Topic Stats

• 14,640 posts
  • 548 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by docquest
  • Topic is favorited by 215 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,169 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20191017_130548 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191017_130713 (resized).jpg
Bat Copter Installed (resized).jpg
Title (resized).jpg
Board Set Under the Platfield (resized).jpg
Overview of Bat Copter (resized).jpg
IMG-20191013-WA0034 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191013_184145 (resized).jpg
BA97A0F8-107D-4077-B3DF-98CD6827EF76 (resized).jpeg
CB6F95C0-4BAF-4A09-BD55-A26D728BB77A (resized).jpeg
37C12AEF-440E-4127-B25A-9220071DEBBA (resized).jpeg
30339673-5806-4FEA-AA6A-BAFBC579FE9D (resized).jpeg
20191006_153609922_iOS (resized).jpg
20175E4A-6449-45AB-8077-2DFC194618A5 (resized).jpeg
6D8EF379-11FC-4DB8-A72C-DF6691EA4F2E (resized).jpeg
3E4CA27E-CE4F-4BF0-A25B-33C12E89C4E8 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

47 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20

Post #366 Adding the Batsignal to LE Posted by docquest (2 years ago)

Post #402 Very detailed review Posted by MT45 (2 years ago)

Post #457 DocQuests Helicopter comparison. Posted by docquest (2 years ago)

Post #463 Docquest's vehicle comparison Posted by docquest (2 years ago)

Post #501 Version 0.65 Code released Posted by PiperPinball (2 years ago)

Post #564 Docquest's helicopter install. Posted by docquest (2 years ago)

Post #1159 Adjusting the Magnet Posted by PiperPinball (2 years ago)

Post #1234 Helicopter attachment. Posted by docquest (2 years ago)

Post #1314 Photos of Episode 111 Machine Posted by iceman44 (2 years ago)

Post #1322 Version 0.68 Code released Posted by ATLpb (2 years ago)

Post #1649 How to level the turntable mech on Batman 66. Posted by rlslick (2 years ago)

Post #1658 Version 0.69 code released Posted by PinB (2 years ago)

Post #1914 How to Diagnose "Stuck Joker" targets. Posted by vireland (2 years ago)

Post #2008 Version 0.70 Code released Posted by frolic (2 years ago)

Post #2353 Version 0.71 Code released Posted by frolic (2 years ago)

Post #2556 Version 0.75 Code released Posted by vireland (2 years ago)

Post #2755 Game Adjustment #139 for Enabling Attract Mode Music Posted by thundergod76 (2 years ago)

Post #2873 Link to announcement of Batman'66 Accessories. Posted by Rasavage (2 years ago)

Post #2926 BatSignal Beacon information. Posted by MK6PIN (2 years ago)

Post #3369 docquest's full helicopter guide. Posted by docquest (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8682 1 year ago

I'll be joining the B66 Premium club next month. I wasn't intending to put a shaker motor in it but after a little research, the cost and difficulty of installation is well within my means and ability. Three questions:

1) Does a shaker motor add anything to the experience on a machine you play almost daily, or is it a novelty that quickly wears off?
2) Is stuff going to break faster?
3) I assume a shaker can be disabled in settings. Correct?

2 weeks later
#9016 1 year ago
Quoted from Mojosan:

Does anyone know the name of the voice actor who did the “Gotham City” opening call outs on Batman 66?

It’s either Batman Producer/Narrator William Dozier or a very good impersonator.

#9020 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Given that he died in 1991, it's not him.
The voice has the right intonations, but I wouldn't call him an impersonator.

I assumed, like all of the video, it was just lifted from the original show.

2 weeks later
#9210 1 year ago

I’m finally in!

1665513A-D17B-4450-8EEC-FC0BDE280E55 (resized).jpeg

#9243 1 year ago

I apologize if this is a newb question but what does the Novelty setting in utilities do? I installed it expecting hijinx in the call outs but didn’t notice anything different.

#9247 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Usually it's just another set of presets like Easy, Hard, Director's Cut, etc. Novelty usually cuts out extra balls and free games and maybe some other stuff. I never use it, so not 100% sure. I haven't loaded it in years.

Ah! You’re right. That’s exactly what it’s doing. I guess that’s handy for turnover on location. Still don’t understand why it’s called “novelty”.

#9266 1 year ago

Mine has a build date of February 27, 2018. It still flys out of the left ramp wire form on occasion.

#9314 1 year ago

I’ve had this machine for a week now, and it just occurred to me that I still have no idea how to use gadgets or what they’re for.

#9386 1 year ago

Can anyone tell me how to reset high scores? I looked through adjustments and the best I could find was a reset after 100 games. My high score right now is due to some glass-off experimentation and I’d like to void it.

2 weeks later
#9622 1 year ago

The music is perfect for Ertha Kitt’s Catwoman. The Penguin / Batgirl music is just...confusing. Are these original Nelson Riddle or Billy May arrangements or did Stern commission them for the game?

#9627 1 year ago
Quoted from Sethman:

I don’t know, but it needs to be used for more than it is now. It’s second only to the mini lcd in being underutilized.

I guess it could be used as an obstacle to make the cat ramps more challenging in a Catwoman mode.

#9676 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Has anyone worked out how to activate this? My wife absolutely kicks my arse on this game and I need all the help I can get.
All I have worked out is you hold the left flipper before you plunge (I think this only works on the first ball) and then I do not know what happens next.
Thanks

Took me a while to figure it out. On your first ball before the plunge hold down the right flipper button until an episode title appears, press the left flipper button once to make the new show title appear. Let go of the buttons and repeat the process to select the other new episodes for each major villain.

#9682 1 year ago
Quoted from frolic:

I hate to say anything critical of the game, but this is not intuitive. Most people would have no idea to press the right button, and even when you do you're confused about how it will all work.
I wonder if a simpler way of handling this would be to make the Major Villains a "pick your episode" just like with the Minor Villains. So, basically, say you start Joker, you get an episode selection right then.

I like your idea, but it would only work if the magnet held on to your ball after you answer the phone long enough to make your selection. Nine out of ten times I answer the batphone the magnet fails to capture the ball.

2 weeks later
#9849 1 year ago
Quoted from txstargazer3:

My Premium was built February 02, 2018 and it has the two piece magnet. Works great.

Hey! Our machines have the same birthday! Hope they didn't get mixed up in the delivery room.

#9859 1 year ago

Crap! Node 10 (turntable) just went down. Anybody got the troubleshooting steps for this handy?

#9861 1 year ago
Quoted from J85M:

Off the top of my head I can’t recall which board no.10 is but something that has worked for me the one time I had an issue was the universally recognised turn off and back on again.
If that doesn’t sort it try unplugging all connectors going in/out of the board, then give it a good old fashioned SNES/Mega Drive cartridge blow and plug connectors back in, boot up and try again.
Failing that get on the phone to Stern ASAP!

I tried all that except the phone call. I used the contact form on the Stern website. I’ll call on Monday unless someone here hands me a magic bullet.

#9863 1 year ago

Does this look right to anybody who’s had a good look at the board inside the turntable? Should that... bridge?...jumper? Whatever be standing up that high. It almost looks like that bent leg isn’t even connecting to the board. I can’t get at it without taking a whole bunch of stuff apart.

863F11F4-6436-4147-885B-ED4B822D9FF3 (resized).jpeg

4C0E3997-9560-4AD7-B8A5-921510350BB0 (resized).jpeg

#9867 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

Is it bent, or broken? Can't tell from the picture. Bent, ok. Broken (leg not soldered to board), not ok.

That’s the problem. I can’t tell without taking the turntable apart (a frightening prospect). If the turntable rotated just one more turn clockwise so the board was facing starboard, I could get at it or at least tell if it’s connected.

#9869 1 year ago
Quoted from vireland:

If you can zoom in and get a non-blurry picture, it might be enough to tell. Do you have an iphone you're using for this? If so, aim at the transistor and zoom in, then hold your finger on the transistor on the screen for a little while and it will do an AE (aperature) lock and focus lock on the transistor instead of the auto focus which is locking on the chips in front of the transistor. It might also help if you put a flashlight behind it for contrast.

Thanks! I’ll try that next time I open it up. I was getting so stressed out, I had to button it up and take a break. Am I right in assuming this is just the sort of thing that would disable the Batphone and multiball release?

#9873 1 year ago
Quoted from taz:

Maybe try reloading the last s/w update. Just spitballing off the wall ideas here, but that might be the last act prior to calling Stern, given everything else already tried.

I reloaded .90 successfully but no luck. It looks like it’s only effecting the turntable ball release and the Batphone which won’t respond to the ball making the game essentially unplayable. The turntable and Gillian vision all work fine which I’m thinking narrows down to the board and wonky transistor. Can anybody give me an idea of how complicated disassembling the turntable mech is?

#9875 1 year ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Just asking as I believe you only recently (last few months) received your game. Did you do the recall upgrade to the Nod boards with spacers and capacitors? Not that it will help you now but may have been part of the cause of your situation?

I was unaware of that one. The only service bulletin I’ve seen since my machine left the factory (Feb 2018) is the one about shaker motors.

#9883 1 year ago
Quoted from JefeJet:

I had Node 10 fail in the middle of a game a couple months ago. The same thing happened, all switches on the turntable became unresponsive. After troubleshooting I noticed that the D9 diode had become loose. It looks like you have the same problem.. Sadly, that board most likely going to need to be replaced and it's a real bitch to get at. After a struggle, I was able to get the board removed and put back in without a complete tear down of the turntable, but I'd get some guidance from Stern.
Also, if they do send you a new board, double check the dip switches to make sure they are in the correct configuration before you install it.
Here's a picture of my failed Node 10 board before I sent it back to Stern:

Thanks for your post and pic! It’s reassuring to know someone else has successfully gone through this process. About how long did it take to get at the board and did you need anything other than screw and nut drivers to do it?

#9920 1 year ago
Quoted from JefeJet:

Removing it probably took an hour, but I stopped a couple of times. But, getting that board out was a process, no question. I first was able to remove the connectors with my fingers (starting with the connectors to the right and working my way to the two ethernet connections) and then used a long phillips screwdriver to get the four screws loose and carefully removed the board from the mess of wires. The four screws on the board should stay in place even when they are loose.
I originally started to remove the entire turntable, but that job seemed a little bit above my repair level and even after studying the schematic and turning a couple of screws, I decided to try to just remove the board without tearing the whole thing apart.
Did you talk to Stern? When I reached out to them, the tech said I needed to go through my distributor to get a new node board. He didn't seem surprised about the issue either, so I think this is a known problem.

Thanks for the walk-through, JefeJet. I talked to David at Stern who seemed pretty sure I needed to replace the board and assured me it was easy-peasy and taking the turntable apart was unnecessary (He's never met me and my fat fingers). As for replacement he punted me to Marco (who I bought the machine from). Marco said they needed to call Stern to find out who was going to pay for the $110 board. Hopefully they'll figure that out and someone will ship the board by the end of the week. Worst case scenario, I eat the $110, but I'm more concerned about digging into that mess inside the turntable mech.

#9937 1 year ago
Quoted from JefeJet:

Removing it probably took an hour, but I stopped a couple of times. But, getting that board out was a process, no question. I first was able to remove the connectors with my fingers (starting with the connectors to the right and working my way to the two ethernet connections) and then used a long phillips screwdriver to get the four screws loose and carefully removed the board from the mess of wires. The four screws on the board should stay in place even when they are loose.
I originally started to remove the entire turntable, but that job seemed a little bit above my repair level and even after studying the schematic and turning a couple of screws, I decided to try to just remove the board without tearing the whole thing apart.
Did you talk to Stern? When I reached out to them, the tech said I needed to go through my distributor to get a new node board. He didn't seem surprised about the issue either, so I think this is a known problem.

Marco is still waiting for Chaz at Stern to get back to them about the board (since Monday) but they gave me the go ahead to remove the old one. What a nightmare! The screws were easy but getting those 8 connectors disconnected was a chore. And even when the board was free of the connectors and screws it took forever to free it from those bundles of wires. I had to snip quite a few zip ties taking notes and pics so I remember where to redo them. By the time I got the board out the D9 had fallen off completely.
jefejet , how did you go about installing the new board? Did you screw it in first and then connect it? I have serious doubts about being able to get a new board back in there in one piece, especially if that transistor can be knocked loose so easily. With the playfield resting against the back box, I have the turntable oriented so the board is facing up and I’m coming at it from the right side. Is that the correct approach? Thanks again for any tips.

2186BF56-B2B3-419E-8C1B-38174732F60C (resized).jpeg

#9969 1 year ago
Quoted from Sidekick74:

All,
For the most recent owners, are you seeing brackets installed to protect the cabinet from splitting from Stern for B66?
Tim

No. Mine is dated Feb 2018. First thing I did was put two 20 cent metal brackets on the upper-front corners of the cab. There’s a convenient spot right on top of the grounding braid in each corner.

#9984 1 year ago
Quoted from AdeptJR:

So, just go buy some cheap corner brackets at Home Depot, and install on each corner inside the cabinet?

Yep!

2 weeks later
#10130 1 year ago

I'm finally back in Bat-business after being down for a month waiting for a node 10 board replacement. Someone already noted this but it bears repeating: ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE DIP SWITCHES ARE SET CORRECTLY BEFORE INSTALLING A BOARD STERN SENDS YOU! Especially a board like the one in the turntable that is a frickin' nightmare to install. It would be so easy for Stern to set them correctly before sending them out and would save their customers hours of frustration.

#10132 1 year ago
Quoted from JefeJet:

Glad you are back in Bat-Business!
Hopefully the installation of the Node 10 board didn't cost you too many dollars in the swear jar. The new v0.92 code continues to improve the game though!
And Stern did the same thing to me.. Sent me a new Node Board and didn't preset the DIP Switches. Caused all sort of headaches plus a very frustrated call to Tech Support.

I don't think I could have managed this by myself without your earlier comments in this thread about your experience. Thank you! Stern provided absolutely no guidance. A thumb drive with v0.92 is burning a hole in my pocket. I can't wait to get home and install it.

#10140 1 year ago

Am I right that some minor villains (like Bookworm) can't be locked up (put behind bars)? I find that rather unsatisfying, no matter how many points I rack up in the mode.

1 week later
#10198 1 year ago

Does the gadget button do anything during play besides letting you decide which video and sound you want featured while playing two or more modes?

#10238 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

who else has had a node board failure? and what board was it?

My node 10 failed. It’s the board in the guts of the turntable. A transistor broke off. It took a few weeks of back and forth between the distributor and Stern but they sent me a replacement board which was a bit of a trick to install.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider timo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside