DE Batman 022118  (14) (resized).JPG
DE Batman 022118  (15) (resized).JPG
DE Batman 022118  (13) (resized).JPG
IMG_4854 (resized).jpg
IMG_4865 (resized).jpg
IMG_4864 (resized).jpg
IMG_4863 (resized).jpg
IMG_4859 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

Here's a sneak peek at my most recent project. Got about 400ish hours into this thing already as something to thinker on. Figured nobody will ever repo these things and chances of getting a nice one at this point is slim to none so I figured I'd try to make an overlay. Have been working on this one off and on as well as the BOP one. Gave up on BOP due to repo PF's "possessively" being in the works.

Here's a low res version of what I have so far. Let me know if you see any obvious issues. Got a buddy that took a scan of their PF that is down to wood and I finally got all the inserts lined up. I know it will never be perfect or even 100% accurate as I'm just not that skilled with photoshop but I'm hoping to come up with something that would look good in my machine on my spare PF that's nearly down to just wood at this point.

I basically started with the Visual Pinball playfield and started cutting and pasting images from my spare playfield to get the art right. Then I went in a started redrawing things to try and get it to look decent. I'm drawing it at 400 dpi. Hopefully that is a high enough resolution. I have no clue so if someone that's done this before can advise that would be great.

Batman DE Overlay.jpgBatman DE Overlay.jpg

#3 9 years ago

What spots are you thinking about? I still need to go through and clean up several of the lines and I'm going to redo most of the lettering. You talking about where the pop bumpers go? Trying to get this as close to right as possible so am open to feedback.

#5 9 years ago

Right now it's about 15. I've got one layer for words, one for each main color, one for black lines that I'm touching up, etc... Getting hard to keep track of things. I think my biggest concern is wood showing up where an insert opening is. I'm trying to get things lined up the best I can but that's my biggest concern at this point.

#10 9 years ago

I would but I'm trying to keep it as accurate as possible so I'll leave her "warm" for now

Had a buddy print it out in black and white and held over his spare playfield and the bottom lined up great but the top is still off. Looks like I may have to resize some things again. I sent him the file as a JPEG and after some reading it sounds like JPEG may have been a bad format to use so I just resent it as a PNG to see if the reason it didn't line up was due to the conversion of the jpeg. The PNG was 65 megs which seems kind of large but maybe that is right. Any thoughts on that aspect?

#13 9 years ago

I don't think I would be able to sell them due to license issues I'll have to check with my lawyer to see if I can even send the photo shop file to anyone but I'm guessing that will be a no go as well. I know I can do this for my personal use to fix my own owned property but after that things get fuzzy on what I can and can not do.

I'm not even 100% I'll get this to work just yet but things are looking better than what I've got right now for my spare PF. My plan is to actually have the image printed directly onto the PF vs an overlay. If I can't get that done then I would have an overlay made.

If I do get it done and it looks good I'll commit to sending the artwork to an Authorized distributor to use if they can get approval to run playfields.

#14 9 years ago

Some more work completed on this. Got a lot more lines cleaned up, all text redone and hopefully sized correctly now.

Here is a pic at 20% of full resolution.

BM jpeg.jpgBM jpeg.jpg

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That printed on some shinny vinyl would make a nice wall hanging.

I hope it's good for more than that but worst case I may do just that if I can't get this to work. Got way to much time in it just to scrape it if things don't work out.

And looking at this pic just now I noticed I some how screwed up a layer and messed her dress up Gotta go back and fix that now...

1 month later
#20 9 years ago

File sent for test printing. Hopefully things line up and look good as an overlay. I've made several small changes to the artwork to clean things up. Next pick will hopefully be of the art installed on my PF.

Here is what it looks like today. Let me know if you see anything that looks wrong.

Does anyone even know who I would have to talk to in order to get approvals to sell an overlay for Data East? I'd love to help out the community with this but I have no desires to get sued

Batman DE 11-18 copy.pngBatman DE 11-18 copy.png

1 week later
#21 9 years ago

Test printing shows to line up pretty good on paper. Buddy of mine that I've been working on the project with found a printer that can print in white so I'm going to try his printer for the overlay. My printer could only print in color so that would mean I would have to paint the white in and then put the overlay on. That adds a while extra level of complexity with lining things up. With his printer he will print on a clear sheet the white, then do the color over it. One overlay to install

While waiting on the printer I added some inserts, wood grain, cut out the wholes, etc to make a nice version for wall art. Will probably print this out and hang it on the wall in my office.

wall art post.jpgwall art post.jpg

1 month later
#27 9 years ago

Printer got flaky. My buddy that is helping with this is trying to find another printer that can print white to prevent having to do multiple layers. Found a couple at stupid prices so he's still looking. I've been in no hurry as my time has been focused on my BOP restoration. If he still hasn't found something by the time I'm done with BOP I may just get it printed on clear and mask/paint the white.

1 month later
#29 9 years ago

Test print came back. Resolution on the print could be better but it looks much better than the PF does. Couple of problems have been found. First being that the laminate that would wear better is milky so that's a no go. The clear laminate may not wear as good though. Not much of an issue as I'm going to clear over it anyways. Test pieces are being cleared by my buddy that is helping with the printing to see if the clear reacts to the print.

Another issue is the white is overhanging the color so I'm having to go back and clean that up. Overall, it's slow moving but I'm happy with the progress.

Here is a small scan of the test print installed on wood.

scan0004.jpgscan0004.jpg

3 weeks later
#33 9 years ago

Test with clear has been completed. Looks like the material will hold onto it just fine if prepped right with and adhesion promoter. I bent the ends up after fully drying to make sure it didn't try to flake off or crack.

I used duplicolor clear for this.

In this you'll see the problem I'm trying to fix. The white layer bled over so you see a white boarder around the clear area's. I went into the white layer and basically reduced it's size by a couple of pixles in an effort to try and get rid of that effect.

The middle sample is what I'm going to go with. The top and bottom have a much thicker laminate on it which is rough and caused some light distortion before and after clearing.

I've received some PM's for the file of the PF. At this point I'm not sharing it. Once I confirm it is accurate and works good (installed on my spare PF) I'll either try to find a way to get printed ones to people that need them or a way to share the file for people to print their own. Right now, I'm pretty happy that the printer being used right now can get both the white and color prints on the same page thus it makes for only one decal to install which has white, color and inserts on it. It's also very thin so it should help make install easier (cut outs).

IMG_6067.jpgIMG_6067.jpg

Also, I've received several request for ramp decals recently. Not sure if this thread had anything to do with it but I thought I'd add that to this as well. I never made the decals but I did take some high quality scans of them when I had them off for my swap. At some point (if there is enough interest in them) I may consider trying to make them. Until then, I'm posting the files of the scans here so everyone can get them easily. Just click on the link for a full res version.

back of ramp.jpgback of ramp.jpg
batmobile and plane.jpgbatmobile and plane.jpg
Cars.jpgCars.jpg
helicopter.jpghelicopter.jpg
Joker.jpgJoker.jpg
skill shot.jpgskill shot.jpg

1 month later
#37 8 years ago

Back to square one with the printing

Anyone know someone that can print in white for a reasonable cost? I have a printer that I use for everything but he can't do white and I'm really not wanting to do multiple layers or try to paint the white parts in.

Worst case I'll give it a shot with my printer and using paint for the white part.

1 month later
#40 8 years ago

Just an update. I was contacted by an individual that has a printer that may be able to help out. We are working on trying to find a way to potentially even get things direct printed on the wood!

2 months later
#42 8 years ago

Got a test print headed my way from a helpful pinsider. Fingers crossed it will work and line up correctly.

Quoted from Butch2099:

I would think for most Batman owners a couple of the high wear area overlays would go a long way. Right ball drop, top ball drop area and Museum interior would be huge for most machines I have seen. Kind of like the mansion for Adams family.

Sorry for not responding to this before. I'm not sure if the artwork will work all that well for overlays as I don't think 100% of the artwork lines up exactly. I took reference pics and pieced them together and had to do a lot of movement/sizing to get things to match up to the inserts. I also changed some drawings up a bit (most notably extending some art into areas that things stopped short). I also changed up some colors a little bit. So basically it's really only about a 95% match for the actual PF. If you have a spot that you are in need of I can take a look at the test print that I get and pair it with my PF to see how well it lines up. I'm going to assume everyone would need the areas where the ball drops for the skill shot as well as the inlanes. Those should be pretty close. Most of the mods I made are in the center area (in front of the ramp) as well as the pop bumper section it self.

#44 8 years ago

Test print has been received. Prelim fitting shows that things line up pretty good.

20150905_100041_resized.jpg20150905_100041_resized.jpg

Here is what my spare PF looks like now. Going to sand it to bare wood. Clear it and then give the overlay a try. No ETA on when I'll get that done though. Got a baby on the way due in Oct and I still have to finish a restoration on a xenon that I committed to. Looking promising though.

20150908_094414_resized.jpg20150908_094414_resized.jpg

2 months later
#51 8 years ago

I got a new joker ramp so I'll make some scans of the decals when I move them over.

Been a while for an update on this. Right now I'm working with someone on a potential direct printed ability of my artwork. If that doesn't pan out I'll proceed with the overlay but I just couldn't resist giving a direct print option a try when I was contacted about the possibility. He currently has my white file and is working on a CNC stencil so the white can be painted.

1 week later
#55 8 years ago

No plans on the flugel door as those are being sold in a decal kit already.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/820-5060-XX

#58 8 years ago

I'll see if I can come up with something. I'm starting to feel bad though as I keep committing to try things but am not making much progress on anything.

Some good news though. I just heard that the direct print resource may be able to print in white. That would make things a 100x's easier. Worst case is that the overlay option looks promising and I'm not seeing anything that isn't lining up close enough to look out of place. (My goal was to not have any wood showing in any of the inserts.)

Not sure if there is any interest in seeing artwork changes but if so, here is the most recent color file. It's severely compressed in order to post it. The actual file is 300 megs! You may notice that I adjusted some of the colors and fixed some issues with artwork that wasn't real nice (below the "lite fast money" insert for instance). Biggest change is with the colors as when the overlay printed out the people's skin looked like they spent to much time at the tanning salon. Hopefully this prints out better.

Batman.jpgBatman.jpg

1 month later
#60 8 years ago

Still going strong on this. Art had to be adjusted to line up on a few things but we think that is done now. At this point we are testing out bases to seal the freshly sanded PF before the printing is done. Still hopefully that a direct print solution will work out. If not, I'll go back and finalize the overlay.

2 weeks later
#63 8 years ago
Quoted from MalikyeMoon:

Agreed. I would consider an eventual overlay, but am most interested in the Joker ramp decals! Thanks for continuing to push this forward. One of my fav pins.

Promise that I'll tackle that part here fairly soon. I was waiting to do that until I started the restore on my game but I'm not sure when that will happen now. I'll most likely get started on that after TPF as I'm still working on a restoration for a game that will be there and for sale (doing the restore on a friends game). My only concern with those decals is I still have not found a good way to apply the decals on the back side without hazing. The art seems easy enough to do.

On to the PF.

We got the test print back from the printer yesterday. Looks promising. I'm pretty bummed out about how many inserts that I got at the wrong location but I guess that is part of it when you are making the artwork without the ability to do a scan of my PF. Someone did a chalk trace of one for me but that was the best I could get which helped a whole lot.

Take note that the printing has not been cleared over so it would look much better after that is done. Let me know your thoughts, I'm a big boy and can take criticism. I'm doing this more for fun but I still want to get it right as we are trying to get a "restoration" process available. If that doesn't work out then I will at min just release the art to everyone or get an overlay done. These are full size pictures so you can click on them to expand on them. This PF started out like the one you see in the background so it's an improvement at least.

IMG_3445_(resized).JPGIMG_3445_(resized).JPG

IMG_3419_(resized).JPGIMG_3419_(resized).JPG

IMG_3447_(resized).JPGIMG_3447_(resized).JPG

IMG_3421_(2)_(resized).JPGIMG_3421_(2)_(resized).JPG

#64 8 years ago

Now for the pics that got me bummed out. You can see I missed some measurements Some are easy fixes while others are going to be a major PITA to fix without messing things up.

IMG_3439_(resized).JPGIMG_3439_(resized).JPG

IMG_3440_(resized).JPGIMG_3440_(resized).JPG

IMG_3441_(resized).JPGIMG_3441_(resized).JPG

IMG_3443_(resized).JPGIMG_3443_(resized).JPG

IMG_3448_(resized).JPGIMG_3448_(resized).JPG

IMG_3444_(resized).JPGIMG_3444_(resized).JPG

#68 8 years ago

Appreciate the kind words and feedback. I'll cont to work on fixing the art and working with my partner to see if we can set up a restoration service for PF''s if there is enough interest in that.

4 weeks later
#69 8 years ago

Finally was able to send the corrections to my partner on this. I lost my HD which had my photoshop files on it so it took a bit longer since I basically lost all my layers

It's not an exact reproduction as some artwork is a bit different but it's better than playing on wood.

1 week later
#71 8 years ago

Got to see the print in person. Looks much better than in picks. Still not cleared yet too so it will look even nicer.

Pretty sure that we've got it worked out to where you send us your pf and we can restore it by sanding, then sealing, then printing and finally clear.

20160318_154134_(resized).jpg20160318_154134_(resized).jpg

#73 8 years ago

My partner.

20160319_101359_(resized).jpg20160319_101359_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#74 8 years ago

My pf stripped and cleared. Being picked up this week for our second test print that has the corrections to some of the inserts.

20160329_180726_(resized).jpg20160329_180726_(resized).jpg

2 months later
#76 7 years ago

Been slow going trying to get things right. Below is a picture of our latest run. The left PF is our first run and the right PF is the corrected one.

I tweaked some alignment things to get rid of the wood being visible at some of the inserts as well as adjusted some of the colors (mainly took the yellow brightness down a notch). Pretty happy with the colors now. The printer got the alignment off just a couple of mm's though so some of the inserts still show wood. Trying to figure out what we need to do next to make sure prints are consistent as well as to make sure all inserts are correct.

At this point I have lost some of my excitement as I'm contemplating selling my game. My game is already nicer than most but I was striving for near perfection in a restoration. Having another baby has made me rethink my time commitments on restoring games. I promise I'm not going to give up on this though.

Take note that neither of the below PF's have any clear on them at this point. Not much of a point in doing that until we get a PF we are happy with. Once cleared I'm betting it will make things pop even more.

IMG_5027_(resized).JPGIMG_5027_(resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#78 7 years ago

Sounds great. We are still working on thing now. Struggling with trying to get a consistent print alignment right now. That part is pretty critical as if they get something off just a little bit then wood shows in some of the inserts (our most recent test print had this issue).

To help clear the air as I'm getting a lot of PM's for this. At this time I'm not sharing the full resolution art files as we are trying to offer a restoration service for these PF's. If we can not get to a solution with the printer and have to give up on offering a restoration service then I will post the full res art files for all, at that time, so that you can work with local printers on overlays or direct print.

2 weeks later
#85 7 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

The playfields were protected with something called "Stealth Hard Coat" - needless to say it sucked.

I almost think they called it stealth coat because their was nothing there. Yeah, I know it had a clear but it's junk.

No pre-order necessary as I would never take money for something I have no guarantee or timeline to complete. Right now we are getting really nice prints done but they are inconsistent with the alignment. Trying to work out that solution otherwise some PF's would come with little white rings in spots (the white layer showing up) where others may not. To me, this is key. If we can't get a consistent alignment on the print it really puts a hindrance on the quality of the end product. Even with slight insert misalignment it would be better than 95% of the PF's out there but we also know the pinball community. Close enough isn't acceptable

Ed - this is interesting. I see your batman decals at the top inlanes are orange. I've only seen them being green. Wonder if you have some sort of per-production PF or if they had differences through the run.

2 weeks later
#90 7 years ago
Quoted from Pronoia:

Please please please contact me when you get this done. My PF is actually pretty complete, but has enough damage that I'd like to redo it. The art isn't bad but the cracking paint affects the ball in places, mostly around the drops and drains.

Contact Panther Pinball. He's keeping track of whom would need our service and will be contacting everyone once we get the processes dialed in.

For everyone - Got our most recent test print in yesterday. Put a light coat of clear on the PF to test for possible reactions between the ink and the clear. No bleeding occurred so that was a good test. With this PF you can see where the alignment from the printer was off so wood is showing in the top batman inserts (skill shot area) as well as the two inserts at the ball scoop. Will be taking some more measurements to try and give the printer something better to align to in order to help prevent that from happening.

Also, with this test print and one coat of clear. I was able to validate I'm happy with the colors now. Sometimes that changes when clear is added. Let me know your thoughts as this is more for ya'll now than me since I'm probably going to sell my game.

IMG_6871_(resized).JPGIMG_6871_(resized).JPG

IMG_6873_(resized).JPGIMG_6873_(resized).JPG

IMG_6872_(resized).JPGIMG_6872_(resized).JPG

#91 7 years ago

Not real sure why the blue is looking so bright in the pics. Doesn't look like that indoors and in person.
Here is a crappy cell phone pic in my office. You can see in the top right the more true color.

BM_(resized).jpgBM_(resized).jpg

1 month later
#94 7 years ago
Quoted from MalikyeMoon:

Sweet i will contact Panther soon as well. Please tell me you made progress on the joker ramp decal? So many clear ramps sold and no decals! i want to replace my ramp. If not, anyone have a nos set that i can scan and make for others?

Haven't started on the Joker ramp decal. Was planning on doing that when I restored the game.

As an update, sent another PF out for a new test print. We are testing some additional alignment marks to try and make for a more consistent print.

1 month later
#97 7 years ago

I'll ping Panther to see how the test prints are coming. I know they have been real busy with the holiday's coming up.

I hate to post this but truth be told. I sold my Batman last night. I'll be helping to deliver it to the new owners next weekend as it's an early Christmas present for a Co-worker of my wife's family. I will still help Panther with any refinements needed in the artwork if any come from the latest test prints but I wont be able to do the Joker Ramp decals anymore.

Was kind of a bitter sweet moment. Bitter because I was looking forward to trying to make one of the nicest Batman DE's games out there but sweet in the eyes that I really don't play it anymore so it's nice seeing it going to a good home.

As for the Joker Ramp Decals. If someone gets a scan of them I'd be more than happy to try and clean them up for printing but realistically anyone with Photoshop (or like program) should be able to do the same. Maybe you all can convince the guy on pinside that makes replacement decals (think he's in Canada) to make them.

2 weeks later
#99 7 years ago

I'll follow up to see where they are with the test print. I'm betting it will be the new year before they get it back though.

#101 7 years ago

Got word back. Print should go to the printer in the next week or two with getting it back the first of the new year.

1 month later
#104 7 years ago

Since selling my game I've kind of handed things off to Panther. Let me ping them to see if they have had any luck with the latest print.

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from pantherpinball:

Sorry for the long delay everybody, I intend to have the newest print ready to show off at TPF this year.
Richard

That's great to hear Richard. You must be a mind reader as I hadn't even sent the e-mail to you yet. Got side tracked with my daughters party and then came here and was like, "crap, I forgot".

3 weeks later
#112 7 years ago
Quoted from TheKreator:

Not sure if it's just the lighting, or maybe my monitor configuration, but the yellows look to have a bit of a greenish tint? Or maybe just a bit darker than the original. Yellow being a big part of the Batman color scheme, I think it would be important to be sure the yellows on the playfield are a close match to the yellows on the cab side art. (And maybe they are, again could be just the pics or monitor.)

I'll take a stab at this and provide as much info as possible about why this isn't 100% perfect.

The yellows are a bit off but not as bad as the pictures make them. They are as close as I was able to get them to match my original PF. Problem is that yellow doesn't print well in this type of printing process. That would be part of the "artwork and know that its not going to be 100% perfect" part comes from with Panther. With how detail oriented the Pinball community is I was very concerned about offering the artwork for this service as their are some colors that aren't spot on and some of the artwork is not 100% in the same alignment as the original PF. They would be hard to find but I'm sure some people will notice them thus the full disclosure. In order to make this I took pictures of my spare PF (was beat to all heck) and stitched things together. At that point I zoomed in on the art to where I was basically looking at 4 inch by 4 inch squares on my monitor. I then started to redraw and blend the art together to improve the resolution and look. After it was all done we started the test prints of which required some art to be moved and redrawn since it wasn't aligning properly to the inserts. I'm not anywhere close to a pro with PS and more a hobbyist thus why it has taken so long and is not perfect. If I had to ballpark it I would say I have every bit of 600+ hours into the art work at this point.

All the above is the main reason why we want to have the most recent version at TPF so people can put their hands on it and to see if they are OK with the product before having their PF done as once it gets started their is no turning back (PF is stripped and sanded smooth down to bare wood).

#113 7 years ago

I'll add one additional item in a separate post as I don't want people to associate it with any specific pinsider and I'll apologize in advance if it sounds like I am whining.

I've been asked dozens of times now for me to provide the artwork. At this point I have stopped responding to those PM's as sometimes they turn confrontational (people think I'm being petty or a jerk for not sharing it with them) and those that know me outside of Pinside know that I'm not really a confrontational type of person so I have chosen to just not engage in that anymore. Just not worth the heartburn anymore.

Publicly answering the question, and no I wont get into a public debate about it:

I'm sorry to all those that want it, but I am not willing to share the artwork at this point and time. My original goal was to get a repo PF professional made at the time I started the effort. I offered up my files to (rename nameless) some professional companies at the fee of just getting one of the repos for free. None of them were interested as they didn't want to start with someone elses art of which I can appreciate/respect that. It was at that point I started down the overlay process which was promising. I then met panther and their connections to a printer that could print a PF and a partnership was made as it felt to be the best option for all.

I have said it before and I will hold true to this, that if we can not get to a viable restoration service then I will post the files here for everyone. But if we can get to a viable restoration service then I will not share the files to anyone other than Panther. They have taken on the expenses of testing the art and they deserve the right to recoup some of those expenses (printing is not cheap and we have done several prints). I feel we are super close to getting things to the point of being able to rework PF. We've even discussed options to help with cost (like stages) so that everyone that wants this done would be able to get it done. Goal for both Panther and I is to see some of these games getting restored and appreciated.

Stay tuned, and if you get to see the PF at TPF please share your feedback with Panther and myself as we want things to be as close to perfect as possible.

1 month later
#121 7 years ago
Quoted from MalikyeMoon:

Any update on Joker Ramp decals anyone? I thought I Found someone who successfully removed and scanned the main ramp, and joker ramp decals. That may have been on a Visual Pinball thread, but I Thought it was Pinside.
FYI - I am providing someone with my NOS set of plastics soon, so you will see a small number of sets available before too long. When they go retail I'll let you know. It took me a damn long time to find them.
I also have a line on replacement Batcaves that should be available within a few months.

The ramp scans are on page one of this thread. The joker decals I never got to as I sold my game before swapping ramps over.

4 months later
#136 6 years ago

Figured their may be some here that may be interested in this add - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-batman-nos-playfield

Restoration opportunity is still in process but you can't be NOS. My art is not a 100% match so this is a good chance to get a NOS PF.

5 months later
#146 6 years ago

Woohoo! Making progress.

As Panther mentioned the printing is not perfect just do to the process. We've tried putting in as many alignment marks as possible for the printer but the slightest misalignment causes a couple of the inserts to have some wood peak through. As Panther mentioned those are not in real noticeable locations but we also know the pinball community and less than perfect becomes a concern thus the full disclosures. The major inserts that are easily visible I put a small buffer in the art to help prevent wood from showing in them. The inserts that are most common are the top three in lanes for the skill shot, the two inserts under the bat ramp and the arrow insert for the scoop.

Just to restate it as I still get a request about once a month. I wont share the art files or sell them to anyone unless Panther decides he no longer wants to try this task. He has a considerable amount of time and money locating printers and having test PF's purchased and printed so it wouldn't be right to start giving out the files. I no longer have my game but I'm still wanting this option to come to light so those that love their game can have an option for their PF's. I still commit that if Panther does decide to throw in the towel that I will post the final art files for everyone to use as they see fit.

