New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 167576)

Batman 66 - Official Club Thread

By TigerLaw

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16,259 posts
  • 613 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by Spyderturbo007
  • Topic is favorited by 232 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,495 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

rps20201020_173753 (resized).jpg
1-5 (resized).jpg
BMS (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
BF7F9BA8-2C5E-4911-B8C4-5EA343E57587 (resized).jpeg
4B3710B0-7FDE-441E-BF60-4BA5B9710337 (resized).jpeg
01b80d3d4d6b878f62b96f75bd03471ed4c324de.gif
Capture (resized).JPG
Capture2 (resized).JPG
4953498C-BEB0-4CCA-8562-63E3D72ADCEF (resized).jpeg
tenor-7.gif
200.gif
7F1DA0F2-5703-40CE-8959-E6B8FFA5ECE1 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

47 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #366 Adding the Batsignal to LE Posted by docquest (3 years ago)

Post #402 Very detailed review Posted by MT45 (3 years ago)

Post #457 DocQuests Helicopter comparison. Posted by docquest (3 years ago)

Post #463 Docquest's vehicle comparison Posted by docquest (3 years ago)

Post #501 Version 0.65 Code released Posted by PiperPinball (3 years ago)

Post #564 Docquest's helicopter install. Posted by docquest (3 years ago)

Post #1159 Adjusting the Magnet Posted by PiperPinball (3 years ago)

Post #1234 Helicopter attachment. Posted by docquest (3 years ago)

Post #1314 Photos of Episode 111 Machine Posted by iceman44 (3 years ago)

Post #1322 Version 0.68 Code released Posted by ATLpb (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from PinballAlley:

Hi,
Here is what I know. I want to say that I have not had issues with any of the machines I had sold. This is in no way a denial that issues exist. It just speaks to luck and that the problems were limited in scope. Stern has assured me that they have a handle on the problem. That any pinballs coming should be problem free. I asked them straight out. I also asked what if problems arise from machines already sold. Stern informed me that they would take care of the issues via distributors.
The other point I want to make is that these issues seem to be limited in scope. It is not widespread failure but instead a small percentage.

In these sales pitches you constantly put out you also stated you only sell a handful or Stern NIB a year so you're really not the guy to comment on how many machines have PF issues, etc. You stated you are more of a "restoration" guy and that's fine.

And of course Stern will tell you what you want to hear. Until we know more the suspicion is that only the worst examples will get a populated PF swap... the rest of the guys with multiple ghosting inserts, etc may be out of luck. We'll see.

I just got a TWD Prem 4 months ago so I'm hardly a Stern hater - quite the opposite.

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

^^ is that real ?

I bet it is. Different times my friend

Though that "Robin you'll find out soon enough" sure sounds ominous.

4 months later
#314 3 years ago
Quoted from calprog:

My Le died after 3 hours of play. The game is fun that is for sure. I am on early beta code.
First off shaker motor never worked. Not sure if this has been coded.
Next plastic piece on wheel mechanism broke it both places and apparently shorted the machine and burned a node board. This may be a issue as the ball does fly around this mechanism. I wonder if Stern tests these machines prior to production. Unbelievable!! Lol

Recent experience with GB would indicate... no. They seem to always be in a hurry at the end

#347 3 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Added another mod to my 66SLE. Concerned about the pinstripe getting worn off near the flipper buttons. I cut some pieces of PET-G and crafted some protectors for each side. Removed 3 screws from Stern siderails, drill PET-G with 5/32" where screws hold it on. Used my punch set to pop out the flipper button holes, installed and they fit perfect!
BTW ... still very concerned about wearing the pinstripe on top of lockdown bar and red bat sticker around the lockdown bar action button. Only solutions I can think of are mylar or clear coat

Does bare wood show on the front left side of the game? The last pic looks odd where the armor meets the cab...

#363 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

I thought people where referring to the wood coloured glare/reflection on your siderail/protectors
MT45, so there is no clear over the pinstriping or lockbar decals? I know there is a mod coming for the bat symbol button, guess when I get mine pinstriped I'll definitely go ahead with clear asking as it can be done over the factory powder/finish.

I WAS talking about the odd glare on MT45's side protector on the left side Looked like a chunk of decal was missing.

I also noticed the thin strip that is unprotected where the decals don't quite meet but figured that is simply how Stern is doing it on this
title. MT45 has the close up of this also.

#367 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Oh well in that case scrap my not stupid after all
That glare just caught my eye so its good to know you where referring to that because I couldn't see anything else I even went back and looked at the picture to workout what I was missing

Glad to ease your mind

#374 3 years ago

oooh you got a good one.

Many big money collectors have stated they have to steer Adam West away from their top dollar items if he has a sharpie as he tries to put his sig on *everything*. And that doesn't really help the high end items.

He's known as a "serial signer"

#383 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Yeah Cliff did come to mind, I just need to ask him politely first
Would have to get them cut and powder coated, excuse the examples below they are rough but just for ideas and feedback.
Firstly any bat symbol could be used but I went with the one off the 66 Batmobile and my reasons for that where:
It was the only 66 symbol online in red
But the real reason I chose it was because I plan to pin strip my LE armour like the SLE armour & with the topper combined they represent the Batmobile, especially with the SLE cabs having the batmobile side art it just seemed like a great all round fit plus it allows for a second piece with the text to be nicely incorporated in the middle between the wing tips, as I find the Bat Gadget decal placed to one side looking a little awkward.

Feedback would be great...
EDIT: Added another version that would be 1 piece.

They all look good but make sure you spell "gadget" right on the real deal. Gotcha!

#413 3 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Happy to do it and still enjoying every game I play!

Yeah don't you love it when the game leaves you little "presents" like that on the PF? Actually (for me) brings out one of the more fun things of pinball ownership. The detective work!. Then that sense of satisfaction when you figure it out and make the corrections.

That wasn't a flaw - it was a feature

Game looks nice - in fact it looks like you painted the wall that color just to make the machines integrate just right in the surroundings.

That would be a lot harder to do with the other versions of BM66 as they seem to be just a riot of unrelated and super saturated colors.
Definitely the best cab artwork of the bunch...imho of course.

#414 3 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Okay, I've put most of the puzzle together, though my investigation is still incomplete. In previous posts, #400 and #401 I explained that I'd found a handful of hardware rolling around my playfield, including two screws, two washers, and one nut. Thanks to MT45's excellent post, I've found the two sources of most of that hardware, minus the nut. Half was from the cat mount above the right ramp. There was also a second missing screw I needed there that I've not found yet, but I had extras on hand to fix. I guess I'll find it later or maybe they just never installed it. The self tapping screw went to the spinning Bat Mobile as MT45 explained, but in my case it was stripped. So I followed his glue instructions and picked up a slightly larger screw to fix that. The screw that dropped out of the spinning Bat Mobile was the one I found wedged between my playfield and the large rotating mechanism. So, keep an eye there, because that could cause some damage if it's not found quickly. Now, I'm left wondering where the missing screw is that went under the right ramp to hold down a piece that went to the cat mount and trying to figure out where to put the nut. Various pictures of the ordeal are attached below.

lol That last pic made me think I was in The Big Lebowski Thread for a moment...

#416 3 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Yeah, thanks! I had to knock back some whiskey while the glue dried. I think everyone is going to have trouble losing screws out of the bottom of that little Bat Mobile, either sooner or later. I had one fall out and the other wasn't far behind. I suggest all BM66 owners go ahead and take it apart and glue their screws in before they fall out. An ounce of prevention kind of thing.....to be completed with an ounce of one's favorite toddy.

Well in the rushed setting of producing this machine you guys truly ARE the beta testers. Good job!

#444 3 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

The time it takes to do that makes it cheaper to just send it out for a real professional clearing.

I dunno... you measure a little - cut 'em out - stick 'em down. Maybe an hour of fiddly work and that's if you take your time. And you get the satisfaction of doing it yourself. Something you don't get much of with NIB machines. Now he can get that off his radar.

Spraying clear over the decals could have issues also if the clear is "hot" enough to react to the sticker or the underlying adhesive. It could cause the color to run or have other undesirable results. Then you've ruined the thing.

As little play as it would get at my house I would just get a spare set from Stern and then years down the line swap them out... that's if it even needs it at that point.

#445 3 years ago
Quoted from wyopin:

2001 has arrived

hmmm. So there are at least a couple of "deadly robot" cards. I think I like the artwork on the cards better than any of the other art.

But that's probably just the nostalgia talking.

#521 3 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Heads up txstargazer3 a couple of LE owners have said they may sell their toppers, I can't find the posts now but I remember reading the posts, might be worth making a wanted ad?

I forget the price of these toppers...$199 or $299??

#530 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

And so it begins....

High claim item is an understatement

Box looks pristine! That's always a good sign. Enjoy...

#594 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I took a metal coat hanger and cut off a few inches of it to make a copter support. Twisted a little loop on the end and captured it with the same nut the SLE uses to mount its copter.
In addition to looking nice, the eaglemoss vehicles alread have tapped screw holes and the screws from where they mount to their display box. Make another loop on the other side of the wire and secure it via a screw under the copter. Tweak the shape of the wire until it looks good.

Your game is crying out for clear acrylic washers on your slingshot plastics... then they will really light up nice. Think you'll ever actually PLAY this thing?

#662 3 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Has anyone sourced a set of playfield spotlights/leds to brighten up the playfield, or thought through their placement yet?

Pinballbulbs.com was one of the first to have a nice dual spotlight kit (along with their TROW lighting setup... if you don't want to assemble, solder and wire it yourself then this kit is one of the best.

#663 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Lights on ( you can see the reflection of overhead light in one of them glass OFF, btw, so that reflection off the clear!!!)

They don't make translucent green, blue or purple sling rubbers? I like white for the glow but it's just...like white, ya know?

#694 3 years ago
Quoted from Cyrus:

I'm getting way too many air balls with the left ramp. With a good hit the ball flies off the ramp on the curve about 50% of the time. Stern looks to have anticipated this with a plastic shield over part of the ramp, but it's not deterring these derailments. I suspect soon someone will have a plastic guard out for sale....

Can you bend the wireframe in a bit so it's more "banked"?? I actually got MB NIB back in the day and the ball would fly off the right ramp wireform pretty consistently. Then I simply bent it a bit and it never happened again.

#737 3 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

will mylar protect from these craters ?
will mylar weaken the use of the magnet?

Probably no to both. Some PF's are simply softer than others. Yours may not turn out the same way.

#739 3 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Any concerns (effects) of putting Mylar on clear?

No it's been done for ages and usually comes off cleanly years later with a hot or cold method. It stops "wear to the wood" in ball drop areas, etc but may not stop the dimples if the wood is soft. You could also try the clear "cling" plastic you can get at a craft store or Amazon. No adhesive - it just stays where you put it (usually) and is thicker so it actually may protect better. Can't hurt anything and I've put it in the shooter lanes instead of a Cliffy... thanks to Ice for that idea. He's not *always* wrong...

#741 3 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Any truth that new clear needs like 3 months to cure(sp) before it's stronger (less soft = more dimple resistant)?

There is supposed to be a curing time and the way they rushed these out means that probably didn't get respected but I find it hard to believe they EVER let these PF sit for months before they produce a game.

That said if the wood is soft the CC can't stop the dimples. In fact you want it to be a little flexible as otherwise you'd get little "stars" in the CC where it would crack as the wood underneath it compresses into a dimple.

Wood can vary in hardness even in the same batch. Back in 97 I bought a WMS NIB that had such a soft PF it developed crater-like dimples... on that one I actually got a refund from the distributor. Most found that hard to believe on RGP at the time. I was a novice and got lucky on that deal. Knowing what I now know about the business I wouldn't expect that to ever happen again.

Back then somebody buying NIB for the home was more of a novelty and maybe that's why I was treated better. Also the dealer sold mine at a slight discount to an Op that could care less

#832 3 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

It has to diminish the visual appearance of the playfield, right? And the beauty of the playfield is one of the best/enjoyable things about collecting games IMO. I just can't imagine laying a piece of plastic (or whatever material) over it.

For home use it may stay shiny for quite some time. Since you can just clip the back off it and put it in BM66 with little effort there really isn't too much of a downside.

#853 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Post in another thread says Stern rejecting almost all BM66 playfields coming in for Premium builds. Anyone have any more details?

That's just what ONE dealer told a customer to try to explain his lack of stock. We have no idea if it's true or not.

That's a problem with the hobby - no way to verify virtually anything apparently.

#921 3 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

That's what I'm thinking. Stay tuned.

You know double spots on the slings would light the current area and the lower center nicely. Just a suggestion...

#954 3 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Here are some pictures of my mods to BM66 so far.
- PDI glass, of course
- 4 black spotlights added to the GI on top of the slings
- Batmobile and Batcycle near the flippers (temporary until some innovative Pinsider comes up with a better idea)
- Spotlight in the back right, currently wired to the GI as well
- Bust to access batpoles on top of a bumper cap (again until someone comes up with a better idea)
- Batcopter above the left ramp
There's less room for mods than I expected. The only obvious open spots that seem to remain are by the right ramp cat and the far left, back corner, perhaps. The bust should have been by the phone, but there's just not enough room there to add it. I wonder if it might be worth the extra work to mount little bat spotlights all over to enhance the GI instead of the usual silver/black pin spotlights we're used to? I'll throw that idea out there and hope one of our Pinsider modders come up with something like that, though it'll cost a bit to buy a bunch of bat signals. Anyway, some of these are place holders until I see a better idea.

Looks great! Don't forget clear washers for the slings to finish it off (for now right?)

#1133 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Double spots added....bottom 2/3rds playfield lit very well ( this in a dark room) on to the top 1/3 ( have a couple of ideas) waiting on parts.....

Looks real nice. Should come from the factory with double spots but that might put pressure on their thin profit margin

1 month later
#1994 3 years ago
Quoted from Cento:

I took out the stock card on my Batman 66 and replaced it with a PSA/ DNA certified card signed by Adam West. I then took a blue LED and back lit it.

Well that would certainly distract ME when playing in a dark room

3 months later
#3082 3 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Over in the Aerosmith mods thread Mezel Mods posted a video of their prototype speaker light kits. I'm sure this will work on BM66 since the platforms and designs are identical. Will be full color changing RGB. Looks great!
ยป YouTube video

To each his own but I can never understand why people want to drag the eye's attention to an area where NOTHING is going on...the speakers. To me lighting them up just makes for an ugly distraction from the actual art on the machine and simply puts a cheap glare all over the glass. The best effect you''ll get is the color changing routine you see on every cheap Chinese toy.

Just say "enough"... ok rant over

1 month later
#3725 3 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

this thread starting to read like the "where is the kiss code" thread. too bad, stern dgaf, they are always looking for the new money or the next sucker!

C'mon man - let's not kick people when they're down. Plus in this case you KNOW there will be another update. It may not satisfy everyone's expectations but unless Lyman leaves Stern he'll have at least one or two more updates.

Gomez's salesman talk didn't help the situation much either.

1 week later
#4073 3 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

So whats the chance of getting Burt to sign the underside of a playfield?

If he's anything like his partner (or ex-partner sadly)... you'd have more troubles getting him NOT to sign his name on something

I don't say that in a mean-spirited way... just a fun factoid.

#4075 3 years ago
Quoted from Hasi:

Back to BM66:
I added the Mezel house mod to my machine, but first it got brushed.
Now we really need a new code, because there is no more mod I can add to my sle.

Nice job on the TWD tower also. I had mine painted also but I like yours a little better.

#4216 3 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

where is this at? Manual isn't clear:

I believe it's at the bottom of the ball trough (where they then get shot into the shooter lane). I also think they don't use opto's down there any more so there should be some mechanical switches that can easily be bent to make good contact with each ball in the trough. May be 4 to 6 switches depending on how many balls the game uses. Simple thing for you to adjust in any case. Good luck.

2 weeks later
#4497 3 years ago

Damn saw all these posts and thought you guys finally got your update! Well the ramp upgrade is great news anyways.

1 month later
#5702 3 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Well this Club is awful quiet?? How about a "Atomic Pile" Mod style to wake things up! As promised, the prototyping, design, and Endless test runs are now done and the Batman 66 Atomic Pile is now DONE! (not for sale yet but Very soon!) Thanks for all your interest!!
The Mod Couple

I dunno... the difference between your mod and the Stern original is very subtle. In fact I can hardly tell them apart

1 week later
#6162 2 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

As vireland sais, Cliffys are best - contact him through his website and get a set for B66. But hes a bit behind at the moment, so you might not get them for a couple of weeks. In the meantime, cut some mylar for the shooter lane that protects just the area where the ball kicks out - from the mouth of the trough exit over to the shooter lane "wall", down to the switch slot and up as far as the ball kicks out - just past the top edge of the ball trough exit.

OR... since it's temporary he could just go to Michael's (or any) craft store and get a sheet of clear removable "cling vinyl" and cut a piece that fits in the shooter lane. It sticks fine with no adhesive and then you can just pull it up when you get a more permanent solution. The stuff is very protective... in fact it works so well I just left it in my TWD premium as it's invisible and seems to stop any damage. Thicker than typical mylar also.

At least that way there's no risk of losing CC, art, etc by having to peel up sticky mylar. Would never be an issue before but with today's PF's...who knows?

I heard about this from Ice and was very skeptical but hell... it really works and can be temporary or permanent.

Cheap and easily available locally also.

#6175 2 years ago
Quoted from jsa:

No mylar. Here's a photo of the magnet.

Maybe the transistor that controls the magnet locked on and overheated the magnet. It has an obvious burn mark on it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.25
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
The MOD Couple
$ 163.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider manic.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside