20170316_125205 (resized).jpg
IMG_2980 (resized).PNG
IMG_2979 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0142 (resized).JPG
heavenly-bm66 (resized).jpg
laser-beam-sharks (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,344 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 47.
#401 7 years ago

It looks epic, roll on delivery!!!!!

#402 7 years ago

So far it looks like a dud but I'll give Lyman the benefit of the doubt that it will turn out great once complete. I had a similar feeling watching TWD when a gameplay video was first released and now that game is one of my favorites. I think the game will flow pretty well especially if it is pitched better and once the player has the shots down. So far I'm not convinced that the large turntable toy will be a game-changer but I'm sure that will come down to code as well. Right now it doesn't look like much is programmed into the LCD or into the magnet but I'm sure that will change.

I do think we'll all look back in a few years' once all games are LCD and look fondly at the old DMD games with original animations. Could you imagine if a game like TWD just showed snippets of video from the show or if Metallica showed clips of the band playing instead of having awesome animations.... I really think the sweet spot for displays would be a jumbo color DMD showing higher resolution DMD images.-similar quality to the color MMR display.

#403 7 years ago

Sure they said the same thing when they got rid of alphanumeric displays back in the day; I say bring on the LCD display

#404 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

So far it looks like a dud but I'll give Lyman the benefit of the doubt that it will turn out great once complete.

great code can only do so much. From waht we see currently, this appears to be boring to shoot. It is like they rehashed BMDK and just went for more flow but that inturn ended up with a game that has less character.

I agree that TWD was super boring from the start but it has a unique layout and feel to it so great code had a foundation to work with. Looking forward to Jack's stream on Friday, but as of now there is not much to work with.

One thing is for sure, if this is the depth of code currently... no wonder they could not let people flip it in Oct. Seems pretty obvious to me that this whole thing was whipped together last minute and they have been rushing to slap it together.

#405 7 years ago

Great job on capturing the look and sounds of the original series. LCD looks nice too. Thanks for the video!

#406 7 years ago
Quoted from fuseholder:

» YouTube video

Thanks for posting this video. Did anyone hear a bunch of custom call outs from Adam West & Burst Ward? I did not.

As a comparison: You hear Custom call outs from Ernie Hudson the moment you press start on Ghostbusters.

#407 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Yeah not sure why there are some haters on here....... And as said in the past give yourself time on a game before you judge it.

LMAO really?? Here is a quote from you after playing GB "several times" 6 months ago...

Quoted from musketd:

Anybody else out there just not that impressed with this game? I've played it several times and I mean it's ok but just not feeling it; too much stop and go and the rules are very uninspiring and boring to say the least and the way the right ramp is on the pro is a complete cop out by the design team

#408 7 years ago

Looks like a fun pin to me. Strange there are no callouts - just a bunch of the same sound effects. I would think that would be one of the easiest things to code in. Maybe the code is just way early and only has bare minimum to play a game. Still, no way this looks like a dud to me. Perhaps a lower sales volume due to price but nothing like a WWE. It has a cool theme, looks great, great new lcd display, potential for good code, and fun toys. I'm not sure what else you want. I'm not really into Batman or anything at this price point but I would definitely want to play one of these.

#409 7 years ago

does anybody find it odd that a bm sle costing 15000 came with .6 code. it says a lot about sterns commitment to code.

#410 7 years ago

One sound sums up the gameplay I've seen so far.

"Meh"

Nice looking LCD and playfield, but gameplay looks very boring and I don't see how code will make the flow and fun factor any better. Does every game start with, "On a bright sunny morning in Gotham City" and showing traffic? I see that getting stale very quick.

#411 7 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

One sound sums up the gameplay I've seen so far.
"Meh"
Nice looking LCD and playfield, but gameplay looks very boring and I don't see how code will make the flow and fun factor any better. Does every game start with, "On a bright sunny morning in Gotham City" and showing traffic? I see that getting stale very quick.

I think if this game was released a few years' ago and wasn't based off an existing design it might be more impressive but when you look at in comparison to what JJP is doing with Dialed In or even Hobbit it just doesn't compare and seems stale in comparison. For anyone saying the gameplay on BM66 looks epic and fun do yourself a favor and watch some Dialed In footage. DI completely trounces it in terms of gameplay, lighting, sounds and display effects. The lighting and Display aren't in the same league. Aside from having a big LCD I don't really see how this game is an improvement over games like GB, GOTLE, TWD, etc. For the price this game should have a light show comparable to GOT or STLE.

#412 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I used to make posts when WOZ was being released talking about how I would miss the creativity that goes into making great dots when all the manufacturers go to LCD. I was always in a minority and even accused of just being an obvious Stern defender and JJP basher for saying it.

Ahhh yes, the good old days!

I get the nostalgia feeling now of the Dmd dots but for me its way past time to move on. So many possibilities as it evolves. Cartoon animations mixed in on certain pins like Skb suggested with Dirty Donnie and ZY.

How cool would that have been with TWD too, mixing in the comics? I still just can't get over not being able to see heads being lopped off from the show scenes

LMS and Terminus are some great dots scenes. Overall I guess TWD is really good on dots, its just not a big deal to me whereas the Lcd is.

Anyhow, i'm thrilled the Lcd is here, love the size and placement for Stern and can't wait to see what Lyman does with it given all the content they have to work with.

#413 7 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Looks like a fun pin to me. Strange there are no callouts - just a bunch of the same sound effects. I would think that would be one of the easiest things to code in.

Nah, think of all the variables with voices. Which ones play when, what events cause them to randomize, which voices take precedent when you hit a bunch of switches in quick succession, which ones take precedent when modes are stacked....not to mention sifting thru thousands of voice clips from the show to find which ones work perfectly for gameplay events, and mixing in the custom callouts.

This game will most likey be callout city, but Lyman's gotta get the core gameplay programmed before they're peppered in there.

#414 7 years ago

People forget quickly how bare-bones these games are when they ship.

Fortunately, in brooklyn, we have a an operator who NEVER updates his code. He does a real service so we can all keep this in perspective - try playing GOT, Star Trek or Walking Dead's release code years after the games have come out and you'll realize how a year from now, these Batman videos will have almost zero relevance to the actual current gameplay.

#415 7 years ago
Quoted from fuseholder:

» YouTube video

After seeing the video I think all the rehash comments are ridiculous

#416 7 years ago
Quoted from chucksmith:

Thanks for posting this video. Did anyone hear a bunch of custom call outs from Adam West & Burst Ward? I did not.

In the second video from GAP I heard adam west say "extra ball". That was the only only one I heard so far.

#417 7 years ago

bm66joker (resized).jpgbm66joker (resized).jpg

#418 7 years ago

Color Screens now take an interesting turn with Stern.

We have seen how JJP Integrated with 3 games.

I have only WOZ, but I rarely look at the screen anymore.

On Batman, we see it, I believe as an extension of Dots.
The Purpose seems the same.

In Aliens, The Playfield screen integrates into the game notably as a tracker, and a feel of it being your weapons guidance, your
"tool" against an Alien.
The Large back box screen, Perhaps the same as Stern, but Interesting to see how we feel the 2 different games Grabs us.
Will Batman have enough Variety, as Well as Aliens, to not go Stale?
Will the clips add to the progression of Adrenaline and scoring, as code brings in events?

Im curious, because we all can enjoy opening and closing, as well as stopped ball video, but how much is for someone else watching, info,
or game play immersion.

Now, there is one more screen on Alien serving as info and animation.

Batman looks like it will be a Players game for scoring. Not the Best, Not the worst, one of the Nicest looking games...I applaud
Stern for Creating Art on this and GB as Superb.

But with so many choices.....I dont know yet if I want to let 2 Nice Sterns Go for any 1 New Game.....

I think Ill continue to procrastinate.

#419 7 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

After seeing the video I think all the rehash comments are ridiculous

Nobody expected any more or less of you, Jody.

Seriously though, it's not a rehash. Star Trek is far more of a recycled design from Spider-Man than this is of The Dark Knight. There are several games that should be pointed out as rehashed before this one should be. Ever take Sopranos and overlay its playfield on top of Lord of the Rings? Quite a bit of similarity there...but the games could hardly feel any different. Don't sweat the layout stuff too much, people.

#420 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Nobody expected any more or less of you, Jody.
Seriously though, it's not a rehash. Star Trek is far more of a recycled design from Spider-Man than this is of The Dark Knight. There are several games that should be pointed out as rehashed before this one should be. Ever take Sopranos and overlay its playfield on top of Lord of the Rings? Quite a bit of similarity there...but the games could hardly feel any different. Don't sweat the layout stuff too much, people.

OK Melvin let me in on the joke who is Jody

#421 7 years ago

Menus are good and familiar.

IMG_4033 (resized).JPGIMG_4033 (resized).JPG

IMG_4032 (resized).JPGIMG_4032 (resized).JPG

#422 7 years ago
Quoted from He-Man40:

Menus are good and familiar.

That's an outrageous outrage that has me outraged.

$15,000 for a game and they can't make a new menu?! They can't even make the menu in COLOR?!?!?!?!?!?!?

This is the final slap in the face. The pinball community has had enough from Stern, and they are learning the hard way as we turn our backs upon them en masse! Our hard-earned money is going elsewhere, where the color menus are.

#423 7 years ago

My first impressions?

1. The game looks amazing
2. The LCD screen shots are well thought through and brought back sweet childhood memories of watching the Batman show
3. From the flow of the silver ball in the game it's clearly not a Ritchie pin but better than some other designers' flow
4. I'm not sure how many times I would want to keep pressing the start button if the LCD screen wasn't there
5. As I watched the game I kept looking at the LCD screen. That's what caught my attention
6. But pinball is about what the ball is doing
7. I wonder how long it would take to get bored of any repetition happening on the screen? And thereby I'd stop looking at the screen?
8. The jury is out for me ... I won't pass a definitive verdict until I play it myself!

images-1 (resized).jpegimages-1 (resized).jpeg

#426 7 years ago

And everyone thought 10K would keep the flippers away.

#427 7 years ago

I gotta play it and take it all in, but my first thought was, wow, that's allot of open playfield.

#428 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's an outrageous outrage that has me outraged.
$15,000 for a game and they can't make a new menu?! They can't even make the menu in COLOR?!?!?!?!?!?!?
This is the final slap in the face. The pinball community has had enough from Stern, and they are learning the hard way as we turn our backs upon them en masse! Our hard-earned money is going elsewhere, where the color menus are.

Code can and likely will change that.

#429 7 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

Code can and likely will change that.

I think he's kidding.....

Side note...you mentioned you forgot to pickup your topper....was it ready ( and in a separate box, I would guess), or forgot to ask about it?

Just curious, as others have mentioned they were told toppers weren't ready yet ( my LE arrives tomorrow)....thanks..

#430 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I think he's kidding.....
Side note...you mentioned you forgot to pickup your topper....was it ready ( and in a separate box, I would guess), or forgot to ask about it?
Just curious, as others have mentioned they were told toppers weren't ready yet ( my LE arrives tomorrow)....thanks..

So a friend of mine mentioned that they were not ready yet. Which makes sense. I just thought I did not remember since mine never made it into the box/final stages of packaging.

#431 7 years ago

While not an early "I'm in" adopter, this game is certainly growing on me as more user experiences, videos and pics come in. Looking forward to giving it a try when one pops up near me on location.

#432 7 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

So a friend of mine mentioned that they were not ready yet. Which makes sense. I just thought I did not remember since mine never made it into the box/final stages of packaging.

No biggie....thanks for the insight....I'm sure it will make it shortly after if not w the game...

#433 7 years ago

Just watched GAP's videos (thanks!), and as a huge Batman fan when I was growing up (ask me about my Pez dispensers sometime), it looked like a fun game to play, but I'd never want to own one. What I thought was cool in the 60s just seems annoying to me now.

And here's what I kept thinking as I was watching it: What's more annoying, the beeping of the Batphone, or the ringing of the phone in Dialled In? It's a tough call...

#434 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Just watched GAP's videos (thanks!), and as a huge Batman fan when I was growing up (ask me about my Pez dispensers sometime), it looked like a fun game to play, but I'd never want to own one. What I thought was cool in the 60s just seems annoying to me now.
And here's what I kept thinking as I was watching it: What's more annoying, the beeping of the Batphone, or the ringing of the phone in Dialled In? It's a tough call...

Until they get the voices in there, the audio definitely comes off as annoying.

#435 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Until they get the voices in there, the audio definitely comes off as annoying.

Good point. Didn't even notice the lack of callouts!

#436 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

What's more annoying, the beeping of the Batphone, or the ringing of the phone in Dialled In? It's a tough call...

Not close for me...BM is a toy....dialed in takes f**king selfies, AND majority of theme is around a phone ( HUGE one on the play field) Batphones don't count as real....can't dial out....

#437 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

dialed in takes f**king selfies,

I am completely outraged that a company is trying to make a fun pinball. I saw many people laughing and having fun at expo when selfie mode was activated. Not me. I'm into serious pins only! None of this rubbish millennial stuff. Selfies are for my teenage daughter! Pinball is for 40+ year old guys! They don't take selfies so no company should put it in their pin.

(this is what people sound like in my head when they complain about this stuff )

#438 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

I am completely outraged that a company is trying to make a fun pinball. I saw many people laughing and having fun at expo when selfie mode was activated. Not me. I'm into serious pins only! None of this rubbish millennial stuff. Selfies are for my teenage daughter! Pinball is for 40+ year old guys! They don't take selfies so no company should put it in their pin.
(this is what people sound like in my head when they complain about this stuff )

Thanks for explaining that dude. We couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic.

#439 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Thanks for explaining that dude. We couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic.

Was he being sarcastic? It's all good.... I played that machine a fair amount of expo....great machine....just not for me....ever...

#440 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

What I thought was cool in the 60s just seems annoying to me now.

So no Woodstock pin for you? What a buzzkill.

#441 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So no Woodstock pin for you? What a buzzkill.

Nope. But I will take a Beatles pin. Still not annoying.

#442 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

But I will take a Beatles pin. Still not annoying.

The Beatles were great. But you have to wonder how much pinball could screw up their legacy 50 years later. Ringo on a stick anyone?

I guess I prefer they stick with these minor league bands they've been doing the last few years.

#444 7 years ago

I vote we add the 66 in there.

#445 7 years ago

When it first aired it was called Batman.

Route 66 was an entirely different show.

#446 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I vote we add the 66 in there.

Agreed.....I was tired....BM66 it is ( of course)...and an awesome toy!!!!

#447 7 years ago

Looks like Gomez did a god job on the layout and it will not be like ghostbusters where you have to have a doz n different fixes and adjustments to get the game to play right, because of fatal flaws in the geometry of the game

#448 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Looks like Gomez did a god job on the layout and it will not be like ghostbusters where you have to have a doz n different fixes and adjustments to get the game to play right, because of fatal flaws in the geometry of the game

??? The geomerty of GB is fantastic. Possibly one of the best 2 flipper Stern games ever! The only real design flaw is the right ramp and with a little adjustment and practice it is not a deal breaker. The other shots, forced passive passing, great post passing, and really nice foundational ruleset that perfectlt matches the design... GB is so far from what you describe.

You either have only played poorly setup examples or need to work on your flipper skillz. GB is tough but it is a players game.

#449 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

??? The geomerty of GB is fantastic. Possibly one of the best 2 flipper Stern games ever! The only real design flaw is the right ramp and with a little adjustment and practice it is not a deal breaker. The other shots, forced passive passing, great post passing, and really nice foundational ruleset that perfectlt matches the design... GB is so far from what you describe.
You either have only played poorly setup examples or need to work on your flipper skillz. GB is tough but it is a players game.

I have played and set up several ghostbusters and others can attest to the flaws and all the airball fixes that are needed for the game to play right, but hey to each his own. I think there is even a huge thread on here with ghostbusters issues

#450 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I have played and set up several ghostbusters and others can attest to the flaws and all the airball fixes that are needed for the game to play right, but hey to each his own. I think there is even a huge thread on here with ghostbusters issues

yeah, I know about all the ghosting insert issues, but for geometry I only did a few things to make ours play really well.

#1 was ound up the outlane guides so they are slightly taller = no more/ few ball hops over them
#2 was adjust the right ramp entrance so a smoother shot
#3 was adjust the drop target springs to be a bit snappier.

I honestly cant come up with any geometry flaws on the game. Every shot on the game is well laid out, has really nice feeds, and pushes you to be a better player. JAFL, but John did a really great job on the geometry of the game and espescially the feeds which give choices for passive or active catching and control. Code then challenges you to know your shots and make the right choices.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Haddonfield, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,344 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-whats-your-impression/page/9?hl=rocketpin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.