IMG_2979 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0142 (resized).JPG
heavenly-bm66 (resized).jpg
laser-beam-sharks (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #574 YouTube of the dead flip stream of Batman 66 Posted by DeadFlip (7 years ago)

Post #844 Photos of episode 81 game Posted by RocketPin (7 years ago)

Post #862 Photos of the backbox boards Posted by MK6PIN (7 years ago)

Post #910 Photos of gadget #38 Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #914 PHotos of gadget #91 Posted by taz (7 years ago)

Post #918 Photos of episode 83 Posted by doomid (7 years ago)

Post #1285 Batman Code update released and readme Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Post #1357 Photos of a pinsider's playfield with chipping and dimples Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #1503 Great photos of game episode #66 Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Use your own judgment , but I'll be dambed if I can't state my mine

Kudos for spelling "judgment" correctly.

"Dambed?" Not so much.

#56 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Judgment/Judgement can be spelled either way:
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/judgment
"Did You Know?
Judgment can also be spelled "judgement," and usage experts have long disagreed over which spelling is the preferred one. Henry Fowler asserted, "The OED [Oxford English Dictionary] prefers the older and more reasonable spelling. 'Judgement' is therefore here recommended." William Safire held an opposite opinion, writing, "My judgment is that Fowler is not to be followed." "Judgement" is in fact the older spelling, but it dropped from favor and for centuries "judgment" was the only spelling to appear in dictionaries. That changed when the OED (Fowler's source) was published showing "judgement" as an equal variant. Today, "judgment" is more popular in the U.S., whereas both spellings make a good showing in Britain."
Another word that has two spellings is "canceled" or "cancelled".

I'm aware of the supposed acceptance of spelling judgment a different way, and I reject it.

Did you know that "subpoena" can now also now be spelled "subpena?" I reject that "accepted" spelling too.

#315 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

perfectly said and happy to see it here finally. I wondered when some of them were going to wake up and happy that they are. I only see good things as more people continue to wake up.

You haven't seen proof of it, and that's the *only* thing that matters.

Proof is in the pudding. By proof I mean that actual sales numbers of Stern pins goes down fairly significantly (that's what it would take to have any real impact). People bitching on a forum saying that they are done buying NIB pins from Stern is meaningless if Stern continues selling nearly the same number of pins.

Having said that, I completely agree with Greg about knowing a lot of people who normally buy NIB pins saying that they are "done" and they appear to be more resolute in their declaration of no more NIB this time around.

Still...if Stern reveals another pin that generates the kind of excitement that something like MET did when it was first released, I have a feeling that the vast majority of those "no more NIB Sterns for me" crowd will recant. It wouldn't be the first time, and won't be the last.

#340 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

all the 'proof' I need...
When all the guys I know are saying NO and appear to mean it, then that is pretty good for me.

Well, thats like saying "all the people that I know are voting for Clinton, even my Republican friends won't vote for Trump, and that's all the proof that I need that she is going to win the election." We all know how that turned out.

Anecdotal evidence is of very little value under almost any circumstance.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Well that's the thing - if they can remain in business selling a handful of games to the mega wealthy hoarders who buy everything because "it's collectible" (let's face it....these are the types who stare at the shiny pretty and don't actually play) ...then ok, that's their business plan and it works....but is it worth losing their most passionate customers and players who love THE GAME and not the dick measuring? Maybe it is. Maybe we don't matter.

No, I don't believe that Stern can survive long term by selling a "handful of games" to the "mega wealthy hoarders." No evidence to support that they could, or would want to. They are a manufacturing company, who just moved into a larger facility. They are not a boutique company that has any desire to sell just a small number of pins.

Where does this "mega wealthy" thing come from? It's like people are so hyper pissed about the fact that Stern had the audacity to offer a super limited edition of a pin for a high price at $15k, that they assume that this is what every single pin that they are going to sell going forward will cost.

Most people here are of the opinion that the BM66 model is *not* going to be the pricing model for the rest of their lineup going forward. BM66 is a different animal.

