20170316_125205 (resized).jpg
IMG_2980 (resized).PNG
IMG_2979 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0142 (resized).JPG
heavenly-bm66 (resized).jpg
laser-beam-sharks (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,344 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 47.
#1501 7 years ago

any news on yours?

Quoted from PiperPinball:

Some BM66le owners I know personally are having no pf issues. Maybe its a random issue with some play-fields?
I know about mine on WED.

#1502 7 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

My TWDLE built in Nov '14 has little dimples all over the magnet cores. I don't think it's a big deal.

Both of my TWD magnet cores have those dimples as well.

And guess what? So does my Iron Man, which is an original HUO IM, not a VE.

#1503 7 years ago
Quoted from scott_freeman:

any news on yours?

About a 100 games on it. No dimpling or any other issues. No airballs either. Looks and plays great! A very fun pin! However, the current code needs improvements.

IMG_1714 (resized).JPGIMG_1714 (resized).JPG

IMG_1715 (resized).JPGIMG_1715 (resized).JPG

IMG_1716 (resized).JPGIMG_1716 (resized).JPG

IMG_1717 (resized).JPGIMG_1717 (resized).JPG

IMG_1718 (resized).JPGIMG_1718 (resized).JPG

IMG_1722 (resized).JPGIMG_1722 (resized).JPG

IMG_1725 (resized).JPGIMG_1725 (resized).JPG

IMG_1724 (resized).JPGIMG_1724 (resized).JPG

IMG_1728 (resized).JPGIMG_1728 (resized).JPG

IMG_1731 (resized).JPGIMG_1731 (resized).JPG

#1504 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Both of my TWD magnet cores have those dimples as well.
And guess what? So does my Iron Man, which is an original HUO IM, not a VE.

My Walking Dead does also. I noticed it tonight while I was waxing the playfield. Doesn't seem to hurt anything?

#1505 7 years ago

About a 100 games on it. No dimpling or any other issues

If you have played 1 game, you have dimples.

Here is a mag core from a TWD with over 70k plays. The older style cores last about 10k plays and need to be replaced due to mushrooming.

IMG_0448 (resized).JPGIMG_0448 (resized).JPG

#1506 7 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Here is a mag core from a TWD with over 70k plays. The older style cores last about 10k plays and need to be replaced due to mushrooming.

70 thousand plays for real??? Is the playfield still in good shape?

#1507 7 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

70,000?
Jesus. At $1 a play that's that's 4 and 2/3rds SLEs.

#1508 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

70,000?

There's probably a decent location split in there, though. Still, impressive count.

#1509 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

70,000?

If the TWD is 2 years old that's about 96 plays per day! Who says location pinball is dying.

#1510 7 years ago

However, the current code needs improvements.

it doesn't even count as "needing improvements"... more like "needs code". Very bare bones.

On the bright side, every code drop should significantly add features, not just tweaks, so it will be like getting a whole new game every time.

#1511 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

it doesn't even count as "needing improvements"... more like "needs code". Very bare bones.
On the bright side, every code drop should significantly add features, not just tweaks, so it will be like getting a whole new game every time.

Agreed! Something to look forward too!

Frolic, hows everything with your BM66LE? > any issues, hang ups, etc? We adjusted the left ramp to minimize vibration by adding some gel pads under the wire form in the back. Ill post pictures a little later today.

We have lots of new mods planned in the coming weeks for BM66!

#1512 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Wake up Frax. It was a joke. Now go put a billion on 66 at nickelrama

I just want to point out the ridiculousness that this is exactly what happened... just now saw this.. LOL....don't mess with me on Batman 66.

#1513 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Shit, sorry to hear that calprog & the issues you have had out the box I genuinely hope Stern make it right for you asap!
I'm dreading the arrival of my LE, Sterns overall quality has hit rock bottom, what the hell is going on, I have always had solid products from Stern and suddenly it's gone to rat shit on every aspect of the line, doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

I felt the same for my Ghostbusters Premium mate but its been bulletproof (touch wood!).

#1514 7 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Dimples are part of life.

70k plays already on twd. No f ing way.

#1515 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Dimples are part of life.
70k plays already on twd. No f ing way.

I have other Sterns with more plays than that

Quoted from Who-Dey:

70 thousand plays for real??? Is the playfield still in good shape?

The playfield is in pretty good shape. A couple of inserts have ghosted like you would see on an WMS game that has had a lot of plays but that is to be expected with this many plays.

#1516 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

More like you got 10% of a game and each code drop gives you another 10% until Stern finishes up with 80-90% and calls it complete.

#1517 7 years ago

BM66 was rushed into production and brought forward to be released in time for "Anniversary" taglines, which pushed the release of Aerosmith back, it clearly didn't give Lyman much time at all on the game specific code, the non flipping game that was revealed is proof it wasn't ready on even the most basic level.

Wasn't Lyman the one that's helped design and code Spike 2? If so he was probably up to his neck coding that and then Stern tell him btw while your still finishing up the system coding we are bringing your next game forward a few months, give the man a chance to catch up, he will make good on the code he always does with the games he works on.

Should Stern have released such an expensive game with such bare code, hell no but business is business and they needed to capitalise on the timing of Anniversaries, supposedly Aerosmith is going to ship with complete code as it was pushed back to make way for BM66 if that's true and Stern give Lyman plenty of time to finish code on BM66, its a win win for both set of buyers and its been a long time since that's happened with new Stern releases back to back.

#1518 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

BM66 if that's true and Stern give Lyman plenty of time to finish code on BM66, its a win win for both set of buyers and its been a long time since that's happened with new Stern releases back to back.

"If" that is one of the reasons, I'm sitting on the sideline, to see where this game lands. Plenty of time time to jump in, if in the future things get ironed out!

#1519 7 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

I have other Sterns with more plans than that

So what are you complaining about. You've made a fortune on routing Stern pins!

#1520 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So what are you complaining about. You've made a fortune on routing Stern pins!

Not complaining. There was talk of how the new mag cores hold up and they hold up nicely. Was providing an example. Should of been more specific. The old cores suck and get trashed often

Also, don't assume I have made a fortune just with a play count. 28 of my 38 pins on route are .25 with tokens mixed in. Parts and labor add up quickly.

#1521 7 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

Not complaining. There was talk of how the new mag cores hold up and they hold up nicely. Was providing an example. Should of been more specific. The old cores suck and get trashed often
Also, don't assume I have made a fortune just with a play count. 28 of my 38 pins on route are .25 with tokens mixed in. Parts and labor add up quickly.

Wow. A quarter? That's cheap

#1522 7 years ago

About a 100 games on it. No dimpling or any other issues. No airballs either. Looks and plays great! A very fun pin! However, the current code needs improvements.

Now that T2 sure grabs your attention...almost missed the BM66 in that picture!

#1523 7 years ago

Had the chance to play a few games of BM66LE at Logan's Arcade in Chicago Saturday while I was in town. Couldn't hear any of the music or callouts, but I had a blast playing the game. Even a crappy player like me could tell the code was pretty barebones at the moment, but I have no doubt Stern won't polish it up in the coming months.

#1524 7 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

I have other Sterns with more plays than that.

Dude, c'mon... you don't know what the letter K after a number means, do you?

#1525 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Dude, c'mon... you don't know what the letter K after a number means, do you?

And you don't know his business. He fully knows what he's talking about.

#1526 7 years ago
Quoted from stangbat:

And you don't know his business. He fully knows what he's talking about.

huh.... if a pin stays on for 10 years non-stop, and it gets about 20 games per day, each and every day, than that number is completely doable, so i really don't know his business!

btw... you can mess with the numbers as well (5 years/40 games/day - 4 years/50 games/day - 2 years/100 games/day...)

When TWD was released?

#1527 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

huh.... if a pin stays on for 10 years non-stop, and it gets about 20 games per day, each and every day, than that number is completely doable, so i really don't know his business!

He's an operator here in KC (as am I) and at least one other location in IA. His games are in a very popular barcade here in KC and are priced at 25 cents/play, even the new Sterns. Do the math however you like, but they get the hell played out of them. He's well known here in the community, he's posted plenty of pics and info here about his games and the amount of play they get. So if he says he has other Sterns with >70k plays on them, I believe it.

#1528 7 years ago

Got bored after the third ball, needs a lot of code. No interactivity, sense of urgency or memorable call outs/shots yet! I don't even think code will help it much. The left ramp air ball protector is an after thought for sure. Crane toy was a bit of fun as I like moving targets like BBH.
I did however, loooooooove the size of LCD. The artwork is very true to era, but definitely not my cup of tea, very camp.
AEROSMITH is looking the shot though, fingers crossed.

#1529 7 years ago

which version has the red wire ramp and which has the blue one?

#1530 7 years ago
Quoted from Hasi:

LE = Red
SLE = Blue
Premium = Chrome

#1531 7 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

LE = Red
SLE = Blue
Premium = Chrome

thx, i prefer the blue one. :p

#1532 7 years ago
Quoted from Hasi:

thx, i prefer the blue one. :p

I'm sure you can get the ramp powder coated for a lot less then the $7k difference between a Premium and SLE.

1 week later
#1533 7 years ago
Quoted from Hasi:

I am powder coating my LE ramp a purply blue to match Batmans cowl

#1534 7 years ago

Finally got a chance to play a BM 66 premium at Rock Fantasy. My first impression is that the colors were nice and the screen was nice and vibrant. However, the game felt stripped down, even much more than any stern pro version i can think of, and the game play was mediocre at best. The play-field was sparse and the lazy susan did not provide any satisfying shots. The fluttering of the ramp was annoying and the characters in the screen would move their lips and you could not hear them talking. At one point, it kept on playing a scene and my friend thought it was broken. I think that Stern not only rushed this game into production, but also did a disservice to what could have been a great theme. The crane just seemed to become active on a random basis and was more of an eye soar than a cool toy. When I read about the problems that people are having out of the box, I cant see how any one can defend Sterns lack of quality control, or be told to be patient and Stern will make it right. If any high price item, outside of pinball, had quality of issues similar to Stern, they would not be in business for long. The picture is the large dimples, worse than any thirty year old game that I have, on the BM 66 that is about two weeks old.

IMG_2492 (resized).JPGIMG_2492 (resized).JPG

#1535 7 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Finally got a chance to play a BM 66 premium at Rock Fantasy. My first impression is that the colors were nice and the screen was nice and vibrant. However, the game felt stripped down, even much more than any stern pro version i can think of, and the game play was mediocre at best. The play-field was sparse and the lazy susan did not provide any satisfying shots. The fluttering of the ramp was annoying and the characters in the screen would move their lips and you could not hear them talking. At one point, it kept on playing a scene and my friend thought it was broken. I think that Stern not only rushed this game into production, but also did a disservice to what could have been a great theme. The crane just seemed to become active on a random basis and was more of an eye soar than a cool toy. When I read about the problems that people are having out of the box, I cant see how any one can defend Sterns lack of quality control, or be told to be patient and Stern will make it right. If any high price item, outside of pinball, had quality of issues similar to Stern, they would not be in business for long. The picture is the large dimples, worse than any thirty year old game that I have, on the BM 66 that is about two weeks old.

I'd say that's an accurate description other than the dimples that you are talking about. I didn't know it either but according to the experienced guys on here they are completely normal. I wouldn't have believed it but after reading and getting educated on the subject and watching how the dimpling is doing on my new machines, I believe them. A+ on the art and the theme but D's and F's on everything else, especially marketing, code, and the obvious lack of testing on the game before it shipped. Hopefully with code updates my mind will change eventually, but for the ridiculous price people deserved much much more.

#1536 7 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

the characters in the screen would move their lips and you could not hear them talking. At one point, it kept on playing a scene and my friend thought it was broken. I think that Stern not only rushed this game into production, but also did a disservice to what could have been a great theme.

Code. Will clearly be fixed. The theme integration so far is excellent, and still on .65 pre-release code.

Quoted from jkashani:

The crane just seemed to become active on a random basis and was more of an eye soar than a cool toy.

Learn the rules. The crane is great and by no means random.

Quoted from jkashani:

The picture is the large dimples, worse than any thirty year old game that I have, on the BM 66 that is about two weeks old.

Obviously you haven't unboxed a game in the last couple of years.

As for the QC, I agree - Stern needs to lift its game. All the annoying QC issues you raise can be fixed, but the point is they shouldn't have to be for the price.

Disclaimer: I own a B66LE and like it.

#1537 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Code. Will clearly be fixed. The theme integration so far is excellent, and still on .65 pre-release code.

v0.68 dropped today.

#1538 7 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

v0.68 dropped today.

Just updating it now.

Sounds like the game jkashani was playing might have been on .61 lol.

#1539 7 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Disclaimer: I own a B66LE and like it.

Anybody own the game and not like it?

#1540 7 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

A number of these have changed hands which suggests the original owner wasn't happy. I'm already the 2nd owner on mine. Do like it in its current state? Not really, but my kids love it which is why I bought it. I don't see how anyone can deny that the code is pathetic on this game as even in the current version (0.68) major features still don't do anything, and many of the animations are lacking. I'm sure the code will improve with time. The shots are there, tut there are also a lot of stuck ball issues related to the mech and its not clear to me how those will be addressed. I think some of the issues with dimpling are over blown, or at least I don't have these issues on my game.

#1541 7 years ago
Quoted from pipes:

Don't mean to be a Debby downer but I owned it and sold it at a pretty good loss after 2-3 weeks. I had the premium.

#1542 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I'd say that's an accurate description other than the dimples that you are talking about. I didn't know it either but according to the experienced guys on here they are completely normal. I wouldn't have believed it but after reading and getting educated on the subject and watching how the dimpling is doing on my new machines, I believe them. A+ on the art and the theme but D's and F's on everything else, especially marketing, code, and the obvious lack of testing on the game before it shipped. Hopefully with code updates my mind will change eventually, but for the ridiculous price people deserved much much more.

I have some older games and some newer ones (BM66, GBLE). They all dimple, but I do think there is a bit of a difference in how it shows up. If you look at the artwork on the older games, they usually used darker colors and/or a very busy playfield (yes, there are exceptions, and there is no need to point them out to me). Newer games are using brighter colors, and a more polished surface, which makes the dimples stand out. Now before everyone tells me I am smoking something illegal, take a look at your own pins. Sit 2 of them side-by-side and look for the dimples under normal lighting and you will see there are dimples on all of the playfields, however some games are more noticeable than others. The dimples on my BM66 show up more pronounced than my other pins, even though there are less dimples per square inch. Even putting the BM66 and GBLE side by side is a big difference. The GB has a lot more dimples, but they don't show unless you shine a spot light on the field and look for them. Now add in all of the "concern" for defective playfields and how everyone is immediately inspecting everything with a magnifying glass, and you end up with "Dimple Mania".

#1543 7 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

the pin had code .65. the joker looped for 8 times and need i say it was bad.
definitly needs code 3.0 to save it.
played scared stiff, bsd, and ac/dc afterwards and would drop my money on
those before i would buy a nib. very bad quality control at this point dare i say good luck to all you nib buyers cause you're probably gonna need it, its getting worse by the day!

#1544 7 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

...........very bad quality control at this point dare i say good luck to all you nib buyers cause you're probably gonna need it, its getting worse by the day!

I feel as though I got lucky with the two NIB Sterns I recently purchased and I'm extremely hesitant to test my luck again. Might go with JJP or a couple of 90's titles next. They really seem to want to crank out as many games as possible to fuel this wave in the pinball market with little regard for QC as it will just slow them down. Complete BS.

#1545 7 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

I got a chance to play recently at Boxcar (new in Greensboro). Sometimes, games take awhile to grow on me -- I may not like them at first, or may love them initially and then grow to dislike them over time. In fairness, I couldn't hear much of the audio due to the ambient volume level being so high, but I have to agree with your review. For the price, it's insane. The number of bricked shots, airballs, lack of satisfying shots -- I'll dump more quarters into it because I might as well explore it a bit more, but I just can't believe this is a premium title and unfortunately code can't fix many of these problems.

So many of these issues seem immediately obvious, it makes you wonder why they didn't spend more time playtesting.

#1546 7 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

So many of these issues seem immediately obvious, it makes you wonder why they didn't spend more time playtesting.

Why should they? People were willing to beg them to give them $15k for the privilege to own one.

As long as people do this, nothing will change.

#1547 7 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why should they? People were willing to beg them to give them $15k for the privilege to own one.
As long as people do this, nothing will change.

There are reports coming out that Aerosmith seems to have pretty much completed code (integrated animations, multiballs, etc). How did THAT happen with what is going on here?

#1548 7 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

There are reports coming out that Aerosmith seems to have pretty much completed code (integrated animations, multiballs, etc). How did THAT happen with what is going on here?

Different programmers.

LTG : )

#1549 7 years ago

Scheduling. Word is that game was supposed to launch a year ago but got pushed back due to the playfield issues and the desire to release Batman first.

#1550 7 years ago

Quite a few people have said Aerosmith was supposed to be revealed/released when BM66 was but they switched the releases to get BM66 out the door to coincide with the 30th & 50th anniversaries, if Aerosmith had been released late last year as originally planned it would have probably released less complete than it is now due to the extra time it's had due to BM66 release being pulled forward.

Edit: what Greg just said 2 seconds before I posted the same

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
There are 2,344 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-whats-your-impression/page/31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.