1 week later
#153 6 years ago

Looks like the new print format is doing a better job filling the inserts so they don't show through in her dress for the bonus X inserts.

5 months later
#158 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

There was someone making the bat cave ramp covers but don’t recall anyone making the actually ramps.
I was hoping CPR would begin making parts for DE Batman but according to Kevin they don’t have art for playfield, plastics or backglasses

Sad part is I offered up my art files when this process all started. Told them it wasn't perfect (obviously from what ya'll see) but should have been a good start for a pro. Thus the efforts to make my own direct print/overlays. I've since lost those files with the colors broken out and only have the merged files.

Panther - Sorry, as I've lost your contact e-mail. This still in the works? If not, I'll post those files for those here to make their own overlays.

1 month later
#161 5 years ago

Not sure if you saw them but I have scans of the main ramps decals here as well. If you click on them they will allow full resolution ability. Maybe that will help as well.

1 year later
#166 4 years ago

Awesome. Glad to see the process has been figured out.

5 months later
#170 3 years ago
Quoted from uncivil_engineer:

Through round about means, I came into possession of one of Pantherpinball's re-printed DE Batman playfields. I had it cleared with Omni 262 clear coat. It took almost 15 oz of clear to get a good coat on it. I then let it sit for a couple of days, and wet sanded with 1500/2500/3000 grit paper, and followed it up with a good polishing. The results are pretty nice!
My only mistake was not looking for registration errors around the middle of the playfield. I have one by the main ramp entrance I could have easily fixed, but I didn't catch it.
[quoted image]

Looks pretty good and happy you were able to get something made. Looks like the printer got the PF a bit to far aligned to the left which is what caused several of the inserts to show the wood. That's one of the major challenges with not having a jig for them to print with is getting that aligned perfectly. If it's off a bit to the left or right there will be some registration issues. It looks like they kept the PF in place after the white layer as I don't see any bleed from it (there is a white layer that goes down and then the color on top separately.

#171 3 years ago

So I've been asked at least 25 times for the files for the DIY people out there. I have held off producing those files as there was an agreement that I would get a portion of the sell of the restored PF's as my compensation for the 600+ hours I put into the artwork. I've seen several of these PF's being made now, which is SUPER exciting and tells me they are being done, but that second part of the agreement apparently is no longer valid. No biggie and water under the bridge but providing explanation on why I'm changing my stance that I've made countless times here.

As such, I have officially loaded the files to the VP forum for use by everyone that's been asking for them. I loaded 3 files. A white file, color file and a VP file. If you want to make an overlay you need the white and color file. The VP file has wood graining and inserts added to it for easy using in a VPX table. It also makes a nice piece of wall art for those interested in that. Those files are loaded here - https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=15114 In order to get them I believe you have to be a member (which is free though).

**** Alignment is CRITICAL to make sure all inserts are covered properly if printing on a wood PF. I have a test file PF on my wall that is proof things do line up when the printer gets it right. For making an overlay there are alignment marks for the printer to make it super easy to get the white and color file aligned. ****

Looking forward to seeing a bunch of PF's getting taken care of. Keep in mind, this artwork is not perfect. I'm not a professional artist and only had the goal to make my game better and not for a perfect replication of the game. Using this artwork is at your own risk so I'd make sure it lines up with your game before you make any permanent changes (like sanding the PF) as not all games were 100% the same nor do I know if changes were made to the art after I handed it over to the team that is doing the restorations today.

I should also add that I lost the HD in the computer that had the source Photoshop files so I no longer have those. All I was able to dig up were the two files I loaded at VP forums. I'm about 90% those are the most up to date print files based off looking at the artwork and seeing where some fixes happened (that happened real late). As such, I'm not 100% these are the absolute last version of the artwork I had. Just trying for full disclosure so you have all the info before taking any action with it as I know having things printed isn't cheap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hudson, OH
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Apex, NC
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 85vett.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-de-pf?tu=85vett and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.