20170316_125205 (resized).jpg
IMG_2980 (resized).PNG
IMG_2979 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0142 (resized).JPG
heavenly-bm66 (resized).jpg
laser-beam-sharks (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2,344 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 47.
#1401 7 years ago

Shit, sorry to hear that calprog & the issues you have had out the box I genuinely hope Stern make it right for you asap!

I'm dreading the arrival of my LE, Sterns overall quality has hit rock bottom, what the hell is going on, I have always had solid products from Stern and suddenly it's gone to rat shit on every aspect of the line, doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

#1402 7 years ago

Are the playfield magnets designed for pinball machines or have they been repurposed. I have seen these electromagnets used to hold large doors open. Here is a link of what I'm talking about.

https://www.qualifiedhardware.com/brands/sargent/1561.htm?vfsku=331&vfsku=331&gpla=pla&gclid=CNmqx4LexdECFU1qfgodqyAAKQ

#1403 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Shit, sorry to hear that calprog & the issues you have had out the box I genuinely hope Stern make it right for you asap!
I'm dreading the arrival of my LE, Sterns overall quality has hit rock bottom, what the hell is going on, I have always had solid products from Stern and suddenly it's gone to rat shit on every aspect of the line, doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Same here. All my nib Sterns have been great. The issues started with Ghostbusters. My ghostbusters LE had the scoop short issue. I applied tape and replaced a board and it all the lights work now. No other issues with the game. Some people seem to have a ton of issues.

It seems it's hit or miss but the quality is definitely lacking. The spike system sucks and has not been tested long term. The techs I spoke with do not know how to repair. Calling Stern works best. I am so bummed. The machine is just sitting in my game room and has been turned off the past two weeks. I have a feeling it's going back for a refund.

#1404 7 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

Same here. All my nib Sterns have been great. The issues started with Ghostbusters. My ghostbusters LE had the scoop short issue. I applied tape and replaced a board and it all the lights work now. No other issues with the game. Some people seem to have a ton of issues.
It seems it's hit or miss but the quality is definitely lacking. The spike system sucks and has not been tested long term. The techs I spoke with do not know how to repair. Calling Stern works best. I am so bummed. The machine is just sitting in my game room and has been turned off the past two weeks. I have a feeling it's going back for a refund.

You have every right to be bummed - you've been impacted by quality issues on back to back games. I hope your distributor and Stern will make it right - whatever that would mean to you. Stern can't possibly want to deal with a bunch of returns from customers dejected by quality issues.

If you decide it's going back for a refund - if you can even get a refund - don't do it quietly. Make sure people know the manufacturing dates, serial number, what the response to your concerns were, etc.

I'll deal with whatever issues surface with my LE, but any thoughts of buying another NIB Stern in 2017 (I had my sights set on two more) are gone until there is clear evidence that (a) impacted buyers are being properly taken care of and (b) there is a statement by Stern on what the root causes of these playfield problems are (insufficient wood hardness/thickness, problem with clear formulation/application, not being cured long enough, etc.) and and a plan on how it's going to be addressed.

No one should have to go what calprog and others have been through with GB and Batman (and I presume some other titles). Pinball is supposed to be about having fun, not becoming quality control for the self-proclaimed leading pinball manufacturer.

I may be naive, but I believe Stern will do the right thing. Whether they do it in time to stop the damage to their brand and business is something else entirely.

#1405 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I'm dreading the arrival of my LE, Sterns overall quality has hit rock bottom, what the hell is going on

This comment is concerning to me, getting a NIB is supposed to be exciting and part of the enjoyment of this hobby, not the other way around.

I am concerned that this could become a major issue for Stern. The Batman66 I played also had cracking in the shooter lane, and big dimples. I really thought that Stern's beta testers and quality control department had this problem resolved. I was wrong and now it is really becoming concerning. I really like Stern and I love pinball and I would do almost anything to try and save a company from it's own demise. If Stern does not fix these issues and start turning out quality product again they will be in trouble.

I watched this documentary the other day on Netflix called Atari: Game Over. It is a documentary about the rise and fall of Atari and how a couple of big mistakes cost the company to fold and go under. One of the mistakes was Atari getting greedy and wanting to capitalize on Christmas and they wanted to piggyback on the success of the ET franchise. Atari gave one of their head programmers 5 weeks to code ET instead of the standard 5 month time frame. It turned out that nobody liked the game and they made over 4 million cartridges. It was not the only reason Atari failed but it was a big contributing factor. Sounds familiar with trying to push product out the door too soon before proper testing was performed.

