IMG_2979 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0142 (resized).JPG
heavenly-bm66 (resized).jpg
laser-beam-sharks (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #574 YouTube of the dead flip stream of Batman 66 Posted by DeadFlip (7 years ago)

Post #844 Photos of episode 81 game Posted by RocketPin (7 years ago)

Post #862 Photos of the backbox boards Posted by MK6PIN (7 years ago)

Post #910 Photos of gadget #38 Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #914 PHotos of gadget #91 Posted by taz (7 years ago)

Post #918 Photos of episode 83 Posted by doomid (7 years ago)

Post #1285 Batman Code update released and readme Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Post #1357 Photos of a pinsider's playfield with chipping and dimples Posted by Texasff78 (7 years ago)

Post #1503 Great photos of game episode #66 Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1496 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

My TWDLE built in Nov '14 has little dimples all over the magnet cores. I don't think it's a big deal.

I agree... I don't think the dimpling is a deal to worry about. There's plenty of pictures of BW playfield with dimples. These games have steel balls being thrown around at high velocity. It's going to happen.

What IS a concern is clear coat chipping off and separation of the clear coat from the playfield. That shouldn't be happening on week 2.

2 weeks later
#1730 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Not looking for sympathy. Of course I know this hobby, at whatever level, is a complete luxury and anyone who can afford to buy their own pinball machine is by definition wealthy (on a global scale). The fact I can afford to buy NIB Sterns probably means I shouldn't complain at all.
Just disappointed in Stern. B66 is a dream theme . The art is perfect. The whole LE collectible thing is great. The whole package on paper is perfect. But to a certain extent they tripped at the line.
You're 100% right - they are controlled by investors, but I guess I'm seeing first hand how this is overriding their passion for pinball (or at least the people who work for them that have a passion for pinball). They're targeting collectors, and their market research has told them what collectors want, but in reality it is not getting past the idea stage. It's not translating into a real collectable product. They give lip service to the product being high end and collectible with X & Y features, but by the time it gets to the production line, they cut back.
I said when this game was being hyped originally that Stern set a really high bar with B66, and it remains to be seen whether they could jump that high. They got close, but not quite.
And in most cases it's for ridiculous things that are inexpensive, yet make all the difference to a collector. Like the Bat Symbol sticker instead of laser cut alloy (what, $1 part?) or the crap Hotwheels car instead of a high quality one ($5 upgrade?), Perspex instead of wireform over the left ramp ($10 upgrade?), lack of another support on the left wireform ($10 upgrade?). It's these authentic details that make the difference. AUTHENTICITY! Cut back costs by all means by making the production line more efficient, moving the power supply to a location that overall makes more sense, improving the electronics to be smaller and more powerful. But why skimp on the small authentic details that mean something to a collector?
You say I have lots of options? My original post said I want a great theme, that plays fast and NIB? So my options are....?
I can still express my disappointment in Stern and continue to buy their product. I want to continue buying Stern but I also want them to lift their game.
At the moment they know there is no option. To a certain extent they are cashing in their huge goodwill. Obviously you can only do that for so long until the goodwill dries up or there are other viable options.
I think Im going to sit down and write a Dear Gary letter. Might enlist KPG's help.

Come now... the history is there. Anyone blindly plopping down 10k plus for a game from Stern (that they've never played or physically seen) know exactly what the possible outcomes are.

You knew the risk like everyone else... sure, one outcome could be awesome game... others could be crappy playfield, clunky shots, crap code for 1-1/2 years. No reasons to go over every possible scenario.

Total buyer beware (or buyer get lucky/unlucky). You pay huge cash for a sight-unseen product, you're signing a waiver saying you'll take what you get - good, bad, and ugly.

#1766 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I agree with you 100%, but I just don't think a 10-15k game should ship to customers that has zero code and tons of mechanical problems.

Just because Stern is asking $10-$15K for game doesn't mean they are going to ship you anything better than a $4 or $5K game.

They are asking that price because they think they can get away with it...and apparently they have.

I find it absolutely baffling that anyone is surprised that BM66 might have mechanical or design issues. Just look at the recent past releases from Stern (especially considering high price point games)... hell, they shipped Game of Thrones Premium and the ball orbit is botched! Look at GB! The ramp on TWD Prem.... in many cases relatively simple fixes on the factory floor would have completely negated a lot of these issues as problems. But Stern doesn't care to take the time to make the fixes because they don't have to. They know we'll make all the changes and alterations.

It's crazy...People are blindly lining up with money in hand...without ever laying hands on a game... and buying.

The biggest mistake any NIB buyer can make is thinking: THIS time it's going to be different.

NOPE

This time it's probably going to be more of the same. You buy first and you're a beta tester.

Cargument: Lexus says it's releasing a brand new car. You see a picture of it in prototype stage. What do you do? Do cut Lexus a check for $55K and ask to have it delivered? No. You wait for it to be sent to a dealer... then you go test drive it. You kick the tires...see how the seat feels... look at trunk space. If you like, then you pay.

Anyone forking over $10K to Stern for a game they've never played is going to get exactly what they deserve: A total mystery. Might get lucky and land a super nice game. Might get a total piece of crap with decals falling off, clear chipping, and crap shot geometry.

Stern is under no obligation to ship with 50% code and 100% perfect shots... they certainly don't guarantee it anywhere in writing.

#1772 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Exactly.
I'm over Stern's Chinese built motorcycle quality machines. Defend them all you want, but they are shipping garbage and people keep blowing their money on these things. So many better pins out there at these prices.

I don't mean to say that Stern makes bad games... In my collection: ACDC is one of my all-time favorites, I've owned ST for over 2 years and it's an absolutely killer pin that's tons of fun... and the Walking Dead is also fantastic. My statement is more on the NIB buyer that's demanding things that he/she has cooked up in their head without basing anything on reality.

Kind of like pre-paying for a 2018 Honda Accord...and then acting surprised when you open the big box to find out that a Porsche 911 isn't staring you back in the face. At this point, you buy NIB on a game you've never seen and you're playing with fire. You feel let down, fault is your own.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop
Under cabinet
$ 26.50
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
19,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mead, WA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 175.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
RavSpec
Other
$ 34.99
Pinball Machine
Almighty Mods
Pinball Machine
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 30.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-whats-your-impression?tu=27dnast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.