IMG_2979 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0142 (resized).JPG
heavenly-bm66 (resized).jpg
laser-beam-sharks (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #574 YouTube of the dead flip stream of Batman 66 Posted by DeadFlip (7 years ago)

Post #844 Photos of episode 81 game Posted by RocketPin (7 years ago)

Post #862 Photos of the backbox boards Posted by MK6PIN (7 years ago)

Post #910 Photos of gadget #38 Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #914 PHotos of gadget #91 Posted by taz (7 years ago)

Post #918 Photos of episode 83 Posted by doomid (7 years ago)

Post #1285 Batman Code update released and readme Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Post #1357 Photos of a pinsider's playfield with chipping and dimples Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #1503 Great photos of game episode #66 Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#863 7 years ago

For those with an LE - what's the side art on the backbox? Batgirl or Robin?

#872 7 years ago
Quoted from bkfiv:

Sounds like a lot are getting Batgirl. I've got a Premium on order and I was assuming Premiums had Batgirl. I wonder if the LE's getting her means we won't. I hope not.

I played a Premium yesterday that had just been unboxed at Colorado Game Exchange. It had Batman and Robin on the batbox instead of Batgirl as shown on the flyer. The Premiums are supposed to have Batgirl, the LEs Batman and Robin.

#899 7 years ago

My dealer asked Stern specifically - the backbox on the LE is supposed to have Batman and Robin, not Batgirl. The response did not specifically mention the Premium.

My LE will be here Tuesday. I'm hoping the factory screwed up my backbox (!) as I really want the Batgirl art ...

#1072 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

The game is pretty damn cool, yawl. I'm not convinced that it's $12k worth of cool

Those that just paid $15k probably sure don't think it's only $12k worth of cool ...

#1085 7 years ago

Well, I hope Batgirl on the LEs and B/R on the Premiums is correct.

I'm hopeful based on the pictures of LEs so far showing Batgirl and the Premium I saw this week with Batman and Robin on the backbox.

#1096 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Just wanted to put this in here as well as the official thread, looking to get a replacement gadget selector bat symbol made, ideally laser cut like the ones seen on ST, TWD, GOT etc.
Firstly any bat symbol could be used but I went with the one off the 66 Batmobile and my reasons for that where:
It was the only 66 symbol online in red
But the real reason I chose it was because I plan to pin stripe my LE armour like the SLE armour & with the topper combined they represent the Batmobile, especially with the SLE cabs having the Batmobile side art it just seemed like a great all round fit plus it allows for the text to be nicely incorporated in the middle between the wing tips or within the symbol, as I find the Bat Gadget decal placed to one side looking a little awkward.

Great idea. The top one with the lettering underneath is the closest to the labeling style used on the show.

#1145 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

It's still pretty clear on the premium flyer....

Except that apparently the flyers are wrong. Batman and Robin are on the Premiums (so far), Batgirl on the LEs

#1180 7 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Has anyone asked Stern about the decal switch? Is it intentional or a mistake?

I emailed my dealer and asked if the LE had Batgirl on both the translite and the backbox. The response: "Only on Backglass not on side decal. Just confirmed with Stern. Flyer is a mistake."

Now, that statement is a bit confusing because the question was prompted after seeing a Premium in the showroom with Batman and Robin on the sides and not Batgirl, while the flyer shows Batgirl on the sides.

I suspect Stern's comment that the flyer is a mistake refers to both the Premium and LE flyers, which would be the case if the backbox side art was swapped. If so, I'm happy about the change as I wanted the Batgirl art on the LE, but I'm sure many are upset that the actual art doesn't match what's depicted on the flyers. I'm guessing the parts department may process more orders for replacement side art then on a typical game.

If Batman and Robin is the correct Premium configuration, it should be easier for those with an LE to get their art to match the flyers than those with a Premium that want the Batgirl art.

#1182 7 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

I'm glad the LE buyers who paid more money than the PRE owners are happy that Batgirl is on the backbox. But as a PRE buyer who based part of my decision on what machine to purchase based on the art package I'm f**kin pissed off!!! I thought I was getting Batgirl. It's overkill on the PRE with B and R on every goddamn decal. I'm getting real sick of Stern's s**t!! When if ever will they get their s**t together?

It is a pretty big miss by Stern.

The Batgirl art was a deciding factor for me. If I was certain it was going to be on the Premium and not the LE I may have waited and just gotten a Premium later in the year. But I would have had to give up having an LE in hand.

I hope the dealers and Stern will work with Premium and LE buyers so everyone can end up with the backbox art they want, even if it's just providing replacement stickers.

#1200 7 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Guys really is it THAT big a deal if Batgirl is not on your backbox decals? I can almost guarantee, for people with larger collections, if they were asked to name what is on the backbox decals of their games they wouldn't even be able to tell you without looking. I sure couldn't tell you what the hell is on most of mine, they get put between other games and never seen again. If that is anyone's deciding factor on buying a game you are spending $8K-$10K on some pretty expensive stickers, there is a pinball in between these amazing stickers.

This is pinball. We don't have to be rational.

I can't tell you what's on the backbox sides of most of my games either, but I will know what's on the side of my Batman and if it's not what I want or was expecting, I will be disappointed.

Stern has upped the game with the new pricing model. I'm going to be more forgiving if I pay $5k for a machine than when I pay double (or in the case of the SLE, triple) that. Some of the problems being found on the SLEs are mind boggling given the absurd premium pricing.

If Stern waits to address customer sat issues until they think the noise level is loud enough, they will find that it may be too late to win those who were or feel burned back. The collector portion of the market is finicky and demanding in a different way than operators ever were. Stern is now dependent on collectors whether they want to admit it or not. The acquisition cost of a new collector prepared to buy a new machine is extremely high compared to most products. If a pinsider reads about something bad that impacted another's purchase, they feel bad and commiserate. But they think "that won't happen to me". If it does, it's a whole different mindset.

#1201 7 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

YES!
Not only is she a smart, sexy, Librarian, she kicks ass as well!
Was literally the reason I was getting a premium in the first place!
*shakes library card clinched fist*

I suspect the two librarians in my family agree.

#1204 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Even more mindboggling is anyone spending $10k-$15k on a Stern and expecting the quality to be any different than the past.

True, but it's possible that (a) buyer's aren't aware of past problems or (b) have a reasonable expectation that Stern would correct quality issue from game to game (code notwithstanding).

#1214 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

True, I don't expect every buyer to be a hardcore hobbyist....but I think it's safe to say since Batman was marketed toward hardcore hobbyists....many people who bought one knew the drill. They knew the problems with GB playfields as they placed their orders.

Actually, I didn't know about the GB problems until after I committed to a BM66LE, but I've not been following things closely the last year or so. It's fair to say I should have known, but Stern can't afford to piss off the hardcore hobbiests. The one time casual homebuyers aren't going sustain the market.

For me it's simple - if I have any long term issues with BM66 that don't get resolved, I'm not going to buy another Stern game NIB. Period. Burn me once - shame on Stern. Be stupid enough to try again expecting different results - shame on me.

#1216 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What about the unfinished code on the last ton of games? Off your radar?

Other than STLE, yes. Didn't play them enough to care. I was disappointed in ST code until Dwight did his thing. I'd line to see a final cleanup, but don't expect one.

#1246 7 years ago
Quoted from extendo:

Would anyone have a list of all the gadgets from the bat 1966 Tv series available for viewing please ?
I have a list to choose from.
Thanks !

Which ones can you choose from?

#1251 7 years ago
Quoted from extendo:

EP's - 18,16,20,11
Gadgets - 8,9,10,12,13,14,11,22,23,17,19,21
Thank you.

Problem is I'm not sure anyone here knows which numbers Stern assigned to which gadgets. Batmobile is #1. I'm guessing the lower the nummber the "sexier" the gadget, but that's a great list of numbers to choose from. I would just pick your favorite number from that list.

And I would pick a Gadget unless you like the title on one of those episodes. The episode plaque artwork doesn't fit the game well, IMHO.

My choice was "LE or Premium"?

#1255 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Episode 11 = riddler
Episode 16 = joker
Episode 18 = false face
Episode 20 = catwoman

I was hoping to get a Catwoman episode if I got an episode (or "Enter Batgirl!"), but I'm happy I got a gadget.

#1308 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

the ls ramp air ball plastic flutter drove me crazy. jeeze any attention to detail!??

Can you translate this to English please?

#1339 7 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

I picked up an LE. Got to play it for about 3 hours and it died. All the lights started flickering, flippers died and that was it. Two weeks later still dead. Replace node board 8 and Light mechanism above bat mobile. This fell off and damaged Bat mobile. This new batmobile car is coming. Now node board one is dead now. Apparently the cause of all this is a led failed. It is crazy that an LED failure can cause such issues. I am really concerned with the spike system to be honest. My game is on early code. My new code download failed. I think due to the bad node board one. Anyway, I enjoyed the game but the code needs a lot of work. Maybe the new download will help. Hopefully the game gets online this week.

Did Stern have any ideas/explainations on what caused the hardware failures?

#1364 7 years ago
Quoted from Texasff78:

Anyone else have the clear starting to chip a little in their shooter lane? Could be dumb luck but the software update seemed to lessen the flyers somewhat. I have noticed the ball getting caught in the left orbit on the wire/zip tie that is on the ramp. After another week there are a ton of dimples. As others have mentioned the gloss definitely brings them out...

I finally made contact with Stern and they were receptive and seem willing to work with me on a solution. I am sending more photos and speaking with them again this week.

How many games played do these pics represent? Can you provide more detail on what Stern told you?

#1372 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

That is weird. Why on earth are these magnets pitting?
Only explanation is that they are being made with a softer alloy but that would be crazy???

The magnet seems bizarre.

Quoted from Texasff78:

I updated the software and believe that resets the game count. But it is a home use only game that maybe has 75-100 plays on it and many of those games were 1 ball restarts.
No promises from Stern yet but Chas was very helpful and it seemed like they are willing to work with me. It was not the "that sucks be we can't help you" that I was expecting after hearing some of the feedback on the boards.

I hope you get a definitive response from Stern this week. I can't believe a playfield looks like that after a few hundred balls played (if that). I had thought about getting a full playfield protector. I don't like the idea of one, but unless Stern has a better solution, that may be the way to go.

#1390 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Ok, just for the info, I went and reexamined by batman playfield.
I do not see dimpling on mine anything like the other photos. My magnet has a few small dimples in it, but its more the kind you shrug your shoulders about.
I inspected the shooter lane and see no chipping or start of wear.
I post this not to refute the photos, just to offer some data. Just like with Ghostbusters, some people seem to be affected worse than others.

This is good information and we can all hope it's the norm and not the exception. I hope all Batman owners will pay very close attention and report here in the next few months.

#1404 7 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

Same here. All my nib Sterns have been great. The issues started with Ghostbusters. My ghostbusters LE had the scoop short issue. I applied tape and replaced a board and it all the lights work now. No other issues with the game. Some people seem to have a ton of issues.
It seems it's hit or miss but the quality is definitely lacking. The spike system sucks and has not been tested long term. The techs I spoke with do not know how to repair. Calling Stern works best. I am so bummed. The machine is just sitting in my game room and has been turned off the past two weeks. I have a feeling it's going back for a refund.

You have every right to be bummed - you've been impacted by quality issues on back to back games. I hope your distributor and Stern will make it right - whatever that would mean to you. Stern can't possibly want to deal with a bunch of returns from customers dejected by quality issues.

If you decide it's going back for a refund - if you can even get a refund - don't do it quietly. Make sure people know the manufacturing dates, serial number, what the response to your concerns were, etc.

I'll deal with whatever issues surface with my LE, but any thoughts of buying another NIB Stern in 2017 (I had my sights set on two more) are gone until there is clear evidence that (a) impacted buyers are being properly taken care of and (b) there is a statement by Stern on what the root causes of these playfield problems are (insufficient wood hardness/thickness, problem with clear formulation/application, not being cured long enough, etc.) and and a plan on how it's going to be addressed.

No one should have to go what calprog and others have been through with GB and Batman (and I presume some other titles). Pinball is supposed to be about having fun, not becoming quality control for the self-proclaimed leading pinball manufacturer.

I may be naive, but I believe Stern will do the right thing. Whether they do it in time to stop the damage to their brand and business is something else entirely.

1 week later
#1530 7 years ago
Quoted from Hasi:

which version has the red wire ramp and which has the blue one?

LE = Red
SLE = Blue
Premium = Chrome

#1532 7 years ago
Quoted from Hasi:

thx, i prefer the blue one. :p

I'm sure you can get the ramp powder coated for a lot less then the $7k difference between a Premium and SLE.

3 weeks later
#1987 7 years ago

Can we keep the kpg discussion out of the Batman thread?

#1999 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Just be glad you got lucky w/ your BM66 .. not so many purchasers as of late have shared that luck.

Enough. There are already a number of threads where your (valid) issues are discussed. If you have any defect issues regarding a Batman 66 games, by all means post here. Otherwise, post elsewhere please.

#2018 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Put me on ignore if you have an issue. I see you complaining a lot about my posts, that's why the forum software has such a feature.

I've commented nicely twice. Pinside does not exist for you to clutter up every thread by standing on your soapbox. Annoying everyone who may agree with or support your issue is really not a great strategy. I'm not going to put you on ignore because I am interested in what you have to say about Stern quality issues and your situation in particular in the appropriate threads.

Pinside also has moderators for a reason and if you continue thread crapping, I'm going to ask them to take appropriate action.

#2033 7 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

I recall you causing quite a bit of coin-mech clutter back in the day

Indeed. But in the thread I started about it or those involving Rick's statements about the game, not in threads about unrelated topics or pins.

#2035 7 years ago

Initial reaction from my daughter and spouse about Batman 66 was quite positive, except for a comment on the super shallow code and the current extreme multipliers. They believe the theme has potential and that it is done well and aren't bothered that the TV Batman isn't "theirs" (other than from Nick at Nite) - they pointed out that the Batman movies really aren't theirs either.

My wife likes the asthetics of the game and the music, but she is not a fan of the show to the extent I am. She does like how it ties together some other elements in our gameroom. She was very annoyed we had to do QC and consider a playfield protector on brand new game (though thought it was a prudent move) and was annoyed about the broken Batmobile.

No one thought the shots were klunky (though we didn't see any ramp/airball/orbit issues during the few games. I have experienced a few of these however). Everyone thought the LCD integration was really well done and that it was fun to watch when others were playing and that the LE art package and topper was a much better choice than the Premium (though two are librarians and Batgirl fans). The crane was a bigger hit than I expected.

But no one was willing to call the game a hit or potential favorite until seeing what happens with the code. The general verdict for now was "pretty, but not exciting"

#2045 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Just talked to a big player in the industry who's been doing pinball for over 20 years and they told me they've never had a game with so many problems for their customers as BM66 has been. Total nightmare for them.

What problems are they seeing? Anything that hasn't already been reported?

#2133 7 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Is the left-ramp plastic guard an add-on or stock on current units? A picture would be great.
Is the plastic guard on all 3 versions?
I've heard the ball can launch off the ramp so this guard interests me.

Yes, all versions have the plastic.

Stern has redesigned it for current production models (longer), though the plastic becomes more noticeable. Some have cut a thicker piece using the existing plastic as a template and have reported that prevents balls from flying off.

1 week later
#2154 7 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

the left ramp on the premium shakes and moves real bad when the ball is in it. It dips down. Needs a brace of some sort.

Stern has redesigned the ramp cover that eliminates the movement.

#2158 7 years ago

See the owners thread.

#2159 7 years ago
Quoted from ngg:

I decided to bail on my LE.....
While I agree that the code was improving, just couldn't get past the "brick" factor on many of the shots

Interesting. Since the initial tweaking, I haven't had a single bricked shot. Moving the left pad on the left ramp inside, relocating the ramp wiring harness and stabilizing the ramp. And increasing the pitch.

Where are your bricked shots ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-whats-your-impression?tu=jfh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.