(Topic ID: 238678)

Batman 66 vs Dialed In (if you owned sold)

By badbilly27

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by PinMonk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which one would you own (again)?”

• Batman 66 28 votes
    41%
  • Dailed In 24 votes
    35%
  • neither (wait for another new pin) 16 votes
    24%

(68 votes)

#1 5 years ago

I'm debating if I add one of these to my home collection in the future. With no disrespect to current owners, I want to take a different approach. Those who've owned and sold Batman 66 or Dialed In - I'd like your opinions.

Sometimes when we still own a game we are either in honeymoon state or refrain from criticizing in fear of impacting resell. Like just pure honest assessment why you sold, own again, and which of the two go to first.

I've owned TDK in the past. I've played Batman66 and Dailed In but been hard to hear in public settings to really immerse myself. Look forward to opinions.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

I'm debating if I add one of these to my home collection in the future. With no disrespect to current owners, I want to take a different approach. Those who've owned and sold Batman 66 or Dialed In - I'd like your opinions.
Sometimes when we still own a game we are either in honeymoon state or refrain from criticizing in fear of impacting resell. Like just pure honest assessment why you sold, own again, and which of the two go to first.
I've owned TDK in the past. I've played Batman66 and Dailed In but been hard to hear in public settings to really immerse myself. Look forward to opinions.

Had both on the route (the Batman'66 was an SLE), sold both. Dialed In gets old. Adding Chaos Multiball helped break up the monotony of stomping through the disasters over and over, but they need much tighter theme integration with more little side modes (Crazy Bob's does not cut the mustard) to make it more enjoyable. WoZ does it right, Hobbit and Dialed In do not.

We sold Batman'66 SLE when the software was still languishing in an embarrassing state after a year. We'll never, ever be suckered into an SLE of any theme again, but Batman '66 has turned into a pretty great game, despite the clunky layout. It's a testament to Lyman's software skill and knowledge of flow progression that WORKS.

So, between the two, Batman'66 all day long. But honestly, with all the choices currently and coming soon, neither of those would be on my short list right now.

#3 5 years ago

Had dialed in, sold it. It’s a nice pin, but for me wasn’t a long term keeper. Both dialed in and BM66 would be better in a home environment where you can here all the call outs. I’d put some quality time on both to help make your decision. I just played both on location today and could barely hear the sound and that really impacted both pins.

#4 5 years ago

I have both sitting right next to each other. Batman 66 in a second. Dialed in is great. Top 15 of all time. Batman is in a league of its own with code u-dates. Code is so deep you can play each game like it’s a first.

#5 5 years ago

What do you like more: Theme (B66) or Gameplay (DI)?

Batman's a great game, but I find it to be very clunky and not smooth to shoot. On the other hand, Dialed In has flow for days and is absolutely packed. My choice is Dialed In, but the theme doesn't bother me at all.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from BigStiffy:

What do you like more: Theme (B66) or Gameplay (DI)?
Batman's a great game, but I find it to be very clunky and not smooth to shoot. On the other hand, Dialed In has flow for days and is absolutely packed. My choice is Dialed In, but the theme doesn't bother me at all.

Batman '66 IS clunky, inherited from Gomez's BTDK, but Lyman's software is good enough now that it's not an issue. Dialed In has great flow, but the software is boring after a while. There's just not enough variety and the theme integration with the playfield and toys isn't anywhere near deep enough. Nowhere near the committment to the machine's software that WoZ saw, not even close. But again, I'd give Batman'66 the clear edge in this thread, but neither a recommendation right now with all the other current and near future choices.

#7 5 years ago

Batman 66 is a must own in every collection.

#8 5 years ago

You read tons of reviews here on how great Dialed In is. Finally caved and got one. I didn't find it as great as so many say. It left in 10 days - a record for me. I actually got feed up with the monotony. Sure you have different objectives and shots in modes, but they basically sound the same. No urgency. I wanted to punch the news guy in the face. PinMonk is spot on w/Crazy Bobs. The size modes fall flat. Music is annoying too.

I'm sure I'll like a BM66 if I had it but do worry a bit b/c I did have BDK and that is the clunkiest pin you could imagine.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Sure you have different objectives and shots in modes, but they basically sound the same. No urgency. I wanted to punch the news guy in the face. vireland is spot on w/Crazy Bobs. The size modes fall flat.

That's what I don't get. With a disaster/sci-fi/evil AI theme and all those toys there could be WAY better theme integration. How about a mode where you have to rescue citizens of the city but the electric dude goes crazy, moving at 5x the speed and blocking your shots? How about something more satisfying with the spiders? Spider-splat gun that splats the spiders on the screen with a satisfying sound when you make shots? In meteor mode, how about a target that locks on to meteors falling and making shots explodes them before they hit the city? Get rid of Emoji mode or significantly overhaul it - I hated it. Add 3 more disasters and only have one of them at a time show up in the final 3 disaster mix based on what you've done in the prior disasters (not just the two endings they have now). The list goes on and on...there's a whole bunch they could do to break up the game monotony but haven't, and I don't think they will.

#10 5 years ago

DI plays and shoots way better, would much rather have one over BM

#11 5 years ago

Have BM66 in my collection since April 2017 and still the most played game in my collection.
Local barcade has DI and also a friend of mine has one in his home. Great game but not as good as BM66.

#12 5 years ago

DI shots are very smooth and work very well together. The reason I sold it is that every game felt the same to me. I did several adjustments in the software to try and change the game play , but , to no avail. If I want a “repeat” type game I will stick with older SS’s and EM’s. For the type of money a JJP game commands I need more variety.

#13 5 years ago

Interesting poll results. Many are saying wait for the next title.

#14 5 years ago

Owned both. Dialed in got old real fast for me and sold 2 months later. Game felt like it had a real identity crisis with what it wanted to be. Theme integration is a shit show. I’ve had BM66 for 5 months and loving it more and more. Helps that the theme really resonates with me.

#15 5 years ago

Both games are two of the best 10 pinball games EVER MADE... don't sell either.

#16 5 years ago

Batman didn't resonate with me for some reason. The coding and theme integration are brilliant, but I found myself getting frustrated with the tight shots and wasn't a big fan of the penguin crane. I also found myself rage quitting when I couldn't do the bookworm / freeze stack, as I became obsessed with always trying to chase astronomical scores vs. playing for fun. I can definitely see where most people would love it, but sold it for a Deadpool and couldn't be happier.

I lusted after Dialed in for years (couldn't hang with the NIB price) before trading my beloved Tron for one, and it's been pure pinball Nirvana since I've had it. The shots and combos are SO F'ing great... not a huge fan of the music and overall deadpan quirky newscaster vibe, but everything else oozes quality to me and will probably be one of the last in my collection to go. Never gets old for me, and I have yet to hit either of the main wizard modes.

Seems like I'm in the minority though, so don't give my opinion too much weight

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Owned both. Dialed in got old real fast for me and sold 2 months later. Game felt like it had a real identity crisis with what it wanted to be. Theme integration is a shit show. I’ve had BM66 for 5 months and loving it more and more. Helps that the theme really resonates with me.

Ditto, I Had DI for a few months and wanted to love it. The shots are so smooth and the layout is awesome but the theme, sound package, LCD animations, art package & tight SIM card shot led me to dump the game after 3 months of owning it. I purchased a BM66 LE off of a buddy more than a year ago and I am still loving the game!
Brilliant code and theme integration.. BM66 is a home run for me!

#18 5 years ago

Won't give a comparison of both games as I don't meet the OP's criterial (own a Dialed In). I would like to provide some insight on the ruleset though after reading a few comments.

Dialed In has 11 disaster modes, each of which features custom animations, callouts, light shows, their own unique rules requirements, and interaction with features on the playfield in unique ways. Disaster modes are started by hitting the QED moving target X number of times (increases as you progress through modes) and then hitting the cell phone scoop. The game offers a fun risk reward element by giving the player the option to start a mode after enough QED hits or allowing the player to "super charge" the phone with more QED hits which increases mode point value. Another fun risk reward rules feature is the "Big Bang" feauture which when activated automatically finishes a mode and during mutliball collects all jackpots. Completing modes lights the SIM card collect shot, a challenging shot made from the upper right flipper to a small scoop to the right of the middle ramp. Collecting SIM cards is only done after completing modes and acts as a reward system. Collecting SIM cards increases all in game scoring.

Starting 6 disaster modes starts the Chaos in Quantum City wizard mode, starting all disaster modes starts the Armageddon wizard mode, and collecting enough SIM cards to spell "Dialed In" (one per letter) starts the games super wizard mode "Showdown". There's a ton of more rules to the game and several more mutliballs I didn't mention here (check out the rules chart below).

http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/di/DI-Rules-Flow-v5.pdf

Overall Dialed In is an incredibly deep game with beautiful custom assets spread throughout, offers a wealth of toys / features, and is one of the best shooting pins you will ever play. There's a reason it's a multiple TWIPY award winning pin, including l2017's TWIPY "Game of the Year". That's pretty remarkable as an original theme game beat out of a ton of licensed themed pins in multiple categories...including Batman 66.

#19 5 years ago

BM66 over a year later. DILE lasted a month. I wanted to love it, but...and that from a Lawlor fan. May have bailed too quickly.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Won't give a comparison of both games as I don't meet the OP's criterial (own a Dialed In). I would like to provide some insight on the ruleset though after reading a few comments.
Dialed In has 11 disaster modes, each of which features custom animations, callouts, light shows, their own unique rules requirements, and interaction with features on the playfield in unique ways. Disaster modes are started by hitting the QED moving target X number of times (increases as you progress through modes) and then hitting the cell phone scoop. The game offers a fun risk reward element by giving the player the option to start a mode after enough QED hits or allowing the player to "super charge" the phone with more QED hits which increases mode point value. Another fun risk reward rules feature is the "Big Bang" feauture which when activated automatically finishes a mode and during mutliball collects all jackpots. Completing modes lights the SIM card collect shot, a challenging shot made from the upper right flipper to a small scoop to the right of the middle ramp. Collecting SIM cards is only done after completing modes and acts as a reward system. Collecting SIM cards increases all in game scoring.
Starting 6 disaster modes starts the Chaos in Quantum City wizard mode, starting all disaster modes starts the Armageddon wizard mode, and collecting enough SIM cards to spell "Dialed In" (one per letter) starts the games super wizard mode "Showdown". There's a ton of more rules to the game and several more mutliballs I didn't mention here (check out the rules chart below).
http://marketing.jerseyjackpinball.com/di/DI-Rules-Flow-v5.pdf
Overall Dialed In is an incredibly deep game with beautiful custom assets spread throughout, offers a wealth of toys / features, and is one of the best shooting pins you will ever play. There's a reason it's a multiple TWIPY award winning pin, including l2017's TWIPY "Game of the Year". That's pretty remarkable as an original theme game beat out of a ton of licensed themed pins in multiple categories...including Batman 66.

Yes, it has all that, and it looks great on paper, but the structure is boring because you're mostly doing the same stuff to advance every time, with very little on the side that matters or is fun. Crazy Bobs is not a good way to handle two throwaway multiballs that could have been used much better if they were integrated into the actual theme of the game to achieve them, and emoji mode is plain annoying.

And Batman'66 couldn't have won against a box of lights the year it was released because that's essentially what it was, so it's not really that big a deal that Dialed In won that year. In the time since that, Batman'66 has become a classic while Dialed In has languished with very few important changes - Chaos Multiball is the only major one (and later, Theatre Multiball), while Batman'66 has had dozens of key modes and features added.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There's a reason it's a multiple TWIPY award winning pin, including l2017's TWIPY "Game of the Year".

I always look forward to your comments in other threads. This one, sadly, reads like an advertisement for JJP. TWIPY - really? TWIPY Just playing with you Panzer.

#22 5 years ago

I just picked up a DI a few months ago and absolutely love it. I am picking up a Batman 66 in a couple of weeks.

I know for both games will be in my collection for a very long time.

I have played both games on location since the came out and knew they were both keepers for me at least.

#23 5 years ago

I think di is brilliant and i love the code especially the newest version with the theater mb . Its a difficult pin and ive never seen the wizard modes after almost 2 years of ownership. I just can't get in to the bat 66 playfield design . I know the code is excellent but i dont like the way it plays unfortunately.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

I always look forward to your comments in other threads. This one, sadly, reads like an advertisement for JJP. TWIPY - really? TWIPY Just playing with you Panzer.

Lol. So many people knocked the game due to its theme, me included, when it came out. Also didn't help that the reveal was terrible. It's nice to see the game finally get the recognition it deserves. Pat really poursed his heart into Dialed In, as did the entire team.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes, it has all that, and it looks great on paper, but the structure is boring because you're mostly doing the same stuff to advance every time, with very little on the side that matters or is fun. Crazy Bobs is not a good way to handle two throwaway multiballs that could have been used much better if they were integrated into the actual theme of the game to achieve them, and emoji mode is plain annoying.
And Batman'66 couldn't have won against a box of lights the year it was released because that's essentially what it was, so it's not really that big a deal that Dialed In won that year. In the time since that, Batman'66 has become a classic while Dialed In has languished with very few important changes - Chaos Multiball is the only major one, while Batman'66 has had dozens of key modes and features added.

One of my biggest issues with the gameplay was how linear it felt. And I was only able to make the SIM card shot if it was by accident ... reminiscent of the milk can shot on Houdini.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lol. So many people knocked the game due to its theme, me included, when it came out. Also didn't help that the reveal was terrible. It's nice to see the game finally get the recognition it deserves. Pat really poursed his heart into Dialed In, as did the entire team.

I was the reverse. I recommended we bring it in for the route I help with the day after reveal when orders were able to be taken. We got one of the first ones and stuck with it for almost a year (ish? I don't remember exactly) before sending it down the road as way too linear and boring. It was not too long after they added the Chaos multiball at the halfway point to break up the disaster death march.

We've brought in every JJP machine since they deserve the support and are doing great things, but only WoZ has had staying power on the route and is still here. Pirates LE will be here shortly. Hoping it has WoZ legs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 34.99
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
5,640 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Worcester, MA
$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-vs-dialed-in-if-you-owned-sold and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.