IMG_2979 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0142 (resized).JPG
heavenly-bm66 (resized).jpg
laser-beam-sharks (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #574 YouTube of the dead flip stream of Batman 66 Posted by DeadFlip (7 years ago)

Post #844 Photos of episode 81 game Posted by RocketPin (7 years ago)

Post #862 Photos of the backbox boards Posted by MK6PIN (7 years ago)

Post #910 Photos of gadget #38 Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #914 PHotos of gadget #91 Posted by taz (7 years ago)

Post #918 Photos of episode 83 Posted by doomid (7 years ago)

Post #1285 Batman Code update released and readme Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Post #1357 Photos of a pinsider's playfield with chipping and dimples Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #1503 Great photos of game episode #66 Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manimal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1334 7 years ago
2 weeks later
#1542 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'd say that's an accurate description other than the dimples that you are talking about. I didn't know it either but according to the experienced guys on here they are completely normal. I wouldn't have believed it but after reading and getting educated on the subject and watching how the dimpling is doing on my new machines, I believe them. A+ on the art and the theme but D's and F's on everything else, especially marketing, code, and the obvious lack of testing on the game before it shipped. Hopefully with code updates my mind will change eventually, but for the ridiculous price people deserved much much more.

I have some older games and some newer ones (BM66, GBLE). They all dimple, but I do think there is a bit of a difference in how it shows up. If you look at the artwork on the older games, they usually used darker colors and/or a very busy playfield (yes, there are exceptions, and there is no need to point them out to me). Newer games are using brighter colors, and a more polished surface, which makes the dimples stand out. Now before everyone tells me I am smoking something illegal, take a look at your own pins. Sit 2 of them side-by-side and look for the dimples under normal lighting and you will see there are dimples on all of the playfields, however some games are more noticeable than others. The dimples on my BM66 show up more pronounced than my other pins, even though there are less dimples per square inch. Even putting the BM66 and GBLE side by side is a big difference. The GB has a lot more dimples, but they don't show unless you shine a spot light on the field and look for them. Now add in all of the "concern" for defective playfields and how everyone is immediately inspecting everything with a magnifying glass, and you end up with "Dimple Mania".

#1709 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Really? Did you get a bad playfield and get promised half a year ago it would be replaced, then get completely ignored for the past couple months?
You might not whine, but I refuse to get on my knees for people I pay thousands of dollars to for products I expect to be built with pride and quality. Your cheerleading is much louder than my whining, that's for sure.
Hope you didn't get stretch marks on your lips

Annnnnd that kiddies would be why KPG is at the end of the line! lol

#1789 7 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Its an impression thread and as such we give our impressions, my impression is that the game sucks. But maybe some of the people who bought it would not know that because it was delivered not working

And my impression is the game is already a lot of fun and will be even better with more code. I bought mine knowing the code was bare-bones, and I am OK with that since I knew it going in. It's my money, and what I do with it really isn't anyone's concern except maybe my wife...lol. I have no issues with stuck balls, cratering, etc. The one and only problem I had was a ramp issue that I was able to fix with a small rubber pad. Outside of that....I love the pin and am playing the hell out of it.

#1944 7 years ago

Actually, I would look at the table if you have that problem. Mine doesn't jerk or stop in the middle at all. It rotates for the shots and multiball etc, and I have never noticed an issue.

#1971 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I dont doubt it that their testing is 5 games or less... just like the metal rail bending issue on the captive ball area on GB bending after 50 games or so. They had to release a fix later on.. had they tested it properly, then they would have caught that. Stern believes in rushing out as much crap as possible with a popular theme on it, and selling it to people with too much money to burn. Once people realize what a piece of crap that game is, they announce the next big licensed theme.. rinse and repeat.
I was one of those guys I admit.. no more.

And yet I drive by there almost every day and there are no folks outside with pitchforks, or lined up trying to return machines. They have a 2 month backlog, and games keep flowing out the door. These can't all be going to new buyers, so either the problems are not as bad as we all would like to believe, OR, deep down, folks know Stern will stand behind the product and they take the chance, deal with the issues and move on with life. I am not defending or condemning anyone here, I am merely saying if things were as bad as what is posted here on Pinside, they would never sell to a repeat customer. And yes, I know they are the only major player in the market, but we are also talking about very expensive toys that we can all live without. And then again, maybe I just don't understand the business model, but they still have folks lining up to buy the next pin (even at 10K or 15K) , so they have to be doing something right.

#1974 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Dude just because they are backlogged doesnt mean anything. They could easily be backlogged because of the playfield problem and other supplier issues. If there were only 50 orders for pins that month, and they only had parts to make 10 of them, then a backlog would happen. You are only speculating on the reason they are backlogged. With all the quality issues they are having they should be backlogged, because clearly at their normal production speed they are only shipping well-packed turds in large brown boxes.
If people could easily pack up a pinball and return it like you could at Costco and Target you better believe they would have a line of returns.

Maybe so, but if that were the case, I doubt I would see a parking lot full of cars like I do. Maybe those are the folks returning pins? lol I did hear them say on the CBS story that half of the production goes overseas. If you think it is tough for us to return something, just think about them...........

#1978 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

If you gauge the success of a company based on the amount of cars in the parking lot, then I dont know what to tell you. What I can tell you is that Sears has a full parking lot.. of employees... and you can look at their financial information that's made publicly available to see a better picture of what is actually going on. GoPro's corporate headquarters are also packed with cars... go look at their recent financial performance.
Trust me, don't get into investing into companies... especially if you base company performance on parking lots and the amount of "people with pitchforks" outside

Oh for gods sake you know what I mean and you are just looking for an argument so you can keep beating the same drum over and over. I wasn't considering investing based on cars, I was simply making an observation that there are a lot of employees obviously showing up for work, which would not be happening if they weren't producing games.......or I guess there is always the possibility Gary is running a used car lot on the side. I can tell you I drive past some of the Sears offices every week, and I see a lot more empty than full parking spaces, so there is that observation as well. I don't know if the backlog is due to incoming orders or if they are waiting on supplies, and neither do you, but you cannot just let anyone express their own thoughts about Stern without trying to stomp them into the dirt. Maybe the videos of the production lines are staged just for your benefit too, so Gary can claim he is too busy to get to your playfield? You just can't stand it that maybe the sky isn't falling, and maybe Stern is taking care of their customers....and maybe, just maybe, you pissed off the guy that was going to fix yours. As I said before, I am not defending anyone......I am just saying they can't be pissing EVEERYONE off, or they would be out of business fast. In the one case I had of a defective product, they made it right and went above and beyond to not only give me a new playfield, but all new parts as well. Yes, it should never have happened, and yes, it took a few months, but who the heck cares....not me. I got a new game after 6 months of play. And for a guy so "done" with Stern, you sure spend a lot of time trolling their threads.

#1982 7 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

He's done buying NIB Stern products. Doesn't mean he's done sharing his unsatisfactory experiences with Stern so others may learn from them.

I have absolutely no issue with that...just state your opinion and move on. What I am disagreeing with is the constant attack on anyone who disagrees or says anything he feels is not enough fire and brimstone.

#1984 7 years ago
Quoted from paulywalnuts23:

No the sky isn't falling, but there are apparent issues that need to be addressed. Regardless if Gary is pissed or not he needs to make it right otherwise he is only doing himself and his business harm. There is no time for personal feelings when someone buys something for good money and it is defective. Make it right and move on. Adjust business procedures and move forward. Sure KPG is pissed but I would be too if it were my 8K.

Agreed. I'm sure they will make it right in time, they pretty much have to.

#1988 7 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

From what it sounds like, Stern should just give him a new game as the whole thing is a cluster fuck POS.