When pricing is released for their next pin (Aerosmith?) we will get a better idea of how much more money Stern will be charging for their normal titles, including the pro model. Whatever the price is, I'm pretty sure that you won't need to be "mega wealthy" to buy it.

#342 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Either way it's a stupid price hike for the sake of covering their ass on all the piles of PF's they now have sitting in the back of the shop.
Why they need to force said hike on old distro stock is beyond me.
Nobody I know will pay more for WWE or KISS NIB's let alone a 2009 clearance price for them.

I forgot about that stupid price hike applying to old/sitting distributor stock. That's a crock for sure.

I guess they think that if the oil companies can get away with it so can they.

#391 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Gah, I don't like pinball's move to LCD. Cheap clip shows suck. We're literally losing a major part of a game's art package, and everybody is excited for it. Super lame. I don't much like it on JJP's games, and I really don't like it here. I really hope that some custom animation is in the works, because even in these short videos you see the same clips recycle over and over. Dots >>>>>>>> video. At least we'll never have to see video translated into dots anymore.

I used to make posts when WOZ was being released talking about how I would miss the creativity that goes into making great dots when all the manufacturers go to LCD. I was always in a minority and even accused of just being an obvious Stern defender and JJP basher for saying it.

I really do enjoy the big LCD screen on my Hobbit. But as much as I do enjoy it (the clips they use are actually very good), I will *still* miss the creativity that goes into making great dots. This was actually an area that was *not* a lost art form on a lot of newer Sterns, as the dots on pins like TWD are excellent.

And even though I think Hobbit integrates the LCD very well, they had some great looking HD material to choose from. Eye candy. Well, that's obviously not going to be the case in all pins going forward with the LCD. What kind of HD material will Stern have to choose from when it comes to Aerosmith for example? Pins like Star Wars and Alien will have great material to choose from though.

So I definitely have mixed feelings on the LCD. It can be pretty damn cool for sure, and it gives a more modern twist to pinball (something many people apparently really want), but great dots will always be something that I have great appreciation for.

#482 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Your posts are always unbiased, enlightening and overwhelmingly positive. Often after reading them, I have a much more positive and optimistic outlook on the entire pinball hobby.
Happy New Year!

Your post is a bit ironic considering that he has actually been one of the more optimistic and positive posters in this thread, which mostly consists of non-stop bashing of all things Stern.

#511 7 years ago

Stern's FB page has a video of Lyman playing BM66.

...and Dead Flip on Twitch is live...

#550 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

What's even more ironic is I'm not a Stern hater,

How many Stern pins have you owned?

That's what I thought.....

#555 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

What's it matter to you Rob? I've got several favorites but haven't kept one yet. There's an Iron Man sitting in my game room right now. Here's another post for you to down vote for no reason other than because you have an vendetta against me for expecting more out of Stern.

You were the one who dished out the personal attack on me for giving you a freaking thumbs down. Sensitive much?

whiny (resized).jpgwhiny (resized).jpg

#557 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

[edited by moderator]

Stay classy.

#572 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

You don't understand why Rob gets sick of you that's funny try this on for size

You know what the best part is?

He says:

Quoted from sevenrites:

Here's another post for you and Iceman to down vote for no reason other than because you have an vendetta against me for expecting more out of Stern. I'm sure you both get plenty of excitement out of that judging by how ferociously you've both attacked my posts recently. How cute.

I ferociously attacked his posts recently?

I never responded to, or quoted, a single one of his posts (until after he made a personal attack on me for a downvote)!

I had the audacity to give one of his posts a thumbs down, so he went back and edited it, and talked about me giving a reach around and a thumbs down. So I guess a thumbs down = ferociously attacking his posts.

#618 7 years ago

I'm just glad that now we've seen the video stream by Dead Flip that the discussion has finally moved past the issue of price.

Oh. Wait..

#622 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That's why we have JJP, the pillars of truth, honesty and beyond reproach business practices.

#624 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I love my 100 % Stern lineup. But I refuse to pay stupid money for a semi rehashed game with unfinished code.
I could go buy a ST pro, Tron , and Met pro for about the same price

Thanks for clarifying that.

We weren't sure how you felt about the price until you made this post.

Thanks again.

#710 7 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Yet by the looks of the game play video BM66 looks to shoot better then both TWD and GB. Put that with Lyman on code and the potential is there for a very good game. And no I don't have one on order so no cheerleading going on here.

Yep definitely looks to shoot better than either of those pins. Lyman took an average shooting pin in TWD and still made it great, so there may be more potential for BM66.

#712 7 years ago

In Lyman We Trust.

#756 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Freak:

Lyman completed Metallica on his own time.....

You can go back to Tron for a pin he finished on his own time.

#798 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Has anyone successfully replaced any transistors in these yet or do they take out the surface mount ICs

I think it would be rare for someone to have done this since:

Quoted from docquest:

Is Stern pretty good about sending you a replacement node board when they fail?
The few times I needed to call Stern for service they sent me replacement stuff right away (Tron lenticular translight defect, star trek trough opto board) without any hassle.

Yes, Stern has replaced the bad node boards when they go bad.

#801 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Rob...... Im also thinking about this from an operator stand point. Not that the company I work for has any modern pins.
But Im wondering is if they could be repaired or is it a 200 plus dollar fix every time one goes bad ?

Valid question of course, wasn't thinking of it from an OP standpoint. It seems that Stern has been replacing these when they go bad, but obviously they won't be guaranteed forever.

#950 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I don't know. You can see the similar dimples in the magnet core as well.

Quoted from Cserold:

Exactly. Makes me think it's the clear being dimpled. That magnet is coated, right?

I thought Vid always told us that it was the wood underneath the clear that is what caused the dimpling?

I've never been too sure of that myself.

Then again, that magnet core being clear coated doesn't make sense. It wouldn't be there when they clear the PF.

Those pictures remind me of the dimpling that I had on my X-Men LE. I remember marveling at how incredible that PF looked when it was brand new. The clear coat seemed particularly wet, deep, and thick. After I started playing it, the dimples were more obvious than any pin that I had before or since.

#1025 7 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I have had two NIB games in my life:
- XMLE - big craters.

Exactly Tom.

To this day, my XMLE is the worst pin in terms of dimpling that I've owned yet. And obviously XMLE was released several years ago, so it's not like it's only the new pins that have the issue.

My GOT Premium had some dimpling, but not too bad compared to XMLE.

#1218 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

The last two games, GOT and GB, shipped with finished code. Are there some tweaks some players want? Sure, but the code is finished. Not like it's .60 or something.... oh wait.

GOT was not quite finished when shipped but it was very soon after, and from what I understand of GB it appears to be in that same category.

Mustang is another example of a pin that had finished code very soon after shipping.

Like you said, all of these could still have used some more tweaking for sure, but nothing of significance was missing.

The funny thing is that Lyman coded pins are the ones that take the longest time to complete code wise. Worth the wait vs going with one of the other coders? Probably!

#1222 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...and currently doesn't exist and won't be shipping any time soon.

Go say that in the Alien thread like I did and wait for the thumbs downs to fly!

#1225 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It was brought up in a Batman thread so I'm saying in a Batman thread. Not gonna go over there and poke the bear too much...it's up to the people who've spent money on the game to push for the truth.

I hear ya! I just wish that there was a little more acceptance of more critical discussion/questioning/suspicion than there is in that (and similar) threads involving pre-orders.

#1274 7 years ago

You like dimples?

#1438 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

You are so wrong brother.. so wrong... and to bet against someone trying to make find resolution for so many people who have been sold defective products is just not cool.

He's not doing that.

In fact, Iceman signed your petition. In fact, Iceman said that you *will* get a resolution from Stern. In fact, he *never* bet against that happening.

I hope that pointing out those facts doesn't result in people claiming that I'm a "Stern apologist" as seems to be the popular thing on Pinside lately, but it is what it is.

#1502 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

My TWDLE built in Nov '14 has little dimples all over the magnet cores. I don't think it's a big deal.

Both of my TWD magnet cores have those dimples as well.

And guess what? So does my Iron Man, which is an original HUO IM, not a VE.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 8.00
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-whats-your-impression?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.