Topic Stats

• 218 posts
  • 64 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by docquest
  • Topic is favorited by 118 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 97 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

MI0000137914 (resized).jpg
514lHyn6PAL._SS500 (resized).jpg
ashcs (resized).jpg
batman_on_ice (resized).png
Bat-Cave (resized).jpg
bman_playfield_(resized).jpg
582163_502028193145631_261438381_n_(resized).jpg
20160806_080953_(resized).jpg
20160805_180336_(resized).jpg
20160805_180242_(resized).jpg
20160728_212253_(resized).jpg
20160728_212241_(resized).jpg
IMG_0192_(resized).JPG
IMG_0179_(1)_(resized).JPG
IMG_0186_(resized).JPG
insert_off_(resized).jpg

There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 3 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Spell check needed on Batusi!

Nice catch. I was wondering if anyone noticed that. That was an early test decal. I've since fixed it on the current inserts. I wasn't sure if it should be "Bat-Tusi" or "Batusi". I went with "Batusi" since the insert is small and I wanted it a little bigger to make it more legible.

#102 3 years ago

Good call on the spelling. That's how it's spelled on the merch. By the way this is looking great! Really enjoying this thread.

3203796-dsc05058_(resized).jpg

#103 3 years ago

I never saw that Batusi TV collectible. That's pretty cool. A dancing Batusi Batman figure in a retro TV case.

When you get the Batusi mode active (same as Rush mode in Diner) I'll play video footage.of Batman doing the Batusi on my mini LCD screen amd play the batusi music. My mini LCD will be mounted in the Bat computer (was the cash register toy in Diner).

#104 3 years ago

Gotcha topper!

s-l1600_(1)_(resized).jpg

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

When you get the Batusi mode active (same as Rush mode in Diner) I'll play video footage.of Batman doing the Batusi on my mini LCD screen amd play the batusi music. My mini LCD will be mounted in the Bat computer (was the cash register toy in Diner).

GTFO

You must be kidding me. That is awesome. Can this keep getting any better?

#106 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I never saw that Batusi TV collectible. That's pretty cool. A dancing Batusi Batman figure in a retro TV case.
» YouTube video

Is that Miss Tiffany Case from James Bond's Diamonds are Forever at the bar with him?

#107 3 years ago

Way ahead of you. Moviestop stores near me are going out of business and I already picked up these 3 with a nice discount.

topper_figs_(resized).jpg

#108 3 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Is that Miss Tiffany Case from James Bond's Diamonds are Forever at the bar with him?

Sure is. The lovely Jill St John as go go dancer and part time Riddler hench-woman, Molly. That's from the premier episode of the series. I love it when she puts on the mission impossible style mask to pretend she was Robin. Amazing that she would have been able to fit that body into Robins custom. As a kid I never would have questioned it but as an adult its hilarious. Another great Batman quote after she accidentally falls in the Bat cave atomic reactor, "What a way to go go".

jsj-con-riddler_(resized).jpg

#109 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Way ahead of you. Moviestop stores near me are going out of business and I already picked up these 3 with a nice discount.

These bust coin banks are so cool.... I have some as toppers on my SWT, CftBL and Freddy!

#110 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

These bust coin banks are so cool.... I have some as toppers on my SWT, CftBL and Freddy!

For future Alien pinball owners they have Alien heads and Ghostuster lovers can get Sta-Puft marshmallow man in original or extra crispy version.

#111 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

For future Alien pinball owners they have Alien heads and Ghostuster lovers can get Sta-Puft marshmallow man in original or extra crispy version.

I didn't see the GB pieces yet but the Alien busts are very nice... Love the Alien Queen and the Predator busts too!

#112 3 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I didn't see the GB pieces yet but the Alien busts are very nice... Love the Alien Queen and the Predator busts too!

Regular and extra crispy

ghostbusters-vinyl-bank-11-staypuft_(resized).jpg

DC644869lg_(resized).jpg

#113 3 years ago

I dropped my final playfield art file to the printer last week and I'm still waiting. I wanted to do it local so I could show/explain what I was trying to do but this is taking a long time. I'm assuming this "one-off" work isn't something they are too excited about. A few other print places I tried in my area didn't never called back with a price estimate once I told them what I wanted. Maybe I should try one of those online print on demand places and take my chances?

In the meantime i started looking into using one of those micro display screens for my bat computer. I already had one of the OLED 1.5" 128x128 pixel displays (μOLED-128-G2-GFX, same one used in the Tron arcade mod) from a previous project.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11676

I ripped some video to it from the TV show to see how it looks.

http://vid1188.photobucket.com/albums/z401/docquest5/oled/lcd%20test_zps3wmxsalp.mp4

The display looks a little washed out in that video clip but it looks much better in person. The scrolling is also much less noticeable in person. This particular display has an aspect ratio of 1 so the video is a little squished. If I decide to use this display I would either have to letterbox my video slightly or just crop off a little on the sides. the alternative is to use another display with a a more retro TV aspect ratio of 1.33. There is a display with the perfect 1.33 ratio, uLCD-32PTU-GFX, and it would fit in the Diner cash register but its a lot more pixels to render at 320x240. These displays weren't meant to be full motion video display devices. They were more meant to be GUI screens with pictures and text and occasional video snippets. Keeping up a decent refresh rate (10-15 frames per second at minimum) might be too much at that screen resolution. I think I'll buy one just to experiment with it.

#114 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

The display looks a little washed out in that video clip but it looks much better in person. The scrolling is also much less noticeable in person. This particular display has an aspect ratio of 1 so the video is a little squished.

Coming along nice. And I agree...a little tinkering or trial & error might be in order given how much time you're putting into this. There must be a reason why the AC/DC mod and JJP's Hobbit mini-screen are the size they are.

1 week later
#115 3 years ago

(off-topic) - For those who like slots (I loved it)!

13516581_290393511294089_3047179910396196874_n_(resized).png

1 week later
#116 3 years ago

BUMP! I mean.... POW!

DCL16465lg_(resized).jpg

#117 3 years ago

This project is fantastic! I ran into you at Pintastic this weekend, and thought it was such a great idea I had to look up this thread.
I have a craft cutter, and would be happy to cut you any stencils you might need. The Silhouette craft cutters have a PixScan feature that lets you print something on a computer, then the cutter can cut our around the print. The software handles the alignment/registration automatically. That could be very handy for trimming around decals.

#118 3 years ago

Ok time for an update. I brought 5 machines to the pintastic show this year and my time getting them ready for the show. Most were in good working order but one of them was my first all inclusive restoration of an EM machine, in this case Centigrade 37. I got in a little over my head so it consumed most of my free time for the last few weeks. Thus no significant updates on Batman. After I recover from the weekend I 'll put up a restoration thread on my C37 and get back to work on Batman

However before I began my nightly swearing session at the EM gods I did have some progress on my overlay that I can update you with.

I wanted to use a local printer to make my overlay. I thought that way I could talk with someone face to face and show/explain what I was doing and they would recommend to best way to do it. I’ve found that trying to explain what you are doing with an overlay for a pinball machine regarding is very difficult. Using a white or clear vinyl overlay on a pinball playfield is a very unusual application compared to what they are used to doing. The printer I found was only 2 minutes from my house and seemed very receptive to the project when I talked to him. He gave me two very small sample pieces of clear backed and white back vinyl to play with and said the cost of a playfield sized overlay decal of that size would be in the neighborhood of about $100. I dropped off my art a few weeks ago for printing. After about a week of not hear anything I called them and the sales person I talked to (not the same guy I talked to initially) said they were backed up at the moment and their designers didn’t have a chance to go over my artwork yet. I thought it was all set to print but I guess they want someone to look it over before printing. A received about a week later with their estimate. Needless to say I was shocked at their revised cost, about 2.5x over what I was thinking it would be. Here's a snapshot of the bottom line.

fastsigns_(resized).JPG

#119 3 years ago

Based on this I decided to look into some of the many online print services that are available. The one I choose was http://www.echodgraphics.com in new York city. Their price seemed very reasonable and I liked how their website lets you order everything ala carte such as type of material, type of ink, lamination or not, etc. The price shown below doesn't include the $10 shipping cost, so total cost with them was only about $70. You can also do a proof print which is a small portion or your image (18" x 18" of whole image shrunk or cropped portion of un-scaled image) printed on actual material to verify color match before printing the full image. The proofing option is $35 extra so I just decided to go with the free digital proof (they send you a digital image to verify content is correct). They were also very fast from time of ordering to my door was less than 1 week.

echodgraphics_(resized).JPG

#120 3 years ago

Things weren't entirely rosy when the overlay came in. They apparently used the wrong type of overlay and it had a very matte sort of textured finish. They handled it great through when I brought it to their attention. I had a full replacement overlay within 3 days that looked great.

Here's the first printing which had the finish problem.

overlay_1_(resized).jpg

#121 3 years ago

Here's the second printing which looked much better.

overlay_2_(resized).jpg

#122 3 years ago

The good part about getting interrupted by Pintastic was it gave my varathane clearcoat more time to cure. So this weekend I'll get back to work on it.

Before I apply the overlay I need to make a new hole in the playfield. I decided to add a "bat gadget" that will be enabled when a particular villain is active. Lets see who can guess what it is.

The hints are:

Its a very cool toy borrowed from another pinball machine.

It will be turned on only when Penguin is lit since the toy fits that villain.

It's something that will make it more difficult for you to defeat the Penguin.

As mentioned above, I will need to drill a hole in the playfield to mount it.

Anyone know what it could be?

penguin_gas_(resized).jpg

#123 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

The one I choose was http://www.echodgraphics.com in new York city

Ooh, they do white ink printing for an extra $3 sq/foot. I'll have to remember that
http://www.echodgraphics.com/category1.asp?cid=138&iid=13313

#124 3 years ago
Quoted from FunkyFreshWalrus:

This project is fantastic! I ran into you at Pintastic this weekend, and thought it was such a great idea I had to look up this thread.
I have a craft cutter, and would be happy to cut you any stencils you might need. The Silhouette craft cutters have a PixScan feature that lets you print something on a computer, then the cutter can cut our around the print. The software handles the alignment/registration automatically. That could be very handy for trimming around decals.

Thanks for the offer i may take you up on that on some of playfield toys artwork i might need later.

#125 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Here's the second printing which looked much better.

OMG, This pin will be sooooo cool!

1 week later
#126 3 years ago

I did some more research on applying decals and decided to spend the extra $10 on some rapid tac.

http://www.rapidtac.com/

rapidtac_(resized).jpg

#127 3 years ago

I definitely don't want to apply the overlay dry since it will be very hard to get it precisely place in one attempt. Some people argue that the soapy water or Windex homemade solution is the same as rapid tac but for $10 I'll spend the money just in case. Rapid tac claims vinyl decals will actually bond better using rapid tac vs just dry application. I guess I'll see how it works myself in a few days. If it works well I'll also use it on my side and head decals.

Still no guesses on what my Penguin pinball gadget I mentioned a few posts above is?
Here's a clue; Its a mechanism from a Data East game.

#128 3 years ago

I was thinking it's the flipper blinders from tommy.

#129 3 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

I was thinking it's the flipper blinders from tommy.

We have a winner.
Sorry no prize.

When penguin is the current villian selected I want the blinders to open and block the players view of the flipper area. After you defeat penguin and go to the next villian they will close back under the apron. I'll put an umbrella graphic on it so it looks like an umbrella is opening and closing.

downloadfile.gif

#130 3 years ago

I have a few interference problems i need to deal with that are keeping me from centering it where I want. Here's a short video showing my test of controlling it with an arduino.

#131 3 years ago

i like this thread you have some fun and neat ideas! in my fav's list and will be tuning in

#132 3 years ago

I have an apron from a Guns and Roses game that I'll need to use instead of the current apron. I had to cut the left side of it off so it would fit in Diner. This apron is all open in the front so the blinders can come in and out. Since it's open I'll need to make some new guides to keep the ball from going under the apron.

My rapid tac should be arriving tomorrow or Friday so I'll finally get to apply the overlay this weekend. On the plus side it's given me plenty of time for the varathane to cure on the playfield.

#133 3 years ago

how does an arduino work? can you set points for open close where you want it to of only full open full close? does it measure resistance to stop the servo at full open/close? the motor looks like a servo from an RC car, you can get those with a middle spindle (rather than an end like currently) to shorten the throw and get it closer to center. you could also try rotating the current servo 180deg and see how the geometry works on that but i would do it by hand before trying it with the juice and break something

#134 3 years ago

I want each villian to have their own gimmick to try and mess with you as you play.

Penguin gets the blinders as shown.

Joker will get a shaker to "shock" you. I might also have an optional wrist strap or finger ring you could put on so it actually shocks you when Joker starts heckling you.

Still thinking about the other villians. For Catwoman she had an episode where she had a dart gun that could put Batman in a"Cat-atonic" state by paralyzing them. For this I was thinking to freeze the flippers randomly when catwoman was active. To unfreeze them I would have a button labeled "universal bat antidote" that when you hit restores the flippers. I like a task that requires you to remove you hand from the flippers to keep going. Kinda like in SWE1 where you need to manually plunge the balls while fighting Darth Maul.

For Riddler and King Tut I don't know what to do. Maybe unique lighting tricks? Some kind of UV mode. When Riddler is active UV lights turn on that illiminate a bunch of question marks all over the place you could not see before? Or maybe a strobe effect (like hypno beam in RFM) to try and blind you?

If you got any other cool ideas post them.

#135 3 years ago

Those villain modes sound awesome! You must have some real know-how to even consider some of this stuff.

For the Riddler you could do a couple of things at once - Maybe take a page out of the Space Station Green mode and have have all the normal GI go out and everything is lit up in Green and maybe have it flashing. Then to add the riddle element to it you could reverse the flippers (not sure if that is possible) while the playfield is strobing green.

Wizard mode could combine all the villain modes! Imagine trying to make shots with the penguin blinders up, cat-atonic paralysis and reverse flippers on a strobing green playfield.

#136 3 years ago
Quoted from ls1chris:

how does an arduino work? can you set points for open close where you want it to of only full open full close? does it measure resistance to stop the servo at full open/close? the motor looks like a servo from an RC car, you can get those with a middle spindle (rather than an end like currently) to shorten the throw and get it closer to center. you could also try rotating the current servo 180deg and see how the geometry works on that but i would do it by hand before trying it with the juice and break something

Arduino servo library lets you set exact positions for servo starting and stopping as well as speed. Tons of info here:
https://www.arduino.cc/

The blinders are a repro set meant for a Tommy. It can with all the parts ready to bolt onto a Tommy. I'm trying to avoid recreating new linkages to make it all fit perfect. If I trim the plastic base a little I can make it fairly close to center but not perfectly center. This will probably look fine.

If you remember whenever they showed the bat villains in their hideout the camera was never straight and plumb it was always off center a little because the villains were "crooked". Never noticed that as a kid. So maybe being a little off center fits the theme.

batman66villains_(resized).png

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from Gerrard17:

Those villain modes sound awesome! You must have some real know-how to even consider some of this stuff.
For the Riddler you could do a couple of things at once - Maybe take a page out of the Space Station Green mode and have have all the normal GI go out and everything is lit up in Green and maybe have it flashing. Then to add the riddle element to it you could reverse the flippers (not sure if that is possible) while the playfield is strobing green.
Wizard mode could combine all the villain modes! Imagine trying to make shots with the penguin blinders up, cat-atonic paralysis and reverse flippers on a strobing green playfield.

That would be a wild wizard mode with everyting active at once, I like it!

I also like the reverse flippers idea. If I need to add a relay to paralyze the flippers it would probably be easy to also make it reverse the flippers.

King Tut had an episode where he made a mind control juice call "Abu Rambu Simbu Tu". Maybe that could be the reverse flipper mode since he is "controlling you". I could keep them that way until you again hit the batman universal antidote button.

Batman-Robin-1966-TV-King-Tut_(resized).jpg

#138 3 years ago

Love the ideas for Penguin and Joker!

For Riddler, how about turning off all the insert lights, and putting riddles on the alpha numeric display in order for someone to figure out what they need to shoot next? The player is forced to "play in the dark," which seems like a very Riddler thing to do...

For Catwoman, you could do a timed mode, and have her "steal" your ball locks, or your progress from other modes if you don't win the mode in time?

#139 3 years ago
Quoted from Knoler:

Love the ideas for Penguin and Joker!
For Riddler, how about turning off all the insert lights, and putting riddles on the alpha numeric display in order for someone to figure out what they need to shoot next? The player is forced to "play in the dark," which seems like a very Riddler thing to do...
For Catwoman, you could do a timed mode, and have her "steal" your ball locks, or your progress from other modes if you don't win the mode in time?

Since I think Diner has an nearly perfect rule set and layout already I'm trying to just use the current board set in the game. I'm trying to add the new features via add on mods. If I can't get the new mods to trigger or behave like I want them to then I'll have to migrate to a totally new board set like a proc.

The only thing I'm not sure how to change using the current board set is the display. The text strings aren't shown in the display ROMs hex code so I still need to figure out to to update text on the alpha numeric display. My current plan is to use pinmame as a simulator and start playing with english vs other language versions of the display ROMs until I find where the text is located in the code.

Anyone hack the display ROMs on a system 11C before got any tips?

#140 3 years ago

Got my rapid tac on Friday and went ahead with the overlay install this weekend. Unfortunately things didn't as smooth as I had hoped. Prior to printing the overlay I printed it on paper to test the alignment and everything looked good. When I applied the it looked like it was a little small. So either my paper print was printing a little too big and the overlay printed a little small or a combination of the two.

For the inserts on the left side outlanes the overlay was too far to the left. However for the outlanes on the right the overlay is to far to the right. so if I centered on one side it would make the other side worse. So my only choice was to pick a compromise point that minimized the offset. But as you can see in the pics below there is still a bit of misalignment. So it looks like I'll need to re-position the art elements and order a new overlay. Not a huge deal just disappointing to have to re-do again.

left_side_signals_(resized).jpg

right_side_signals_(resized).jpg

#141 3 years ago

Other inserts we off as well.

insert_off_(resized).jpg

#142 3 years ago

Another realization after installing the overlay was that the clear parts of the overlay weren't entirely clear, which I expected to an extent. But the text under the overlay looks a little to hazy and not as crisp as i'd like.

The main reason I went with black text with a white border via water slide decals was because that was the only way you could see the text on the darker inserts. On Diner, a bunch of the inserts were dark red and green. If the inserts were all lighter ones or clear or white then I could use simple black text. If I stick to just black text I could have the text printed on the overlay instead of using the water slide approach. If the text is printed on the overlay it will be darker and crisper.

So even though its a bit of extra work I think I'm going to strip the playfield and redo the inserts with clear/white inserts. In addition to making the insert text easier by printing it with the overlay it will also allow me to use multi-color LED's for the inserts. So I'll have a lot of flexibility with my color choices later.

I don't mind doing the extra work as I think it will look better.

#143 3 years ago

Isn't it Batusi instead of Batsui ?

#144 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Some people argue that the soapy water or Windex homemade solution is the same as rapid tac

And they would be wrong

Quoted from docquest:

Rapid tac claims vinyl decals will actually bond better using rapid tac vs just dry application.

And they would be right.

Good call using Rapid Tac.

#145 3 years ago

I have an idea for the Riddler mode, how about the score runs backwards till a shot to the target or orbit gets made, then it pauses for say 3 seconds then starts counting down again till you hit the next shot etc.

#146 3 years ago

I apply the clear overlays wet. I use wet paper towel wet across the surface of playfield. I lay the overlay on top & spray the adhesive side with water & drop of liquid soap in the bottle. Lift it up & flip it so its folded (u shape), keep spraying the overlay & playfield. Pick some lenses in the outlane or middle. Lay only that section (6"), keep redoing these steps until you are happy. If it still isn't correct after laying flat, spray again to both surfaces & continue on. It takes me 5 - 20 times to get best fit. My printer does them on clear film & cold laminates them for protection.

IMG_0186_(resized).JPG

IMG_0179_(1)_(resized).JPG

IMG_0192_(resized).JPG

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from fanuminski:

Isn't it Batusi instead of Batsui ?

I had that typo early on and made new decals but one of the old ones was still in my pile of decals. Yet another reason to do a second attempt.

#148 3 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I have an idea for the Riddler mode, how about the score runs backwards till a shot to the target or orbit gets made, then it pauses for say 3 seconds then starts counting down again till you hit the next shot etc.

That would be very cool. If i decide to go with new board set instead of the current board and code rules I'll definitely put that on the rules idea list.

Any other games run the score backwards?

#149 3 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I apply the clear overlays wet. I use wet paper towel wet across the surface of playfield. I lay the overlay on top & spray the adhesive side with water & drop of liquid soap in the bottle. Lift it up & flip it so its folded (u shape), keep spraying the overlay & playfield. Pick some lenses in the outlane or middle. Lay only that section (6"), keep redoing these steps until you are happy. If it still isn't correct after laying flat, spray again to both surfaces & continue on. It takes me 5 - 20 times to get best fit. My printer does them on clear film & cold laminates them for protection.

That's pretty much how I did it except I was using the rapid tac instead of soap and water.

I knew pretty quickly that I was in trouble when I tried to center the left and right out lanes inserts.

#150 3 years ago

Watch the original movie for some ideas

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 229.00
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
2,800 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Blaine, TN
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
There are 218 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside