pinside res box (resized).jpg
B74CCE9E-0FC1-4A03-88D9-66DFB7EA67F6.jpeg
CFB920D7-DF7F-47B7-8880-D4E98548B7A6.jpeg
2C7CA913-DDD6-4988-B564-49AA4512DF4D (resized).jpeg
91EEAE24-A8B5-41EA-B515-98370ADAB566 (resized).jpeg
70C9AB32-2D20-4E5C-8A94-B9DB1C158778 (resized).jpeg
F4681CDE-5FD8-44AB-B5A6-D06A4F36C7E8 (resized).jpeg
918A8C37-AFFB-4A57-91AC-FF9D63FD1D28 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jmountjoy111.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

So I picked up a Batman forever today and it has some dmd issues. Most of the time the screen is half lit and dim like in the pic. Some of the screens light the bottom half and it’s bright like it’s supposed to be. Sometimes it just works altogether but never for long.

I’m just looking for a little advice on where to begin. I’ve not worked on many sega pins. Is this most likely a power supply issue?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

918A8C37-AFFB-4A57-91AC-FF9D63FD1D28 (resized).jpeg918A8C37-AFFB-4A57-91AC-FF9D63FD1D28 (resized).jpegF4681CDE-5FD8-44AB-B5A6-D06A4F36C7E8 (resized).jpegF4681CDE-5FD8-44AB-B5A6-D06A4F36C7E8 (resized).jpeg

#2 5 years ago

Bad display ROMs?

#5 5 years ago

It has the harness on it but it looks a little hacked up. I went ahead and ordered a new one just to be sure.

I will pull the power supply this evening and start checking for bad solder and connectors. I know the data east boards were notorious for bad fuse clips so I will check those too. I’m just hoping it’s a power thing and not a dmd thing. I’ll report back this evening what I find

#7 5 years ago

Ok so I reflowed all the pins on the power supply and the dmd controller board. I also replaced the 26 pin ribbon cable. The machine was missing a bunch of board screws so I replaced all that were missing in case of grounding issues. I also just to make sure, tried a rottendog mpu in the game.

Any ideas on where to go next? If the screen is bad I’m ok with ordering a color screen I just want to make sure that’s what the problem is first.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You don't have another SEGA game to make the swap and see if the display underperforms there, too?

Unfortunately I do not.

#11 5 years ago

Ok so I got the harness on from pinball life. I replaced the hacked up one that was on it but the display is no different.

Anyone have any idea what would cause the dmd to do this?

#15 5 years ago

Hopefully this will help. I am deifntley no master at sega pinball. I just figure that if the screen lights up like that that it is probably good and something else is to blame. But once again I know nothing of sega dmd so just looking for any help I can get

#19 5 years ago

Here is a picture. My phone is crappy and the lighting isn’t great. I can move the machine if you need a better one

I don’t have a rom burner. But I can order a set of ROMs for it

2C7CA913-DDD6-4988-B564-49AA4512DF4D (resized).jpeg2C7CA913-DDD6-4988-B564-49AA4512DF4D (resized).jpeg
#21 5 years ago

This one should be better. I can take more. Just let me know what you need

CFB920D7-DF7F-47B7-8880-D4E98548B7A6.jpegCFB920D7-DF7F-47B7-8880-D4E98548B7A6.jpeg
#24 5 years ago

B74CCE9E-0FC1-4A03-88D9-66DFB7EA67F6.jpegB74CCE9E-0FC1-4A03-88D9-66DFB7EA67F6.jpeg

#27 5 years ago

Here is the back side just in case you need it. I suppose those caps are there for a good reason?

07910B21-8D8F-4CCB-BD81-E91BED684EDB.jpeg07910B21-8D8F-4CCB-BD81-E91BED684EDB.jpeg
#29 5 years ago

Do you happen to know the value right off. I do not have a schematic

#31 5 years ago

All I had on hand was .1 and .01 so I will order some today. I guess I’m going to go ahead and get a set of ROMs too just in case that is the issue. I really appreciate the help. I’ll post back as soon as I have any more info

#33 5 years ago

I ordered the chip and sockets too. Looks like it should all be here by Thursday. I’ll install it all after work and post the findings. Thanks. I really appreciate it

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Have you unsoldered ICs before? If not, I recommend carefully clipping the legs off then unsoldering one leg at a time. Very easy to lift a trace and make more work for yourself. Do NOT overheat the pads. Add new solder to loosen old solder.
Definitely post how it turns out, there may be other components along that trace besides the chip that were also compromised.