From what he was told, there was a buy-back in the works. As KPG said a few pages back, I am pretty sure this has more to do with his distributor than Stern. I can tell you my Distro went above and beyond to make sure we were taken care of, and other than the time it took, I have no complaints. Maybe the distributor lied about the buy-back, or maybe someone got pissed and pushed his to the back of the line....none of us will probably ever know. Gary is on record saying they will fix these, so it pretty much has to happen.. "when" is the question.

#1989 7 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Can we keep the kpg discussion out of the Batman thread?

I am going to petition Stern to see if they will add KPG as one of the "minor villains" and code him deep into the game, so if you beat him, you get a new game.......lol (Lightening things up)

#1995 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

No one has said Stern is pissing "everyone" off. There's hundreds of pissed off customers though. How many people are actually buying pinball machines? The petition has almost 130 pissed off customer signatures now. That's a lot of people and potential pinball sales.
Speaking of beating a drum over and over- you are guilty of that as well, cheering on Stern repeatedly anytime someone has an opposing view or bad experience. Just because you haven't had a bad experience, doesn't mean other people haven't.
I think your arguments and ways of justifying everything is "fine" at Stern is just straight up weird. Who cares about how many cars are in their parking lot. What does that have to do with shipping defective products then lying about fixing, replacing, and buying them back?
Look at how many quality issues are happening w/ BM66.. playfield issues, poor design, full on machines not working out of the box, defective parts, assembly issues, extreme dimpling, etc. It's crazy that this is happening with products that sell for this much $$ and people like yourself come on here and defend such a company. I guess next time someone has a problem w/ their NIB Stern pinball machine, i'll just quote you and let them know everything is fine because their parking lot is full.. LOL

I never said cars in a parking lot equated to everything being A-OK at Stern. I said that as a response to your comment about the game backlog possibly being a result of waiting on suppliers. It stands to reason they would not pay people to show up to work if they had nothing to do. Not too many companies I know can do that for very long. That is all I said, and all I meant...nothing more, nothing less. I don't work at Stern, I don't go there, so I knowing nothing about what happens inside. For all I know, the place could be a burned out shell.

I wasn't arguing any of your points and I never told you how wrong you are. In fact, I have agreed with you on a lot of the base reasons why you are angry. I just don't agree on the method for resolution, but that is your path to take, not mine. You let everyone know your bad experience, and I let everyone know my good experience, and there is no need to go over either any more.

To avoid the complaints, how about I actually address the thread we are in...

Other than a couple of bolts coming lose in transit, and putting a rubber spacer under the wire form on my BM66, I have had zero issues with it and am very happy with the hardware. I love the artwork, and this pin sits next to my WOZ so I get to see both displays side by side. I must say, I have grown to like the smaller display better. I try to concentrate on the shots anyway, and although the JJP has beautiful video, there is often more going on there than I can concentrate on. The smaller display with the video clips is just about right for a quick glance. The left orbit of my BM66 was a 'rattler" early on. I don't know if I am getting better at the shot, or just wearing it in, but the rattling happens very seldom anymore. I don't have any issues with balls sticking behind the turn table, game is at 7 degrees. The code is the obvious letdown at this point, but I see hints of some real fun in the future. I just hope sufficient time is allowed for the code to mature give all of the potential. Things I don't like......the red in the topper is not red. Easy to fix and I am being picky, but for a retired cop, I want real red for my lights. I also think the left orbit is actually too easy, as well as the saucer hole next to the crane. I hit that left orbit over and over, and just about every ball drops into that saucer hole. I can see it becoming a point of wear. I don't mind the phone or the TV, but I do think the batmobile spinner looks cheap, and I bet those posts are the first part to snap. Good thing it looks easy and cheap to replace. The ramps are OK, I really have no issue with them and since adding the rubber pad, I haven't had one fly-off. I never played a BDK, so I didn't now if I would like the crane, but it is probably my favorite feature....I just wish it were implemented more. Hopefully the code will bring it into other modes. Overall, I am happy with the game, but I will admit, it did not have enough additional features to justify the additional cost, so my bet is the price on these will drop some on the used market. I knew that would be the case going into the purchase, and I am OK with it. I will get my fun out of the game anyway.

1 month later
#2186 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Makes sense, those who are financially invested in the machine love it and claim it's another classic are the ones who praise it.
Those who play it without any bias or financial interest in the machine explain how they really feel. Removing the emotional and financial attachment to the machine is where you read between the lines on this game. It seems everyone who didn't pre order it does not like it, and those who bought it sight unseen think it's the next best thing to sliced bread.
I am truly shocked and surprised!

Or just maybe it is because those that own it actually spend more than 5 seconds playing it and don't spend the rest of the day griping about every aspect when they never got past the 1st villain. This is not limited to BM66...this is pretty much any pin. Yes, the people that own it will me more likely to stick up for it, but I disagree with putting everyone in the same can and saying they are all biased. Maybe they actually DO like playing it........

#2189 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

For the rest of us, it is just a mediocre game and our opinions reflect that. There's no comparison between BM66 and Aerosmith.

Well I guess I will just be ever so thankful that KPG actually rated BM66 Mediocre.....I figured you were going more for dreadful cause I always set my expectations low when I come here.....lol

#2209 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Or there can be what's known as Stockholm Syndrome where a captive (owner) has positive feelings towards their captors (the pinball machine). What I am saying is that the owner spend money on the pin, and so he begins to warm to it over time.

Ok, it's fun to discuss pinball and banter back and forth and all......but did you really just compare a voluntary action like owning a pinball machine to Stockholm Syndrome?

#2235 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Actually I did and I'm not as dumb as you may think, have degrees after my name and all.
Anyway I made that parallel all by myself but just now looked up to see if I was being dumb as I've been known to from time to time. But at least one article relates the same thing I spelled out, read to see if you agree.
http://stansberrychurchouse.com/education/investment-education/how-to-avoid-stockholm-syndrome-when-you-buy/

For the record, I never said you were dumb...never even implied it. I just asked if the comparison is really one you intended to make. As to the text...all that proves is you can find anything on the internet if you look hard enough. We can draw parallels to many things in life and I am certainly not a psychologist, so who knows....but I also have some personal experience with this on a human level, (battered wife staying with her abuser, kids being kidnapped or abused and not alerting anyone, etc) and I think I know what their reaction would be if you put them in a room and tried to compare a pinball purchase with what they went through. I didn't think the comment was dumb near as much as it was insensitive....

And if you look at who the researchers are you cited....well I doubt they are any kind of psychological experts.....lol

Who We Are:

Stansberry Churchouse Research is the a joint venture between two independent financial publishers, Singapore-based Truewealth Publishing, and Hong Kong-based Churchouse Publishing.

Stansberry Churchouse Research is a subsidiary of Stansberry Research, one of the largest independent financial publishing companies in the world, with subscribers in over 50 countries around the world.

#2236 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

As much as buyer may feel like they need to rationalize a particular game purchase, I think non-buyers also need to rationalize why they chose to purchase one game over another or wait for the next release. For example why they chose not to purchase B66, but instead decided to purchase AFMr or to wait for Dialed In.
I am guilty of criticizing both AS and AFMR (which I won't buy), yet defending B66 (which I did). I feel my criticism is justified, yet I'm probably more critical than I would be if I hadn't recently purchased a b66.
I think most pinball collectors are constantly in a state of evaluating their next purchase. It's the addictive nature of this hobby - we're always shopping for our next game. Looking at every new release and deciding whether to go in or wait for the next game. If you decide against a particular title in favor of waiting for the next release I think you are likely more critical of the game in order to justify why you didnt buy it. This is especially so for LE buyers (due to the limited nature and fear of missing out).

I am sure you are right in many respects...some of this is just human nature. I am pretty happy with the BM66, but I will admit I don't care for a couple of the shots on the turntable. I think they could have made that work better, but it doesn't ruin the game for me to the point where I am disappointed every time I play it. I do hope they concentrate on the code around that part of the game at some point....I don't know what they can do to make it better, but I think when things are less disconnected and more integrated, it will be less noticible. But you know, I have the same feelings over different parts of every pin I own. I absolutely hate the munchkin land playfield on my WOZ, but I can play that game for hours.. It pisses me off when I sometimes launch the ball on my GB and the ball smacks the marshmallow man and dribbles back into the playfield....etc. If a designer ever comes up with the 'perfect' layout........he/she will be hailed as a god and we will all stop looking, trading, buying, and selling. Until then.....play what you like

Now I WILL also admit, the one thing that really pisses me off about ALL of the last few pins I have bought is the insane pricing, and BM66 is at the top of that list. I didn't get an SLE, but there is no reason for the pin to cost what it did. The same goes for many other pins as well. Unfortunately this is also pulling the price of the legacy games up to unaffordable levels as well.

#2239 7 years ago
Quoted from rai:

For the record, there really is a thing called post purchase rationalization also known as buyers Stockholm Syndrome.
I didn't make this up, but as far as I know didn't know it was a thing until yesterday. Not just that article but if you google post purchase rationalization or buyers Stockholm Sundrome you will get more than one entry.
I just made my example up just being an armchair psychiatrist. I never said the buyers had actual Stockholm Syndrome. I was making a connection that buyers will fall in love with something because the alternative is remorse or guilt.
It would be like if I said I'm so hungry I could eat a horse. I am not saying that I will actually eat a horse. But it is an expression. People can know that a horse is big and so therefore I must be really hungry.
http://goldwinde.typepad.com/biases_and_effects/post-purchase-rationalization-buyers-stockholm-syndrome.html
I am not trying to be insensitive, this is an Internet forum, if we assume that anything we may say may offend someone then we might as well jsut close shop. Like if a NFL player say something like being owned by a football team is like slavery. It's not it's not don't go crazy. But the point is if an owner wants to ship,a player off to Cleveland or if an owner says to a player you have to wear green socks or else you'll get a punishment. Etc.. It's NOT the same as being a slave but the idea has some connection. I didn't say the player is a slave and it's jsut as bad as actual slavery, but there are some similarities.
If I said I beat that pin like it was a dog, or beat it like a rented mule (whatever) I don't mean that it's ok to beat an animal. It's an expression and conveys a meaning. Some people are too sensitive, I'm not saying you but just that it's the Internet and if you have to have somewhat thick skin, (I shouldnt even say 'some people' because some people might take offense).

Dude, you are too funny....but it's all good. I don't get how the analogies you are trying to make apply because you are saying things like "hungry enough to eat a horse" is not the same as eating a horse, but I specifically asked if you were making the comparison between a buyer rationalizing his decision and someone having Stockholm Syndrome and you said you were....but I do realize this is a forum and I don't think you actually meant any disrespect. I was just saying if you were an actual victim, and you saw that comment come across your screen, you would probably be offended....but as you say, life is full of things that offend us so we deal with it.

But please do a bit of research on the links you use to prove your points..lol....I don't think a blog post by a guy that was a mediocre software consultant who decided to chuck it all and move to Shanghai and become a life coach qualifies for anything. I am sure there is a more qualified reference out there to use, (and I will concede so there is no need to dig one up), but for the love of Pete be careful what you use to prove a point.......lol Here is another one of his posts on that same board:

My paradox with kids...

I really like kids (and I am a kid at heart).

I would venture to say that I like kids better than 99% of adults do.

And I don't want to have my own kids.

I much prefer to enjoy other people's kids in doses that are optimal for me.

I have no desire to propagate my particular genes.

-Dwight GoldWinde

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Altoona, PA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manimal.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-whats-your-impression?tu=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.