20160805_180336_(resized).jpg
20160805_180242_(resized).jpg
20160728_212253_(resized).jpg
20160728_212241_(resized).jpg
IMG_0192_(resized).JPG
IMG_0179_(1)_(resized).JPG
IMG_0186_(resized).JPG
insert_off_(resized).jpg
There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 7 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

What the original movie for some ideas

I actually ripped the audio from the 1966 movie as well as all 3 seasons of the TV series into mp3 files. I've been listening to them in my car during my commute. Whenever I hear a good quote I write the episode number and time in a little notebook. There were a lot more subtle jokes than I remembered as a kid. The writers on the show were pretty clever.

#152 7 years ago

I got all my replacement clear and white inserts. It was a busy weekend so I didn't get a chance to replace the old inserts with the new yet.

Since the old inserts now have a varathane clear coat over them I'm hoping they aren't too difficult to remove. I could sand everything back down to the wood then remove them but then I'll just have to re-sand again once the new inserts are glued in. So I'll see if I can get the old ones out first just by using a heat gun. If they are too stuck, then Ill sand it all down again.

#153 7 years ago

Pardon the question if this has been covered but i couldn't find it... I am beginning a custom game undertaking and an trying to glean as much information as I can from other forum threads. Can someone please explain the reason for individual insert lettering versus the lettering just being a part of the table art print?
Thank you in advance. I love this theme and what you have done looks great I am very much interested in how this goes!
-Jim

#154 7 years ago
Quoted from jim5six:

Pardon the question if this has been covered but i couldn't find it... I am beginning a custom game undertaking and an trying to glean as much information as I can from other forum threads. Can someone please explain the reason for individual insert lettering versus the lettering just being a part of the table art print?
Thank you in advance. I love this theme and what you have done looks great I am very much interested in how this goes!
-Jim

I thought I'd have more flexibility if I made the insert lettering separate from the overlay. Using that method I was able to try a few different approaches with the inserts. If I made them part of the overlay then I'd have to reprint the entire overlay if I wanted to change anything.

A disadvantage with having the text as part of the overlay is that my clear overlay can't print white. So If I want colored text on the insert, I need to put white on the insert that aligns perfectly with the colored text on the overlay to they lay on top of each other perfectly. I was worried that this precise alignment would be too hard to achieve. So text on a clear overlay should be black unless you have white mask on your playfield. Many of my inserts were dark so black text would have been very hard to see. So i was able to use white water slide decals to make white bordered text that I though look better than just black text. If my inserts were clear or white than plain black text would have been OK.

That being said I have since decided to print the insert text as part of my overlay. When I installed the overlay I thought the text looked a little "hazy". even though I used an overlay with clear areas for the inserts it wasn't 100% clear and I didn't like how it looked.

Also, my first overlay had some alignment issues so I decided to redo it so the second one will have insert text as part of it. Since I was re-doing it I now had the chance to replace all my dark inserts with clear or white ones. This allows me to use black text and also allows me to have any color I want for the insert via a colored LED's. Changing all this is adding some more work but I think i like this approach better.

#155 7 years ago

Also wanted to point out that Varathane does yellow after it dries. For my first overlay I painted my playfield white. Then applied my waterslide decals to the inserts then put clear Varathane down to seal in the decals, then applied the overlay. When I removed the overlay it took off the top layer of Varathane in some areas (mostly around inserts). In the pic below you can see the change in color between the white paint only and white paint with Varanthane on top of it. I don't thinks its noticeable when the entire playfield is uniformly covered. Plus after the overlay is applied it would be even less noticeable. But based on this I'm going to try min wax polycrylic instead of
Varathane for my next attempt.

20160728_212241_(resized).jpg20160728_212241_(resized).jpg

20160728_212253_(resized).jpg20160728_212253_(resized).jpg

#156 7 years ago

I'm gluing the new clear and white inserts in today. Its a lot of tedious work removing the old inserts and getting all the old glue out. using a dremmel tool with a mini sand paper drum helps clear out the holes. I also need to tweak the shape of each insert by sanding them a little as they are all not a perfect fit.

I'll be going on vacation with the family for two weeks so the inserts will have plenty of time to dry but no new updates for a while. As part of our trip we'll have two days in San Francisco. I'm hoping we can squeeze in time for a quick visit to the pacific pinball museum.

20160805_180242_(resized).jpg20160805_180242_(resized).jpg

20160805_180336_(resized).jpg20160805_180336_(resized).jpg

20160806_080953_(resized).jpg20160806_080953_(resized).jpg

#157 7 years ago

Subscribed for the awesomeness!!!

This is great!

Chris

#158 7 years ago

docquest,
Thank you for your detailed response. I look forward to seeing how the now overlay works! Have a good vacation!
-Jim

#159 7 years ago

As a batman fan i'm really excited and intrigued to how this turns out; Just a shame i'm in the uk and will most probably never play it . Have you thought of using missionpinball to program this ?

#160 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

As a batman fan i'm really excited and intrigued to how this turns out; Just a shame i'm in the uk and will most probably never play it . Have you thought of using missionpinball to program this ?

Only if adding extra stuff (shaker, shocker, blinders, custom lighting, etc) goes beyond what I can do via pinduino type controllers and the pinsound board. I think I can get everything working using those mods with the existing board set.

I might do this in 2 phases. Phase1 would be a retheme with a few simple tings added. Phase 2 could be replace the board set with PROC or mission and add more customization like LCD replacing the current display for example.

#161 7 years ago

Subscribed! This thread is awesome.

#162 7 years ago

Is there a reason you do not paint the playfield white first before installing the new inserts? This is what I did on mine and it made life so much easier. No inserts to tape off!

#163 7 years ago

Wouldn't you still need to mask off the insert area to keep paint out of the hole?

I also wanted the playfield to be very flat so after I glue the inserts in then I sand the entire playfield super smooth then paint.

#164 7 years ago

I did not have a problem with enough paint getting into the openings to keep the inserts from going in. I also pre sand the faces of the inserts before installing them. I can get them pretty damn flat without needing to sand everything to level it out. Then I let the clearcoat take care of any minor discrepancies. Taping the inserts off leaves a lip around them anyway that needs to be compensated with clearcoat. So either way there may be some areas that need to be leveled out with clear.

#165 7 years ago

Did you sand the clear after it dried or did it self level enough on its own?

1 week later
#166 7 years ago

More photos of your playfield art, please!

#167 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

But based on this I'm going to try min wax polycrylic instead of
Varathane for my next attempt.

I'd skip that and go to SprayMax2K. It's a little more work, you gotta make sure you have proper safety gear for instance, but you'll get a crystal clear and durable proper two part auto clear finish. All the work you're doing, be a shame to not protect it properly.

#168 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Did you sand the clear after it dried or did it self level enough on its own?

Sorry, I missed this post.

I am pretty sure the clear self leveled but I would need to confirm this with my painter. I really don't remember him having to sand to level, but I will find out.

Edit: Okay, I spoke with my painter. As stated before the white was put down first before the inserts were installed. After the inserts were installed, the playfield was lightly sanded to level, then clear was applied which self leveled. Then the overlay was applied to the now level playfield and cleared over. No sanding needed for the clear covering the overlay.

#169 7 years ago

Just back from my 2 week vacation yesterday. Has a great time with the family but its good to be home. I tried to stay disconnected so I'm just getting caught up with pinside now and it it looks like a Batman 66 edition is actually happening from Stern.

I saw the Stern expo party flier which showed a VIP meet and greet with Adam West. It said to ask your distributor for details so I called one and it appears you need to pre-order a Batman 66 premium machine from Stern to get a ticket to the meet and greet. Unfortunately there is currently no info on the machine so that makes it difficult to be comfortable with a pre-order.

Rumors are all over the place on this one. Some say its just a re-skin of a Stern Batman Dark Knight with traditional DMD, others says its a whole new layout with a color LCD. If it is a new layout, with color LCD, video clips, and custom speech by Adam or Burt I'm seriously tempted to jump into this one. If the art package and video clips are similar to what was used on the slot machine I think it will look great

And if they use Chris Franchi for the playfield or translite art then it would be a real home run. Chris has done a lot of Batman art in the past and is the artist for the DVD cover of the new Batman 66 animated film. He has a nice description of the design of the DVD cover art on his Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/Metaluna-5-Media-169657579716029/

582163_502028193145631_261438381_n_(resized).jpg582163_502028193145631_261438381_n_(resized).jpg

#170 7 years ago

So the big question is what happens if I really like the new Stern version and decide to buy it.

Do I continue with my Batman re-theme and own 2 Batman 66 machines?
Do I skip the re-theme and just restore my playfield back to a Diner via a new overlay?
Do I re-theme the Diner into something else?

I already had an alternate idea for a re-theme in mind before settling on Batman (if you look at my pinside avatar you can probably guess what it is). If I change my re-theme idea I would would have to start over with new art elements but since I already have my inserts mapped it wouldn't take as long as the first time.

Decision, decisions. I guess I just need to sit tight and wait to see what the Stern version looks and plays like.

Someone earlier asked for the full playfield art. Here's what I came up with. Most of the art is from the Batman 66' comic.

bman_playfield_(resized).jpgbman_playfield_(resized).jpg

#171 7 years ago

Well for sure you gotta wait to see what they got. Your machine is pretty darn good IMO. I really like everything you have shown so far. They might not top it.

#172 7 years ago

I'm sure the guy that turned a flash gordon into a ghostbusters is still holding onto it even though Stern made one.

#173 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'm sure the guy that turned a flash gordon into a ghostbusters is still holding onto it even though Stern made one.

That would be pinsider betelgeuse. You can check out his excellent Flash Gordon to Ghostbusters retheme via these threads:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-look-ghostbusters-custom
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-custom-pinball-official-video
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ghostbusters-custom-pinball-inside-look

His thread was also an inspiration to try my own. I saw a few of his posts on the various Ghostbusters threads and saw he ordered a Ghostbusters premium. He has since canceled due to what I assume are playfield concerns. Not sure if he'll re-order it once Stern solves their problem.

A big difference between me and betelgeuse is that he finished his re-theme a few years before the stern version came out. I should ask him if would have continued with his theme if Stern Ghostbusters came out while he was in the overlay design stage of his version or if he would have choosen another theme instead.

Another problem is I don't have a lot of room in the basement so two Batman 66 pins would be a bit much. I like to keep as much variety as I can in my small space.

#174 7 years ago

Johnny Quest would be awesome.
We could bomb the invisible Electric Blob monster with paint bombs.
The giant black spider would have to go on it as well.

#175 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Johnny Quest would be awesome.
We could bomb the invisible Electric Blob monster with paint bombs.
The giant black spider would have to go on it as well.

It certainly would. Dr Zin, Lizard men, The Pterodactyl, all great stuff.

I was wondering though if an EM machine would be a better fit for Jonny though?
That was on my shortlist for when Batman is done.

Also a huge fan of the modern take on Jonny, The Venture Bros.
I love the episode where they paid homage to the giant walking eye from Jonny Quest.
The benefits of a walking eye are many and clear.

#176 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

It certainly would. Dr Zin, Lizard men, The Pterodactyl, all great stuff.
I was wondering though if an EM machine would be a better fit for Jonny though?
That was on my shortlist for when Batman is done.
Also a huge fan of the modern take on Jonny, The Venture Bros.
I love the episode where they paid homage to the giant walking eye from Jonny Quest.
The benefits of a walking eye are many and clear.
» YouTube video

Venture Bros would be awesome.

#177 7 years ago

Never heard of the Venture Bros.
Will have to check that out.

#178 7 years ago

Jonny Quest would be fricking awesome. Lots to pull from. Either retheme would be great. I personally wouldn't feel the need for it to be an EM.

#179 7 years ago

I would stick to your plan. Your Batman is build on a more traditional machine, the Diner. If a new batman VE will come, it will be a DMD and totally different experience. Will it be the same '66 version or just a comic style version, we don't know? The new VE will compete with the old Batman (2010) machine, same like the Spiderman and spiderman VE, as the shots and layout are the same.
So stick to the plan, make a great machine, show it off and enjoy your unique piece. If I had the time, I would love to do something like you do....maybe someday...

#180 7 years ago
Quoted from Insane:

Jonny Quest would be fricking awesome. Lots to pull from. Either retheme would be great. I personally wouldn't feel the need for it to be an EM.

Hmmmm..... Maybe a Jonny Quest EM and a companion Venture Bros solid state? Sorta fits.the shows since Venture Bros is a more modern funny take of the older classic Jonny Quest.

#181 7 years ago
Quoted from PeterG:

I would stick to your plan. Your Batman is build on a more traditional machine, the Diner. If a new batman VE will come, it will be a DMD and totally different experience. Will it be the same '66 version or just a comic style version, we don't know? The new VE will compete with the old Batman (2010) machine, same like the Spiderman and spiderman VE, as the shots and layout are the same.
So stick to the plan, make a great machine, show it off and enjoy your unique piece. If I had the time, I would love to do something like you do....maybe someday...

I think my decision depends what the new stern machine is like. If it's different layout than DK with a color LCD that would sway me to get one a lot more than just a simple response skin of DK with DMD.

If i decide to buy it then I won't want two 66 batman machines. If i don't buy it then I think I'll continue as planned.

#182 7 years ago

For Catwoman, maybe no hold on the flippers as Batman often had a problem holding onto Catwoman as he would turn to putty a bit with her seduction.

#183 7 years ago

I would go for Johnny Quest as that will likely never be made. While it sucks that your Batman idea (which would have been totally cool and unique) now has been usurped, take the opportunity to do something that would be truly one of a kind.

#184 7 years ago
Quoted from Arcade:

Never heard of the Venture Bros.
Will have to check that out.

Oh man, I'm kinda jealous, just because now you can binge watch some of the best written cartoon action ever. I love that show so much.

#185 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Oh man, I'm kinda jealous, just because now you can binge watch some of the best written cartoon action ever. I love that show so much.

Agreed. How many cool things do you think back and wish you could do that for the first time again. Venture Brothers, Twin Peaks, Galaxy Express 999.

#186 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'd say the same for rick & morty

#187 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

» YouTube video

Rick and morty was on my retheme shortlist as well.

#188 7 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I've heard good things, but haven't watched. Sounds like I need to.

#189 7 years ago

I'm really loving this retheme. Probably my favorite that I've ever seen.

Quoted from Aurich:

You really need to.

#190 7 years ago

I know you're moving on, but I was just thinking:

"Police Force would have been a great choice for the Re-Theme". Williams was planning to do Batman but they lost the license to DE so they had Python re-theme the game. I have a spare PF playfield, now you have me thinking...

#191 7 years ago

Dude, sitck with that awesome Batman 66 re-theme! If you change it, I'll drain this thread! (that's all the pressure I can make)

#192 7 years ago
Quoted from awarner:

I know you're moving on, but I was just thinking:
"Police Force would have been a great choice for the Re-Theme". Williams was planning to do Batman but they lost the license to DE so they had Python re-theme the game. I have a spare PF playfield, now you have me thinking...

I was thinking about using police force for a while because I know about its Batman history. The reason I didn't was because I couldn't use the pinsound board with it. Changing the audio mix is a lot easier with pinsound so I decided to limit my choices to pinsound supported machines. Plus I think the layout of Diner fit my theme integration better and i think it's a better game than police force (sorry police force fans).

#193 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Dude, sitck with that awesome Batman 66 re-theme! If you change it, I'll drain this thread! (that's all the pressure I can make)

Still waiting to find out what stern does with their version of Batman 66. If the art looks good I'll be very tempted to get it. If the art is good but they don't use the classic voices or music I can always change those via pinball browser.

An advantage of the stern version over mine version would be the display. I still haven't figured out how to hack the text in the sys11c display. In the stern version it will have either a DMD or LCD which will be full of Batman 66 goodness.

A lot of the "gadgets" I was thinking about adding to my retheme ( blinders covering flippers, disabling flippers, elec shock to lock down bar, bat computer with vid clips, etc could also be put into the stern version if I wanted to as well.

Hoping stern release some more info soon so I can decide which way to go. The anticipation is killing me.

#194 7 years ago

The toys for a Batman 66 could be incredible. But with the Diner re-theme turning the bottomless coffee cup into the Bat Cave reactor would be awesome.

Bat-Cave (resized).jpgBat-Cave (resized).jpg

#195 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

The toys for a Batman 66 could be incredible. But with the Diner re-theme turning the bottomless coffee cup into the Bat Cave reactor would be awesome.

Diner cup would also be a nice fit for the flying cocoon lair of the monarch.

#196 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

elec shock to lock down bar

Ouch....knowing my luck I'd get electrocuted. Can you imagine the obituary.

Quoted from docquest:

The anticipation is killing me.

Me too! Until this is resolved, I've locked down further spending, on all but food. Speaking of food, they've gotta show Batman and Robin stuck in ice cream cones.

#197 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

you REALLY need to!

#198 7 years ago
Quoted from taz:

they've gotta show Batman and Robin stuck in ice cream cones.

like this

batman_on_ice (resized).pngbatman_on_ice (resized).png

#199 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yes, you really need to.

#200 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I was thinking about using police force for a while because I know about its Batman history. The reason I didn't was because I couldn't use the pinsound board with it. Changing the audio mix is a lot easier with pinsound so I decided to limit my choices to pinsound supported machines. Plus I think the layout of Diner fit my theme integration better and i think it's a better game than police force (sorry police force fans).

Or... Start over with P-Roc. I'm doing a Sexy Girl (Bally Playboy) with P-Roc. Then you have no limits on video, audio, anything really. Just a thought... I'm also trying to figure out how to afford a Stern B66!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 22.50
$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-retheme-project-from-diner-to-caped-crusader/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.