• Latest reply 5 years ago by DaveH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_m6n8dvwl0g1qdzm50 (resized).jpg

#1 5 years ago

Ready to go for one of these titles but not sure which direction to go. Sounds like Batman code has come a long way since I last tried it (and I liked it then). I like that Guardians is $2k less but not sure if it will have staying power. Also Batman seems more different than the Star Wars I already have. I'd love some input.
Thanks

#2 5 years ago

Buy the one you like playing the most.

#3 5 years ago

I get that but sometimes people who already own these games can provide great insight. For example, I bought Ghostbusters because I played it and really liked it. BUT, I got sick of the repetition and cheap drains and ended up hating it. I watched vids and read about SW (which I played and didn't like initially) and realized it would suit my desires of depth, etc and I love it.

#4 5 years ago

BM66 code is fantastic! Lyman is literally incorporating the episodes into the gameplay. One of the best theme integrations from Stern yet. GOTG is fun but code is lackluster compared to BM66. The lack of licensed actor callouts really hurts this one. BM66 may be 2 grand more but in this case you get what you pay for. Good luck with your decision. I'll watch for you in the BM66 owners thread.

#5 5 years ago

I vote get Batman.

#6 5 years ago

If I did GOTG, a modded sound package would be necessary for sure. So Batman has more depth and complexity so I'd be entertained as I get better at it?

#7 5 years ago

BM66! Why? One word.... LYMAN!

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

So Batman has more depth and complexity so I'd be entertained as I get better at it?

Absolutely. The minor villains can be harder to defeat than the major ones. Batusi wizard mode is very fun and satisfying once you get there. Code is shaping up to include 3 episodes for each major and minor villain. Lots to do for sure.

#9 5 years ago

Is this a trick question?

#10 5 years ago

Sorry there's no comparison BATMAN pinball all the way.

tumblr_m6n8dvwl0g1qdzm50 (resized).jpgtumblr_m6n8dvwl0g1qdzm50 (resized).jpg

#11 5 years ago

I have a GOTG pro and a Batman Dark Knight. I’ve also put a little time into a Batman 66 on location. I honestly don’t think you can go wrong with either choice.

Personally, I really like GOTG with Cleland’s sound mod and would choose it over Batman 66, especially if you take price into consideration. The shots are tight and satisfying. It’s not an easy game but it has the “one more game” feel to it. And Cleland’s music and callouts are great. It’s a blast. I’m still in the honeymoon phase as I’ve only had my game a couple weeks, but it’s probably the most fun I’ve had playing pinball since I bought Metallica NIB five years ago. The code is plenty good now — Cherry Bomb multiball is a blast and the modes are all different enough to be challenging and rewarding. And I expect the code to continue to improve going forward.

BTDK and Batman 66 have very similar shot layouts and I do like both of those games as well. The crane is a great toy. The art package is great. I don’t have enough time on 66 to judge how great the code is but I trust Lyman and I expect code is more developed than GOTG at this point.

So in the end, I think both are good choices. My vote is GOTG but I understand why a lot of people here are suggesting Batman.

#12 5 years ago

Thanks for the response. As far as theme, I’d give the advantage to GOTG. I’ve heard cleland’s sound mod is fantastic but not much video out there to see it for myself.
On the flip side, BM66 has a shot layout with maybe a little more variety, seems built more solid with wire ramps, etc and the coding may be deeper. Also, I think my kids may find the gameplay a bit more approachable. But $2k more kinda sucks too. I told myself I should stick to Pro machines as I’d like to get 3-5 machines eventually and Batman is expensive for sure.
I have no issue swapping machines out over time but I’d like to go into a purchase more confident that I’m picking the better long term machine.

#13 5 years ago

Id say BM66 but i like both games pretty good. For some reason it took me a long time before i started liking BM66 but the last time i played it i had fun. Are you close to Arcade Legacy Bar Edition on Springrove Ave. In Cincinnati? They have BM66 and GOTG both plus more awesome pins, go down there and play them both. Its a nice place, the owner is nice, best nachos around, and great gourmet hot dogs as well. Real nice people down there for real.

#14 5 years ago

Oh yeah and the new Iron Maiden game is there also! How the hell did i forget that??

#15 5 years ago

That is where I’ve tried these games already. Another visit wouldn’t hurt but I’m not sure how much I can really dig into code on location. Plus, the sound in GOTG will be stock, and that’s if I can hear anything at all. That place is very loud.
Can anyone comment on me feeling like GOTG may be too similar to SW? Is that a fair reaction or am I off base?

#16 5 years ago

I got BM66prem, GotGLE and SWprem. SW and GoTG are nothing alike. SW is brutal fast and more open. Of all 3 I like BM66 the best (now), total package is super, callouts and sounds, art and you really get pulled in the game. Either way you can't go wrong with any of the 3.

#17 5 years ago

Really want a BM66 but don't like the fact that the premium is a pro in disguise, but priced as a premium.

Great game though.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

That is where I’ve tried these games already. Another visit wouldn’t hurt but I’m not sure how much I can really dig into code on location. Plus, the sound in GOTG will be stock, and that’s if I can hear anything at all. That place is very loud.
Can anyone comment on me feeling like GOTG may be too similar to SW? Is that a fair reaction or am I off base?

Yeah it can be hard to hear the games sometimes but at least we have a place near us where we can go try the newest games. He keeps the lineup pretty fresh and thats a good thing. As far as SW and GOTG, i dont think they are anything alike at all.

#19 5 years ago

I’ve almost bought GOTG several times... I’ve revisited all kinds of games to compare it to, first AFMr now BM66. Something about that game makes me hesitate. Ugh! First world problems, just don’t know which machine to buy...

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Ccondo:

I’ve almost bought GOTG several times... I’ve revisited all kinds of games to compare it to, first AFMr now BM66. Something about that game makes me hesitate. Ugh! First world problems, just don’t know which machine to buy...

Well there are alot of great choices for you and more coming all the time. You got IMDN, TWD, MET, BM66, AS, KISS, AC/DC, GOT, MMR, AFMR, MBR coming soon, Deadpool next looks like, The Munsters after that and Elvira 3 coming soon. What kind of themes do you like out of all of those?

I had fun playing GOTG with the new code on it the last time i was there. Its a great playfield layout but its just a little weak on code but its getting better. Hate to say it but games that Lonnie has coded is a little bit of a risk. I do like my AS though and Kiss seems good too, those are his code as well.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Really want a BM66 but don't like the fact that the premium is a pro in disguise, but priced as a premium.
Great game though.

Not quite. It's not "Pro in disguise" because there are no game play differences between it and the LE/SLE like other Stern games.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Great game though.

I totally get where this feeling comes from, however BM66 Premium is not a Pro I’ll explain that below but if we are comparing GOTG to BM66, you have to compare Premium to Premium.

GOTG Pro
- Groot, Orb Drop Target, Rocket Kickback and Scoop
GOTG Prem
- Groot, Orb Drop, Rocket, Kickback, Scoop and Spinners

BM66 Prem
- Turntable with 3 functional sides this was a turd of a mech at release I am an LE owner and I will openly admit that, hell the whole game was a turd at release! However now Lyman has been churning out code the turntable is fantastic, each side has dedicated targets, a magnetic spinner with a sweet through shot to the left orbit, interactive lcd.

- One of the turntable areas (LCD) doubles up as physical ball lock when it’s facing away and technically inactive from the player while the Batcave area of the turntable is active.

- There is also a playfield magnet that I would call a part of the turntable as it is activate during specific turntable shots and modes.

- Spinners, saucer, VUK,

- Oh and did I mention the Crane? Which is one of the most fun toys in pinball, once Lyman brings over the more complex coding from BDK hopefully with some new coding it’s only going to get better, but it’s super fun to shoot the swinging pinball hanging off the crane.

There is a lot packed into BM66, based on playfield features listed, it isn’t really fair to say that BM66 Prem is a Pro (BM66 has spinners these are a Premium feature if we are comparing strictly to GOTG) the game is pretty packed and with Lyman on code you know every aspect of the playfield is going to get utilised. Both games are drop dead gorgeous although I would give the edge to BM66 in the art department.

#23 5 years ago

Only played both a few times but BM66 felt like it had more potential for being a great game. GOTG felt like your typical Stern with familiar layout and two flippers. Music and video clips just seem to be thrown in at random. Nothing really memorable and seems like it would get old fast. BM66 was fun to shoot and campy theme is great for pinball. Not sure it is worth the high price, though.

#24 5 years ago

BM66 is exponentially better than Guardians

#25 5 years ago

You can't go wrong with either one, except for Guardians of the Galaxy.

#26 5 years ago

You told us that you keep backing away from buying GOTG for one reason or another. Listen to your gut.

You and your kids will love the classic clips from the Batman series, Lymon is a master of coding, Batman and Robin both did custom voice work for the game, the art just jumps out at you and the shots are diverse and big fun. Do it - you know that it is the one you really want.

#27 5 years ago

I had the same dilemma, and while I still think GOTG can become a great pin, BM66 already is and will get even better. Best theme integration and most fun I a pinball package that has you coming back to play again and again. That is why a BM66 Premium is leaving Stern's factory today on it's way to me.......

#28 5 years ago

Neither one of them is a great game for multiple reasons.

That might sound cynical, but they didn't make the threshold of greatness. Now, that doesn't mean they can't be enjoyed, heck, I love some games that are crap. But overall this is a competition on the second rung.

Don't get all mad if I insulted your favorite game. It's just my opinion of these two games. When I'm around them, of course I play them. But buying is different.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
Shooter rods
$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 210.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Richfield, MI
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods
Protection
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vernon Hills, IL
$ 55.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts
Boards
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 26.50
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-vs-guardians-of-the-galaxy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.