pinside res box (resized).jpg
B74CCE9E-0FC1-4A03-88D9-66DFB7EA67F6.jpeg
CFB920D7-DF7F-47B7-8880-D4E98548B7A6.jpeg
2C7CA913-DDD6-4988-B564-49AA4512DF4D (resized).jpeg
91EEAE24-A8B5-41EA-B515-98370ADAB566 (resized).jpeg
70C9AB32-2D20-4E5C-8A94-B9DB1C158778 (resized).jpeg
F4681CDE-5FD8-44AB-B5A6-D06A4F36C7E8 (resized).jpeg
918A8C37-AFFB-4A57-91AC-FF9D63FD1D28 (resized).jpeg
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago

I put in the screen that was sent to me and it works. There are some flaky power issues still but the screen itself works now. I really appreciate all the help on it.

#52 5 years ago

Glad it was not the controller board. Enjoy your game!

#53 5 years ago

So it turns out that the original dmd was bad after all?

#54 5 years ago

I'm sure we are not far from having full color for that game.
http://shop.colordmd.com/x-led-192x64-replacement-display-sigma/

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

So it turns out that the original dmd was bad after all?

It looks that way. I hooked it up and it fired right up.

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

It looks that way. I hooked it up and it fired right up.

All of a sudden this seems very anticlimactic. Haha. Well, I learned a few things, so always good.

Now you can grab a display and play the hell out of that thing. If I come across any used fully-working displays for cheap, I’ll let you know. At least to hold us all over until non-bugged full color hits each of our games.

#57 5 years ago

I know right. I was hoping the screen was good cause it came on in test mode like that. I ended up buying the one V_piscopo sent me to check the machine and have played about 15 games on it already. What a fun machine. I reset the asic chip on the controller board and the flaky power issue seems to have gone away too.

#58 5 years ago

I know right. I was hoping the screen was good cause it came on in test mode like that. I ended up buying the one v_piscopo sent me to check the machine and have played about 15 games on it already. What a fun machine.

Certainly a very fun game, and underappreciated by most. Ton of ramps with relatively tight shots, cool modes and great audio.

Awesome of V_piscopo to send you the hardware And now you have a display, problem solved and you’re flippin.

#59 5 years ago

I know right. I was hoping the screen was good cause it came on in test mode like that. I ended up buying the one v_piscopo sent me to check the machine and have played about 15 games on it already. What a fun machine. I reset the asic chip on the controller board and the flaky power issue seems to have gone away too.

At least you got it figured out. So you used your display controller with his DMD?

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

At least you got it figured out. So you used your display controller with his DMD?

Yes I used my controller board. When I look closely at the display itself it looks as if there is some kind of corrosion along one side of the board. It doesn’t look like there are any damaged parts so I’m not real sure what that could be. Possibly battery damage? But I’m not sure how it would have gotten there. I can try to post a picture of it this afternoon when I get home from work.

#61 5 years ago

Can you post a picture of the back of the DMD? The corrosion likely came from a leaking capacitor.

#62 5 years ago

Yes I used my controller board. When I look closely at the display itself it looks as if there is some kind of corrosion along one side of the board. It doesn’t look like there are any damaged parts so I’m not real sure what that could be. Possibly battery damage? But I’m not sure how it would have gotten there. I can try to post a picture of it this afternoon when I get home from work.

Yeah, it would be good to see the pic for posterity.

#63 5 years ago

Here is the area I was talking about.

3D839F0B-4E36-4448-9163-A8F1130A058B.jpeg3D839F0B-4E36-4448-9163-A8F1130A058B.jpeg
#64 5 years ago

Glad to hear you got it working!

#65 5 years ago

Did you have some battery corrosion on the MPU ? I do not see anything on the back of the DMD that would have leaked to have caused that corrosion.

#66 5 years ago

There was a little bit in the grid around the battery holder but it wasn’t bad at all. I guess that’s what it probably is but I don’t see how with so little on the mpu that so much would be be on the display. I can’t see any components that look damaged in any way

#67 5 years ago

Here is the area I was talking about.
[quoted image]

Yeah, pretty major corrosion there. No wonder it doesn't work right. I just wonder where it came from...

#68 5 years ago

Definitely odd. Maybe moisture? Every transistor/component from U22 over to C22 has corrosion, or some amount of oxidation.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Definitely odd. Maybe moisture? Every transistor/component from U22 over to C22 has corrosion, or some amount of oxidation.

Maybe. It is a reimport so I guess sitting in a storage container for an extended period isn’t out of the question.

#70 5 years ago

If I could ever get caught up on projects, I wouldn't mind working on it to get it cleaned up. I see at least 3 IC's that would need to be replaced, which I can do at work among other parts that might be able to get away with just removing the old solder cleaning and resoldering of the resistors, etc...IC's definitely need to be replaced.

Probably guaranteed 6 months minimum before I could even have some time.

2 years later
#71 2 years ago

afternoon i know this is an old post but dose anyone know what size the nuts are that hold the dmd on ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 259.00
$ 27.95
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-forever-dmd-half-on-issue/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.