IMG_2979 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0142 (resized).JPG
heavenly-bm66 (resized).jpg
laser-beam-sharks (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #574 YouTube of the dead flip stream of Batman 66 Posted by DeadFlip (7 years ago)

Post #844 Photos of episode 81 game Posted by RocketPin (7 years ago)

Post #862 Photos of the backbox boards Posted by MK6PIN (7 years ago)

Post #910 Photos of gadget #38 Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #914 PHotos of gadget #91 Posted by taz (7 years ago)

Post #918 Photos of episode 83 Posted by doomid (7 years ago)

Post #1285 Batman Code update released and readme Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Post #1357 Photos of a pinsider's playfield with chipping and dimples Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #1503 Great photos of game episode #66 Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#91 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

If Lonnie were on code, there would be 78 SLEs and 235 LEs still available.

Ouch! You do know Lonnie did a lot of coding for IM and TRON right? And TF (minus the LE features) is coded very well, and even the rules are less wood chomping than Metallica which Lyman did. I have a feeling Aerosmith is gonna turn some heads; but that all said, I'd still bet on Lyman over Lonnie. But I don't think Lonnie gets his due credit for all well coded his stuff is.

#98 7 years ago
Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Star Trek and KISS. Steve Ritchie even admitted that the Star Trek code was broken before Dwight fixed it. KISS speaks for itself.
I can say for 100% certainty that I would not have bought Batman 66 LE if Lonnie were on code. I have a hard time believing that I would be the only one.

yea, you are spot on with ST and KISS. Forgot about those

#363 7 years ago

I just watched the 4 minute video once and I am now an expert on this pin

That said, game looks cool but code is very very bare. I was hoping Lyman would stray away from BDK crane programming and do something a little more creative like BBH. Hard to tell in that video, but looks a little more like BDK crane. But like I said, code looks very very bare. Will be interesting to see if it's progressed come Friday for the deadflip stream.

#367 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

In BDK, Multiball started after hitting all the crane positions. That didn't happen here....seriously though, this code is mega early - who knows what it'll turn into.
Curious though - what was wrong with BDK crane logic in your opinion? Each time it came out, it had a different set of movements and timing. Seems like he gave a single toy multiple personalities each time you battled it - that's something you don't often see with pinball toys.

it's been awhile since I owned BDK, I just remember it not being random and being very predictable.

On a side note: they really missed a good opportunity from not using color changing inserts for the X multipliers. They could of had different colors represent 2x, 3x, 4x, etc... on the multiplier shots.

#371 7 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Here is Video #2. 6+ min, showcasing 2 modes completed, Extra ball and Multiball. I don't like the angle of this video, because its straight on and washes out the colors on the LCD. nothing wrong with the LCD, its the angle the video is being shot. arrows have color changing leds in them
» YouTube video
GAP

2nd video much better. I can't help but think about the first dialed in videos of the phone ringing nonstop and the bat phone being the same, except less annoying.

And the right orbit ball return....eek. Hope there's an adjustment for that. But looks a little too much Avengers and POTC to me - bouncing off the slingshot

LCD does looks sweet and incorporated very well.

#393 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

. What kind of HD material will Stern have to choose from when it comes to Aerosmith for example?.

I was thinking about this the other night in regards to Aerosmith. If they take video clips from their music videos and live shows, it's gonna look like crap. If they have an actual artist (dirty Donnie?) have cartoon like animated characters and representation on the LCD, it's gonna look phenomenal! It will certainly be interesting what direction stern goes with future LCD releases, but I like what I see from BM66 LCD so far, it's a mixture of both...just like the tv series!

#650 7 years ago

I don't want to sound like a party popper but G.Gomez has made similar statements about code updates every 2 weeks 'til we get it right' before and not delivered. But him saying this is admitting the game needs work, and from the stream - it needs lots of work, is just another reason not to be on the early buyer train (unless that's your thing); for any pin, not just BM66.

That said, I have more faith in lyman than I do Gomez, no offense to George.

#694 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

TWD is a freaking masterpiece, its a workout, just got off a decent 1.7 bill game, !

About time to take off those training wheels

2 weeks later
#1410 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

This comment is concerning to me, getting a NIB is supposed to be exciting and part of the enjoyment of this hobby, not the other way around.
I am concerned that this could become a major issue for Stern. The Batman66 I played also had cracking in the shooter lane, and big dimples. I really thought that Stern's beta testers and quality control department had this problem resolved. I was wrong and now it is really becoming concerning. I really like Stern and I love pinball and I would do almost anything to try and save a company from it's own demise. If Stern does not fix these issues and start turning out quality product again they will be in trouble.
I watched this documentary the other day on Netflix called Atari: Game Over. It is a documentary about the rise and fall of Atari and how a couple of big mistakes cost the company to fold and go under. One of the mistakes was Atari getting greedy and wanting to capitalize on Christmas and they wanted to piggyback on the success of the ET franchise. Atari gave one of their head programmers 5 weeks to code ET instead of the standard 5 month time frame. It turned out that nobody liked the game and they made over 4 million cartridges. It was not the only reason Atari failed but it was a big contributing factor. Sounds familiar with trying to push product out the door too soon before proper testing was performed.
My point here is these large arcade/pinball manufacturers are more susceptible to trends and consumers than we know. If Stern has a couple of bad titles in one year that nobody buys, or they have major quality control issues that result in law suits, they will find themselves in deep shit. I recommend Stern hire a qualified beta tester that can help deter any potential issues that can become major problems. There is absolutely no excuse to have these Batman66 going out with defective playfields. They need to figure this out-like yesterday. Stern if you are reading this you can hire me as an outside consultant, I could help streamline your production without compromising quality.

Spot on. We saw it with ghostbusters, and now with BM66. These games need better design testing before going into production. I was surprised how many airball deflections I was getting on the BM66 turn table toy. It's no wonder it's a high traffic dimpling 'pitting' area. The magnet dimples surprise me too. I have an SMVE with a couple hundred plays and it's magnet still looks new *knock on wood*.

The turn table toy needed more time and design efforts as well as the whole table for that matter and it shows. the game is a klunkfest, but Gomez had to sell this overpriced premature game somehow, so what did he use as it's only real selling point? His ace in the hole, Lyman Sheats. And the code being the most bare we've seen any stern in production just goes to show you how rushed out these pins were. Lyman has his work cut out for him, but I don't anticipate this game being even close to good until the end of this year.

I'm curious to see how Aerosmith does design/build/code wise once it's in production as one known distributor told me that pin has been finished since July '16, but kept getting pushed back.

#1475 7 years ago

when George Gomez finally questions their playfield manufacturing dept....

IMG_1362 (resized).JPGIMG_1362 (resized).JPG

IMG_1364 (resized).JPGIMG_1364 (resized).JPG

2 weeks later
#1573 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Not everybody had to beg - in fact I'd guess only a handful of people fell for that.
The person I know who got one simply got an email saying it was his lucky day and he could buy one. He agreed.

I almost fell for one of those emails too; you know, where you give someone $15,000 and they say theyre gonna give you something cool but never do. I think it was from Nigeria.

#1585 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I have a Dialed In on preorder, but I'm almost expecting some sort of issues with it. The Hobbit was nowhere near "the most ambitious pin ever created," and it had all kinds of crazy issues with balls falling off ramps, ramps breaking, pop ups getting stuck, and plenty more. Eventually they got worked out, sure. Side note: WoZ wasn't the most ambitious pin ever created, it was just the most ambitious for a while.
All that said, Batman '66 is supposed to be a premium machine. All the fine details should have been aggressively obsessed over. Testing should have been doubled or tripled up. It's pretty obvious that the game didn't get any extra level of care than any other game. That's a shame.
I really hope that Dialed In and Aerosmith buck the trend for problematic game releases. This is getting ridiculous.

Honest question to not just you, but other preorder collectors out there; but why continue to punish yourself believing in a 'scent of Hope' that the next new pin won't have issues. GBLE, Woz, hobbit, BM66, MMR, the list goes on...

This is not something new in pinball. It's been going on for as long as I've been in the hobby (10+ years). LOTR, TF, TRON, XMEN, MET, avengers...all of them had their issues from the start. Some more than others.

My best owner experiences have been with pins that are proven rather than believing that it will be a proven game based on a 'scent of hope' that the theme, design, support, and even increased price would equate to a good game.

So why must we continue to punish ourselves in believing that we must have the next new pin before out neighbor gets it believing that it'll be the next big hit. Why not wait and find out that it's the next big hit first then get it? Save yourself the torture? Or are we at a point in the hobby where getting kicked in the nuts is not just a privilege, but an honor?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-whats-your-impression?tu=eskaybee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.