Yes I have replaced lots of IC before. It is so easy to screw one up for sure. Hopefully it will fix it The shots on the game a pretty cool. I can’t wait to play it while actually knowing what is happening lol

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You might want to consider this service kit for the display if it's not already done. Prevents freezing and resets on the display due to power dropping below 5v while in use:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=500-6326-00
Service bulletin is on that marco page, too.

The game had that harness in it when I got it but it had some spliced places in the wiring so I ordered another one and installed it just in case.

#39 5 years ago

Well I replaced the capacitor today and there was no change. New display ROMs were also checked in the game to no avail either. The ic below the cap has. It come in yet so I will have to check it when it does

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Did you check continuity on all those little traces that ran under C9 (from wherever they started to wherever they end)? They may have been damaged when C9 blew out. I'd do that while you're waiting for the IC.

Sounds like a plan. I will start checking those tonight. This thing is driving me crazy. I just hope the screen itself is good. I’d imagine since it lit up in test that it probably is.

#42 5 years ago

Ok so... I checked all the traces. I removed the old chip and inserted a socket. I added the new chip and there is no change in the dmd. The chip came out cleanly and no pads or traces were damaged in removing it. I checked them all before I soldered in the socket. Any idea where to go next

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I need to find a schematic with that C9 on it to see what else is in line with it on the +trace. The one I posted doesn't have that part on at all that I can see. Can you see where the positive trace goes when it goes under the ROM2 bracket and disappears?

I will pull it back apart tonight and check.

#45 5 years ago

I tried to see where it goes but it appears to stop at the top right leg on the socket for what would be rom 2.

On another note, a super generous pinsider is going to let me use a known working display to test in my machine. That way I can rule out the display itself as the problem

#47 5 years ago

I will post as soon as the screen comes in. It may be a few days as it has to be shipped

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

If anything falls through with that, let me know. I could always send you the one out of my BF for testing.

I really appreciate that. People complain all the time about pinside being negative but honestly there are so many great people on here.

#51 5 years ago

I put in the screen that was sent to me and it works. There are some flaky power issues still but the screen itself works now. I really appreciate all the help on it.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

So it turns out that the original dmd was bad after all?

It looks that way. I hooked it up and it fired right up.

#57 5 years ago

I know right. I was hoping the screen was good cause it came on in test mode like that. I ended up buying the one V_piscopo sent me to check the machine and have played about 15 games on it already. What a fun machine. I reset the asic chip on the controller board and the flaky power issue seems to have gone away too.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

At least you got it figured out. So you used your display controller with his DMD?

Yes I used my controller board. When I look closely at the display itself it looks as if there is some kind of corrosion along one side of the board. It doesn’t look like there are any damaged parts so I’m not real sure what that could be. Possibly battery damage? But I’m not sure how it would have gotten there. I can try to post a picture of it this afternoon when I get home from work.

#63 5 years ago

Here is the area I was talking about.

3D839F0B-4E36-4448-9163-A8F1130A058B.jpeg3D839F0B-4E36-4448-9163-A8F1130A058B.jpeg
#66 5 years ago

There was a little bit in the grid around the battery holder but it wasn’t bad at all. I guess that’s what it probably is but I don’t see how with so little on the mpu that so much would be be on the display. I can’t see any components that look damaged in any way

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Definitely odd. Maybe moisture? Every transistor/component from U22 over to C22 has corrosion, or some amount of oxidation.

Maybe. It is a reimport so I guess sitting in a storage container for an extended period isn’t out of the question.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 259.00
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jmountjoy111.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-forever-dmd-half-on-issue?tu=jmountjoy111 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.