(Topic ID: 21946)

!!!SOLVED - Batman Forever cannon problem - SOLVED!!!

By NightTrain

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by frunch
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

520-5009-10-00_b.jpg
#1 11 years ago

I just picked up a nice Batman Forever last night. I played it for a good 4 hours or so and the batwing cannon worked great all of the time. Now all of a sudden it is intermittently working (mostly not working). I checked all plugs and switches and everything looks good. I also checked to make sure the switches are positioned correctly. I don't see anything obviously wrong. I'm not sure what the hell to do here and I looked for a new motor assembly and haven't found anything. Any ideas or tips??? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

#2 11 years ago

What exactly is it doing or not doing? Without as many details as possible, it's really hard to give a suggestion.

#3 11 years ago

Yes I suppose that would help!

So when a ball gets loaded into the batwing cannon, the DMD displays what is normally displayed, so the game knows that it's time to swing out the cannon....and it doesn't move. About 1 out of 10 times, it will move. I went into the diagnostic menu and the cannon home switch is set, the launcher works, it recognizes when a ball is in it too. It just doesn't power the motor and swing out. I tried to actuate the motor relay via the DMD menu and it doesn't do anything. Is there a relay that I can check for this? What else can I test?

#4 11 years ago

I found the motor online

http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MO-041-5048-00

But i don't know if this is the problem. I was hoping to be able to find a complete motor assembly with the bracket and switch combined. Not sure if it a motor or switch problem. Then again it could be something entirely different.

#5 11 years ago

Bump. Anyone got any ideas?

#6 11 years ago

Have a multimeter? May be time to take the glass off, connect the leads and measure what is happening when you manipulate the switches that would normally activate the cannon.

#7 11 years ago

Yes. Already did that. Switches check out ok.

#8 11 years ago

I also hooked up my meter the the leads that go to the motor for the cannon. I actuated the motor relay via the service menu and it voltage spiked and then I'm pretty sure my either blew a fuse or I fried something....because it didn't spike up after that. I think I'm leaning toward a motor because all switches appear to be ok, and it works some of the time. Maybe a short in the motor somewhere???

#9 11 years ago

Hey PinT,

Make sure the switch is hitting correctly by dropping a ball into the cannon in switch test mode several times to insure the switch is correctly registering the ball and is not intermittent. Does the cannon respond in test mode correctly? I.E. it moves when you hit the + or - in test mode?

Check the wires on the cannon motor and make sure they are solidly soldiered to the leads, maybe partially broken wires?? Also try moving the wires when it is in test mode and see if it intermittently moves, possible wire connection issue? If it is working at all then it should not be a major problem, probably something simple

#10 11 years ago

Pin_Crazed,

Thanks for the reply. I checked the switch for the cannon registering a ball a bunch of times. It seems to register it every time. I didn't try hitting the + or - in test mode. I was selecting the "RUN" feature, I'll try that when I get home. I just kept restarting the game and loading a ball into the cannon (bat cannon is ready on startup). So it would make my life a hell of a lot easier if the + and - worked to move the motor. Can you check on your BF and see where in the menu that you can move the motor? I think I'm in the right spot. I'm trying to actuate it where it say batwing cannon motor relay.

When I removed the motor assembly to test the "home" switch is when I got confused. There are two tires coming off that switch. I would assume that when you disconnect the cable and you hook up an Ohm meter to the end of the wires and open/close the switch, you should see a change from OPEN to 0 ohms. I did that and there was no change. But if I go directly to the switch points (before the wires) the switch tests ok. It looks like there are 3 leads coming off the switch with only 2 wires. One of the leads has a capacitor looking guy that is soldered to the other lead. Then there is a wire between the two. The one lead between the two outer leads, and one of the leads that has the capacitor soldered to the other one have wires going to the cable connector. So when I measured and the switch tested good, was when I measured across the two pins with the capacitor looking thing in between.....but those aren't the leads that go to the wires...so that makes no sense to me. Is this normal or is that switch bad? In the DIAG/TEST menu, it registers the cannon is at it's home position.

All of the soldering looks to be good. I will try moving the wiring around and seeing if that makes it come back to life. That would be a nice simple fix. Is there any way that I can check power to the motor itself when it is actuated? I think it runs on 50v. That way I could rule out everything else and see if it is just a bad motor. If I disconnect the cable to the cannon motor itself and hook up a meter and then actuate the motor, would that work?

#11 11 years ago

I don't have my BF handy, it's actually at an arcade earning coin, but can you test the motor? If so, try putting it into test. Please report back anything that is happening from that. Don't order a motor or anything until you do a little more diagnosing - you end up with a lot of backups that way otherwise

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Don't order a motor or anything until you do a little more diagnosing - you end up with a lot of backups that way otherwise

Gotcha. I'll try to do more testing tonight and post any results. This issue is pissing me off! I just got this baby and it kills me that it's acting up! It's a great game though. I like it a lot.

#13 11 years ago

It's a pin, they all do stuff like that from time to time. Remember, any details you can get from that test - like if it makes a noise or anything - would be a big help in figuring out where to look next.

#14 11 years ago

Bump, he just bought that pin.

#15 11 years ago

So I started a game and loaded the cannon with the Playfield up. Cannon motor didn't move, so I tapped on it and it started working. Tried this numerous time and it didn't work again. But judging by the fact that it started when I tapped on the motor has to make me thing the motor is shorted....

#16 11 years ago

I had a problem with mine.

Go to the bottom of this rgp post and see if that helps you.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/2a5ab4d8edfd7deb/52c6ab9cb6bf9c2c?q=

#17 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinstym:

Go to the bottom of this rgp post and see if that helps you.

I have read that one. Found it on a google search. I don't think that is my issue. I inspected the shaft from the motor to the batwing cannon and there is no flat spot on mine.

How do you do the batwing motor test? The only thing I can find is in the coil menu there is a test for the motor relay....is that it? Because the motor NEVER runs when I do that test. I don't hear a relay click or anything.

#18 11 years ago

I haven't had my BF for over a year now, so can't help with the test. Can't remember.

I do remember a flat notch at the top and bottom of the shaft with screws to hold it in place.

I might have taken pics at the time. I'll see if I can find them.

#19 11 years ago

Ok sounds good. Thanks

#20 11 years ago

Cannon ordered. We will see if it fixes the issue. If not, I'll have a brake new cannon motor for sale! LOL

#21 11 years ago

While working on your cannon did you see any ways to adjust it's home position? Mine works and then comes back to the very edge of the track, but the ball makes it in. Anybody know if that is adjustable?

I hope the new cannon fixes your problem...

#22 11 years ago

Yeah. You adjust the linkage. It's a bit of a pain and takes some trial and error. But it is adjustable.

#23 11 years ago

Was there a test option? I'd like to see if it can move side to side while in test. Otherwise, there could be other issues, like potentially a shorted switch that registers in test and for a brief second (starting the DMD) but then maybe clears itself before it gets off the 'home' position for the cannon...

Just a thought.

#24 11 years ago

I can't get it to move in the cannon relay test mode. I'll install the new motor when I get it and post ASAP.

#25 11 years ago

Are you sure the short is in the motor, or is the short in the wires before the motor? I'd suggest putting it into that cannon mode where it should be moving, and then wiggling the wires to try to see if that does anything.

#26 11 years ago

I tried that too. I also took off the heat shrink on the wires and checked them for a short. All wiring looks good. I will find out as soon as I put the new motor in though!

#27 11 years ago

So I got the new cannon motor from Bay Area Amusements today (very unhappy with their service and I will post about that later). I installed it in my Batman Forever and it worked for a bit and stopped. I then made a stiff drink and began to dig further. I could hear a relay clicking...hmmmmmmm. Found the relay and tapped it while in test mode and it was sticking! So there you have it. Just a damn sticking relay. Hey, at least I know the motor is good now. Thanks for all the input guys. Now where the hell can I find this relay board?

520-5009/10-00

#28 11 years ago

You may be able to pop the cover on it and file the contacts a bit. Not sure with that relay but I know on some you can. Glad you figured it out!! Excellent!!

#29 11 years ago

Glad you figured out the problem Pin. PM me if you can on how to adjust that dang cannon. I love the game it just needs tweaking to keep it running right.

#30 11 years ago

I'll Pm you tomorrow on the cannon adjustment. Super easy once ya figure it out.

#31 11 years ago

I tried filing the contact and sprayed her down with circuit board cleaner. No dice! Super happy to know what the problem is for sure now.

9 years later
#32 2 years ago

Hello NightTrain!!!
I know it's a long shot after 9 years, but I believe who ever gets a BF will never get rid of it.
I spent most of my night checking switches, wiring and my batwing cannon is pretty much performing the same problem yours did. Then I just remembered a post of yours regarding batwing motor.
In case you still have it...would it be possible to send me a pic of the relay responsible for the motor?
It hurts to see my BF working erractily.

#33 2 years ago

I'm not certain where it will be located, but I'd start by looking under the playfield. Here's what the relay board will look like: 520-5009-10-00_b.jpg520-5009-10-00_b.jpg

Good luck!

#34 2 years ago

Thanks Frunch. I was looking on the wrong place. I understood it was on the main board. Gonna check it tomorrow and I'll reply back if it solved the problem

#35 2 years ago

I do not have the game anymore. But yes it looks like that and is under the playfield.

#36 2 years ago

Hey NightTrain, sorry to hear you don't have it anymore. It took so long to convince my wife to have one that I believe I won't have another chance. Therefore, my object of desire is a X-File machine.
I know it’s not the same, but I recently bought a NEOGEO arcade filled with termites, so I can say my wife is getting more comprehensive. I’m working on it, and it will look good beside my BF.
Your post from...9 years ago was very helpful and as per Frunch posted, it was right there, below the playfield, about 3 inches right from the batwing. I just checked the board and it is now working. Happens that I had never removed that relay board and it was dark with some slime on it. I cleaned and it is just fine now.
Thanks for your and Frunch support. You guys are the greatest!

#37 2 years ago

Glad to hear you got it up and running. Nice work!

#38 2 years ago

Good stuff! Glad you got it fixed!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.00
$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-forever-cannon-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.