Topic Stats

• 2,353 posts
  • 281 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Macca101010
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 246 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Samuel (resized).jpg
Backglass (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
123488904-Space_Seed_098 (resized).jpg
cardealer_4b-960x641 (resized).jpg
They-Live-They-live-Glasses-2 (resized).jpg
5130020624_affaf5787b_b (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
20170316_125205 (resized).jpg
IMG_2980 (resized).PNG
IMG_2979 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0142 (resized).JPG
heavenly-bm66 (resized).jpg
laser-beam-sharks (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #574 YouTube of the dead flip stream of Batman 66 Posted by DeadFlip (2 years ago)

Post #844 Photos of episode 81 game Posted by RocketPin (2 years ago)

Post #862 Photos of the backbox boards Posted by MK6PIN (2 years ago)

Post #910 Photos of gadget #38 Posted by Texasff78 (2 years ago)

Post #914 PHotos of gadget #91 Posted by taz (2 years ago)

Post #918 Photos of episode 83 Posted by doomid (2 years ago)

Post #1285 Batman Code update released and readme Posted by PiperPinball (2 years ago)

Post #1357 Photos of a pinsider's playfield with chipping and dimples Posted by Texasff78 (2 years ago)

Post #1503 Great photos of game episode #66 Posted by PiperPinball (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vireland.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#144 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

File damaged. Won't open.
I tried downloading twice.
LTG : )

Hrm...worked fine for me. If you still can't get it, PM me and I'll send it to you.

#163 2 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

I played my KISS LE tonight. Rumor has it that Lyman is finishing the code on it before he polishes BM66. Can't wait. Stern is awesome.

I guess it's last call for cheap KISS LE's then. They've been going for around $6k or a little less, which is a steal if you're patient. Once the code drops, prices will rebound if it's a Lyman-esque job.

#164 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Cough! WOF... Cough! 7 inserts that don't do anything and no Wizard mode.

Well, let's stick to realm of possibility with our wish list. Wheel of Fortune will remain forever abandoned. Keith has moved to JJP, and that's that.

#167 2 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

I agree. WOF is less complete but what's there is still far better than what's on KISS or most other non Lyman or Keefer games. Will likely never be finished but it's still fun to hope!

Totally disagree. I've owned WoF and there's a TON of polish missing, useless inserts, missing callouts, no wizard mode - it feels very incomplete. I'd never have one again. KISS Prem/LE is WAY further along than WoF ever was, and on route, KISS Prem/LE kills it, earning very well as-is, WoF was and is always a route dog around here.

#171 2 years ago
Quoted from stretch2:

Where is a more affordable Pro version for the masses to buy? Seems like only the elite can have Bat 66 in any pricing configuration...

Get used to it. The Prem/LE only will probably be the way all the boutique ones go to cover the licensing and additional parties involved. At least you have up to 3 cornerstone titles to look forward to annually.

#253 2 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

I'll flip the instruction card when I have a chance on my laptop. Many have asked about the topper. I forgot it at stern, we pulled the game right off the line and didn't think about the topper until after we left.

Flipped the card for you.

batman-instruction-card (resized).jpg

#260 2 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Wow! Was this complete prophecy? George Michael, dead. Freaky timing.

Be careful what you say, the universe is always listening...

#467 2 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Wow!!!! I think GB is a brick fest. The ramps are not smooth and the ball stays in the pops forever. I wish it could be tweaked. You get air balls galore and the ball hits the ramp on the premium. It definitively has major major design flaws.

Once I added a protector I made, 90% of my GB airballs went away. Not really an issue. The protectors you can buy seem to have similar success. Angle of the machine seems to also dictate how long a ball will stay in the pops, so make it steeper if it's in there too long for you.

#729 2 years ago
Quoted from DJNOEL30:

I don't understand it, maybe it's just me I simply just don't like the game. The artwork looks like a lick and stick, the music is week, the so-called interactive play with the LCD has been overstated IMO and the play field is too dark. Like I said early maybe future code updates will make the light show better like it did with GB. When I first got GB it looked like the play field was lit up with over the top "whites" then when I updated it with 1.11 it turned into an awesome game with bright colors and call outs. So maybe there is hope for this one, but I'm still out even for a premium just on the layout alone..

And you passed on an SLE, right?

#822 2 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

It's all good. Stern is taking care of it. Their support has been outstanding.

New side sticker or new cabinet?

#915 2 years ago
Quoted from Texasff78:

Pretty new to pinball but so far I like the game. We love the Batman theme and the game seems to have a lot of potential once the rules get deepened. Issues so far are quite a bit of pitting on the playfield from flyers off the magnet and a ball that repeatedly gets won't release from the multiball capture. The playfield pitting seems to be significant. Also the magnet tends to throw the ball onto the left plastic which rolls it directly to the left outlane. Hopefully they come up with tweaks to fix the issues.

Welcome to pinball!

Pitting (aka dimpling) is normal. It's most noticeable on a new playfield, but once there's a lot of dimples, it evens out and looks fine. Totally normal.

#920 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

If someone's brand new $10k-15k Batman is looking like swiss cheese already - that's a problem.

Don't think they were saying it was as bad as swiss cheese...and *generally speaking* it's a normal process that evens out over time.

#922 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Not on recent Stern playfields. It's not a given that it will even out. Some are great, some are pretty good, some turn into Deadpool's face.

Aside from the February-October 2016 "lets make cheap playfields" abortions, the Churchill ones (which they're using again) are fine. There are WAY more that are fine than are "swiss cheese" in the big picture. Yes, 2016 was traumatic, but don't blow the playfield thing out of proportion. Stern made a big playfield mistake and I hope they learned their lesson.

#924 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Sweet. Gonna have to fight the horrible traffic and make the trip up the 101.

19 pins in a Korean BBQ? Where do they PUT them?!?

#926 2 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Between the Bulgogi and Gochujang pork.

Well...that's not kosher.

#939 2 years ago
Quoted from Texasff78:

I'm going to add a few pics of the dimpling. It may be tough to see but my Addams Family and other Stern playfields I've seen don't look like this.

Wow, that does indeed seem more like pits than dimples.

What's the date on the edge of your playfield? Are these maybe the "crappy" version playfield vendor that caused all the GB troubles?

#974 2 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Anybody hear anything on the new batman code? I know I'm dead flip Gomez said new code on Tuesday and still there is nothing posted?

Assuming that starts next Tuesday since a lot of key Stern staff are at CES.

#1010 2 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Why are the JJP or the Chicago gaming games not doing its ? My Woz LE and Star Trek are the same build month and played the same. The Star Trek looks like the moon.

I get WAY more airballs on Star Trek than I ever get on WoZ. Airballs are the main cause.

#1011 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Ok, explain why my Iron Man, Tron, Spider-Man, and AC/DC didn't wear like my GBLE has or how GoT has or how Batman is now showing. The games are different in some way today. The dimples are much more noticeable, numerous, and deeper into the wood in the newer games. Call BS all you want, but you're wrong. All evidence (proof, actually) points to newer Stern games having a higher likelihood to dimple and pit.

Or less time in design, resulting in a strong rise in number of airballs.

#1013 2 years ago
Quoted from SteveMan:

Thanks.
It seems like the only way to not have dimples is to use one of the hard plastic whole playfield protectors. I haven't read anything here yet about anyone getting dimples under one of those. I'm still trying to decide whether to install one on my new GB. On the one hand your playfield should stay as new, on the other hand seems like a PITA to install and people say it's overkill for HUO.

And your playfield soon looks like murky crap with them on.

#1090 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Just wanted to put this in here as well as the official thread, looking to get a replacement gadget selector bat symbol made, ideally laser cut like the ones seen on ST, TWD, GOT etc.
Firstly any bat symbol could be used but I went with the one off the 66 Batmobile and my reasons for that where:
It was the only 66 symbol online in red
But the real reason I chose it was because I plan to pin stripe my LE armour like the SLE armour & with the topper combined they represent the Batmobile, especially with the SLE cabs having the Batmobile side art it just seemed like a great all round fit plus it allows for the text to be nicely incorporated in the middle between the wing tips or within the symbol, as I find the Bat Gadget decal placed to one side looking a little awkward.

How about something more along these lines?

batgadget-2 (resized).jpg

#1107 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Looks pretty cool, which ever design is used having the BM66 font would be sweet.

I tried your suggestion, but sometimes more is too much. I think these are more utilitarian, so a little flair on a simple, san-serif font is probably okay, but using a crazy font for everything is visually too busy and ugly. Using Batfont for the "Bat" and a san-serif font for the rest isn't bad, though.

batgadget-3 (resized).jpg
batgadget-4 (resized).jpg

#1108 2 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Seems odd that you'd play "Ghostbusters" when it's between a Rob Zombie and an AMH... either you're a masochist or you're part of the "Spooky Isn't Real Pinball!" crowd.

Wow. I didn't realize he had a RZ and AMH. AMH I can give a pass on, but dogging on GB so hard when you have a Rob Zombie, one of the crappiest pins in recent memory, pretty much destroys all credibility. I would take a GB Premium all day long over that (unfortunately) ugly, boring mess of a pin. Like RZ a lot, hate that pin.

#1110 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Are you talking about me? You're having a conversation with someone I have on ignore so I'm assuming someone is slandering me. I do not have an RZ. It's a piece of shit. The location near me has one. Playing it once was enough. I'll be looking forward to hit retraction on my credibility, Vic. Thank you.

Haha! I had no idea what you did or didn't have. That other person said you had a RZ and AMH, which is what I was responding to. I understand now why you had him on ignore...sorry about that. I was incredulous that you had a RZ and were dogging on GB. This makes a lot more sense!

#1150 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I don't know I like it but maybe the text just needs to be smaller so its not so over powering, the text on the factory decal is pretty small, I will be looking into options this week just be good to know which options people prefer text can be decided upon later but one piece design with writing incorporated within the Bat symbol or 2 piece design with the text below in a separate box between the wing tips?

Well, looking at the actual machine, the head is almost completely obscured by the button, so I don't think there's room for text up there on the real deal anyway.

#1223 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...and currently doesn't exist and won't be shipping any time soon.
Say what you will about Batman and it's baby beta code....you can send a check and have one now.

What's the new target date? The original late 2016 has come and gone...

#1269 2 years ago

One thing I noticed right off on B'66 is there are a TON of compression artifacts in the animated video from the original series. It's pretty clear they're just playing video clips. However, the animation is so sparse and infrequent, they would be WAY better off just displaying the art cut from the original uncompressed (or, well, much LESS compressed) source frames and using a simple animation system to move them when necessary. This would eliminate compression artifacts completely, shrink the amount of storage/memory required substantially, and make much better looking animation at a pretty small cost, labor-wise.

And, actually, the simple animation system could be re-used and expanded for future titles, since they're going to be running into this problem again on future LCD-based titles. Seems like a no-brainer.

#1280 2 years ago
Quoted from zeddex:

Video is nothing more that a series of frames playing back - Its all 'animated' - the thing you seem to be proposing is less frames playing back per second, which would simply result in a jerky effect. All digital video is 'compressed' (IE nothing you ever watch is truly uncompressed) to some degree and its all a cost/benefit analysis of performance vs quality. Batman '66 is not just running video clips, they are running video clips that are being served up randomly accessed and with images composited over them on the fly. This all takes horsepower and its a process that will probably be improved over time - if not on this pin, then over the life of this system.
EDIT: In re-reading your post, you seem to actually be addressing the graphic overlays - there is no separating those, they have to be composited onto the video for final output. Thats just how things work - you end up with one final video image/stream thats piped onto the display and its all a part of the same level of compression.

You don't know what you're talking about. What I was talking about would result in NO compression artifacts. The VRAM isn't "compressed" to display on the screen. You send it what you send it what hits your screen is, by definition, uncompressed. The only way you get motion compression artifacts is if you're playing heavily compressed video. And, if you're doing the simple animation manually, the graphics look sharp and move crisply (as long as you pay attention to the refresh rate of the target display), I mean, think about it - this is the way all 2D games were done! Right now there's a swamp of compression artifacting in the background of the video introducing Batman and Robin. There is NO animation in that background - none. So, it would be much better to have a solid, non-animated background, and then manually put the non-animated graphics of batman and then Robin over it.

As a bonus, that approach would take of a tiny fraction of the amount of storage the video is taking up now. Animation systems have been used for decades to get around the poor video quality and storage requirements of animation on systems with low specs. We did a game on SEGA CD, a system that had tons of TERRIBLE compressed video and lower specs than Spike 2, that used an animation system instead of compressed video and the results were the best ever released on SEGA CD. It can be done, and that's the approach Stern should be taking instead of the video clip approach when the animation is simple like it is for Batman.

#1282 2 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

I vote for Stern to hire you to implement this process. Unless they read these forums for ideas?

I'm not moving to Chicago. Love the food, not so hot on the "murder capital of the US" thing. Besides I have a job in games already.

I would, however, see about helping them develop a simple animation system for their toolbox. But I don't think they're looking for outside contractors.

#1283 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I don't know the specs of Spike 2, but I wonder if compression is necessary to avoid any sort of lag for those clips. I would be shocked if that was an actual issue with solid state media, but I don't know for sure. Maybe down the line those assets can be updated to be higher res. Could storage space be an issue as well?

Dunno the specs of Spike 2, but I would bet on storage limits, not bandwidth as the reason for the compression.

#1289 2 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

the artifacts in the video can be minimized with better encoding. In real time video flat surfaces with shadows are the worst for macroblock effects (those blocky, off color blocks you see) but because we are real-time, we have to balance things to avoid latency.
When encoding for just playback, you can optimize your encoding far far better because you can take longer. Your BluRays are compressed and have very little artifacting.. because of the encoders and bitrate. Besides storage and RAM... no reason to have compression artifacts in a system like this unless the streaming bitrate is horrible... which would be stupid on a system just released.
This is again.. probably just Stern learning the ropes.

Yeah, but for a minimally-animated series of scenes, running them as movie clips are the least-efficient way to do them. Doing them as a handful of graphics manually animated would take up literally something like 50-100x less storage space and almost no bandwidth.

#1290 2 years ago

HOLY NEW BATCODE!

Huh. Maybe they meant every Thursday.

#1293 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

How do you know they are being played as movies? I saw files entitled animated in the assets folder of the rom, but they weren't a typical movie format (mpg, mp4, etc). Maybe they are are already a series of extracted images compressed and animated in sequence?

The moving compression artifacts give it away. I'm not saying it's a standard movie format (but it probably is), but they're movies. The animated stuff is probably overlays and the bits like when you capture a villain, which are NOT movies.

#1337 2 years ago
Quoted from twenty84:

I've now seen this twice on the same BM66 prem in the middle of games: Right after the ball is plunged the game reboots it restarts in attract mode. I don't recall anyone else mentioning this. I saw it once with code 0.60 and again with 0.65. Is this a known issue with the code or some problem with this particular example?

Hasn't happened on the one we have. Sounds like a possible intermittent physical short or bad node board.

#1500 2 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

It's not. But the BM66 cores look actually worse after two weeks compared to your two YEAR game.
Maybe it was so rushed they didn't care about PF angles and geometry so constant airballs are the norm? Don't know - haven't played it.

It has WAY less airballs than a stock Ghostbusters. Lots of dead shots, but not a ton of airballs.

#1508 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

70,000?
Jesus. At $1 a play that's that's 4 and 2/3rds SLEs.

There's probably a decent location split in there, though. Still, impressive count.

1 week later
#1537 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Code. Will clearly be fixed. The theme integration so far is excellent, and still on .65 pre-release code.

v0.68 dropped today.

#1557 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I am the third owner of a premium and mabey that was good for me because I don't have any of these reported problems.

Game's been out a little over a month and changed hands THREE times? That has to be a record...

#1560 2 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I think there used to be a Coasterguy on here who sometimes sold quickly. BM66 isnt for everyone though. It's nostalgia gives me the patience to wait on code. Without the nostalgia factor, probably not.

Well the only choice there IS with Batman '66 is to wait on code because there's barely anything there at the moment. The game settings talk about a LOT of features not implemented that sound cool, so I think good things are coming, we'll just have to wait.

#1577 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Moving the nib to the inside of the left car woman ramp has done the trick for me. And funnily enough, the exact same nib setup is on the inside of the far right ramp on GB - from the factory. They had to put it there because it would interfere with the right orbit exit.
Again, the only question are the 2 screw threads left on the outside of the ramp. I've had them covered in a small piece of tape and after 50 or so games, the tape is untouched. So I'm thinking of covering them in a small amount of silicone or glue - the rubber dip you mention might do the trick.
Would love someone else to try moving this to get a second opinion, but at the moment I can't see the downside.

Did you use longer screws? Without the threaded nubs, it doesn't seem possible to affix it on the inside left - the screws don't extend past the rubber slab.

#1582 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

No need - the existing screws are long enough to reach into existing threaded nubs, but obviously from the other side.

They barely reached when I did it, so I just got slightly longer ones from the hardware store. Seems to make a huge difference on that left orbit shot already. Not 100% sure, but it does seem to make slightly off left ramp shots less successful. In any case, I'll take the trade. It should be like this from the factory.

#1586 2 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

So why must we continue to punish ourselves in believing that we must have the next new pin before out neighbor gets it believing that it'll be the next big hit. Why not wait and find out that it's the next big hit first then get it? Save yourself the torture? Or are we at a point in the hobby where getting kicked in the nuts is not just a privilege, but an honor?

I think the Batman disaster put the lid on that behavior for a lot of eager collectors. Ghostbusters put them close to the edge, but BM'66 seems to have pushed a number I know over. Aerosmith is an easy skip for most, but we'll see if they can stick to it when Star Wars arrives.

#1588 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Because the nib is rubber, I was able to compress it enough to get the screws to bite. As long as the head on replacement screw you used is the same as the original and doesn't sit proud of the counter sunk hole.

I wanted to make sure it was secure, so I went for the longer grab and just saved the original screws. Definitely the best available solution, but no idea why there just aren't two posts at the ramp entrance like normal with some rubber sleeves on them. Feels like more cost reduction.

#1624 2 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

This is such a nitpick but it drives me crazy that they're using such awful fonts. I think I used that typeface as a header for a biology paper about hamsters in the eighth grade. The crappy serif font on the "Mystery" tv animation is particularly egregious.

Hard to disagree with this point of view. Seems very "placeholder-y."

#1626 2 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

So, reading between the lines:
The turn table is not awesome, but you are hoping it will be eventually
The code sucks right now, but since it's Lyman, you are hoping it will turn out great
The photoshop artwork isn't as nice as the Zombi Yeti artwork of GB (no surprise)
I'd like to hear whats so fun about it in its current form?

The ONLY thing that's fun currently for me is trying to get a 4 villain stack so you can one-shot them all to jail. THAT is actually pretty challenging and really fun. But that can't be the only attraction, so the code needs lots of attention.

And, for the record, moving the bumper pad to the inside left of the left ramp FIXES the terrible left orbit shot. Anyone with a BM66 should do it at once.

#1635 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Must be someone here that uses Facebook with Lyman on their friends list that could ask that very question if it's placeholder or not? I just finished watching the coast2coast video with Lyman playing TWD and you can tell by the way he tasks he loves what he does and his thought to coding is real deep he doesn't do anything without a genuine purpose.

I'm not getting too hung up on details until 1.00 is out and there's a real release. ALL this alpha-level release stuff is subject to change.

That said, I would like to see the implementation of negative hurryups as an occasional mystery award.

#1644 2 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Do you know how much Stern would have to start charging if they moved to an upgraded font?

Yeah, I do, actually. In my experience, for most fonts in a commercial use, it's like $200 one-time license fee to use in all the games. Virtually nothing in the big picture.

#1652 2 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Soo.... basically they would tag an extra $500 onto every game to cover this expense. Got it

I dunno what Stern would charge per pin to cover it, but the costs depend on the license (different creators have different terms), but the ones we've done have been one-time, usable across multiple games we've done, so we're talking a really, really miniscule cost concern.

#1661 2 years ago
Quoted from Slugburger:

Hi
Got these red bumpers 3 D printed fixed the air ball problems from the blue bumpers that i threw to the S..House have tried the bumper on the right hand side LH orbit shot is now easier.

Works fine just by relocating the blue bumper on the left side to the inside. No need to make a different bumper.

HOWEVER what SHOULD be made is a SLEEVE that thinly slides over the inside, top, and outside of the ramp wall with a thick bumper on the end for both the left and right side of the ramp. THAT would be a great solution, and the two nubs on the outside of the ramp walls with the threads would hold it in place well.

#1671 2 years ago
Quoted from extendo:

My crane aint working, anyone kind enought to check there motor assembly to see if there solder joint should attached to the body of the motor. The arm moves freely when I move it manually. Power to the motor is okay. Guessing motor is foobar, sound from the motor is there however no movement of the penguin crane.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o41k7hxg1bj00c6/20170204_213533.jpg?dl=0
Thanks.

You're missing the zip tie that holds that kludged mess to the side of the motor, for one. But maybe the gear just came off the top of the motor where it connects to the crane assembly. Is the gear still attached to the motor?

PenguinMotor (resized).JPG

#1681 2 years ago
Quoted from extendo:

Thank you, a 3 cent zip tie is what holds that blob of weld on the motor only ? Oh my lord lol

I attached a picture to the original post so you can see.

#1682 2 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Lyman didn't touch the IM code...but he did code AFM, MM, MB, AC/DC, MET, TWD, and Tron.

And the original Batman Dark Knight. Let's list the duds with the hits. Batman'66 is his shot at redemption for the original BDK turd.

#1711 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

While the code is like this no one can get a true feel for the finished game, it's the same situation as TWD & MET and Lyman turned them into classics, BM66 is hopefully going to get the same treatment.

One thing you CAN judge currently is the poor geometry of lots of the shots, leading to dead balls everywhere. The left orbit from the factory is a DISASTER. Moving the pad on the ramp to the inside almost completely fixes it, making it what I would call acceptable - I HIGHLY recommend this fix!

The software will make the dead shots tolerable (or even reduce them, hopefully, by changing rotisserie timing), but it won't fix it completely.

#1723 2 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

The left orbit jams up evey time with the cleanest shot. In fact the faster you hit the left orbit the worse it is

This complaint is no longer allowed since the fix (moving the pad inside on the left side of the ramp) is simple and effective, making that left orbit FINE. Anyone who complains and doesn't make the fix just wants to complain.

#1725 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Which pretty much sums up this thread.
Or should I say Pinside.

Well, hey, I'm not immune. I complain about issues related to pin QC and code, but when there is a SOLUTION, I fix the issue and stop complaining about it. That seems like a normal course of action. There is a lot of not-normal in some of these threads, though. I chalk it up to passion...usually.

#1739 2 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I took three years of German in high school and had to look it up.
Pleasure taken from another's misfortune!

All I learned in HS German was "ich weiss nicht"

#1750 2 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

What's the rush? Playing enthusiasm on Pinside for Lyman's last pin, TWD, didn't take off until around 1.24/1.28 code. Pre 1.0 code is very bare bones, and the Lyman designation of 0.65 for the latest BM66 code means it has a long ways to go.

0.68 is actually the latest code. We moved .03 in almost 3 weeks between 0.65 and 0.68. At this rate it will be almost a year from release to 1.00, and another 6 months to the "good" version range of 1.24-1.28 on TWD.

#1754 2 years ago

Can you post a pic of the left pad moved to inside the ramp please?

Here you go...

I still think a padded rubber "sleeve" that slides over the inside, outside, top, and front of the ramp ends would be the best solution. The nubs that hold the threads on the outside would hold it in place. The factory shipping condition, and this fix are not the best solution, but the move to the inside DOES make a huge difference.

Batman-ramp-pad (resized).JPG

#1755 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It would be like going and buying a video game and all you get is the case and a disc with nothing on it, and they tell you "the game will be finished in 2-3 years.

Ubisoft tried that with AC:Unity, and Warner did it with the last Batman game for PC, which they ended up abandoning. Both shipped in abysmal shape and they said they'd fix later, which was only partially true. If I remember right, Batman set a record for Steam refund requests and negative user reviews before they shut it down. It's not a far-fetched scenario.

HOWEVER, those are $60 games, not $10k-$15k machines. HUGE difference in expectations, and rightly so.

#1761 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Agree 100%! Batman66 is a dream theme for me for sure. I'm talking more about the gameplay itself, I don't think it will be as good as TWD or GB Premium. That's just me though, everyone's opinion is different and I understand that. That doesn't mean it can't be great by any means though. I just think WD and GB is the Chit

I will say that even with the questionable shot geometry and bare code (but with secrets like Commissioner Gordon batphone pump already in place), playing BM'66 feels more breezy and less WORK than playing GhostBusters. GB is rewarding when you get going, but it's a lot of WORK. BM'66 is less pressure from the get-go, and most games are entertaining even though there's little to do at the moment and almost no callouts. I remain critical, but optimistic.

#1763 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Once the callouts are in place, I think they will be a game changer in themselves. Especially if Lyman can code them as George stated to taunt us while we play, that will be awesome and add to immersion that the player is playing as Batman and having the villains commenting on our play.
And the big plus and probably what we are all most looking forward to having included; Romero's Joker Laugh, Meredith's Penguin Quack, Gorshin's Riddler Giggle & I am sure we could all listen to Julie Newmar's Purrrr-fect all day it will all add to the immersion and tonnes of nostalgia for the ears to enjoy!

The only bummer is that Adam West sounds REALLY OLD in the callouts already recorded and waiting in the code to be used. Like Mr- Burns-does-Batman-level old. Burt Ward's Robin doesn't sound bad, but I wish they had used an impersonator for a younger batman sound that matches the time of the game.

#1771 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

They could try a 5 or 10% speedup on his dialog...might help give it a bit more "youthful" bounce.

It's not the speed so much as the wavering vibrato-ish delivery. Pretty much unfixable.

#1774 2 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

That MB I got for $12.5K makes BM66 look like a wal mart piece of shit. I'm over Stern's Chinese built motorcycle quality machines. Defend them all you want, but they are shipping garbage and people keep blowing their money on these things. So many better pins out there at these prices.

BUT, B'66 in its 0.68 very incomplete condition is almost as deep as Monster Bash already.

#1781 2 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Theres much more to a pinball machine than deep code? . I have 2 the best sterns made with the best code ever(met, twdp) and play my mb, afm, bsd, ss ,tz all the time and rarely turn on met and twd.....

I dunno. I've had MB twice, and once you get past the great theme, there's just not a lot of game there. I doubt I'll have it again.

#1782 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, he's being doing voiceover for Family Guy for over a decade - I think he's just used to recording a little goofier as "Mayor Adam West" vs. Batman.

Yes, I think that probably has a strong influence, but the director should have pulled him back a bit for this project to get a more even reading.

#1786 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

LOL...like they did with Fake Optimus, Karl Urban and Shitty Beast? Stern doesn't really have great vocal direction...I think if they get a good performance, it's because the actor really brought it.

Haha, point taken. Spiderman WE voice direction was awful, too, now that you make me remember (thanks for THAT!).

#1794 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Oh yeah, awful!!! Most of the Marvel stuff has been....but J.K Simmons on original Spider-Man? Fantastic! Cuz, ya know...J.K Simmons! ...and all the other voice clips were from the movie. OMG, remember Chloe in 24!?!? Jack. Pot. Jack. Pot? LOL

Yeah the original VA from Spiderman is the #1 reason to take one of those over the Spiderman VE. I could never have a Spiderman VE in my house - the voice would drive me nuts, but I had an original spiderman for a few years and it was great.

#1798 2 years ago

Has anyone else had problems with the GI lights falling apart? I've had two clear domes come off the GI lighting and get loose on the playfield. First time this has ever happened on a Stern I can remember.

#1804 2 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Yup. Was it the ones under the slings?? I think they're a little too close to the rubber. The ball is snapping the tops off.

One off the left sling at the top, the other off the right outlane guide...so far.

#1810 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Lets not talk about rich guys.

So should we just call them Richard, instead?

#1858 2 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

I was finally able to play BM66 and I have to say I was less than impressed!! 3 games on it and I was of to a MMR. I like the looks of this game but that was it. I played a few more games hoping to get into it and I just did not happen. The game is not terrible it just did not embrace my like the other games in the same room. I will try again another day... Disipointed!!

Multiball and the multipliers (which do not seem to be capped) are the main interest currently.

#1876 2 years ago
Quoted from ronaldvg:

I played three games now and the last I did not finish even. Never happened. I really do not see how any software is going to make this pin any good. Shots are just not there and the shots that are there rattle and roll more than anything.

DEFINITELY move the pad on the left ramp to the inside on the left side. Fixes the rattling, dead shots on the left orbit, making it shoot normally.

#1939 2 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Put some more time in on another local one. It still feels very clunky, and the turntable seemed to be having a hard time getting to where it needed to go - often, it'd rotate halfway, then stop for a couple seconds, then jerk around again.

There's an adjustment for the turntable speed in the settings that seems to make it a little less herky jerky, but it's still pretty slow overall.

#1941 2 years ago

Anyone mess with this setting yet?

Yeah, that's the one I turned down to like 800ms.

#1961 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

The real bummer is the actual geometry of the game. That left orbit is awful. It's partially blocked by the blue nub, but even if it wasn't, the angle of entry on it is bad. The ball enters sharply, so you rarely get a smooth transition form the main area to the orbit, and you get rattles. It's just poorly laid out and the orbit entry needs to be lower.
The left ramp is nice when the ball stays put, but it flew off often during play. Moving the nub from the outside of the ramp to the inside seems like a bad idea, as that ramp shouldn't be tightened up any more than it is. I love the shape of the wireform. Very pleasing to watch the ball roll along. I know there are fixes for the ball flying off, but that's insane that it left the factory as it is. That ridiculous nylon tie also got the ball stuck in the left orbit more than once. WTF IS A NYLON TIE DOING THERE?!

Moving the blue nub to the inside solves the left orbit shot problems completely. It actually makes the left orbit shot easier and more consistent than the right orbit shot. So, non-issue if you make the easy fix.

Quoted from jar155:

The turntable is a mess. Not a good shot on any side. On the magnet side, you get really goofy action, and there's too much dead space. The sides with the targets have dead space around them too. The spinner side is the worst, as the clean shot just dumps with a thunk into the orbit, and a spinner hit barely spins the Batmobile because of the dead space around it which causes the ball to deflect back into the spinner before it dribbles down the middle of the playfield. Often times it would tell you to shoot the phone and not have the phone facing you. The phone is also ridiculously loud and annoying. The ball often got stuck on the lip of the turntable, and it causes airballs too. Neat idea, but bad implementation.

Agreed, and the targets are mounted too close to a metal support on the TV side and will get jammed closed in the inside side (and stop registering) unless the targets are moved away slightly. I've had to do this twice already.

Quoted from jar155:

The right ramp is weak. it's this tiny little climb up, which often gets made by ricochet (a ramp should never be a ricochet shot!). Feels ok to hit though. Feels good to combo from the left ramp and vice versa.
The right spinner is really poorly integrated. That target right behind it often stops the ball and causes it to roll back through the spinner. Other times you get just messy action as it bounces around up there as the ball has to make a sharp direction change right after hitting the spinner. Feels like it was just tacked on for no real good reason.
The half scoop on the right was a little odd. Feels like a full scoop would have been better. We had a screw fall into the spot and had to pull the glass to get it out.
The right orbit is the best shot in the game as far as entry goes, but it's still not as smooth as most orbits should be. I noticed that a lot of orbit shots fed into the slings often rather than coming reliably to the flippers. I hope that was just a problem specific to this machine, because that would be an unforgivable design flaw.

These are pretty small concerns compared to the left orbit and turntable (for me).

Quoted from jar155:

The gadget stand ups should have been drops. It's a shame that they went cheap there. Oh, well.

100% agree.

Quoted from jar155:

The game just geometry problems that aren't going to be fixed by code. Yes, the game will get MUCH better as the code evolves, but it's never going to be a smooth or great shooter. Gomez has really struggled to get a smooth game out the door in recent years. Transformers, Avengers, and now this are all rattly and kind of janky in their flow. I don't know what happened after Lord of the Rings, but everything since then feels pretty much half baked. Maybe he's not getting enough time, or maybe his attention is divided, but B66 definitely feels underdeveloped in many ways, mostly on layout. Had to pull the glass off often throughout the night.

Never had to pull the glass on this one (well not mid-game - I did fix the targets, twice). But TWD shot kind of weird and code eventually changed the focus, which made the game seem to shoot a lot better with the same PF layout and toys. BM'66 could be like that, but Lyman has his work cut out for him, that's for sure!

Quoted from jar155:

I fear that this might be a casualty of just hurrying a game to production. It's not Avengers or Transformers bad, but it's not going to settle very high in the rankings of modern Sterns. Do your magic, Lyman, because this game needs it badly.

They need to give development more time and bring back location testing. JJP is doing it right, and it will give a better overall day 1 customer experience on Dialed In. Stern needs to re-evaluate and adjust. They won't, but they need to.

#1963 2 years ago
Quoted from pinsanity:

FOMO early adopters are the location beta testers now.

Yes, that's clear, but it's far inferior to a real location test of a handful of machines because if there's a real problem (say GoT left orbit) it's too expensive (not really, but they think so) to replace it for all the "beta testers" they sold it to already, whereas if they found it in a location test it could be adjusted and the part fixed before the first one ships to a customer.

#1976 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

I played one match against a friend and he finished ball 3 with 81m and then got 89m in bonus. Say what?

The rollovers are ripe for abuse because each time they're complete, you get a +1 multiplier, and Mystery (complete inland/outlane batsignals, then hit left orbit) hands out +5 multipliers, too. The multiplier isn't capped, either (at least as far as I can tell), so you can get a 50-60-70x multiplier or more if you keep the balls up at the top in a multiball so the rollovers are active. I've had bonuses in the 300m range as a result.

#2006 2 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

With Stern doing no testing and JJP testing how is it ball got caught on the left wireform on TH after shipping

They've been ramping up location testing on successive releases. Hobbit got less location testing than DI is getting, and it may be that the ball only got stuck if it came in very fast on a freshly-waxed playfield, I dunno. Whatever the reason, ANY location testing (JJP) is better than NO location testing (Stern).

#2008 2 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

There should be new code tonight iceman, that will be icing on the cake for you, games up and running plus new code doesn't get much sweeter

Fingers crossed we get new code tonight. They haven't been "on time" with Gomez's every other Tuesday once yet.

#2019 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Pinside also has moderators for a reason and if you continue thread crapping, I'm going to ask them to take appropriate action.

Especially since the mods have recently explicitly said they are modding for a kinder, gentler pinside.

#2096 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Lets be honest here. No one really gives a sh*t about your opinion. We only downvoted you because we want to visit "Batman66sucks.com" and cant wait to see you "really blow it up there, here, and everywhere else."

You can't register "sucks" domains anymore and keep them with rule changes in domain management. The copyright/trademark holder gets to take any domains with their marks for free just by filing one form.

Social media is the way to do that. No such rule there. @Batman66sucks is a go!

#2144 1 year ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Having too much fun with older games never played! I have just as much time in BOP as Batman, and other than the color screen, BOP is calling my name more.

Stick the DP BOP 2.0 with the color screen in it and it REALLY sings. Whole new game, and amazing.

#2156 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Stern has redesigned the ramp cover that eliminates the movement.

Really? Pics?

4 weeks later
#2192 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Certainly wouldn't take seriously the opinion of someone who has a handful of plays on a pin, on location especially.

You're eliminating their valid opinion because you've played it more and seen the "depth"? News flash, there is no depth. You can see the whole game in about 20 minutes. I've had well over a hundred plays on it and it's as bad as anything in recent memory. It shot poorly from hour one, and the minimal software updates have not helped that. Yes, there is a little more that works now, but it's still a snore to play with clunky shots. This was bought as something special to put on a route as a "thank you" to customers, but when it came in so unfinished, there was no way we'd put it out, so it's sat at my house mostly gathering dust. KISS LE gets more play, except when new software drops and it gets a few dozen more plays to realize not much has changed from the version before. So, yeah. From the location players to people with SLEs sitting in their house being played PLENTY to know, it's a game that shoots poorly as it stands. And I don't think software can fix it. I'd love to be proven wrong, but pretty sure I'm right. We'll know in a year when 1.00 finally ships.

#2197 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Are you playing a finished BM66 Vireland? Because the rest of us don't seem to have one?

Are you defending a finished BM'66? Then why put down other perfectly valid and on-target criticisms because those people only played it on location or at a show? There's almost nothing to the game as it sits. A handful of plays on location is PLENTY to form a reasonable opinion.

The game shoots poorly. Period. Look at my history. I've owned a LOT of pins (too many, really), so this assessment isn't pulled out of my butt. Software will not fix that. It may make it less glaringly obvious, but it will not change the geometry of the game.

But that's my opinion. The theme isn't enough for me to forgive the terrible, clunky shots. But maybe software can eventually smooth that over. We won't know for about a year, at least. Until then, I'm living in the here and now where BM'66 sucks.

(And the only reason I jumped back in is too many "you can't understand the awesomeness of the game because you only played it a few times" posts, which simply is not the case.)

#2204 1 year ago
Quoted from iceman44:

GBLE and its crappy geometry...

Batman'66 clunky shots make GBLE feel like a work of art. That's baked in and will not (cannot) change. Software may help BM'66. We have about a year before we find out.

#2265 1 year ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I suspect the scores will eventually stabilize to the lower side, as the game is very comfortable to get around. I also think the rotisserie becomes a major part of the game, and far from boring, once the Villains get on the screen and interact.

The software will have to be optimized to "hide" the stupid constant waiting for it to rotate into position to accept ball locks (maybe using virtual locks while it's out of position). When the dumb phone rings and I have the locks lit it's nothing but annoyance while you wait for the phone, then wait for it to rotate back so you can lock balls again. The lazy susan doesn't really add anything at all to the play experience currently, and is mostly an annoyance that slows down game progression.

#2269 1 year ago
Quoted from taz:

In BM66 I frequently have Penguin in jail and shoot Riddler to get the Batphone ringing, when the ball drops into the scoop randomly.

The WORST thing about this currently is when you have locks lit for the right orbit and have maybe one ball in the lock, then you HIT the orbit and the ball goes in the ball lock, BUT you activated Riddler, so it spins around and dumps the locked balls, not realizing it's dumped two, and you lose one ball and it goes dead thinking ball over. Been that way for the last two updates and it's REALLY annoying.

#2271 1 year ago
Quoted from o-din:

I don't have that happen on mine as I can't start another villain until jackpot is collected on the last villain at which time the locks become no longer lit. Unless you are playing with the villains stacked setting. I tried that for about one game and it was enough.

Yeah, I have villain stacking on.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
11,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Topeka, KS
7,500 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Warrenton, VA
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 13.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 19.99
Playfield - Plastics
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vireland.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside