IMG_2979 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0142 (resized).JPG
heavenly-bm66 (resized).jpg
laser-beam-sharks (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #574 YouTube of the dead flip stream of Batman 66 Posted by DeadFlip (7 years ago)

Post #844 Photos of episode 81 game Posted by RocketPin (7 years ago)

Post #862 Photos of the backbox boards Posted by MK6PIN (7 years ago)

Post #910 Photos of gadget #38 Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #914 PHotos of gadget #91 Posted by taz (7 years ago)

Post #918 Photos of episode 83 Posted by doomid (7 years ago)

Post #1285 Batman Code update released and readme Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Post #1357 Photos of a pinsider's playfield with chipping and dimples Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #1503 Great photos of game episode #66 Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#259 7 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Videos can be deceiving, like Careless Whisper. Wasn't George Michael making out with chicks in that video...?

Wow! Was this complete prophecy? George Michael, dead. Freaky timing.

#444 7 years ago

I vote we add the 66 in there.

#586 7 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Just loving the stupidity of everyone saying people spend 15K. No, 80 people spent that. 240 spent 10K. Everyone else spends 8500.
Neil

Wow, you just tried to normalize an 8500 dollar Premium? While saying other people are expressing stupidity? That's crazy man. Sure, the 15k is the lightning rod, but the 8.5k PrOmium is just as stupid.

#600 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I think some people just enjoy arguing;

I'm really irritated that you said that.

#715 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

In Lyman We Trust.

Trust, but verify.

#778 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I remember when Stern launched Star Trek, and the shit storm that followed. Well it turned out to be a great game and many people changed their tune.

I'm one of those people. I didn't like Star Trek, I didn't like Walking Dead, and then Stern turned them into great games well after release. You can add others to that. SM, AC/DC. Ok games, but eventually they hit it right on the head. However, I would never make the assumption that Stern will do that with every release.

#795 7 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Just the issue that despite node boards supposedly being repairable with throughhole transistors, etc... failures have largely been board swaps so far. There isn't voltage protection where a short can take out a lot of stuff.

In my opinion, they run them too close to the edge. There isn't enough headroom for issues. Kind of like driving a Pinto and a BMW at 100 miles an hour. Both will do it, but the Pinto will fail faster.

#1140 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Dare I say I'm more interested in playing more RZ than B66, or is that going to lead to more people putting me on ignore?

Martyrdom doesn't suit you. If you like RZ, play RZ. I think it's awesome that you can find games you enjoy playing. Personally I didn't care for RZ that much, however I have only played 3 games on it, so I don't even respect my opinion yet.

What's strange to me is how closely my opinions mirror RareHero's on a lot of these games. Maybe he says it a bit harshly, but I really do agree with him on most of them.

#1144 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

Oh. Well, haughtiness fits you to a tee. What's strange to me is that I thought you were one of the good guys on here.

I am one of the good guys Cornelius. I think about what I say and I'm not trying to sit here behind a keyboard and push your buttons. I'd say the exact same stuff if you were at one of the pinball parties I throw at my house. You're being obtuse if you are saying people that agree are guilty of groupthink. It's disingenuous, but don't worry, it doesn't bother me.

#1149 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

It's still pretty clear on the premium flyer....

Quoted from cooked71:

I know. Just saying something's changed - by accident or not. There it is in writing. The flyer pre-dates production.
As an le customer, I'll be happy with the Batgirl backbox. But if I was a premium customer and ordered based on this flyer, maybe not so much.

That is a great picture of the flyer. Could you move the camera down just a speck to get the part that says "game subject to change"? It's only a fraction of an inch below where you cropped it out. They have it right below the logos.

IMG_0022 (resized).PNGIMG_0022 (resized).PNG

#1203 7 years ago
Quoted from Cornelius:

This reads to me like you're saying that you thoughtfully compose your every post on Pinside, while I just drool and bash against the keyboard and fling my dung all over your carefully worded missives. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. You are wrong because you are then trying to insinuate that if I say something about myself, it means that I am saying the exact opposite about you. It really sounds like you are taking everything that anybody says near you as an attack against you. If that was what you read in my words, there is nothing I could type that would convince you of anything else.

1 week later
#1409 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

This comment is concerning to me, getting a NIB is supposed to be exciting and part of the enjoyment of this hobby, not the other way around.
I am concerned that this could become a major issue for Stern. The Batman66 I played also had cracking in the shooter lane, and big dimples. I really thought that Stern's beta testers and quality control department had this problem resolved. I was wrong and now it is really becoming concerning. I really like Stern and I love pinball and I would do almost anything to try and save a company from it's own demise. If Stern does not fix these issues and start turning out quality product again they will be in trouble.
I watched this documentary the other day on Netflix called Atari: Game Over. It is a documentary about the rise and fall of Atari and how a couple of big mistakes cost the company to fold and go under. One of the mistakes was Atari getting greedy and wanting to capitalize on Christmas and they wanted to piggyback on the success of the ET franchise. Atari gave one of their head programmers 5 weeks to code ET instead of the standard 5 month time frame. It turned out that nobody liked the game and they made over 4 million cartridges. It was not the only reason Atari failed but it was a big contributing factor. Sounds familiar with trying to push product out the door too soon before proper testing was performed.
My point here is these large arcade/pinball manufacturers are more susceptible to trends and consumers than we know. If Stern has a couple of bad titles in one year that nobody buys, or they have major quality control issues that result in law suits, they will find themselves in deep shit. I recommend Stern hire a qualified beta tester that can help deter any potential issues that can become major problems. There is absolutely no excuse to have these Batman66 going out with defective playfields. They need to figure this out-like yesterday. Stern if you are reading this you can hire me as an outside consultant, I could help streamline your production without compromising quality.

This is nothing like Atari. Sure, both companies make something. However Stern doesn't buy things like older companies did. In your Atari ET example, they made 4 million cartridges of crap. That was a really big investment. But Stern doesn't overstock like older companies, they almost do a build on demand system. Inventory on hand is only what is needed to meet that demand. Their biggest cost is assembly. So an extra 1000 flipper bases will just get used up on a different game. They won't ever have to do "closeout" sales like they did back with Ripley's, because they just won't build them now.

And here is the MASSIVE difference... Stern can fix it really quickly. If they actually started to get close to going over the cliff, all they would have to do is turn out 500 copies of LOTR using the same manufacturers for parts that they used when the game first came out. The one company that could do that is Stern. They would sell like hotcakes, and instantly cure any ills. They probably have 5 games they could do that with and get themselves right back in the game.

Oh, and on topic, I finally played a Batman 66 SLE (yup, the Super). And I enjoyed it.

#1494 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Go spend your own money on one and see how much you enjoy it.

I was leaving the cost of the game out of the equation. Everybody here already knows I think the price is insane. I've spent 8k on a brand new game, and I remember the overall feeling that it was too much for me to have tied up in one game. And this one was 15k... I was only saying what I thought of the game when I was standing at the flippers actually playing it. And when I do that, I base it on how I feel playing. It doesn't go deep on rules, it ignores cost, it's just how I feel. I'm sure part of it was the fact that I knew I was playing a rare game, but I've played very rare games and didn't enjoy them. For this one though, I enjoyed it. If there was a Pro, and it was priced like a Pro, and if Stern wasn't having big QC issues, I probably would have bought one. It hits my nostalgia buttons. Great theme for someone like me. But unfortunately I can't always play pinball in a vacuum.

2 weeks later
#1599 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

-Manufactured rarity
-Metallic cabinet decals
-A batman flashlight on top
-Red stripes in the trim
-A handful of $5 Hotwheel toys on the playfield
-The ability to say you're one of 80 people who had to beg to give Stern $15k for an untested, uncoded pinball machine.

And a special translite. I mean that's gotta be 2k of value right there.

IMG_0561 (resized).JPGIMG_0561 (resized).JPG

1 week later
#1953 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Turntable behaviour is most probably due to the early nature of the code.

I'd still be looking to make sure the wires are not getting caught because of a wire tie sticking out of the wire bundle or something basic like that. Sometimes it's the simple things.

#2052 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I can rate games I never played based on videos, people's opinions, my own research & etc. My rating comment explains my position and that I'll be back to update after playing it.

Of course you can, however I feel that anyone that rates a game they haven't played is a douche. It makes the ratings completely worthless.

#2060 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

Simple, you just go to the game and click rate. And ignore the rule that suggests only rating games you've played. Anyone can judge things or form an opinion on things without experiencing them first hand, it happens all the time. I think seeing the videos and complaints and etc. is sufficient enough to form an opinion especially because I specifically state that I will be back to update my rating after playing the game. People need to find other things to get upset about, this witch hunt against me for my opinion of this game is silly.

I've never met you, but I'm rating you a 3.2 as a Pinsider, just above Judge Dredd.

#2090 7 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Wtf? JD is better than 2/3s of all Sterns ever made.

I disagree, and that is perfectly ok. We don't have to agree on JD. I only bought JD because everyone said how good it went with Demo Man. Out of every game I've owned, it is the only one I ended up hating. On the other hand I've liked every Stern I've owned. I even still own RCT, just because I like the start of the Multiball. Granted, there are Stern games I have not owned, but for the most part, I enjoy their games.

#2123 7 years ago
Quoted from sevenrites:

I thought it was an addiction, not a hobby.

It's always fun to watch someone take the turn to the dark side. They get snippy, sarcastic, and then try to justify rating games they haven't played.

#2140 7 years ago
Quoted from PinB:

New code is up:
http://sternpinball.com/game-code/game-code-batman-premium
http://sternpinball.com/game-code/game-code-batman-super-le
V0.69.0 - February 16, 2017
===========================
- Added shaker motor effects.
- Cleaned up villain super jackpot award display effects (text, speed up).
- Added display effect and sounds for extra ball.
- Added display effect and sounds for extra ball lit.
- Fixed a bug in the batphone hurry-up where stacking the 4th villain
would not lock in the 4th villain; the 4th villain would continually
allow the batphone hurry-up to be restarted.
- Restart batphone hurry-up award from mystery now given every other time.
- Pop bumper target increases the pop bumper values.
- Implemented new versioning scheme.
- Added turntable magnet to villain vision shots to the turntable during
main multiball.
- Changed the names of the TV target targets and lamps.
- Stop penguin skill shot on certain playfield switches.
- Rework text bubbles for skill shot.
- Cleaned up control gate issues. Added open control gate for combos and
for batphone hurry-up.
- Extra ball now awarded on the left loop switch as well as the top eject.
- Added batphone hurry-up champion.
- Fixed an issue with the node start-up code that would fail to detect
the Villain Vision (TV) node on certain games. The node start-up code
would continually reset the node bus, and after 5 tries, give up.
Shortly after giving up, the TV node would come on-line. This has been
corrected.
- Major villain mode scoring now based on:
a) Number of times all villains have been captured
b) Batphone hurry-up score
c) Number of villain shots made.
- Major villain advance was not being initialized correctly (villains
would not require more shots after they had been completed). This has
been fixed.
- Added restart batphone hurry-up award to mystery.

IMG_0142 (resized).JPGIMG_0142 (resized).JPG

1 month later
#2193 6 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

I am not even a good player and progressed through many villains. It got boring so quick I literally walked away during my Ball 3 on my 3rd or 4th game. I played dozens of games at the expo I have never played and had a blast. BM66 was, in my opinion, the worst modern Stern there- and they had them all. I am sure there are people like you and Iceman that enjoy it, and that's great! Money well spent.
For the rest of us, it is just a mediocre game and our opinions reflect that. There's no comparison between BM66 and Aerosmith.

The only huge issue I have with this is that this has happened to me with a LOT of games. TWD is a great example. It kind of bit. Bit after a while Lyman rubbed some magic into it. Same with MET, kind of a mediocre game that became magical with code. AC/DC, heck even Spider-Man. Star Trek, boring to wonderful. I'm not saying Lyman is going to turn BM66 into a gem, I'm saying that it is way too early to pass final judgements until it is done. I've walked away from better games.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daveh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-whats-your-impression?tu=daveh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.