IMG_7481 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7492 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7489 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7488 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7487 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7486 (resized).jpeg
IMG_7485 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

51 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #366 Adding the Batsignal to LE Posted by docquest (7 years ago)

Post #402 Very detailed review Posted by MT45 (7 years ago)

Post #457 DocQuests Helicopter comparison. Posted by docquest (7 years ago)

Post #463 Docquest's vehicle comparison Posted by docquest (7 years ago)

Post #501 Version 0.65 Code released Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Post #564 Docquest's helicopter install. Posted by docquest (7 years ago)

Post #1159 Adjusting the Magnet Posted by PiperPinball (7 years ago)

Post #1234 Helicopter attachment. Posted by docquest (7 years ago)

Post #1314 Photos of Episode 111 Machine Posted by iceman44 (7 years ago)

Post #1322 Version 0.68 Code released Posted by ATLpb (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider navystan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14055 4 years ago

Getting ready to officially join the club. My BM66 is enroute. I also purchased a playfield protector separately. Anyone with experience installing or can point me to someone who has? Or, maybe I don't install until later? What's your advice?

Thanks in advance, Stan.

#14091 4 years ago
Quoted from RetroGamerJP:

Welcome to the club! Batman 66 playfield protector is one of the simpler playfields to do but if you have any specific questions let us know...
My suggestion would be to put it on right away and preserve your brand new playfield. Nothing wrong if you want to play a game or two to make sure everything is in working order before you start taking things apart but point being that every ball played produces some sort of wear on you playfield so the sooner the better.
Some suggestions:
1. Wear some powder-less latex or nitrile gloves for the install. This helps to not cloudy up all your plastics and parts with finger prints but also prevents you from getting any prints on the underside of the playfild protector once you peel off the protective layer.
2. Make sure you take the balls out of the machine. The install will have you raising the playfield up and down more than once and you don't want the balls crashing down when you lift it up. (most people only make this mistake once) ... I also like to drape a towel over the top of the backbox so that the playfield doesn't mar up the top of the backbox trim when lifted.
3. Take your time and go section by section with disassembly. I use sandwich bags and label them to hold the various screws in and posts etc from each section. For example "Left Sling Shot" or "Right Ramp" ... it also helps to take photos of these areas before you start disassembling. Often time when people first start it all seems straight forward and easy to remember but once you get to the point of re-assembly you can sometimes start question where a certain washer or post went. I would do this with the flippers as well... before you remove them, pay attention to their position and orientation to the small hole in the playfield at the tip of each flipper bat. This will help you put them back to their original location. Same for the underside when you disconnect things. the few harnesses you have to disconnect have unique connectors so you shouldn't have any issue in reconnecting but if you want save yourself from second guessing it never hurts to snap a few photos as you are pulling things apart.
4. Penguin Crane --- this is really the only thing that can ruin you day with this install. I personally have never taken the crane out to install a protector. You can use the service menu to move the crane out from its resting place so that you can maneuver the crane through its associated hole in the protector. HOWEVER, before you even get close to this step, take a minute to feel the bottom of the wrecking ball on the crane with your finger. You will see that the wrecking ball can actually slide up a bit and whats hiding underneath is the end of the cable assembly which is sharp like a nail head. this will scratch the hell out of the protector during install if not properly dealt with. I'm sure others have their own way of dealing with this but what i do is take a small strip of thin, dense plastic and put it under the crane ball and then use painters tape that you wrap upwards around the crane itself to pull this piece of material snugly up again the sharp cable end. I usually do a couple passes of tape to make sure it doesn't pop loose while installing. What I used was actually a small strip of plastic i cut from an old damaged playfield proctor but really you are just looking for the thinnest piece of material that the sharp edge wont penetrate. Im sure there are more ways to deal with this issue and perhaps other members may have a simpler suggestion but I just wanted you to be aware so you don't find out the hard way.
5. If you have an air compressor it is handy have to blow away any debris from the stripped down playfield before you lay the protector in there. I usually clean the playfield with a good streak free window cleaner and microfiber. There can be fingerprints and smudges on the playfield from the factory or even oil trails from the balls themselves. You don't want any of that staring at you from underneath the protector after you have put everything back together. Whatever you use to clean it, just make sure it is fully dry and no moisture is present when you finally set the protector in.
6. Laying in the protector... once you have everything removed that's in the way of dropping the protector in, peel off the underside protective layer but leave the top layer on all until you have everything in place. Once you have confirmed that the protector is laying flat and in its final place you can peel off the top film.
7. Once you have everything back together and you are ready to drop the balls in, I like to clean them off to make sure they don't leave any unnecessary oil trails on the fresh playfield.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head... it may sound intimidating but it's really not that bad and (in my opinion) well worth the effort. They are not for everyone but I like the fact that i can play as many games as I want and underneath is still a brand new playfield.
Enjoy!

Thank you! Appreciate the tips. I've done plenty of pinball shopping, but this is my first NIB purchase.

#14162 4 years ago

OK, I'm officially in the club! Today was a big day for me. My first NIB and it was Batman 66. Now, I have a huge dilemma. Do I leave as is or take the time to install play field protector? The vote is?

And, the obligatory introduction cinema start screen sound set:

IMG_0705 (resized).jpegIMG_0705 (resized).jpegIMG_0706 (resized).jpegIMG_0706 (resized).jpegIMG_0713 (resized).jpegIMG_0713 (resized).jpeg
#14165 4 years ago

OK, I have a good idea, but just to be safe, does anyone have installation instructions for the reactor assembly? It wasn't installed with my new BM66. Thanks in advance.

IMG_0720 (resized).jpegIMG_0720 (resized).jpeg
#14168 4 years ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

Hi Navystan,
I don’t get it... that Atomic Pile was disconnected completely from the spot? I just recommend you one thing knowing that you have that one in your hand... buy the Atomic Pile from "The Mod Couple", you will notice the difference if you check the pics of their MOD... that’s a real Atomic Pile!

Yes, I guess that's not normal. I figured out how to connect by seeing some pictures. Yes, I guess that MOD is the one to get, thanks.

#14186 4 years ago
Quoted from RetroGamerJP:

Welcome to the club! Batman 66 playfield protector is one of the simpler playfields to do but if you have any specific questions let us know...
My suggestion would be to put it on right away and preserve your brand new playfield. Nothing wrong if you want to play a game or two to make sure everything is in working order before you start taking things apart but point being that every ball played produces some sort of wear on you playfield so the sooner the better.
Some suggestions:
1. Wear some powder-less latex or nitrile gloves for the install. This helps to not cloudy up all your plastics and parts with finger prints but also prevents you from getting any prints on the underside of the playfild protector once you peel off the protective layer.
2. Make sure you take the balls out of the machine. The install will have you raising the playfield up and down more than once and you don't want the balls crashing down when you lift it up. (most people only make this mistake once) ... I also like to drape a towel over the top of the backbox so that the playfield doesn't mar up the top of the backbox trim when lifted.
3. Take your time and go section by section with disassembly. I use sandwich bags and label them to hold the various screws in and posts etc from each section. For example "Left Sling Shot" or "Right Ramp" ... it also helps to take photos of these areas before you start disassembling. Often time when people first start it all seems straight forward and easy to remember but once you get to the point of re-assembly you can sometimes start question where a certain washer or post went. I would do this with the flippers as well... before you remove them, pay attention to their position and orientation to the small hole in the playfield at the tip of each flipper bat. This will help you put them back to their original location. Same for the underside when you disconnect things. the few harnesses you have to disconnect have unique connectors so you shouldn't have any issue in reconnecting but if you want save yourself from second guessing it never hurts to snap a few photos as you are pulling things apart.
4. Penguin Crane --- this is really the only thing that can ruin you day with this install. I personally have never taken the crane out to install a protector. You can use the service menu to move the crane out from its resting place so that you can maneuver the crane through its associated hole in the protector. HOWEVER, before you even get close to this step, take a minute to feel the bottom of the wrecking ball on the crane with your finger. You will see that the wrecking ball can actually slide up a bit and whats hiding underneath is the end of the cable assembly which is sharp like a nail head. this will scratch the hell out of the protector during install if not properly dealt with. I'm sure others have their own way of dealing with this but what i do is take a small strip of thin, dense plastic and put it under the crane ball and then use painters tape that you wrap upwards around the crane itself to pull this piece of material snugly up again the sharp cable end. I usually do a couple passes of tape to make sure it doesn't pop loose while installing. What I used was actually a small strip of plastic i cut from an old damaged playfield proctor but really you are just looking for the thinnest piece of material that the sharp edge wont penetrate. Im sure there are more ways to deal with this issue and perhaps other members may have a simpler suggestion but I just wanted you to be aware so you don't find out the hard way.
5. If you have an air compressor it is handy have to blow away any debris from the stripped down playfield before you lay the protector in there. I usually clean the playfield with a good streak free window cleaner and microfiber. There can be fingerprints and smudges on the playfield from the factory or even oil trails from the balls themselves. You don't want any of that staring at you from underneath the protector after you have put everything back together. Whatever you use to clean it, just make sure it is fully dry and no moisture is present when you finally set the protector in.
6. Laying in the protector... once you have everything removed that's in the way of dropping the protector in, peel off the underside protective layer but leave the top layer on all until you have everything in place. Once you have confirmed that the protector is laying flat and in its final place you can peel off the top film.
7. Once you have everything back together and you are ready to drop the balls in, I like to clean them off to make sure they don't leave any unnecessary oil trails on the fresh playfield.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head... it may sound intimidating but it's really not that bad and (in my opinion) well worth the effort. They are not for everyone but I like the fact that i can play as many games as I want and underneath is still a brand new playfield.
Enjoy!

Thanks to John, I installed the play field protector in about 2.5 hours. I figured I would help the next guy, so here's a video I created from start to finish:

#14197 4 years ago
Quoted from Happy81724:

Good video, thanks for sharing. Does it stick to the Playfield? Is it a hard plastic or Mylar?

all playfield protectors are hard plastic. They just "sit" on the playfield and have not glue.

#14228 4 years ago

So, update on my recent addition of BM66 and questions for the community:

1. Had my BM66 for about a week now. Playing almost every day since and for the first time today, played a different pin (DI).
2. First thing I did was install playfield protector. As everyone knows, lots of air balls and the playfield takes a beating . All the more reason for the protector.
3. Installed shaker. Love it. I think the code uses the shaker just enough, but doesn't over do it. I think it adds to the game experience.
4. Installed flipper fidelity speakers. Not sure I see a huge difference in overall sound. The manufacturer suggests cranking up volume, but I was hoping for a more rounded experience even with lower volume. Compared to my Dialed In, it's not as good of a sound package. DI has more "stereo" sound. I have not tried to tweak code settings for audio, so maybe that might help. Any suggestions or is this about right from everyone else's experience?
5. I have Stern blades coming Saturday. That's the only major "artistic" mod I've done to date. I'm not too interested in "pimping." I do have a free spotlight coming, so I will add that too.
6. I'm on the fence of getting pin stadium lights. I think they are great, just don't know if I want to add another $280 to the overall cost.
7. Has anyone used any of the shooter/eject protectors? Worth it? What do you recommend?

I don't see BM66 leaving anytime soon. Like many have said, great code, great theme integration, and great pin in any line up.

Thanks,
Stan

#14232 4 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Regarding the Flipper Fidelity speakers you Need to tinker with the settings in the menu. It will make a HUGE difference in sound.
Pin Stadiums are nice but I dont like how they reflect off the metal ramps. Plus my room lighting doesnt really require them. But I can see how some people cant play without them. Theres many lighting effects you can have.
I have a shooter eject protector on my KISS but not on my BM66. I just put some clear mylar down. Plus you can lower the trough eject power so the ball doesnt slam into the shooter lane.

Good advice. I tweaked the system settings and added bass to both the backbox and cabinet speakers. Sounds much better.

#14234 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Do you happen to know where that setting lives in the menu system? I was looking the other night and couldn't find it.

Go under Utilities, then audio. There, you can adjust sound settings and tweak how much bass you want for all the speakers.

#14236 4 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

Atomic Pile is a must have mod !

It's a cool, "look at me mod," but I put most of my extra money into things that have the most value, like the play field protector, speakers, and shaker.

#14246 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

All those other things are good, but if you plan on keeping the game you will regret not having the AP mod.

Why would I miss having “eye candy?”

I’m now rocking with super sound!

#14247 4 years ago

Absolutely! Here's the settings I changed from default. All other sound settings I left alone.
Speaker balance -(minus) 15
Backbox treble gain +2.625 db
Cabinet bass gain +10.125 db
Volume to your preference

Wow, one setting I didn’t do that you recommended speaker balance. That helped adding more bass for all sounds.

#14251 4 years ago

Installed the art blades. Best $80 spent to tie in playfield to sides.

16D5730A-6DF2-4CDC-B8AB-34F26C7F8506 (resized).jpeg16D5730A-6DF2-4CDC-B8AB-34F26C7F8506 (resized).jpeg17256ED6-D94F-4D6A-8AC4-917E61FA3C28 (resized).jpeg17256ED6-D94F-4D6A-8AC4-917E61FA3C28 (resized).jpeg3DFA9A9A-5BE0-487B-B89B-F865B342047D (resized).jpeg3DFA9A9A-5BE0-487B-B89B-F865B342047D (resized).jpeg4D067F74-C350-4223-94F3-508486778E41 (resized).jpeg4D067F74-C350-4223-94F3-508486778E41 (resized).jpeg56C8872E-E1FE-47C9-BBE2-0631F519934C (resized).jpeg56C8872E-E1FE-47C9-BBE2-0631F519934C (resized).jpeg826B76AF-01A7-4436-BD36-F9C43AEBB9F7 (resized).jpeg826B76AF-01A7-4436-BD36-F9C43AEBB9F7 (resized).jpeg84FDD6D2-CA6B-4171-9F3D-11E750D0145A (resized).jpeg84FDD6D2-CA6B-4171-9F3D-11E750D0145A (resized).jpegBA92DC12-FA51-44E8-9220-168F769DE3A8 (resized).jpegBA92DC12-FA51-44E8-9220-168F769DE3A8 (resized).jpegE2FF6F22-C899-45F2-8CA4-F81C249A6F47 (resized).jpegE2FF6F22-C899-45F2-8CA4-F81C249A6F47 (resized).jpegE5C995A8-0C40-4BC1-B545-1CBB7514C8EC (resized).jpegE5C995A8-0C40-4BC1-B545-1CBB7514C8EC (resized).jpeg
#14259 4 years ago

Great pics and the best advertisement for these blades yet! Are they repositionable during install? I was surprised to see Stern ships these rolled up in a box and not flat.

I used wet method and installed the same day I received. They are so thick, it’s very easy to reposition. I installed with playfield in.

#14261 4 years ago

I think next time I will try the "wet" method. I just peeled and stuck them on. They look awesome but it took much longer than it probably should have.

With the wet method, it took about 2 or 3 minutes to do each side.

#14293 4 years ago

Too many problems for a NIB game. Agree with reaching out to your distributor. Someone needs to take care of this for you.

BM66 was my first NIB pin. I was surprised how quality assurance was less than perfect. I had several items not installed correctly or were too loose:
- Atomic pile was just laying on the playfield. I had to install it. Not hard, just surprising it wasn't installed.
- VUK switch got stuck after 20 games. No big deal, but I had to "unstuck" the switch and since then working smoothly.
- Batcave mobile spinning disk thingy (technical term) came loose and washer just came off. I had to install and tighten better. Again, no big deal, but clearly was not installed properly.
- Light bulb under one inlane cover came loose. I had to get into tight space to take off inlane cover and put bulb back in properly.

So, nothing above major, just surprising I had to make so many adjustments within the first 50 games. It's now set up great and it is my favorite pin I have ever owned except for maybe Dialed In.

So, even with the minor issues, I'm still extremely happy with the purchase.

#14298 4 years ago

OK, here's something to avoid doing. I installed a Playfield protector and tried to hit the Playfield one last time with compressed air (in a can) to remove any stray dirt or lint. Seemed OK, but after a few days I noticed a little moisture under the protector. So, I carefully removed a few pieces and was able to lift protector enough to ensure fully dry before putting back down again. See the before and after picture for the difference. All is good now!

IMG_0804 (resized).jpegIMG_0804 (resized).jpegIMG_0827 (resized).jpegIMG_0827 (resized).jpeg
#14299 4 years ago

OK, some new pictures to highlight the key changes to Playfield. I added the Stern side blades and the Playfield protector. The Playfield protector was ordered direct from the guys in Germany. I'm not sure the one in U.S. is the same or as good. The Germany one is thinner and more glossy.

So, a recap on everything I've done to date:
- Stern side blades
- Playfield Protector
- Flipper Fidelity Speakers
- External volume control

IMG_0824 (resized).jpegIMG_0824 (resized).jpegIMG_0827 (resized).jpegIMG_0827 (resized).jpegIMG_0830 (resized).jpegIMG_0830 (resized).jpegIMG_0831 (resized).jpegIMG_0831 (resized).jpegIMG_0832 (resized).jpegIMG_0832 (resized).jpegIMG_0837 (resized).jpegIMG_0837 (resized).jpegIMG_0840 (resized).jpegIMG_0840 (resized).jpegIMG_0849 (resized).jpegIMG_0849 (resized).jpeg
#14300 4 years ago

This might have been posted earlier. I noticed the ball scoop is getting a beating. Anyone address this with any mods? I also noticed its hard to find this part. In the manual, it's called the ball guide and spinner assembly.

Any ideas to keep the wear and tear to a minimum? Maybe some form a a decal or mylar?

Thanks.

IMG_0785 (resized).jpegIMG_0785 (resized).jpeg
#14305 4 years ago
Quoted from JMCFAN:

but if you put a playfield protector on it that one has to go....

Yes, with a Playfield protector, I don't need cliffy. I wasn't referring to the edge of the drop hole. I was referring to the back of the metal where a ball strikes as it goes down the hole. Metal ball hitting metal plate puts a nice ding on the metal.

4 years later
#18517 4 months ago

Finally, getting back to BM66. My first NIB pin 5 years ago, and I'm getting another premium with custom powder coat like the SLE. So, asking what many have done...looking for Stern topper and willing to pay top dollar! TIA.

3 weeks later
#18570 3 months ago

Anyone know how to deal with ball lock diverter not working? I hear it "pop" open sometimes, but most of the time it's closed not allowing balls to lock in the turntable.

#18582 3 months ago

Just got a BM66 and it had this speaker kit from Mod Couple. Didn't come with instructions and Mod Couple has no email for support. Can anyone with the mod tell me where this plugs in or can you send picture of instructions? I can figure out everything else, but not sure where power gets connected.

IMG_0713 (resized).jpegIMG_0713 (resized).jpegIMG_0715 (resized).jpegIMG_0715 (resized).jpegIMG_0717 (resized).jpegIMG_0717 (resized).jpeg
#18584 3 months ago

Never responded, but I did get some help from Doug at speaker lights.com and Scott at Pinball life. Pinball life has a great deal on combo speaker upgrade, required 5.25 speaker plates, and speaker lights for $99. So, I should be able to completely use pinball life's combo or possibly swap out the speaker lights from Mod Couple.

#18592 3 months ago

Shout out to Pinball Life. $99 package included speaker upgrade (Kenwood 5.25"), new speaker plates, and an LED speaker kit. I added the bat logos from another kit.

IMG_0870 (resized).jpegIMG_0870 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#18603 84 days ago

I now have my BM66 Premium pimped out to be even better than an SLE. Has all the key upgrades, SLE-like side armor, pinstadium lights, speaker lights, translight mod, shaker, invisi-glass, upgraded speakers, and "Stern-like" LE Topper (works like a stock Stern LE topper). Has some other playfield mods as well.

IMG_0902 (resized).jpegIMG_0902 (resized).jpegIMG_0903 (resized).jpegIMG_0903 (resized).jpeg
#18605 84 days ago
Quoted from haiderdj:

I like the apron, button surround, and coin door in particular.

Forgot to mention the coin door being "armor coated" and the lighted apron as well!

#18610 81 days ago
Quoted from boommerknight:

Of course this is a dream pin for me but out of all the games I have this one has had the most issues. When I got it had tech errors since the person I bought it from reset it to 1.05 code which meant manual code update. The ramp issue in the post above. Flippers aren’t aligned correctly. And now I’m having auto plunger issue as well as plunging issue where sometimes it’s great and other it awful. At this point I’m gonna have to call a tech out and have him adjust and dial the game in for me. It was a dec 2021 build and had under 50 plays total when I got it today. Already ordered a bunch of mods and powder coating it’s a keep but eventually I knew my luck was gonna run out and after 15 pins this is the first with a decent amount of minor issues.

Maybe revert back to older version like 1.03? That's what I have and I'm not inclined to do any updates until I know current version has no bugs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 25.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 130.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 34.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider navystan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-official-club-thread?tu=navystan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.