply.) Apparently this is a fairly common failure in this game (the IC is also a common failure point), but fortunately the PCBs in this game are of high quality and tolerate desoldering/resoldering very well.

If this game could be bought for $1500 or so, I don't think you would lose money even if you are not able to fix it yourself given that it is in otherwise good condition, and if the "fix" is as simple as it was with my brother's game then you can feel a nice sense of satisfaction at getting a screaming good deal on a fun game!

#22 3 years ago

Pinside has a price guide. It has BF at $2600 to $3000 and I have found most people ask more than top end of the Pinside estimate. I would use that range based on condition and knock off $500 since not working, but looks good otherwise. $1500 that others have said would be a hell of a bargain.

Someone mentioned the large DMD is rare. I have seen plenty for sale and a lot of people prefer that Color dmd better.

#23 3 years ago

Not working condition I wouldn't go over $1800 for this particular game. I'd be hesitant at that amount even. A ColorDMD is like $475 if you need to go that route. For the DMD it's a matter of when, not if, it will have issues.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I apologize that this may be a super obvious suggestion, but it appears as though you are new to the hobby, and the way you worded this makes me need to ask. Besides just connecting to power, you did turn on the power switch, right? No offense at all intended, but I have known of people not realizing (modern) machines have a switch.
Best of luck. From what can be seen in the pics it looks beautiful. It's a fun game...I'm surprised by some of the negative comments here as BF is usually regarded as one of the better Sega games. Hope it works out for you and is an easy fix!

I am super new to the hobby - have traditional stand-up video games, but I am only now deciding to invest in pinball machines - so good guess! I did turn on the switch and nothing happened and no offense taken at all. I think I'm going to definitely make the offer and then try the easy fixes first - i'll keep everyone updated!!!!

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Ssurly:

I am super new to the hobby - have traditional stand-up video games, but I am only now deciding to invest in pinball machines - so good guess! I did turn on the switch and nothing happened and no offense taken at all. I think I'm going to definitely make the offer and then try the easy fixes first - i'll keep everyone updated!!!!

If you pick it up for $1,500, then decide you don't want it, I'll buy it from you for $1,600 and pay to have it shipped

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 27.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.00
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-forever-opportunity?hl=bendit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.