My point here is these large arcade/pinball manufacturers are more susceptible to trends and consumers than we know. If Stern has a couple of bad titles in one year that nobody buys, or they have major quality control issues that result in law suits, they will find themselves in deep shit. I recommend Stern hire a qualified beta tester that can help deter any potential issues that can become major problems. There is absolutely no excuse to have these Batman66 going out with defective playfields. They need to figure this out-like yesterday. Stern if you are reading this you can hire me as an outside consultant, I could help streamline your production without compromising quality.

#1406 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

This comment is concerning to me, getting a NIB is supposed to be exciting and part of the enjoyment of this hobby, not the other way around.
I am concerned that this could become a major issue for Stern. The Batman66 I played also had cracking in the shooter lane, and big dimples. I really thought that Stern's beta testers and quality control department had this problem resolved. I was wrong and now it is really becoming concerning. I really like Stern and I love pinball and I would do almost anything to try and save a company from it's own demise. If Stern does not fix these issues and start turning out quality product again they will be in trouble.
I watched this documentary the other day on Netflix called Atari: Game Over. It is a documentary about the rise and fall of Atari and how a couple of big mistakes cost the company to fold and go under. One of the mistakes was Atari getting greedy and wanting to capitalize on Christmas and they wanted to piggyback on the success of the ET franchise. Atari gave one of their head programmers 5 weeks to code ET instead of the standard 5 month time frame. It turned out that nobody liked the game and they made over 4 million cartridges. It was not the only reason Atari failed but it was a big contributing factor. Sounds familiar with trying to push product out the door too soon before proper testing was performed.
My point here is these large arcade/pinball manufacturers are more susceptible to trends and consumers than we know. If Stern has a couple of bad titles in one year that nobody buys, or they have major quality control issues that result in law suits, they will find themselves in deep shit. I recommend Stern hire a qualified beta tester that can help deter any potential issues that can become major problems. There is absolutely no excuse to have these Batman66 going out with defective playfields. They need to figure this out-like yesterday. Stern if you are reading this you can hire me as an outside consultant, I could help streamline your production without compromising quality.

I tend to agree. I think much of this will come down to how much customers care about these "issues" and if they are truly as widespread as what is being reported in the world of Pinside. Having the top end games costing 15k certainly does add a bit pressure on Stern to make sure their customers are happy.

#1407 7 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

much of this will come down to how much customers care about these "issues"

Trust me when these guys with deep wallets start seeing their $10-$15k machines deteriorating before their very eyes, they will not stay silent.

#1408 7 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I'm dreading the arrival of my LE, Sterns overall quality has hit rock bottom, what the hell is going on.

I'm starting to feel the same about my PRE. At this point the longer it takes to get the better (maybe).

#1409 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

This is nothing like Atari. Sure, both companies make something. However Stern doesn't buy things like older companies did. In your Atari ET example, they made 4 million cartridges of crap. That was a really big investment. But Stern doesn't overstock like older companies, they almost do a build on demand system. Inventory on hand is only what is needed to meet that demand. Their biggest cost is assembly. So an extra 1000 flipper bases will just get used up on a different game. They won't ever have to do "closeout" sales like they did back with Ripley's, because they just won't build them now.

And here is the MASSIVE difference... Stern can fix it really quickly. If they actually started to get close to going over the cliff, all they would have to do is turn out 500 copies of LOTR using the same manufacturers for parts that they used when the game first came out. The one company that could do that is Stern. They would sell like hotcakes, and instantly cure any ills. They probably have 5 games they could do that with and get themselves right back in the game.

Oh, and on topic, I finally played a Batman 66 SLE (yup, the Super). And I enjoyed it.

#1410 7 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Spot on. We saw it with ghostbusters, and now with BM66. These games need better design testing before going into production. I was surprised how many airball deflections I was getting on the BM66 turn table toy. It's no wonder it's a high traffic dimpling 'pitting' area. The magnet dimples surprise me too. I have an SMVE with a couple hundred plays and it's magnet still looks new *knock on wood*.

The turn table toy needed more time and design efforts as well as the whole table for that matter and it shows. the game is a klunkfest, but Gomez had to sell this overpriced premature game somehow, so what did he use as it's only real selling point? His ace in the hole, Lyman Sheats. And the code being the most bare we've seen any stern in production just goes to show you how rushed out these pins were. Lyman has his work cut out for him, but I don't anticipate this game being even close to good until the end of this year.

I'm curious to see how Aerosmith does design/build/code wise once it's in production as one known distributor told me that pin has been finished since July '16, but kept getting pushed back.

#1411 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

This is nothing like Atari. Sure, both companies make something. However Stern doesn't buy things like older companies did. In your Atari ET example, they made 4 million cartridges of crap. That was a really big investment. But Stern doesn't overstock like older companies, they almost do a build on demand system. Inventory on hand is only what is needed to meet that demand. Their biggest cost is assembly. So an extra 1000 flipper bases will just get used up on a different game. They won't ever have to do "closeout" sales like they did back with Ripley's, because they just won't build them now.
And here is the MASSIVE difference... Stern can fix it really quickly. If they actually started to get close to going over the cliff, all they would have to do is turn out 500 copies of LOTR using the same manufacturers for parts that they used when the game first came out. The one company that could do that is Stern. They would sell like hotcakes, and instantly cure any ills. They probably have 5 games they could do that with and get themselves right back in the game.
Oh, and on topic, I finally played a Batman 66 SLE (yup, the Super). And I enjoyed it.

Go spend your own money on one and see how much you enjoy it.

#1412 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Here are my impressions after having played the game a bunch of times and having some guests play it for the evening

As one of those guests, I echo Frolic's take on the game. There were a few physical issues that concerned me on his LE, namely that shots would make it half way up the left lane and then brick somehow, like there's something blocking the lane. Maybe a zip-tie. So, some tweaking there is needed. But that's an individual build issue I think, not a design flaw.

However, in the design flaw arena, the left and right sides of the turntable have some annoying dead spots and allow for ball hangups. At one point we had to remove the glass to get a ball off the top of the batmobile. I think if the game had spent some time out on test, like JJP is doing with Dialed In, they might have found some of these issues and fixed them.

That said, it's fairly minor and like Frolic said, the art is amazing and the sound package is great. The graphics are a bit better than I expected, still a little rough but I assume the polish will come.

Is it worth the price? I'd say no, but this is the new pricing reality so it's not really a choice. I think for the money I'd rather have a GB Premium. I'm happy to re-evaluate when the software is done, though.

#1413 7 years ago

The thing is that prices are the highest they have ever been, with price increases way above inflation.

And QC is the worst it has been.

So, right now it's simple for me, I just can't justify the thrill of a NIB game.

Back to the 90's for me!

#1414 7 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

As one of those guests, I echo Frolic's take on the game. There were a few physical issues that concerned me on his LE, namely that shots would make it half way up the left lane and then brick somehow, like there's something blocking the lane. Maybe a zip-tie. So, some tweaking there is needed. But that's an individual build issue I think, not a design flaw.
However, in the design flaw arena, the left and right sides of the turntable have some annoying dead spots and allow for ball hangups. At one point we had to remove the glass to get a ball off the top of the batmobile. I think if the game had spent some time out on test, like JJP is doing with Dialed In, they might have found some of these issues and fixed them.
That said, it's fairly minor and like Frolic said, the art is amazing and the sound package is great. The graphics are a bit better than I expected, still a little rough but I assume the polish will come.
Is it worth the price? I'd say no, but this is the new pricing reality so it's not really a choice. I think for the money I'd rather have a GB Premium. I'm happy to re-evaluate when the software is done, though.

I think most have really crappy left orbit shot and many have left ramp issue of balls flying off the ramp. IMO, this is a design issue.

#1415 7 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

The thing is that prices are the highest they have ever been, with price increases way above inflation.
And QC is the worst it has been.
So, right now it's simple for me, I just can't justify the thrill of a NIB game.
Back to the 90's for me!

Ive been that way for over a year now and have been playing more pinball than ever....love me some b/w

#1416 7 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Ive been that way for over a year now and have been playing more pinball than ever....love me some b/w

Yes, just picked up my second AFM - don't think anything could top it really. And doubt AFMR will play as good as a sweet original.

Back to Batman

Screen is best thing on the game for sure.

#1417 7 years ago

I think the looks of this BM66 is amazing... however, I'm very concerned with QC (as seen in many recent picts).

I've purchased many NIB Sterns in the past 24 months, most recent GB prem. I'm going to sit on the sidelines for many months till this gets sorted out.

#1418 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

This is nothing like Atari.

Have to disagree here. The biggest hit to Atari was the hit on their reputation - they never recovered from that. If their reputation was not tarnished they could have fought back from the financial hit. Stern is in that category now with some of it's most loyal fans. Let's face it the general public doesn't give a crap about pinball so they aren't going to Alienate the masses but they are starting to Alienate the pinheads.

Quite a few of the long time diehards that carried pinball through the lowest points are moving on as they can't afford the hobby anymore. Operators can make more money with Video games or coin-pushers. Now Stern is slowly starting to annoy many of the folks that actually have money to spend.

Stern needs to be careful and respectful here. How long did it take Atari to fall? Not long.

Come on Stern - we want you to succeed and not end up in the hands of a venture capitalist (like Sears) or has that already happened?

#1419 7 years ago

And yet pinball rolls on.

If my BM66 PF ends up being defective I'll play the crap out of it and get a brand new one whenever it comes. 6 months? A year? Whenever.

How many thousands of Star Wars pins will they sell? Not to mention Pulp Fiction, Elvira, Iron Maiden and Aerosmith?

My GBLE is the most fun pin I own. Right there with TWDLE.

Here's to a great pinball 2107!

#1420 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

How many thousands of Star Wars pins will they sell? Not to mention Pulp Fiction

Yeh, but after I've bought those 2 I'm quitting NIB for good. That'll show 'em.

#1421 7 years ago

Ugh. Seeing recent complaints and concerns bubble up makes me sad. My GBLE is a fantastic game, but the headaches and frustration that I've dealt with because of this machine aren't anything that I would wish on anybody. I really hope that issues are few and that those affected owners get taken care of quickly. I'm still waiting for resolution on my playfield, and I had to do a TON of fixes on my own. For the B66 owners, I hope that they're much more aggressive in fixing things.

#1422 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Stern can fix it really quickly. If they actually started to get close to going over the cliff, all they would have to do is turn out 500 copies of LOTR using the same manufacturers for parts that they used when the game first came out. The one company that could do that is Stern. They would sell like hotcakes, and instantly cure any ills. They probably have 5 games they could do that with and get themselves right back in the game.

They would first have to enter in negotiations about the license and if that works out and they have the money to buy the license again they would never be able to get the same parts. Those manufacturers might also have changed how they work and with what materials. Why would they else not go back to those manufacturers now and have no problems to begin with ?

#1423 7 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Ugh. Seeing recent complaints and concerns bubble up makes me sad. My GBLE is a fantastic game, but the headaches and frustration that I've dealt with because of this machine aren't anything that I would wish on anybody. I really hope that issues are few and that those affected owners get taken care of quickly. I'm still waiting for resolution on my playfield, and I had to do a TON of fixes on my own. For the B66 owners, I hope that they're much more aggressive in fixing things.

Yes GBLE is a FANTASTIC games. Congrats to Stern for making great pinball. It's a shame a few people are having to deal with issues. I'm fortunate, I've had none.

Now let's tighten up the QC and communication.

On that front, go to the petition thread and get a Kpg update.

So bring on some more great pinball in 2017! Count me in

#1424 7 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

There is an even easier fix than re-hashing old games. Stop selling shite. Don't cheap out on critical areas of the game and people will happily buy NIB. Stern has made and continues to make great games. It would be mental for them put their future in danger for the sake of saving a few dollars per game.

#1425 7 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

Stern has no idea what is causing all the problems with the boards. They are sending the cabinet node board this week. The light next to the batmobile broke as it was installed incorrectly. My dist sent a tech. What we found is a led failed on the line. This caused all the lights to flicker. So crazy. We had no diagram to track which light had failed. If they cannot fix this week unfortunately the machine will be sent back to Stern. Oh well.

I hope that this is the wake-up call that they need to fix the QA/QC problems once and for. when we took the tour this past year a member of our party asked if the games were spot checked or each and every game was inspected. we were told that every game was checked at various points through the assembly process. I can't honestly believe that this case, especially given all of the issues that people continue to have "out of the box"

if you're not the only one to have issues like these, it's going to be an expensive re-call process for stern (it's not like an automobile, where you can simply drive it to a local dealer and have them check it out

I've said it before and I'll say it again. if they don't get someone in there to monitor and correct this level of jackassery, "we collectors", who now dominate the percentage of end-users of who the machines are being sold to are going [at some point] say enough is enough (which means not blindly pre-ordering games) and stern's sales are going to suffer, possibly to the point from which there is no recovery

#1426 7 years ago

you said jackassery

jackass-1 (resized).pngjackass-1 (resized).png

#1427 7 years ago

Wow, the overly dramatic end of the pinball world for Stern is at peak levels.

Meanwhile, they will continue to crush it in 2017

I'm gonna have a blast playing my BM66, the vocal minority can continue to bitch and whine like a bunch of F ing crybabies

#1428 7 years ago
Quoted from j_m_:

I hope that this is the wake-up call that they need to fix the QA/QC problems once and for. when we took the tour this past year a member of our party asked if the games were spot checked or each and every game was inspected. we were told that every game was checked at various points through the assembly process. I can't honestly believe that this case, especially given all of the issues that people continue to have "out of the box"
if you're not the only one to have issues like these, it's going to be an expensive re-call process for stern (it's not like an automobile, where you can simply drive it to a local dealer and have them check it out
I've said it before and I'll say it again. if they don't get someone in there to monitor and correct this level of jackassery, "we collectors", who now dominate the percentage of end-users of who the machines are being sold to are going [at some point] say enough is enough (which means not blindly pre-ordering games) and stern's sales are going to suffer, possibly to the point from which there is no recovery

"Jackassery".

I think that's what has to change. Blindly pre-ordering games.

#1429 7 years ago
Quoted from Texasff78:

Anyone else have the clear starting to chip a little in their shooter lane? Could be dumb luck but the software update seemed to lessen the flyers somewhat. I have noticed the ball getting caught in the left orbit on the wire/zip tie that is on the ramp. After another week there are a ton of dimples. As others have mentioned the gloss definitely brings them out. I recently purchased a BDK from another Pinsider and there are nowhere near the amount of deep marks on that game. Plays completely different and has a lot less flyers than 66.
I finally made contact with Stern and they were receptive and seem willing to work with me on a solution. I am sending more photos and speaking with them again this week.

https://www.change.org/p/gary-stern-replace-defective-stern-pinball-machine-playfields

#1430 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

No idea. I doubt it's that simple. This probably is tied to their playfield issues of last year. Likely why they aren't swapping playfields yet, the problem still isn't identified fully. The weird thing is:
People weren't reporting crazy dimpling on Ghostbusters.
The magnet also dimples.

My GB playfield dimples are the worst of any game I have seen, or personally own. But that's not the premise behind my playfield issues, something I noted though- was much worse dimpling than normal.

2017-01-03 21.51.22 (resized).jpg2017-01-03 21.51.22 (resized).jpg

#1431 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Wow, the overly dramatic end of the pinball world for Stern is at peak levels.
Meanwhile, they will continue to crush it in 2017
I'm gonna have a blast playing my BM66, the vocal minority can continue to bitch and whine like a bunch of F ing crybabies

Iceman, we know dude - you are totally fine with everything- Gary has already put your Size small Stern Army shirt in the mail

#1432 7 years ago

How many other purchases in the 5K-7K range are plagued with such quality issues?

#1433 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Iceman, we know dude - you are totally fine with everything- Gary has already put your Size small Stern Army shirt in the mail

Iceman built this game up so much in his head and on these boards he would found greatness in a pile of horse dung if that's what showed up in his box.

#1434 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Kpg, we know dude, you are on a crusade and mission to nowhere. And my size is XXL, get that right please.

#1435 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Kpg, we know dude, you are on a crusade and mission to nowhere. And my size is XXL, get that right please.

You are so wrong brother.. so wrong... and to bet against someone trying to make find resolution for so many people who have been sold defective products is just not cool.

#1436 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Iceman built this game up so much in his head and on these boards he would found greatness in a pile of horse dung if that's what showed up in his box.

How did you know! Didn't you see Tommy Boy? Stern could take a dump in a box, mark it guaranteed, and all you really have is a guaranteed box of shit! Does that give you a warm and fuzzy?

#1437 7 years ago

Ice, kpg... enough, thanks.
We all know you won't agree on this matter!

#1438 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

You are so wrong brother.. so wrong... and to bet against someone trying to make find resolution for so many people who have been sold defective products is just not cool.

He's not doing that.

In fact, Iceman signed your petition. In fact, Iceman said that you *will* get a resolution from Stern. In fact, he *never* bet against that happening.

I hope that pointing out those facts doesn't result in people claiming that I'm a "Stern apologist" as seems to be the popular thing on Pinside lately, but it is what it is.

#1439 7 years ago
Quoted from kpg:

Going about the wrong way. Really wish i hadn't signed that petition. Sorry, my opinion.

Never been a time in their history where they haven't stood behind their products.

End of comments in this Batman thread re Kpg, per Jim

#1440 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

He's not doing that.
In fact, Iceman signed your petition. In fact, Iceman said that you *will* get a resolution from Stern. In fact, he *never* bet against that happening.
I hope that pointing out those facts doesn't result in people claiming that I'm a "Stern apologist" as seems to be the popular thing on Pinside lately, but it is what it is.

Quoted from iceman44:

Going about the wrong way. Really wish i hadn't signed that petition. Sorry, my opinion.
Never been a time in their history where they haven't stood behind their products.
End of comments in this Batman thread re Kpg, per Jim

No sense of going around and around about this. It's no surprise that the few people who are not in the position of purchasing defective products w/ no timeline of resolution are quick to give advice on how to remediate the problem, and offer opinions and advice. I appreciate all of your input, criticisms, skepticism, advice, etc. In fact, I appreciate it so much, I personally printed everything on paper and have left it in the guest bathroom in the event I run out of toilet paper.

#1441 7 years ago

FK....... I got axed when I talked about 66 being an clunky, uninspired , waaaaay overpriced rehash. Seems like that's the consensus now.

Does the owner of that 66 have a playfield date ? That would be interesting to know.

As of right now my GB playfield from 11/16 has alot of dimples but absolutely no chipping, cracking, or ghosting of the inserts or shooter. I can live with dimples as I don't feel it devalue's a game. They other three no way.

#1442 7 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Seems like that's the consensus now.

Of a few people?

Quoted from hoby1:

I can live with dimples as I don't feel it devalue's a game.

Really? No complaints there, good to know.

#1443 7 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Of a few people?

Really? No complaints there, good to know.

Are you being sarcastic about the dimple comment...... I cant tell. Like in my post before I had a AFM's with a original playfield and thousands of plays that had no wear but looked like an orange peal.

Whats your thoughts Ice?

#1444 7 years ago

Guys make sure you have your game set up at the right height in the back; because I like mine set a little high and then it flows like butter my batman 66 that is

#1445 7 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Guys make sure you have your game set up at the right height in the back; because I like mine set a little high and then it flows like butter my batman 66 that is

I think the playfields are made out of butter.

#1446 7 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Dent is less noticeable, but still there. Probably due to lack of clear, which I would imagine, enhances any dents.

I didn't get any dimples on the back of my playfield when I hit it sharply with a ball, which begs the question- is the layer on the bottom of my playfield supposed to the the one on top?

I still believe the clearcoat is not hard enough as I can drop a ball on my HSA cleared Skateball and it is still smooth as glass.

#1447 7 years ago

So if I hit up the PF with Mylar and cover the magnet with mylar should that reduce stop the dimples ?
Is the height of the spinning PF adjustable ? like if it sits high maybe a few washer under the mounts will help to bring it to it's right level ,but not sure its do-able as I havent seen the set up under the PF .
Any thoughts ?

#1448 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I still believe the clearcoat is not hard enough

My theory too. I don't see any other way to explain dimples on the magnet.

#1449 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I still believe the clearcoat is not hard enough as I can drop a ball on my HSA cleared Skatebal and it is still smooth as glass.

If only all PF's were HSA cleared right? I don't understand why guys like Vid say its the wood and not the clear? I don't get it either.

Quoted from musketd:

What's your pitch?

Quoted from hoby1:

Are you being sarcastic about the dimple comment.

Of course.

#1450 7 years ago
Quoted from ant68:

So if I hit up the PF with Mylar and cover the magnet with mylar should that reduce stop the dimples ?
Is the height of the spinning PF adjustable ? like if it sits high maybe a few washer under the mounts will help to bring it to it's right level ,but not sure its do-able as I havent seen the set up under the PF .
Any thoughts ?

If the wood is really that soft, it might reduce the severity of the dimples, but they would still probably happen to some degree. Mylar is fantastic at reducing wear from ball skips, small drops, and drag wear, but heavy airballs are a bit out of scope for a thin sheet of mylar.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Electronics
Space Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods
Protection
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
11,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
Armor and blades
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 39.00
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,344 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 47.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-whats-your-impression/page/29 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.