Topic Stats

• 2,353 posts
  • 281 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Macca101010
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 246 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Samuel (resized).jpg
Backglass (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
123488904-Space_Seed_098 (resized).jpg
cardealer_4b-960x641 (resized).jpg
They-Live-They-live-Glasses-2 (resized).jpg
5130020624_affaf5787b_b (resized).jpg
th (resized).jpg
20170316_125205 (resized).jpg
IMG_2980 (resized).PNG
IMG_2979 (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0142 (resized).JPG
heavenly-bm66 (resized).jpg
laser-beam-sharks (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 2344 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 47.
#1001 2 years ago
Quoted from SteveMan:

Sorry, what's micro?

Micro is brand of remanfactured playfeild and they do dimple. A lot of people send them off to re-clear coat before installing.

#1002 2 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Micro is brand of remanfactured playfeild and they do dimple. A lot of people send them off to re-clear coat before installing.

I think you mean Mirco -- (autocorrect might have "fixed" that)...

#1003 2 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Thanks.

It seems like the only way to not have dimples is to use one of the hard plastic whole playfield protectors. I haven't read anything here yet about anyone getting dimples under one of those. I'm still trying to decide whether to install one on my new GB. On the one hand your playfield should stay as new, on the other hand seems like a PITA to install and people say it's overkill for HUO.

#1004 2 years ago
Quoted from bhwolf:

I think you mean Mirco -- (autocorrect might have "fixed" that)...

Yep "micro"

#1005 2 years ago

I have had great luck and I have friend who has also. Not ideal on GB it took 1 hour 15 minutes to install but well worth it. I came from Germany. You can google them. Took a few weeks to get here but fights nice.

#1006 2 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Why are the JJP or the Chicago gaming games not doing its ? My Woz LE and Star Trek are the same build month and played the same. The Star Trek looks like the moon.

Are you sure it is not just the bright lights of ST highlighting the dimples? I feel that all my games have about the same amount of dimples, but I guess I should take a closer look under bright overhead lights to confirm.

Stern has brightened their recent games considerably so that is something to consider in the comparisons.

#1007 2 years ago

My WoZ is noticeably dimpled. And you can find similar stories in the WoZ Club. The JJP games are absolutely doing it too. Because, as Vid said, it's totally normal when a steel ball smashes into wood.

#1008 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Are you sure it is not just the bright lights of ST highlighting the dimples? I feel that all my games have about the same amount of dimples, but I guess I should take a closer look under bright overhead lights to confirm.

Yes I am sure. I was waxing them last week. My lotr and Spider-Man are perfect. It is the newer games. Had a original Metallica Le and then got the pro and metal on the pro was soft like others have posted. Metallica hides the dimples better with the graphics. My mmr has zero dimples.

#1009 2 years ago
Quoted from volcanodiver:

I'm calling BS. I have micro fields, they dimple. I have un-restored B/W games, they have dimples. The heavier the use the less its noticed for the already noted reasons. The newer home used sterns are in better lighting then the routed games and are played way less then a routed game ever was. They don't get beat flat and the better home lighting makes the dimples easier to see. If the ball goes airborne the field will dimple, not maybe, it *will*.

Ok, explain why my Iron Man, Tron, Spider-Man, and AC/DC didn't wear like my GBLE has or how GoT has or how Batman is now showing. The games are different in some way today. The dimples are much more noticeable, numerous, and deeper into the wood in the newer games. Call BS all you want, but you're wrong. All evidence (proof, actually) points to newer Stern games having a higher likelihood to dimple and pit.

#1010 2 years ago
Quoted from Onwallst:

Why are the JJP or the Chicago gaming games not doing its ? My Woz LE and Star Trek are the same build month and played the same. The Star Trek looks like the moon.

I get WAY more airballs on Star Trek than I ever get on WoZ. Airballs are the main cause.

#1011 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

Ok, explain why my Iron Man, Tron, Spider-Man, and AC/DC didn't wear like my GBLE has or how GoT has or how Batman is now showing. The games are different in some way today. The dimples are much more noticeable, numerous, and deeper into the wood in the newer games. Call BS all you want, but you're wrong. All evidence (proof, actually) points to newer Stern games having a higher likelihood to dimple and pit.

Or less time in design, resulting in a strong rise in number of airballs.

#1012 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

I get WAY more airballs on Star Trek than I ever get on WoZ. Airballs are the main cause.

AC/DC had TONS of airballs when it was new and they come back a bit every time you wax it up. It still doesn't dimple as badly as the newer games.

It's not just the presence of dimples. It's how deep the dimpling is.

#1013 2 years ago
Quoted from SteveMan:

Thanks.
It seems like the only way to not have dimples is to use one of the hard plastic whole playfield protectors. I haven't read anything here yet about anyone getting dimples under one of those. I'm still trying to decide whether to install one on my new GB. On the one hand your playfield should stay as new, on the other hand seems like a PITA to install and people say it's overkill for HUO.

And your playfield soon looks like murky crap with them on.

#1014 2 years ago
Quoted from vireland:

And your playfield soon looks like murky crap with them on.

From scratches or discoloration?

They say the new ones aren't supposed to turn colors. Do the scratches or scuffs not come out with novus?

#1015 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I don't understand how Stern using softer wood also explains that magnets being dimpled. That is weird.

Exactly. Strange for sure. But I bet on many of these of you took a photo with normal light from the players position the dimples wouldn't look the same. But I think the type of wood does make a difference. Where is vid to lend some insight?

#1016 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Exactly. Strange for sure. But I bet on many of these of you took a photo with normal light from the players position the dimples wouldn't look the same. But I think the type of wood does make a difference. Where is vid to lend some insight?

Could all the cold weather be a source of the clear-coat not curing all the way and making the pf wood softer? > This might be a cause for increased dimpling even on magnet cores?

Yeah where is Vid? Vacation?

#1017 2 years ago

my mmrle has tons of dimples... sad but that's normal. all my sterns have them too.

#1018 2 years ago

Don't let normal dimpling stress you out. Again, that's all normal. It's the deep pits that are troubling. Yeah, the wood will compress and smooth out all over with time, but those deep ball strikes will always be deeper than typical dimpling.

#1019 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Are you sure it is not just the bright lights of ST highlighting the dimples?

I'm not sure why you won't believe my observations. My friend had an STLE that looked like lumpy clay after 100 plays. I had an STLE that had some dimpling but it stopped - and the rest of the playfield stayed smooth. I've seen some Pros that looked dimple free. It's a crapshoot. Some are good, some are bad - if someone has a legit bad one - don't tell them it will improve over time. It won't.

#1020 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm not sure why you won't believe my observations. My friend had an STLE that looked like lumpy clay after 100 plays. I had an STLE that had some dimpling but it stopped - and the rest of the playfield stayed smooth. I've seen some Pros that looked dimple free. It's a crapshoot. Some are good, some are bad - if someone has a legit bad one - don't tell them it will improve over time. It won't.

I don't doubt there have been some (possibly most of them) bad playfields in the last two years. It is the same reason I quit considering a MET Premium NIB in the last year.
Could the bad ones (the ST you describe) have been from the other playfield manufacturer? It seems the last 1.5 years the playfields have not been as good. The early ST were likely from the old/good manufacturer. Also games like ST and TWD have a lot of severe airballs as compared with a lot of older Sterns.
One example of the bad playfields was the obvious giant craters forming between the Pop bumpers where the ball drops from Sandman in the mylar area of SMVE. That indentation is usually not nearly as noticeable in original SM games.

#1021 2 years ago
Quoted from Hasi:

my mmrle has tons of dimples... sad but that's normal. all my sterns have them too.

Was shining a light from all angles the other day and couldn't find a mark on mine. Strange how they vary so much.

#1022 2 years ago

I have had two NIB games in my life:
- XMLE - big craters.
- TBL - still looks good, minor dimpling if that.

You cant tell me there is no difference in the wood between those, very different. Wood is a natural product, I can certainly imagine there will be variations in hardness depending on type, age, season, growth area, how hard the clear coat is, etc. So while it may be an unavoidable variance currently, not going to convince me that all playfields are the same.

#1023 2 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I don't doubt there have been some (possibly most of them) bad playfields in the last two years. It is the same reason I quit considering a MET Premium NIB in the last year.
Could the bad ones (the ST you describe) have been from the other playfield manufacturer? It seems the last 1.5 years the playfields have not been as good. The early ST were likely from the old/good manufacturer. Also games like ST and TWD have a lot of severe airballs as compared with a lot of older Sterns.

The only new playfield manufacturer was Fun, which made the shitty SMVE & Ghostbusters playfields with the ghosting inserts...they had nothing to do with ST or TWD. The horrible STLE I saw was one of the first off the line...I forget what number mine was, but it was pretty early. One bad playfield, one decent playfield. I've played a ton of TWD's...most looked like they had good playfields, but just telling you - the one I saw the other day was horrid. Please stop trying to come up with excuses for why dimples occur. I've seen THE SAME GAMES sometimes look good, sometimes look horrible. It's a crapshoot! If a game is turning LUMPY...that will never smooth out. Never.

Quoted from DCFAN:

One example of the bad playfields was the obvious giant craters forming between the Pop bumpers where the ball drops from Sandman in the mylar area of SMVE. That indentation is usually not nearly as noticeable in original SM games.

You might have a shitty Fun playfield.

#1024 2 years ago

Layout is fun to shoot but hitting the phone can be deadly. Also, two major physical problems with this game.
1) Balls fly off the left wireform ramp. Not sure how Stern can address this now, but it needs some type of shield.
2) Balls get pinned to the right side by the crane. Obviously this has been going on since BDK and was never addressed, so I guess too bad. Have to wait for ball search.

PF lighting is fairly poor so I can see spotlight mods going in.

#1025 2 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I have had two NIB games in my life:
- XMLE - big craters.

Exactly Tom.

To this day, my XMLE is the worst pin in terms of dimpling that I've owned yet. And obviously XMLE was released several years ago, so it's not like it's only the new pins that have the issue.

My GOT Premium had some dimpling, but not too bad compared to XMLE.

#1026 2 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

2) Balls get pinned to the right side by the crane. Obviously this has been going on since BDK and was never addressed, so I guess too bad. Have to wait for ball search.

IMO, anything that can be solved by a ball search isn't really a problem.

#1027 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

IMO, anything that can be solved by a ball search isn't really a problem.

Like Hulk's arms? Speaking of which, I still need to order the tourney button so I can do that mod to manually lift the arms.

#1028 2 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

You are correct it has got worst in the last 18 months. The playfeilds are different. My GOT did it horrible. Everyone wants to seem to ignore the issue while the prices rise. GBLE and Bat 66 seemed to drop a notch lower.

#1029 2 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Like Hulk's arms? Speaking of which, I still need to order the tourney button so I can do that mod to manually lift the arms.

Haha, OK that one kind of sucks. Not sure if you want to attempt it, but if you heat up his arms and bend them "up" a bit...you can get them to where the ball won't be able to get stuck on them.

#1030 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Here's an example of "acceptable dimpling". You pretty much can't see them unless you're really searching for them under bright lights. Here's a pic of Iron Man Vault, "normal point of view" and some dimples that I'm really trying hard to photograph but you can still barely see them.

And this is EXACTLY what is happening on my BM66, WOZ, TRONLE, etc. right down the line, except my old TAF, TZ and WCS, which dont seem to dimple, but not nearly the sheen as on the Stern, JJP games.

These are very, very hard to see under game conditions (I use a flashlight occasionally to look).

I have been over my BM66 playfield with my super bright led flashlight, and a fucking magnifying glass (paranoid after all the GB reports). My inserts are clean, no ghosting, sheen is gorgeous, and dimpling easliy within "acceptable standard" when compared to my other Stern, JJP machines.

There has been very, very little air ball activity, and as Greg points out, if I don't have to pull the glass, the ball is not stuck...simply pinball...

#1031 2 years ago
Quoted from Texasff78:

Date is Dec 2 2016.

Hoping someone with a little more know how, can answer my question but could the excessive dimpling on Texasff78 playfield be anything to do with how fresh/new it is? the playfield and clear is for arguments sake going off the date stamped a month old, doesn't clear harden the longer it has to cure? or does additional time not change it from the second its dry?

#1032 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

The only new playfield manufacturer was Fun, which made the shitty SMVE & Ghostbusters playfields with the ghosting inserts...they had nothing to do with ST or TWD. The horrible STLE I saw was one of the first off the line...I forget what number mine was, but it was pretty early. One bad playfield, one decent playfield. I've played a ton of TWD's...most looked like they had good playfields, but just telling you - the one I saw the other day was horrid. Please stop trying to come up with excuses for why dimples occur. I've seen THE SAME GAMES sometimes look good, sometimes look horrible. It's a crapshoot! If a game is turning LUMPY...that will never smooth out. Never.

The last run of STs were definitely not Churchill ... the ones where some had washed out colours and alignment errors. They lacked the Churchill stamps.

I suspect it will be a major bind for those owners to get replacements ...

#1033 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

And this is EXACTLY what is happening on my BM66, WOZ, TRONLE, etc. right down the line, except my old TAF, TZ and WCS, which dont seem to dimple, but not nearly the sheen as on the Stern, JJP games.
These are very, very hard to see under game conditions (I use a flashlight occasionally to look).
I have been over my BM66 playfield with my super bright led flashlight, and a fucking magnifying glass (paranoid after all the GB reports). My inserts are clean, no ghosting, sheen is gorgeous, and dimpling easliy within "acceptable standard" when compared to my other Stern, JJP machines.
There has been very, very little air ball activity, and as Greg points out, if I don't have to pull the glass, the ball is not stuck...simply pinball...

You really inspect your playfield with an LED flashlight and a magnifying glass? Please tell me that you are joking lol. Just play your machines and enjoy them! I am probably more picky than anyone on this forum about my machines, but if I can't see the dimpling without bending down and shining a light just perfect onto my playfield I could care less. I wouldn't be happy with ghosted inserts I won't lie, but dimpling that you can't even see I say who gives a F*#*

#1034 2 years ago

I received my TWD LE when they were first released direct from Stern. I checked with a light, uniform orange peel play field after a ton of play. But no marks on the metal magnet cores or metal magnet surrounds.

If it wasn't for the pics of the pits in the metal magnet areas I wouldn't have believed that was possible. That has to be an extreme force for that to happen to metal, right? Like strikes from a ballpeen hammer?

Is this just a BM66 thing? Because I can't remember anyone ever saying they mylared actual metal magnets before, just the wood surrounding playfield areas around the magnet cores.

#1035 2 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The last run of STs were definitely not Churchill ... the ones where some had washed out colours and alignment errors. They lacked the Churchill stamps.

Oh yeah, I remember that thread...that looked terrible. But yeah, hands on with Star Trek was back when it was released....none of those were the new guys.

#1036 2 years ago

Wood gets harder with age. The moisture evaporates in the wood, creating the wood to become more dense. The denser the wood molecules, the harder the wood becomes.

So, whilst not ideal, the longer it is left to 'dry' the better it would seem.

But, who can wait when they have a new game to play

#1037 2 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Layout is fun to shoot but hitting the phone can be deadly. Also, two major physical problems with this game.
1) Balls fly off the left wireform ramp. Not sure how Stern can address this now, but it needs some type of shield.
blockquote>

I have a shield on mine (left ramp), came that way.

#1038 2 years ago
Quoted from Yipykya:

I received my TWD LE when they were first released direct from Stern. I checked with a light, uniform orange peel play field after a ton of play. But no marks on the metal magnet cores or metal magnet surrounds.
If it wasn't for the pics of the pits in the metal magnet areas I wouldn't have believed that was possible. That has to be an extreme force for that to happen to metal, right? Like strikes from a ballpeen hammer?
Is this just a BM66 thing? Because I can't remember anyone ever saying they mylared actual metal magnets before, just the wood surrounding playfield areas around the magnet cores.

Ya, those hits on the BM66 magnet seem to show some big force, so it wouldn't be surprising to have it on the PF too. My TWDLE magnets don't show any hits like that at all.

Added over 2 years ago: I checked my TWDLE more closely and it does have marks on the magnet. Lighter but it is there. It looks worse on your BM66 with so little plays, but if it doesn't get deeper, just evens out, then it isn't that bad compared to what I've seen on other pins.

#1039 2 years ago
Quoted from volcanodiver:

jesus christ how thick do you think clear is that it can dimple and not make the wood under it also dimple??

Was thinking about 1 inch or more. Is that about right?

#1040 2 years ago

Holy CrapMan. Is this on a super LE?

#1041 2 years ago

Magnet is probably one of the stern doods on the line whacking it in with a hammer.

#1042 2 years ago

So, whilst not ideal, the longer it is left to 'dry' the better it would seem.

Whilst is an under utilized word. I applaud you sir.

#1043 2 years ago

Where's the code?

#1044 2 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Magnet is probably one of the stern doods on the line whacking it in with a hammer.

Nope it was perfect when it got here Tuesday. The ball jumps crazy on that magnet.

#1045 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I would assume based on the insert ghosting problems that all the early SMVEs had a FUN playfield. I don't own a VE.

#1046 2 years ago
Quoted from Texasff78:

Nope it was perfect when it got here Tuesday. The ball jumps crazy on that magnet.

My magnet is fairly gentle at .59 for the LE. What code are you running?

#1047 2 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You really inspect your playfield with an LED flashlight and a magnifying glass? Please tell me that you are joking lol. Just play your machines and enjoy them! I am probably more picky than anyone on this forum about my machines, but if I can't see the dimpling without bending down and shining a light just perfect onto my playfield I could care less. I wouldn't be happy with ghosted inserts I won't lie, but dimpling that you can't even see I say who gives a F*#*

Confess..this is my only game I did it on ( but truly did) .....all that ghosting shit that was posted ( I never had that happen) made me super worried after dropping 10k on my first nib Stern.

I admit, after doing it, and realized it was a gorgeous playfield with no defects ( and man, I looked) the whole process felt pretty stupid. But it's out of my head now. I buy my machines to PLAY, so dimples are part of it...all is good in BM66 land...

#1048 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Confess..this is my only game I did it on ( but truly did) .....all that ghosting shit that was posted ( I never had that happen) made me super worried after dropping 10k on my first nib Stern.
I admit, after doing it, and realized it was a gorgeous playfield with no defects ( and man, I looked) the whole process felt pretty stupid. But it's out of my head now. I buy my machines to PLAY, so dimples are part of it...all is good in BM66 land...

Unfortunately most issues come after a fair amount of play especially on pins with lots of airballs..... keep a eye on her.

#1049 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

These shots were taken from the normal shooters viewpoint with normal lighting. Not close up at all with the glass on.

IMG_3189 (resized).JPG
IMG_3193.JPG

#1050 2 years ago
Quoted from Texasff78:

These shots were taken from the normal shooters viewpoint with normal lighting. Not close up at all.

If your magnet core is higher than the playfield and causing airballs then it needs to be adjusted to be level with the playfield.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 13.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 99.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cortland, NY
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 129.95
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 29.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 19.99
Playfield - Plastics
Docquest Pinball Mods
7,500 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Warrenton, VA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2344 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 47.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside