IMG_2979 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0142 (resized).JPG
heavenly-bm66 (resized).jpg
laser-beam-sharks (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #574 YouTube of the dead flip stream of Batman 66 Posted by DeadFlip (7 years ago)

Post #844 Photos of episode 81 game Posted by RocketPin (7 years ago)

Post #862 Photos of the backbox boards Posted by MK6PIN (7 years ago)

Post #910 Photos of gadget #38 Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #914 PHotos of gadget #91 Posted by taz (7 years ago)

Post #918 Photos of episode 83 Posted by doomid (7 years ago)

Post #1285 Batman Code update released and readme Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Post #1357 Photos of a pinsider's playfield with chipping and dimples Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #1503 Great photos of game episode #66 Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cserold.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#944 7 years ago

The dimpling on my GB Prem doesn't bother me but while the new Stern playfields are beautiful don't they look to be made of a different, softer material. I'm specifcally talking about the Nov gb Prem I have and the BM 66 I played today. The playfields almost look "soft" to my eye and the shine/sheen on them appears different than anything I've seen. Is nobody talking about this? To my eye, I'm not suprised at all that material dimples. But, again, it doesn't bother me

#948 7 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Newer wood is softer and will simple more easily than older wood. Probably freshly cut.

Are we sure the technology used to clear coat hasn't changed and that the clear coat itself may be forming the dimples??? Again, the recent GB and BM66 playfields have something unique about their look for sure

#949 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I don't know. You can see the similar dimples in the magnet core as well.

Exactly. Makes me think it's the clear being dimpled. That magnet is coated, right?

#960 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Well...
Location in Dallas, TX has a Premium on location. Played 5 games. ~900 million was my best score.
Oh yeah...and 20 cents a play. LAWLZ.

We had a bunch of balls flying off the back of the left ramp's wire form. Did you see that too? Often these balls would get stuck on top of the spinning disc and a ball search would clear it. Problem is the ball search spins the disc and it will dump all your balls locked for multiball back onto the playfield but the game doesn't know it happens so the first ball you drain ends your ball. Then your next ball will always eject multiple balls into shooter lane. So weird.

Nice score btw. Guy playing earlier today got score #1 st 500M

#961 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

How does a layer of paint dent wood?

Poorly worded on my part. Meant to ask if the dimple was actually occurring in a thick layer of the coating. I'm probably thinking the coating is thicker than it is. Thanks for your warm responses though

#1039 7 years ago
Quoted from volcanodiver:

jesus christ how thick do you think clear is that it can dimple and not make the wood under it also dimple??

Was thinking about 1 inch or more. Is that about right?

#1042 7 years ago

So, whilst not ideal, the longer it is left to 'dry' the better it would seem.

Whilst is an under utilized word. I applaud you sir.

#1057 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I understand believe me lol, I just pictured that in my head and thought it was funny. I wish the dimples wasn't in my games believe me, but as long as I don't see them when I'm standing there looking at it or playing I can live with it. I guess the reason it was so funny to me is because I'm sorta like that. I obsess on almost everything, you don't even want to go grocery shopping with me believe me lol.

I believe you

#1067 7 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

You think there's a INCH of clear....?!?
You can't possibly be serious. I hope you were trying to be sarcastic and just failed in an epic manner. The glass on your car windshield isn't even an inch thick.

Wake up Frax. It was a joke. Now go put a billion on 66 at nickelrama

1 week later
#1411 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

This is nothing like Atari. Sure, both companies make something. However Stern doesn't buy things like older companies did. In your Atari ET example, they made 4 million cartridges of crap. That was a really big investment. But Stern doesn't overstock like older companies, they almost do a build on demand system. Inventory on hand is only what is needed to meet that demand. Their biggest cost is assembly. So an extra 1000 flipper bases will just get used up on a different game. They won't ever have to do "closeout" sales like they did back with Ripley's, because they just won't build them now.
And here is the MASSIVE difference... Stern can fix it really quickly. If they actually started to get close to going over the cliff, all they would have to do is turn out 500 copies of LOTR using the same manufacturers for parts that they used when the game first came out. The one company that could do that is Stern. They would sell like hotcakes, and instantly cure any ills. They probably have 5 games they could do that with and get themselves right back in the game.
Oh, and on topic, I finally played a Batman 66 SLE (yup, the Super). And I enjoyed it.

Go spend your own money on one and see how much you enjoy it.

#1414 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

As one of those guests, I echo Frolic's take on the game. There were a few physical issues that concerned me on his LE, namely that shots would make it half way up the left lane and then brick somehow, like there's something blocking the lane. Maybe a zip-tie. So, some tweaking there is needed. But that's an individual build issue I think, not a design flaw.
However, in the design flaw arena, the left and right sides of the turntable have some annoying dead spots and allow for ball hangups. At one point we had to remove the glass to get a ball off the top of the batmobile. I think if the game had spent some time out on test, like JJP is doing with Dialed In, they might have found some of these issues and fixed them.
That said, it's fairly minor and like Frolic said, the art is amazing and the sound package is great. The graphics are a bit better than I expected, still a little rough but I assume the polish will come.
Is it worth the price? I'd say no, but this is the new pricing reality so it's not really a choice. I think for the money I'd rather have a GB Premium. I'm happy to re-evaluate when the software is done, though.

I think most have really crappy left orbit shot and many have left ramp issue of balls flying off the ramp. IMO, this is a design issue.

#1428 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I hope that this is the wake-up call that they need to fix the QA/QC problems once and for. when we took the tour this past year a member of our party asked if the games were spot checked or each and every game was inspected. we were told that every game was checked at various points through the assembly process. I can't honestly believe that this case, especially given all of the issues that people continue to have "out of the box"
if you're not the only one to have issues like these, it's going to be an expensive re-call process for stern (it's not like an automobile, where you can simply drive it to a local dealer and have them check it out
I've said it before and I'll say it again. if they don't get someone in there to monitor and correct this level of jackassery, "we collectors", who now dominate the percentage of end-users of who the machines are being sold to are going [at some point] say enough is enough (which means not blindly pre-ordering games) and stern's sales are going to suffer, possibly to the point from which there is no recovery

"Jackassery".

I think that's what has to change. Blindly pre-ordering games.

#1433 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Iceman, we know dude - you are totally fine with everything- Gary has already put your Size small Stern Army shirt in the mail

Iceman built this game up so much in his head and on these boards he would found greatness in a pile of horse dung if that's what showed up in his box.

#1498 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I was leaving the cost of the game out of the equation. Everybody here already knows I think the price is insane. I've spent 8k on a brand new game, and I remember the overall feeling that it was too much for me to have tied up in one game. And this one was 15k... I was only saying what I thought of the game when I was standing at the flippers actually playing it. And when I do that, I base it on how I feel playing. It doesn't go deep on rules, it ignores cost, it's just how I feel. I'm sure part of it was the fact that I knew I was playing a rare game, but I've played very rare games and didn't enjoy them. For this one though, I enjoyed it. If there was a Pro, and it was priced like a Pro, and if Stern wasn't having big QC issues, I probably would have bought one. It hits my nostalgia buttons. Great theme for someone like me. But unfortunately I can't always play pinball in a vacuum.

That' fair. I guess I'm really in the same boat. Decided to buy it after playing a few games on location. Knew it was really early code but thought it would be worth the investment. Part of the problem, I'm sure, is I'm not even a Batman guy but did enjoy owning Batman (The Dark Knight). So, the theme doesn't help me overlook for rationalize some things. That's on me. So, I guess, for me, this game is "fun to play" as long as somebody else is paying for it. Haha. Oh, well. I still support Stern and think they make some damn fun games. Hope that they do whatever they need to keep home purchasing owners happy. We all need Stern to continue making games.

2 weeks later
#1541 7 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Anybody own the game and not like it?

Don't mean to be a Debby downer but I owned it and sold it at a pretty good loss after 2-3 weeks. I had the premium.

#1603 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Not looking for sympathy. Of course I know this hobby, at whatever level, is a complete luxury and anyone who can afford to buy their own pinball machine is by definition wealthy (on a global scale). The fact I can afford to buy NIB Sterns probably means I shouldn't complain at all.
Just disappointed in Stern. B66 is a dream theme . The art is perfect. The whole LE collectible thing is great. The whole package on paper is perfect. But to a certain extent they tripped at the line.
You're 100% right - they are controlled by investors, but I guess I'm seeing first hand how this is overriding their passion for pinball (or at least the people who work for them that have a passion for pinball). They're targeting collectors, and their market research has told them what collectors want, but in reality it is not getting past the idea stage. It's not translating into a real collectable product. They give lip service to the product being high end and collectible with X & Y features, but by the time it gets to the production line, they cut back.
I said when this game was being hyped originally that Stern set a really high bar with B66, and it remains to be seen whether they could jump that high. They got close, but not quite.
And in most cases it's for ridiculous things that are inexpensive, yet make all the difference to a collector. Like the Bat Symbol sticker instead of laser cut alloy (what, $1 part?) or the crap Hotwheels car instead of a high quality one ($5 upgrade?), Perspex instead of wireform over the left ramp ($10 upgrade?), lack of another support on the left wireform ($10 upgrade?). It's these authentic details that make the difference. AUTHENTICITY! Cut back costs by all means by making the production line more efficient, moving the power supply to a location that overall makes more sense, improving the electronics to be smaller and more powerful. But why skimp on the small authentic details that mean something to a collector?
You say I have lots of options? My original post said I want a great theme, that plays fast and NIB? So my options are....?
I can still express my disappointment in Stern and continue to buy their product. I want to continue buying Stern but I also want them to lift their game.
At the moment they know there is no option. To a certain extent they are cashing in their huge goodwill. Obviously you can only do that for so long until the goodwill dries up or there are other viable options.
I think Im going to sit down and write a Dear Gary letter. Might enlist KPG's help.

Great post. I agree 100%

#1908 7 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

Wow! That's pretty shocking. If I lived nearby It would probably be in my basement several days ago.
I understand the code needs lots of work ...And there are quite a few new machines coming in the next few years but that seems like an insanely low price!

It's an insanely low price only because they sold them for 10k. Doesn't mean the market is going to support that price.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Altoona, PA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cserold.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-whats-your-impression?tu=cserold and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.