IMG_2979 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0142 (resized).JPG
heavenly-bm66 (resized).jpg
laser-beam-sharks (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #574 YouTube of the dead flip stream of Batman 66 Posted by DeadFlip (7 years ago)

Post #844 Photos of episode 81 game Posted by RocketPin (7 years ago)

Post #862 Photos of the backbox boards Posted by MK6PIN (7 years ago)

Post #910 Photos of gadget #38 Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #914 PHotos of gadget #91 Posted by taz (7 years ago)

Post #918 Photos of episode 83 Posted by doomid (7 years ago)

Post #1285 Batman Code update released and readme Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Post #1357 Photos of a pinsider's playfield with chipping and dimples Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #1503 Great photos of game episode #66 Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Onwallst.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#962 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Welcome to pinball!
Pitting (aka dimpling) is normal. It's most noticeable on a new playfield, but once there's a lot of dimples, it evens out and looks fine. Totally normal.

This is an urban myth that stern started to tell people. I believed it on my Star Trk. I have owned two a premium in 2014 thinking they fixed it but it looked just like my LE did. I have seen it on all sterns since then along with the insert issues. Dimpling never goes away or evens out. None of the old games have it. The MMR le, hobbit or woz have it. Stern is using softer wood. The grain is wider suggesting more fertizlers. My GBLE you can see the grain of the wood through the paint. It came that way. Almost looks like planking. Something is going on but don't think it evens out it just looks like the moon more everyday. I am not sure who is supplying playfeilds now to them or if they are doing in house. Many rumors. I was hoping on batman 66 they fixed this.

#965 7 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

I'm in the camp that dimpling happens quite a bit on new playfields BUT not all of them. I believe it's as simple as: a hard steel ball, running and bouncing on top of soft wood and fresh clear coat - steel ball wins. BUT ... I have an MMR LE and it has zero dimples and hundreds of games. My GBLE that I purchased around the same time has hundreds of dimples. Now GB LE throws the ball around pretty violently so that certainly adds to the opportunity to dimple.
It is ALSO true that playfields with thousands of plays can and do "even out". I restored my own Bride of Pinbot playfield and it is now mirror flat without a single dimple. This is because it was played perhaps 10's of thousands of plays before I bought it and restored it. It will never dimple again as the wood is 100% compressed.
One way to reduce the chance of dimpling is to add a playfield protector. There are folks in Germany that sell templates and I have one of theirs and it's nice and works well. But, no one has one made for BM66 yet so ...
I made my own this evening before I put a single game on my new BM66SLE. The thread link follows. Parts and supplies are cheap. Does take a few hours though and some patience. Probably would not bother at this point if your PF has dimples. Like my GBLE, the more I play, the less I see them as they begin to blend together and eventually almost disappear.
Link to thread and more pics ...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-official-club-thread/page/7#post-3527141

I got the playfeild protector on my GBLE before one game was played. I have compared to others with tons of dimples and my protector looks like it is doing the job. You should be happy and great pics. What material did you use. My mmr Le is like yours, a lot of games no dimples. All my old games no dimples. I really think the wood and magnet metal is softer in Stern's new games. None of my other magnets dimpled just the newer games. Your Batman looks great!

#976 7 years ago

I have had a few attacks from mars. The one I clear coated had issues with fish eyeing. All others nothing. In the picture it looks clear-coated and different than mine. It is a good topic for discussion.

#996 7 years ago

You are correct it is a "myth" they never even out. It is different wood or process.

#999 7 years ago

Why are the JJP or the Chicago gaming games not doing its ? My Woz LE and Star Trek are the same build month and played the same. The Star Trek looks like the moon.

#1001 7 years ago
Quoted from SteveMan:

Sorry, what's micro?

Micro is brand of remanfactured playfeild and they do dimple. A lot of people send them off to re-clear coat before installing.

#1004 7 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

I think you mean Mirco -- (autocorrect might have "fixed" that)...

Yep "micro"

#1005 7 years ago

I have had great luck and I have friend who has also. Not ideal on GB it took 1 hour 15 minutes to install but well worth it. I came from Germany. You can google them. Took a few weeks to get here but fights nice.

#1008 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Are you sure it is not just the bright lights of ST highlighting the dimples? I feel that all my games have about the same amount of dimples, but I guess I should take a closer look under bright overhead lights to confirm.

Yes I am sure. I was waxing them last week. My lotr and Spider-Man are perfect. It is the newer games. Had a original Metallica Le and then got the pro and metal on the pro was soft like others have posted. Metallica hides the dimples better with the graphics. My mmr has zero dimples.

#1028 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Ok, explain why my Iron Man, Tron, Spider-Man, and AC/DC didn't wear like my GBLE has or how GoT has or how Batman is now showing. The games are different in some way today. The dimples are much more noticeable, numerous, and deeper into the wood in the newer games. Call BS all you want, but you're wrong. All evidence (proof, actually) points to newer Stern games having a higher likelihood to dimple and pit.

You are correct it has got worst in the last 18 months. The playfeilds are different. My GOT did it horrible. Everyone wants to seem to ignore the issue while the prices rise. GBLE and Bat 66 seemed to drop a notch lower.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 34.99
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
10,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greeley, CO
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Onwallst.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-whats-your-impression?tu=Onwallst and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.