IMG_2979 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0142 (resized).JPG
heavenly-bm66 (resized).jpg
laser-beam-sharks (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #574 YouTube of the dead flip stream of Batman 66 Posted by DeadFlip (7 years ago)

Post #844 Photos of episode 81 game Posted by RocketPin (7 years ago)

Post #862 Photos of the backbox boards Posted by MK6PIN (7 years ago)

Post #910 Photos of gadget #38 Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #914 PHotos of gadget #91 Posted by taz (7 years ago)

Post #918 Photos of episode 83 Posted by doomid (7 years ago)

Post #1285 Batman Code update released and readme Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Post #1357 Photos of a pinsider's playfield with chipping and dimples Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #1503 Great photos of game episode #66 Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#514 7 years ago

First impressions:

Playfield art looks less chaotic than I thought it might.

On a game with a massive price premium, it's hugely disappointing not to have full RGB LED inserts in the playfield, or at least a few more of them. ST Premium and LE were over 3 years ago and they still haven't matched them in subsequent titles. Light show is pretty much non-existent at this stage.

The backbox LCD is really, really lazy. Almost everything is static and completely non-animated. Things pop up over the video / cityscape background, or move across, but virtually nothing's been animated beyond these very simple transitions. Very, very little original art. Not much information tying the modes or what's being shot to the video or stuff being shown on screen. Video clips from the shows seem very random at times. Huge improvement cosmetically over their red-sludge DMDs, but at this stage effort is seriously absent - and since they didn't say it was place holder, one has to assume it isn't.

Crane implementation seems rather lacking, especially when compared to its sister machine BMtDK.

Mini LCD (TV on pf) doesn't really seem to do anything yet except say POW! BAM! or KAPOW! No comment on whether it will.

The wheel mech with all the bits on looked absolutely enormous and very complicated when George held it up. Given all the QC, build quality and basic design issues with Stern lately, I'd be seriously worried about it functioning properly and durability. He even said it was the most complex thing he'd ever designed.

George also said at the beginning of the stream that they'd release new code every 2 weeks and wouldn't leave it alone until it was done ... if true, brilliant, but who actually believes that? Notable that he said that whilst Lyman had exited briefly.

Number of musical themes are fairly small in number ... the constant NANANANANANA Batman refrain will probably get old really quickly.

At the moment, BMtDK looks way more fun than this does .... not much evidence of flow or objective based modes.

#520 7 years ago
Quoted from hool10:

You do realize this is running on a prototype machine with very early code right? Not everything shown will be final.

If they were intending to wholly change the art and animations on the LCD and make the mini TV properly interactive, you'd have thought they'd be very keen to stress that.

Also, people said the patently lacking DMD stuff on WWE, Kiss and GoT were just early code on release, and they'd be improved to AC/DC / ST / Met / TWD level. Were they? Release was almost how they've stayed.

Would love to be wrong. But given recent history, I'd say optimism is unlikely to be rewarded.

#530 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

lol, you need to swallow a happy pill dood. just about everything you say I disagree with!

You can like something that I don't like, but how can you disagree with objective rather than subjective things like almost total lack of animation. Have you actually been watching? I guess perhaps some people will prefer that but I can't see it comparing well to JJP machines when sat next to a WOZ, Hobbit or DI - and this equals or exceeds JJP pricing.

Also, come on ... that rotating island after the GB / GoT debacles and QC generally. It has to be a major question mark.

#531 7 years ago
Quoted from hool10:

Eh I sorta like the static image elements on the LCD. Reminds me of the comics. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. Looks good, plays good. *shrugs* Wouldn't want to pay that price however.

I'm not looking for 100s of man hours into even the tiniest of elements ... but just some signs of life and subtle details.

Quoted from hool10:

You do realize this is running on a prototype machine with very early code right? Not everything shown will be final.

You know that the first machines were received by paying customers pre-Xmas ...

#544 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I saw LOADS of animation - capturing the villains, scoring, lighting targets and other stuff - as much if not more than WOZ and tons more than Hobbit!

Neil

You're hallucinating.

Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Yes but at the start they clearly said that they were running alpha code on a proto machine!

Wrong. They said it was a prototype playfield. They didn't say anything else was proto. Also, beta code.

#547 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Uhhh..no. Been watching for 2 hours now

Let me know how many frames of animation you see on the pop-ups

1 week later
#980 7 years ago

Pretty much all newer Sterns suffer horribly from dimpling, it's not something that's just started to occur since they switched from Churchill as sole supplier.

My ST Premium is heavily dimpled, AC/DC to a slightly lesser extent. All examples of these or other same era games are the same, that I've seen.

In contrast, none of my BW or DE games are dimpled. Nor are my Mirco playfields (Funhouse repro and WOZ). The B&T Automaten BoP repros that I've seen have not been dimpled either.

#982 7 years ago

I'm sure it is worse. The wood on the 'Fun' pfs is softer still than the Churchill ones, and no doubt the clearing process less thorough, too.

In partially going back to Churchill, they've probably asked for a cheaper product than they were using before the schism ... so ... no end in sight, I suspect.

#1032 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The only new playfield manufacturer was Fun, which made the shitty SMVE & Ghostbusters playfields with the ghosting inserts...they had nothing to do with ST or TWD. The horrible STLE I saw was one of the first off the line...I forget what number mine was, but it was pretty early. One bad playfield, one decent playfield. I've played a ton of TWD's...most looked like they had good playfields, but just telling you - the one I saw the other day was horrid. Please stop trying to come up with excuses for why dimples occur. I've seen THE SAME GAMES sometimes look good, sometimes look horrible. It's a crapshoot! If a game is turning LUMPY...that will never smooth out. Never.

You might have a shitty Fun playfield.

The last run of STs were definitely not Churchill ... the ones where some had washed out colours and alignment errors. They lacked the Churchill stamps.

I suspect it will be a major bind for those owners to get replacements ...

1 week later
#1461 7 years ago
Quoted from Texasff78:

Anyone else have the clear starting to chip a little in their shooter lane? Could be dumb luck but the software update seemed to lessen the flyers somewhat. I have noticed the ball getting caught in the left orbit on the wire/zip tie that is on the ramp. After another week there are a ton of dimples. As others have mentioned the gloss definitely brings them out. I recently purchased a BDK from another Pinsider and there are nowhere near the amount of deep marks on that game. Plays completely different and has a lot less flyers than 66.
I finally made contact with Stern and they were receptive and seem willing to work with me on a solution. I am sending more photos and speaking with them again this week.

The coarseness of the sapwood in that shooter lane, and the dimpling ....

Jesus christ.

It hasn't improved since SM VE / GB / last year's debacle, it's gotten worse!

If these are Churchill (I have my doubts), then Stern apparently did what I feared ... they wanted a similarly cheap product to the alternate supplier.

This is dreadful.

#1462 7 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Pretty annoyed here. I've never had this many issues with any Stern I have bought and I have bought a lot. Not sure how mine passed what ever QC there is. My perm has these issues
ALL inserts are raised with a tiny ledge. I've had games like this before but ledges had clear over them and was smooth to the touch.
One insert edge has a blemish on it already
LCD has a dead pixel right in the top middle
Solder splashed on back panel plastic from factory
Playing card on apron is creased/bent and not signed. I swear I read somewhere they had Adam West sign 500 cards and some prems would get them. Not sure why the card is even on the prems if not signed.
Magnet core, ramps and ramps return all needed adjusted. Have not taken batmobile apart yet to secure that yet
Most left ramp shots go flying off into the saucer and the plastic guard wobbles like a bobble head.
This is not a issue, but the lock down bar has stickers on it. Fucking stickers on this "epic 30th anniv, special' game. My st pro has metal riveted around the launch button. STICKERS. On a commercial game on the most used, touched area. This is a joke
I do like the theme music and joker music.

Whilst I suspect these issues are symptomatic of a wider malaise, it sounds like you have a real lemon.

I'd request a return and refund. Then if - big if - they sort themselves down the line, pick one up later.

Quoted from J85M:

I'm dreading the arrival of my LE, Sterns overall quality has hit rock bottom, what the hell is going on, I have always had solid products from Stern and suddenly it's gone to rat shit on every aspect of the line, doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Just cancel. You've seen and read all the reports about the state of the game. It makes absolutely no sense to retain the order. Even if you want an LE and none are available in 6-9 months, you know perfectly well this game is never going to hold value.

#1468 7 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Some BM66le owners I know personally are having no pf issues. Maybe its a random issue with some play-fields?
I know about mine on WED.

I think this is far past the point of random issues. It's been a pattern since the first SM VEs went out, nearly a year ago.

But that dimpling ... I'd call it cratering. Some of them are huge, and the biggest ones look like the clear may have actually fractured.

Quoted from J85M:

Funny enough reading through the threads again and before you posted this, I took time out to watch "don't breathe" pretty good little horror film, I had already settled on cancelling and requesting money back, so will be getting on this first thing in the morning.

It's a much more prudent decision, I think.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 39.00
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 26.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
11,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
Shooter rods
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
Armor and blades
19,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mead, WA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rubberducks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-whats-your-impression?tu=rubberducks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.