Topic Stats

• 14,886 posts
  • 557 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by thundergod76
  • Topic is favorited by 217 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,200 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_9939 (resized).jpg
20191112_182335.jpg
20191111_134000.jpg
20191112_182335 (resized).jpg
Batman NIB (resized).jpg
batman setup (resized).jpg
bm (resized).JPG
IMG_20191108_154810 (resized).jpg
IMG_4232 (resized).JPG
bitmoji-20180726020815 (resized).png
20191107_000815 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191101_182927 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191101_182831 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191101_182937 (resized).jpg
281E2867-5CB3-40C4-84EC-E3F303FD9D4C (resized).jpeg
DF7C65B3-A8FC-4D7E-9AC6-9D18A716E1F6 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

47 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 14886 posts in this topic. You are on page 258 of 298.
#12851 7 months ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

Must resist . . .
So very tempted by this. Does this light up when the bat phone is active or is that just the LE?

Maybe you can resist... I couldn't. Yes it has full interactivity with the game exactly like the LE. It's the same coding. It's the same node board. Every time the bat phone rings the bat signal turns on. It's awesome. And it's on in attract mode.

#12852 7 months ago
Quoted from imagamejunky:

Maybe you can resist... I couldn't. Yes it has full interactivity with the game exactly like the LE. It's the same coding. It's the same node board. Every time the bat phone rings the bat signal turns on. It's awesome. And it's on in attract mode.

Damn it . . .

#12853 7 months ago
Quoted from jfh:

Go into adjustments and reset High Scores 1,2,3,4 to something super low. Ditto for Grand Champion. Then go to reset menu and reset high scores and reset GC.

Thank you! I had tried the first part of the solution you give .... I lowered the high score awards to 1,000,000 but didnt go to the reset menu.

#12854 7 months ago

If you have a premium you need to make sure you buy the $250 version that Stern sells. This version comes with the node boards you need to be interactive.

They also sell a $200 version that was intended for LE owners that does not contain the node boards (because the LE already has the necessary node boards).

#12855 7 months ago
Quoted from docquest:

If you have a premium you need to make sure you buy the $250 version that Stern sells. This version comes with the node boards you need to be interactive.
They also sell a $200 version that was intended for LE owners that does not contain the node boards (because the LE already has the necessary node boards).

Thank you, Sir!

#12856 7 months ago

I no longer see them on the Stern site, but Pinball Life still has them listed.

#12857 7 months ago

There are a few companies selling them. I'm sure some local distributors have them as well. Here's the part number again
502-7037-00

#12858 7 months ago
Quoted from Budman:

Is there a way to allow for the Penguin crane hits to record easier? I’m hitting the ball but the umbrella lights don’t always go out.

The mechanism is clever as it’s built like a tilt switch. It’s not just hitting the crane that does it, it’s hitting it hard enough that the ball displaced and touches the metal ring it’s suspended between. I haven’t found a way to make that easier - just feels like a shot you really have to cleanly hit with some power.

#12859 7 months ago

There are a few companies selling them. I'm sure some local distributors have them as well. Here's the part number again
502-7037-00

Can you buy just the node board for this ?
(Already have the projector)

#12860 7 months ago
Quoted from Wotto:

Can you buy just the node board for this ?
(Already have the projector)

If you have a genuine Stern projector it plugs straight in to the boards in the back box. I can get a photo for you if you need one.

#12861 7 months ago

502-7037-00

For visual sake....

Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 5.04.31 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-04-08 at 5.04.41 PM (resized).png
#12862 7 months ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

If you have a genuine Stern projector it plugs straight in to the boards in the back box. I can get a photo for you if you need one.

Yes if you have an LE.

If you have a premium and want the signal to turn on and off during gameplay you need the node boards along with the projector.

If you have a premium and get the batsignal without the node boards then it will not turn on and off during gameplay. It will just be on whenever the game is on.

#12863 7 months ago
Quoted from docquest:

Yes if you have an LE.
If you have a premium and want the signal to turn on and off during gameplay you need the node boards along with the projector.
If you have a premium and get the batsignal without the node boards then it will not turn on and off during gameplay. It will just be on whenever the game is on.

Dude, we have a premium with the Stern batsignal pictured above. Plugged straight in to the back box, interactive. Turns on and off when the batsignal in the back of the playfield turns on and off. Stern helped us purchase the correct one. The projector with base will work on any premium without the Villians topper. If you have a Villans topper, projector without base is what you need.

I am not sure about the LE and SLE. Some one that has one may enlighten us.

#12864 7 months ago

Dude, we have a premium with the Stern batsignal pictured above. Plugged straight in to the back box, interactive. Turns on and off when the batsignal in the back of the playfield turns on and off. Stern helped us purchase the correct one. The projector with base will work on any premium without the Villians topper. If you have a Villans topper, projector without base is what you need.
I am not sure about the LE and SLE. Some one that has one may enlighten us.

In that case the stern projector you bought must have been the version came with the node boards than.

#12865 7 months ago

Guys.
I'm quoting my own post from earlier.

This is the stand alone version bat signal (502-7037-00). Although it comes with instructions showing how to add it to the premium topper. And contrary to belief here on pinside, it has it's own node board and IS controlled by the game. It turns on and off during gameplay. I recommend it.

#12866 7 months ago
Quoted from docquest:

In that case the stern projector you bought must have been the version came with the node boards than.

Not to my knowledge. If you have a game are you sure you have the cable plugged in to the correct port? We initially plugged ours into the incorrect port and the projector stayed on all the time.

I took the projector apart. The only difference between base and no base is that the projector clips in to a base with a power cable and a cat 5 lead. If you do not use the base, projector clips in to the villans topper. It is exactly the same projector.

Could you please post a photo of the extra node board you are talking about? I have just had a look at ours. The power lead for the projector plugs in to C7 for the power and a cat 5 cable plugs straight in to the CPU board. No extra node boards.

#12867 7 months ago

Guys.
I'm quoting my own post from earlier.

Where is the node board? Could you please post a photo. I think you are talking about the tiny driver board inside the light with base.

#12868 7 months ago

It's inside the base

20190408_164758 (resized).jpg
#12869 7 months ago

So.....if I have a Premium game, and this projector........do I need anything else in order to have it turn on and off when playing?

20190409_065558.jpeg
#12870 7 months ago

It's inside the base
[quoted image]

Yes, Thank you very much for clarifying that. I understand what you are talking about.

#12871 7 months ago

Heres a pic from another pinsider showing what came with his batsignal topper that came with the node boards.

Here how I interpreted what was going on. I could be totally wrong though as I was just going by what I could figure out from the pics.

There were three boards. First board (top of pic) was right under the projector and it had a relay that when toggled it could turn the projector on and off. I think it needs the relay because the lamp Stern uses need 48volts so the relay let's you control the 48v via a lower level 5v signal.

The second board (middle of pic) was an intermediate driver board that recieved commands as to when to turn from the node board and sent signal to some drive transistors.

The third board (bottom of pic) was the node board. This node boards interface with the CPU via a cat5 cable. The communications on the cat5 cable are what contains the signals to turn lights, motors, relays, etc on or off during game play. The node boards job is to decode those signals and then output simple on/off trigger signals to the driver boards.

I think the relay board, the driver board and the node board could have be combined into one board. I'm assuming Stern used 3 boards because they had those boards readily avail and it wasn't work the effort to make a custom one just for the topper signal.

Maybe the latest version of the stern batsignal has combined all these into one?

IMG_0269 (resized).jpg
#12872 7 months ago

Thought there was a code update - just bat signals.

#12873 7 months ago
Quoted from docquest:

Heres a pic from another pinsider showing what came with his batsignal topper that came with the node boards.
Here how I interpreted what was going on. I could be totally wrong though as I was just going by what I could figure out from the pics.
There were three boards. First board (top of pic) was right under the projector and it had a relay that when toggled it could turn the projector on and off. I think it needs the relay because the lamp Stern uses need 48volts so the relay let's you control the 48v via a lower level 5v signal.
The second board (middle of pic) was an intermediate driver board that recieved commands as to when to turn from the node board and sent signal to some drive transistors.
The third board (bottom of pic) was the node board. This node boards interface with the CPU via a cat5 cable. The communications on the cat5 cable are what contains the signals to turn lights, motors, relays, etc on or off during game play. The node boards job is to decode those signals and then output simple on/off trigger signals to the driver boards.
I think the relay board, the driver board and the node board could have be combined into one board. I'm assuming Stern used 3 boards because they had those boards readily avail and it wasn't work the effort to make a custom one just for the topper signal.
Maybe the latest version of the stern batsignal has combined all these into one?
[quoted image]

Thank you very much for clarifying that. Is that from a Villans topper or a LE/SLE topper?

If you would like a photo of what is in our projector please let me know and I will pull it apart again and post a photo.

Keep smiling!

#12874 7 months ago

The LE/SLE node boards for the topper are in the head cabinet (near the top), not in the topper.

#12875 7 months ago

If you would like a photo of what is in our projector please let me know and I will pull it apart again and post a photo.
Keep smiling!

I'm assuming your setup has the same 3 boards from the pic I posted. One board directly mounted under the projector and then the two other boards mounted in the base.

I dont think I've even seen those individual boards for sale anywhere by themselves. Surprisingly Stern isnt charging that much for them when you buy the projector. For $250 you get the projector with the three boards. I think most of the other node boards you can buy are around $200 just for a single node board alone.

Compared to the batman villains topper for $400 the bat signal for $250 ($200 if you have an LE) is a much better deal. The villains topper has no interactivity with the game, it's just on whenever the game is on. Having the bat signal flash on at the start of every game, whenever the phone rings, dur9ng start of wizard modes, and during bat-turn mode is so much cooler. Plus who knows, maybe Lyman will have it come on at other times as well with future code updates.

#12876 7 months ago
Quoted from jfh:

The LE/SLE node boards for the topper are in the head cabinet (near the top), not in the topper.

Yes. For the LE/SLE machines the node boards are already in the backbox because they also control all the lights in the rotating red beacon light, the antler stalks, and behind batman and robin.

#12877 7 months ago
Quoted from docquest:

I'm assuming your setup has the same 3 boards from the pic I posted. One board directly mounted under the projector and then the two other boards mounted in the base.
I dont think I've even seen those individual boards for sale anywhere by themselves. Surprisingly Stern isnt charging that much for them when you buy the projector. For $250 you get the projector with the three boards. I think most of the other node boards you can buy are around $200 just for a single node board alone.
Compared to the batman villains topper for $400 the bat signal for $250 ($200 if you have an LE) is a much better deal. The villains topper has no interactivity with the game, it's just on whenever the game is on. Having the bat signal flash on at the start of every game, whenever the phone rings, dur9ng start of wizard modes, and during bat-turn mode is so much cooler. Plus who knows, maybe Lyman will have it come on at other times as well with future code updates.

Please see photo of what is inside the projector with base. Purchased this time last year. I think it is the same as what you posted.

1554771486980283354042331512633 (resized).jpg

15547718026523542089894238495232 (resized).jpg

#12878 7 months ago
Quoted from Budman:

How the heck do I dump those preprogrammed high scores and begin to record my own?

Simple!

1/ Have a good game.
2/ Beat those existing scores.
3/ Enter your initials.
4/ crack a beer to celebrate.

So satisfying!

rd

#12879 7 months ago

Can do all but #4..... Budman is out of beer!!!

#12880 7 months ago

So.it would appear I require 2 x more boards then....? ( refer post 12869 above )??

#12881 7 months ago

There's a lot of electronics in that light considering what it does.

#12882 7 months ago
Quoted from Wotto:

So.it would appear I require 2 x more boards then....? ( refer post 12869 above )??

Did you get the Stern Batsignal with base?

#12883 7 months ago
Quoted from Wotto:

If you want it to turn on and off during gameplay than you need the other two boards.

Maybe pinballaddicted can get you the part numbers of those boards and you can call Stern to see if they would sell them to you.

#12884 7 months ago
Quoted from docquest:

If you want it to turn on and off during gameplay than you need the other two boards.
Maybe pinballaddicted can get you the part numbers of those boards and you can call Stern to see if they would sell them to you.

That would be appreciated

#12885 7 months ago

Just got the email that mine shipped out last night from Stern. I was thinking it would be a couple more weeks. Don't have my Cliffys yet. Stoked for sure.

#12886 7 months ago

Advice to all about the penguin scoop.

My friend has a batman 66 on route since the beginning batman 66 was released.

He said, no cliffy is needed because the dark knight it's scoop that is on route too is still perfect.

Now 1,5 years have passed and his scoop on batman 66 is starting to loose artwork around the edges, especially in the front (1/4 inch).
So I can only advice you all to install a protector.

#12887 7 months ago

Snapped a few pics from late Friday night.... got it set up right before the tournament starting Saturday morning

BM1 (resized).jpgBM2 (resized).jpgBM3 (resized).jpg
#12888 7 months ago

Dumb question regarding cliffy and the penguin scoop. Would the Cliffy cover up any scoop wear after the fact? If so, isn't there some logic to a NIB owner actually getting to enjoy the scoop sans-cliffy and then cliffy it up after it starts showing wear? (I have this same argument with my wife about couch slipcovers).

#12889 7 months ago

Dumb question regarding cliffy and the penguin scoop. Would the Cliffy cover up any scoop wear after the fact? If so, isn't there some logic to a NIB owner actually getting to enjoy the scoop sans-cliffy and then cliffy it up after it starts showing wear? (I have this same argument with my wife about couch slipcovers).

The main purpose of the Cliffs is to prevent wear. Covering wear up after the fact is fine, but the playfield is already damaged at that point.

I have the BDK Cliffs installed on the Penguin and occasionally have shot rejects. My understanding is that the redesigned one specifically for BM66 doesn’t have this issue so there is no advantage to playing without a Cliffy.

#12890 7 months ago
Quoted from jfh:

The main purpose of the Cliffs is to prevent wear. Covering wear up after the fact is fine, but the playfield is already damaged at that point.
I have the BDK Cliffs installed on the Penguin and occasionally have shot rejects. My understanding is that the redesigned one specifically for BM66 doesn’t have this issue so there is no advantage to playing without a Cliffy.

I’ve got the BM66 penguin Cliffys since day one....it still rejects more shots than a bare penguin hole.....

#12891 7 months ago

mine rejects a lot also.

#12892 7 months ago

I've found that in a home use only environment Cliffy's aren't needed as much. Unless you play your pins almost nonstop which I guess some of us do. To each his or her own I guess...Honestly some of them are such a pain to install that they are just not worth it to me. I wonder what the general pinside opinion is on this?

#12893 7 months ago
Quoted from TomN:

I've found that in a home use only environment Cliffy's aren't needed as much. Unless you play your pins almost nonstop which I guess some of us do. To each his or her own I guess...Honestly some of them are such a pain to install that they are just not worth it to me. I wonder what the general pinside opinion is on this?

I just got my BM66 on Friday. I ordered the full Cliffy set. All have been installed, with the exception of the Penguin Cliffy. It looks like it's going to be a be-yach to install.

#12894 7 months ago
Quoted from TomN:

I'm just wondering why should I care if to protect a part of the playfield I'll never see because I'm covering it by protecting it. Who am I protecting it for? Is there a benefit to protecting it for other reasons, for example will the damage spread outside the future cliffy covered area?

#12895 7 months ago
Quoted from MadPole:

I just got my BM66 on Friday. I ordered the full Cliffy set. All have been installed, with the exception of the Penguin Cliffy. It looks like it's going to be a be-yach to install.

I certainly understand wanting to armor them up and protect your investment. I've actually had to take one or two off over the years as shot rejects just became a bit much. Hole/scoop was none the worse for wear btw.

#12896 7 months ago

I'm just wondering why should I care if to protect a part of the playfield I'll never see because I'm covering it by protecting it. Who am I protecting it for? Is there a benefit to protecting it for other reasons, for example will the damage spread outside the future cliffy covered area?

Ed Zachery... that's what you're trying to prevent.

I've seen the Star Lord scoop on GOTG and the right scoop on Houdini look like they were attacked by a ravenous beaver within a couple of months on route.

#12897 7 months ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:I'm just wondering why should I care if to protect a part of the playfield I'll never see because I'm covering it by protecting it. Who am I protecting it for? Is there a benefit to protecting it for other reasons, for example will the damage spread outside the future cliffy covered area?

Not so much spreading, but keeping it from starting in the first place would be my guess. Keep it newish looking as long as possible...Maybe impact resale down the road.

#12898 7 months ago

True, but as I said in the home they don't take nearly the abuse as out in the wild. If I operated something I would for sure try and protect it as much as possible.

#12899 7 months ago

I've had a Stern POTC new in box since 2006 with no cliffy's and I have not had a single issue or wear spot develop anywhere. Almost every Pirates I've ever seen in the wild however is a huge POS.

#12900 7 months ago
Quoted from TomN:

Not so much spreading, but keeping it from starting in the first place would be my guess. Keep it newish looking as long as possible...Maybe impact resale down the road.

Yeah, but when I resell I'll have the scoop on

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Des Moines, IA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Lighting - Led
3D MODS
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 49.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 7.95
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Docquest Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Chrome Candy
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 27.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
ScottyMods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 14886 posts in this topic. You are on page 258 of 298.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside