20170316_125205 (resized).jpg
IMG_2980 (resized).PNG
IMG_2979 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0142 (resized).JPG
heavenly-bm66 (resized).jpg
laser-beam-sharks (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,344 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 47.
#1601 7 years ago

The comment about if the game had an LCD it would feel like a budget game hits it on the head. It feels and plays like a Costco bargain game not a hyped up 30th anniversary theme. Stern needs to start doing the right thing before they lose more and more customers.

#1602 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

-Manufactured rarity
-Metallic cabinet decals
-A batman flashlight on top
-Red stripes in the trim
-A handful of $5 Hotwheel toys on the playfield
-The ability to say you're one of 80 people who had to beg to give Stern $15k for an untested, uncoded pinball machine.

Thank you for speaking on behalf of all SLE owners on why we bought the machine. As an SLE owner, my reasoning was simple. I am a fan of the TV series and the SLE (to me) is one beautiful machine. At the end of the day, we all get to spend our hard earned cash on the things that make us happy. BM66SLE isn't for everyone.

#1603 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Not looking for sympathy. Of course I know this hobby, at whatever level, is a complete luxury and anyone who can afford to buy their own pinball machine is by definition wealthy (on a global scale). The fact I can afford to buy NIB Sterns probably means I shouldn't complain at all.
Just disappointed in Stern. B66 is a dream theme . The art is perfect. The whole LE collectible thing is great. The whole package on paper is perfect. But to a certain extent they tripped at the line.
You're 100% right - they are controlled by investors, but I guess I'm seeing first hand how this is overriding their passion for pinball (or at least the people who work for them that have a passion for pinball). They're targeting collectors, and their market research has told them what collectors want, but in reality it is not getting past the idea stage. It's not translating into a real collectable product. They give lip service to the product being high end and collectible with X & Y features, but by the time it gets to the production line, they cut back.
I said when this game was being hyped originally that Stern set a really high bar with B66, and it remains to be seen whether they could jump that high. They got close, but not quite.
And in most cases it's for ridiculous things that are inexpensive, yet make all the difference to a collector. Like the Bat Symbol sticker instead of laser cut alloy (what, $1 part?) or the crap Hotwheels car instead of a high quality one ($5 upgrade?), Perspex instead of wireform over the left ramp ($10 upgrade?), lack of another support on the left wireform ($10 upgrade?). It's these authentic details that make the difference. AUTHENTICITY! Cut back costs by all means by making the production line more efficient, moving the power supply to a location that overall makes more sense, improving the electronics to be smaller and more powerful. But why skimp on the small authentic details that mean something to a collector?
You say I have lots of options? My original post said I want a great theme, that plays fast and NIB? So my options are....?
I can still express my disappointment in Stern and continue to buy their product. I want to continue buying Stern but I also want them to lift their game.
At the moment they know there is no option. To a certain extent they are cashing in their huge goodwill. Obviously you can only do that for so long until the goodwill dries up or there are other viable options.
I think Im going to sit down and write a Dear Gary letter. Might enlist KPG's help.

Great post. I agree 100%

#1604 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Have you seen that pic of the turntable mech? It's huge and complex. Unfortunately - the player never sees that, so it seems like an empty and mechanically ho-hum playfield. Players want to see the mechanical fun up top if possible.

Oh, no, yeah, I'd imagine it's extremely complex, and the turntable is definitely the highlight of the game. Something about the rest of it feels kind of empty and flimsy - empty sides, empty back. It needs a little bling, like some spotlights or some Gotham City building plastics, idk. All the sparseness hurts it. I also find the playfield art to be a little incoherent but I'm sure as the code comes along it'll get better at directing your attention.

#1605 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

"However, Stern Pinball has been around for 30 years and is having major playfield issues and is communicating poorly about the whole matter while charging more money then ever for games. There's no excuse and it's a crappy way to treat customers. Stern should at least let customers know what the situation is and be more transparent."
I know you know how many times I've said
The exact same thing.
EVERY release by every pin maker is gonna have some issues.
It doesn't bother me, didn't with Woz either at the time, when I was a huge JJP supporter
And btw, your comment about Andrew taking his time so he can deliver the perfect error free pin is crazy. He could delay another 5 years tweaking it and it will still have problems
Despite what everybody is saying, the PF issues will pass and Stern will keep selling a ton of pins in 2017.
Why? Because pinheads are some of the most fickle people on earth, myself included

So... haven't heard much about your BM66LE iceman.

How is it? Are you satisfied it was worth the asking price?

How's the playfield and general build quality?

#1606 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Oh, no, yeah, I'd imagine it's extremely complex, and the turntable is definitely the highlight of the game. Something about the rest of it feels kind of empty and flimsy - empty sides, empty back. It needs a little bling, like some spotlights or some Gotham City building plastics, idk. All the sparseness hurts it. I also find the playfield art to be a little incoherent but I'm sure as the code comes along it'll get better at directing your attention.

When I first saw pics of the playfield, I could tell this game was designed and made to put big dollars in Stern's pockets before year end 2016. It's literally a Pro machine, but they got people to spend $15K for a machine that had $400 in extra upgrades at best. Literally, it's such an empty playfield and there's nothing "special" on it besides a gimmicky turn table.

Gary is laughing right to the bank right now. It's no wonder it wasn't playable when it was revealed, and why they collected deposits and started shipping it before showing gameplay.

#1607 7 years ago

Just bc that lazy susan is complicated mechanically dont mean its a good toy rigjt?

#1608 7 years ago

Very satisfied. Very happy with my purchase

Thx for asking

#1609 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Thank you for speaking on behalf of all SLE owners on why we bought the machine.

I did no such thing. I was answering someone's question about what you get for the extra money on the Super LE. My list was factual, and had nothing to do with why anyone bought it.

#1610 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Just bc that lazy susan is complicated mechanically dont mean its a good toy rigjt?

Exactly. A toy's value is all in how it feels to shoot and how it interacts with the player. This turntable might be the most mechanically innovative toy Stern has done - but the player doesn't "feel it". Meanwhile, look at Ironman - its main toy is a $5 Hasbro figure, an up-down motor, and a magnet...but when you combine that with brilliant audio choreography, killer light show, and "magnet attacks"...a cheap toy suddenly feels like an incredible battle!

#1611 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I did no such thing. I was answering someone's question about what you get for the extra money on the Super LE. My list was factual, and had nothing to do with why anyone bought it.

Correct, and here's another fact: SLE buyers got taken for a ride.

#1612 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Correct, and here's another fact: SLE buyers got taken for a ride.

Yes we did. A ride in the best looking Batmobile cabinet!

#1613 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

My apologies. Again, BMLE66 isn't for everyone.

#1614 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Yes we did. A ride in the best looking Batmobile cabinet!

You can't play a cabinet. How's dat code?

#1615 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You can't play a cabinet. How's dat code?

Coming along quite nicely. XM was horrible code at the start but evolved into to some pretty great code. Patience my friend.

#1616 7 years ago

The turn table will be awesome when fully integrated into the game.

The code will obviously be Lyman awesome

The theme is great

The new LCD is spectacular

And the artwork is second only to my GBLE

Fun times!

#1617 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

My apologies. Again, BMSLE66 isn't for everyone.

#1618 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Coming along quite nicely. XM was horrible code at the start but evolved into to some pretty great code. Patience my friend.

Well if you consider that "great", you'll be easy to please I guess.

Also Xmen was less than half the price.

#1619 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

You mean the code with a final version that has a dead end where you can't play the villains anymore? Oh yeah, that turned out great.

(I own an X-Men and like it a lot, but they never finished fixing the bugs and rushed out a final version where you can't get to the wizard modes again).

#1620 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well if you consider that "great", you'll be easy to please I guess.

No doubt. I am not a hard core pinball guy. Most of my enjoyment comes from restoring these pieces of artwork. It's rewarding to see family and friends enjoy playing. Hopefully, BM66 will evolve into a machine you can enjoy playing someday.

#1621 7 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

You mean the code with a final version that has a dead end where you can't play the villains anymore? Oh yeah, that turned out great.
(I own an X-Men and like it a lot, but they never finished fixing the bugs and rushed out a final version where you can't get to the wizard modes again).

You guys are at a level of play that I will never achieve. X-Men, Avengers, BM66....all good to me. I enjoy playing them and they look great. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

Continue on with your discussion, not much more I can add.

#1622 7 years ago
Quoted from judremy:

I'm glad you posted that I have been looking at an xmen pro, think I might reconsider knowing that, thanks for the heads up Judremy.

#1623 7 years ago

This is such a nitpick but it drives me crazy that they're using such awful fonts. I think I used that typeface as a header for a biology paper about hamsters in the eighth grade. The crappy serif font on the "Mystery" tv animation is particularly egregious.

#1624 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

This is such a nitpick but it drives me crazy that they're using such awful fonts. I think I used that typeface as a header for a biology paper about hamsters in the eighth grade. The crappy serif font on the "Mystery" tv animation is particularly egregious.

Hard to disagree with this point of view. Seems very "placeholder-y."

#1625 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The theme is great
Fun times!

So, reading between the lines:

The turn table is not awesome, but you are hoping it will be eventually
The code sucks right now, but since it's Lyman, you are hoping it will turn out great
The photoshop artwork isn't as nice as the Zombi Yeti artwork of GB (no surprise)

I'd like to hear whats so fun about it in its current form?

#1626 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

The code sucks right now, but since it's Lyman, you are hoping it will turn out great
The photoshop artwork isn't as nice as the Zombi Yeti artwork of GB (no surprise)

The ONLY thing that's fun currently for me is trying to get a 4 villain stack so you can one-shot them all to jail. THAT is actually pretty challenging and really fun. But that can't be the only attraction, so the code needs lots of attention.

And, for the record, moving the bumper pad to the inside left of the left ramp FIXES the terrible left orbit shot. Anyone with a BM66 should do it at once.

#1627 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

That's another way to put it. Certainly the way you view things in general obviously

Like I said. I'm very happy with my purchase

#1628 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Hopefully, BM66 will evolve into a machine you can enjoy playing someday.

Id never pay $15k for something where I have to hope it evolves into a playable game. Video game buyers would never accept this on games that sell for $10-$60. Imagine if the new Street Fighter came out with one playable chracter and the punch buttons didn't do anything...and no timeline for completion. That's the equivalent ...but at an insane price. It's just unacceptable to release a game that isn't a game yet. It's Lyman so I'm sure it will get there ...but again $15k for something that needs to "get there"? F that shit forever. Never doing it. Ever. That's rewarding bad behavior.

#1629 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

taking the glass off and rolling balls by hand I think

#1630 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Hard to disagree with this point of view. Seems very "placeholder-y."

Must be someone here that uses Facebook with Lyman on their friends list that could ask that very question if it's placeholder or not? I just finished watching the coast2coast video with Lyman playing TWD and you can tell by the way he tasks he loves what he does and his thought to coding is real deep he doesn't do anything without a genuine purpose.

#1631 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Id never pay $15k for something where I have to hope it evolves into a playable game.

Have you ever bought a NIB?
If so, was the code complete?
If not, what did you pay for said game?

#1632 7 years ago
Quoted from xfassa:

Have you ever bought a NIB?
If so, was the code complete?
If not, what did you pay for said game?

OK, here's my NIB history:

-Family Guy (didn't really pay for it, but it was selling for about $3700 NIB). Code was relatively complete on launch...in the sense that the vision behind the game was all in there, all modes were there. Updates were quick and often, and was mostly scoring tweaks, new audio, typo/font fixes. Minor things. No one who bought this game complained about the code.

-Wheel of Fortune. I bought it on clearance NIB for $2450, knowing it had incomplete code. Still - WOF's "incomplete" was way more complex and complete than most of the games these days. Still a totally enjoyable game...and for the price I paid? Not worth complaining about.

-Iron Man. I believe it was around $4000 or less. Complete on launch...there were updates, but very minor

-Batman Dark Knight. Also around $4000. I bought the 2010 later run after Lyman did a huge code update. Game originally came out in 2008...I waited for code.

-Avatar LE. I think it was $5100. Complete at launch. Think it had minor updates.

-Transformers Combo LE. I believe it was $5300. I'd say it was complete at launch, even though the "Optimus Roadblock" ruined the game IMO. There was eventually an update that added an option to fix this.

-AC/DC Premium. I think it was $5800. I bought it after a big update hit that was a game changer. There were still more updates after that, but I bought it when the code was in a place that made the game really special.

-X-Men LE. I think it was $6200. WORST code EVER at launch. Updates made it even worse and buggier. This game was a f*cking NIGHTMARE. It finally got to the point of being playable...some people love the game...I can't stand it. It's dead to me.

-Metallica LE. $6800. Now, this one's like Batman 66 sorta...launched with pretty bare code, all the Crank It Up stuff wasn't there...I think it was 6 to 8 months until the big update hit that turned it into the game it is today.

-Star Trek LE. $7300. So ST is where I started to finally burn out on being a beta tester. Notice how the prices keep getting higher...so naturally I have higher expectations. Like X-Men, there was a lot of "stuff" in the code...lots of modes...but none of it really gelled...plus it had a lot of bugs, missing features (the Asteroid flashers had no code...not sure if they ever got fixed), and other annoying aspects. It finally got a major update when Dwight jumped on it...and it seems some people are happy with it. To me, it's like X-Men....it was close, but misses the mark.

So there you go...I've had ups and downs with NIB games and code. All the Sterns I still have are Keith and Lyman coded games. Lucky for you - you've got a Lyman!!! That being said, for me - spending that much on a single game that's in early early beta mode...just can't do it. It's rewarding a company with big riches for not delivering on a very basic principal: This is a game. Game's have rules. Rules have to be in the game.

If I ever consider B66 for my collection, it'll be a Premium when the code is done.

#1633 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

OK, here's my NIB history:

Thank you for the transparency. My point was we have all fallen into the trap from time to time (paying for an incomplete game). My excuse is that I'm just a sucker for every super hero machine..... Lord help me, I'm just not that bright (Courtesy Homer Simpson).

btw...if some of my comments were way out there, please keep this in mind. I was replacing my PEI layer on the 3D printer bed and the old 3M adhesive was letting off some nasty odor. Ugh.....

#1634 7 years ago

You don't have to apologize for buying what you like or the reasons behind it Xfassa.

You have a kick ass BM66SLE 1 of 80 super pin

Who gives a F what anybody else thinks

#1635 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Must be someone here that uses Facebook with Lyman on their friends list that could ask that very question if it's placeholder or not? I just finished watching the coast2coast video with Lyman playing TWD and you can tell by the way he tasks he loves what he does and his thought to coding is real deep he doesn't do anything without a genuine purpose.

I'm not getting too hung up on details until 1.00 is out and there's a real release. ALL this alpha-level release stuff is subject to change.

That said, I would like to see the implementation of negative hurryups as an occasional mystery award.

#1636 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

So... haven't heard much about your BM66LE iceman.
How is it? Are you satisfied it was worth the asking price?
How's the playfield and general build quality?

Where the hell is the guy eating the popcorn icon at???

#1637 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Very satisfied. Very happy with my purchase
Thx for asking

#1638 7 years ago

I'm really enjoying sitting this one out and REALLY enjoying my Metallica Premium I picked up yesterday. Great game

#1639 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The theme is great
Fun times!

Did you get your game fixed already iceman? I'm not trying to be funny or a smart ass either, just curious? If so, how do you like it? I am gonna play one in about two weeks from now, hope it's worth the long drive.

#1640 7 years ago

A dream theme for some people... and with Lyman as lead programmer. Who wouldn't buy such a combo early? There is zippo to defend or crap on for buying and buying early.

#1641 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Did you get your game fixed already iceman? I'm not trying to be funny or a smart ass either, just curious? If so, how do you like it? I am gonna play one in about two weeks from now, hope it's worth the long drive.

Replacement parts being sent Monday.

I'm finding customer service to be excellent and very prompt

#1642 7 years ago

I wonder why Rare left out his TBL Nib purchase?

What a hypocrite. I would never spend $15k on a game that isn't even a game yet.

But $10k is fine on a game that may never be finished

#1643 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

Do you know how much Stern would have to start charging if they moved to an upgraded font?

#1644 7 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Do you know how much Stern would have to start charging if they moved to an upgraded font?

Yeah, I do, actually. In my experience, for most fonts in a commercial use, it's like $200 one-time license fee to use in all the games. Virtually nothing in the big picture.

#1645 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, I do, actually. In my experience, for most fonts in a commercial use, it's like $200 one-time license fee to use in all the games. Virtually nothing in the big picture.

Soo.... basically they would tag an extra $500 onto every game to cover this expense. Got it

#1646 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Replacement parts being sent Monday.
I'm finding customer service to be excellent and very prompt

I've had to call them once and I gotta say that (Chaz?) or whatever his name is, is the best customer service that I have ever gotten before. I would guess that it is just his nature and work ethic rather than the company demanding that he be that way based on everything thing else I've seen out of them. Customers are lucky to have him and the other guy working there both. They deserve a raise, I don't care how much money they make!

#1647 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I've had to call them once and I gotta say that (Chaz?) or whatever his name is, is the best customer service that I have ever gotten before. I would guess that it is just his nature and work ethic rather than the company demanding that he be that way based on everything thing else I've seen out of them. Customers are lucky to have him and the other guy working there both. They deserve a raise, I don't care how much money they make!

Yeah that dude Chas is happy go lucky. He must be on some feel good drugs to put up with this crowd and maintain that great attitude

#1648 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Yeah that dude Chas is happy go lucky. He must be on some feel good drugs to put up with this crowd and maintain that great attitude

I would say that most people treat him fairly because A. He doesn't jack you around and B. Most pinheads have already dealt with him in the past and have a lot of respect for him. A person gets the respect that they earn, and he is a perfect example of that.

#1649 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I would say that most people treat him fairly because A. He doesn't jack you around and B. Most pinheads have already dealt with him in the past and have a lot of respect for him. A person gets the respect that they earn, and he is a perfect example of that.

We get that don't we

I tried to explain that to poor Kpg. All he really did was F himself and delay getting his issue resolved. Just human nature

Does anybody really think Stern was just ignoring Trent? No

Maybe try reading between the lines

#1650 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Does anybody really think Stern was just ignoring Trent? No
Maybe try reading between the lines

What's your theory, then? I doubt you think they were minutes away from shipping out the replacement playfield they promised, when golly gee he really started making noises?

Respect goes both ways, and they didn't exactly try to earn his.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
There are 2,344 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-whats-your-impression/page/33 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.