Topic Stats

• 218 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by docquest
  • Topic is favorited by 118 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 97 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

MI0000137914 (resized).jpg
514lHyn6PAL._SS500 (resized).jpg
ashcs (resized).jpg
batman_on_ice (resized).png
Bat-Cave (resized).jpg
bman_playfield_(resized).jpg
582163_502028193145631_261438381_n_(resized).jpg
20160806_080953_(resized).jpg
20160805_180336_(resized).jpg
20160805_180242_(resized).jpg
20160728_212253_(resized).jpg
20160728_212241_(resized).jpg
IMG_0192_(resized).JPG
IMG_0179_(1)_(resized).JPG
IMG_0186_(resized).JPG
insert_off_(resized).jpg

There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 3 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'd say the same for rick & morty

Rick and Morty is awesome!!!!

#202 3 years ago

Your 66 artwork looks great, will be interesting to see how you like it compared to Stern's, as an artist, I'd always favor my own save for art done by a select few artists.

that said if you like theirs enough, your on good footing for another theme.

#203 3 years ago

follow

#204 3 years ago
Quoted from VacFink:

Your 66 artwork looks great, will be interesting to see how you like it compared to Stern's, as an artist, I'd always favor my own save for art done by a select few artists.
that said if you like theirs enough, your on good footing for another theme.

Patiently waiting for stern pics before I decide to continue with this theme or not. If i end up buying the stern ill probably mod the crap out of it and if the music isnt authentic score from nelson riddle ill probably be changing that. Lets hope pinball browser works with spike 2.0.

If i buy the stern batman ill still be continuing my diner retheme it will just be a different theme.

If i dont like the stern version and pass on it ill probably use pinball browser to lift all the custom adam west callouts for my version of bstman 66.

#205 3 years ago

Beware of the ghost-ing...

#206 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

if the music isnt authentic score from nelson riddle

Nelson Riddle? Don't you mean Neal Hefti?

That's the thing I most like about the idea of your Diner re-theme - using all that super groovy bat-music in the background. Big improvement over Diner, great as the game is...

2 weeks later
#207 3 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Nelson Riddle? Don't you mean Neal Hefti?
That's the thing I most like about the idea of your Diner re-theme - using all that super groovy bat-music in the background. Big improvement over Diner, great as the game is...

Neal Hefti only did the main theme. All the groovy score that happens during the show is Nelson Riddle (at least for seasons 1+2).

Sounds great via pinsound on my Diner. If I get the Stern version and it doesnt have enough Nelson Riddle in it I'll definitely be adding it via pinball browser.

Nelson did a lot of movie scores. I was watching the John Wayne film "El Dorado" and noticed the score reminded me of Batman. I watched the credits and sure enough, saw Nelson did the score for that movie in 66 right after Batman.

#208 3 years ago

So I ended up buying season 1 of a new show that just came out on bluray. It was a show based on a movie series my kids and I already liked so we ended up binge watching it this week. We all loved it.

One of my kids said it would make a really cool pinball machine. I wholeheartedly agreed. I guess I need to add this to my short list of themes in case I buy the Stern Batman and decide to convert my Batman game into something else.

What do people think of this as a theme?

ashcs (resized).jpg

#209 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

So I ended up buying season 1 of a new show that just came out on bluray. It was a show based on a movie series my kids and I already liked so we ended up binge watching it this week. We all loved it.
One of my kids said it would make a really cool pinball machine. I wholeheartedly agreed. I guess I need to add this to my short list of themes in case I buy the Stern Batman and decide to convert my Batman game into something else.

I absolutely love it!!!

1 week later
#210 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Neal Hefti only did the main theme. All the groovy score that happens during the show is Nelson Riddle (at least for seasons 1+2).
Sounds great via pinsound on my Diner. If I get the Stern version and it doesnt have enough Nelson Riddle in it I'll definitely be adding it via pinball browser.
Nelson did a lot of movie scores. I was watching the John Wayne film "El Dorado" and noticed the score reminded me of Batman. I watched the credits and sure enough, saw Nelson did the score for that movie in 66 right after Batman.

Shit, I need to look into this further. I have a CD which claims to be entirely Neil Hefti and which has various themes ("The Batusi", "Mr. Freeze", "Evil Plot to Blow Up Batman") but it makes not mention of Nelson Riddle. The man has been robbed!

#211 3 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Shit, I need to look into this further. I have a CD which claims to be entirely Neil Hefti and which has various themes ("The Batusi", "Mr. Freeze", "Evil Plot to Blow Up Batman") but it makes not mention of Nelson Riddle. The man has been robbed!

If its this CD, I have it and its not very good. I think the only music on it from the actual show is the main theme.

514lHyn6PAL._SS500 (resized).jpg

#212 3 years ago

Heres another CD that features a few songs by adam west, burgess meredith, and frank gorshin, and others. None of these were on the show either buts it's more entertaining than the neil hefti one. For the real tv show music you want the 1966 tv soundtrack album or the film score monthly release of the 1966 movie soundtrack. Both of those have the nelson riddle music.

MI0000137914 (resized).jpg

3 weeks later
#213 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

If its this CD, I have it and its not very good. I think the only music on it from the actual show is the main theme.

That's the one! I guess I haven't watched the show in some time, as I didn't catch that those tunes aren't in the show. Surprised you don't care for it, I've always loved its mod-a-go-go goofy/grooviness. On the other hand, I haven't heard the Nelson Riddle stuff (well, not since I was a kid I guess), so I may be in for a real treat. Thanks!

#214 3 years ago

Hoping the Stern machines have inspired you to finish yours.

#215 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Evil Dead was a re-theme of a Hollywood Heat.

#216 3 years ago

Don't retheme a pin to a show that's still on the air. If the later seasons take a downhill turn, then you're stuck with something that's now a mediocre theme --that's right Arrow, I'm looking at you.

I saw you chatting with Nelly at expo but we never really got a chance to talk. I'm wondering what you're thinking now that we've seen Stern's take on Batman 66...

#217 3 years ago

Ash vs Evil Dead is awesome and Bruce Campbell kicks some serious assess!!!!

1 week later
#218 2 years ago

Ok time for a long overdue update.

I was at expo so I got a chance to get a real closeup look of the new Stern Batman 66. I really liked it. I thought Stern did a great job integrating the theme into the art package. I was a big fan of the artist before I even knew he was doing the art package for the pinball machine. A cool surprise was that the artist, Chris Franchi, was at the autograph signing at expo. I was able to meet him and get some of his art signed along with the rest of the Batman 66 design team. Really glad I finally got a chance to meet him.

I was really impressed with the size and placement of the LCD. I think they found a great balance for a good sized color display while still having a decent amount of space for a traditional translite. Although it was only in attract mode the clips they showed looked good and captured the tone of the show. I was surprised that had clips of so many other villains playing. Everyone assumed the license for this game was a piggy backed off the one used for the slot machine. When I played the slot machine I only saw riddler, catwoman, and joker. I didn't see penguin at all or any of the the lesser villains. Maybe they are there, deeper in the game but I never saw them. I assumed they couldn't get approval from Burgess Meredith's estate and that's why he wasn't there (along with all the other sub-villains). Glad to see the Stern game will have Penguin and a lot more villains on display.

I wish the game was playable at expo but we were told it wasn't at a state they were ready to show it. Stern can't really win here though, if they showed the early code people would have complained, if they showed no code people will also complain. I've had a chance to get some time with a Stern BDK the last few weeks which uses the same crane mechanism which is on Batman 66 and I really like that toy. Its fun to shoot and by putting a cab on the crane with Penguin driving it is a great fit with the theme. I like how sometimes it just moves to a location and stays there until you shoot it and other times its moves quickly so you have to time it just right to make the shot. People were complaining about re-hashing the BDK game by including it but if its a good mechanism why not keep it? Steve Ritchie's cannon from T2 was fun and its just as fun on STNG and AC/DC. I also talked with Lyman and found out he is a big Batman fan as well. This makes me even more confident that that game will have great rules when its done. I was very impressed that Lyman knew all three Mr. Freezes from the show, Otto Preminger, George Sanders, and Eli Wallach. He said they are using the Otto Preminger Mr. Freeze in the game which is great since his was the most fun.

I agree with others who said the price is definitely high compared to what you are getting with other recent. When you consider that you could buy 3 ghost busters pro's for the same cost as a single Batman 66 SLE is crazy. I get that the idea is not getting more value for the money but rather exclusivity for the money. I also think the LE and Premium are also overpriced for what you get. I'm not sure if its just Stern capitalizing on a hot nostalgic theme or maybe this game really is costing them more to make for the license and also having Kapow getting their piece of the pie. If I wasn't a classic batman fan and didn't like the artist already then I'd definitely be out based on the large price increase. So based on everything I've seen so far I've decided to get in on the pre-order list. This could potentially be a "perfect storm" since it has my dream theme, an artist I love, and Lyman coding.

Since I getting the Stern Batman game I don't want my re-theme project to be Batman 66 as well. My game collection is way too small to have that redundancy on it. The main reason I wanted to do a re-theme was to try out another aspect of the pinball hobby that I hadn't tried yet. I wasn't doing it just because I wanted a classic Batman themed game, I wanted the experience of re-theming a game and Batman was going to be my vehicle to accomplish that.

After thinking about all the re-themes I could switch to, I have decided to go with the new Starz TV show "Ash vs The Evil Dead". It's funny and campy just like Batman, has great one liners for call outs, and has a fantastic 70's/80's classic rock soundtrack.

So I started another thread to continue where this one left off. You can find it here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ash-vs-evil-dead-retheme-project-from-diners-to-deadites#post-3417770

I hope to see you on the other thread. Thanks all the kind words and encouragement along the way. I hope my project inspires other pinsiders to go out of their comfort zone and try their own projects.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
2,800 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Blaine, TN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fredonia, NY
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside