PXL_20240119_215418966 (resized).jpg
2E157914-93A2-4C0A-B4AB-670DC4DD4E4C (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240123_184703380 (resized).jpg
IMG_0717 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0715 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0713 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240114_203723710.MP~2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

48 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,638 posts in this topic. You are on page 177 of 373.
#8801 6 years ago

Way back in the 1950's when they built games to last Gottlieb games had panel pins in the cabinets to stop them coming apart.

Added these to my AS and KISS.

Stainless-steel-panel-pins1 (resized).pngStainless-steel-panel-pins1 (resized).png

#8802 6 years ago

With a B66 premium on it's way, do I have the risk of a splitting cabinet too? Or from what date is this problem fixed? (@rotordate: you know your build date by chance?).

#8803 6 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

With a B66 premium on it's way, do I have the risk of a splitting cabinet too? Or from what date is this problem fixed?

No one really knows for sure if Stern has addressed this problem with their supplier. There have been documented cases of cabs splitting that were manufactured years ago when Stern was actually using decent grade wood. Way before they went cheap. I answer your question with a big Yes. Be proactive and get the braces and screws and reinforce your newer Sterns. There's plenty of great info in this thread. It'll give you piece of mind for sure. Enjoy your new BM66 and welcome to the club!

#8804 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

This time I documented the repair, hope it helps someone out.
1/ get machine up in the air. Remove leg and plastic leg protector (2 screws) Now is a good time to put the PF up in the air (as I didn’t do in these photos ...)

2/ pour heaps of PVA (that’s poly vinyl acetate, thanks high school woodwork..) down the crack. Give it time to run down the joint, pour in even more. It’ll run out the side. No stress, wipe it off. Won’t damage anything, PVA is water soluble. Don’t use PVA on outside furniture.

3/ put a sash clamp across the machine. This pulls the sides back in. Mine was out 1-2mm. Always use cloths to protect the sides of the cabinet.

4/ these are cabinet makers countersinking screws. About 50mm (2”) long. Note the thread doesn’t go all the way to the end ... this is to pull the joint closer together. I always use square drive screws. Phillips head screws suck. Note the drill bit - see how it is around the same size as the lower screw shank (not the thread) This is a 2mm drill. You want to drill a pilot hole so the timber doesn’t split - but the screw still needs meat to screw into.

5/ drill the hole and screw in the screw. Note how the screw countersinks into the timber. I touch up the screw head with a paint marker to match the black background.

6/ screw the leg protector back on. Screw disappears! Magic!

7/ now we need to pull the top (of the front) back in. Usually I would use a long sash clamp that would run front to back of the pin. But I loaned them out and can’t remeber who has them. Haha! So I have to improvise with this smaller clamp, pulling against the sash clamp. Not ideal .. but you have to do with what you have.

8/ you can see it’s all pulled in sweetly. I’ll leave it clamped for a day to dry, then run the paint marker down the join to make it look 100%.

Now, to make the joint really strong, another screw up the top would be ideal. But it will be visible when the lock bar is removed (but totally covered up when the lock bar is on) Or, you can slap an angle bracket on the inside, but a screw would be better. I’ll have a look and make a decision when the clamps come off.
Hope that helps someone.
rd

Someone please make this a key post!

#8805 6 years ago

With a B66 premium on it's way, do I have the risk of a splitting cabinet too? Or from what date is this problem fixed? (@rotordate: you know your build date by chance?).

Sorry, I’m not around it for a week now. I bought it about 9-12 months after the first run .. dunno if it’s from the original run or not. I know it was in stock at the factory, who knows how long it was sitting there though.

Quoted from thundergod76:

There have been documented cases of cabs splitting that were manufactured years ago when Stern was actually using decent grade wood

The wood has nothing to do with it, it’s the integrity of the joint that’s the issue.

As you can see in my pics, both my cracks stop where the top of the internal timber 45 degree corner block is (where the leg bracket fits) This corner block needs to run towards the top of the cabinet, same as all the old pins did (that never break, ever..) and Sterns problems would be over.

OR screw the cabinets

OR change up the simple butt joint to a better joint like the BW machines.

But a 10c, longer 45 degree timber block, screwed and glued as high to the top as you can go, would sort it all out. Easy peasy.

rd

#8806 6 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The wood has nothing to do with it, it’s the integrity of the joint that’s the issue.

Thanks for the clarification. What's your opinion on the rear cab corners? Should we worry about those eventually splitting?

#8807 6 years ago

I purchased these and installed with ease a week ago. Perfect screw length.

Zapour 12 Pack 20 by 20 mm Corner Brackets Corner Brace Angle Brackets with 24 Pack Screws https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06X8YK3NX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_wmXJAbP2TAX2E

#8808 6 years ago

Cheap insurance just to install the B/W brackets with wood screws and titebond III and call it good.

#8809 6 years ago

Thanks for the clarification. What's your opinion on the rear cab corners? Should we worry about those eventually splitting?

I haven’t got the pin in front of me, but from memory the corner blocks run all the way up the back. Plus the top of the cab (where the head box sits) also acts as a cross brace.

So no, don’t see an issue there.

Quoted from PinMonk:

Cheap insurance just to install the B/W brackets with wood screws and titebond III and call it good.

The bottom of the cabinet joint (at the front) is already braced by the wooden block. The BW brackets won’t really make it any stronger IMO. But they won’t make it any weaker either.

The weak spot is at the top of the cab. That’s where the flexing happens and where it splits.

If anyone wants insurance, run some PVA glue down the joint as Vireland suggests, and stick corner brackets at the top. Those screws he posted yesterday are ideal for the brackets - good coarse wood thread on those suckers! They won’t pull out in a hurry.

rd

3062BDCE-8A1F-4A23-B807-57CBF768E975 (resized).jpeg3062BDCE-8A1F-4A23-B807-57CBF768E975 (resized).jpeg

#8810 6 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm not so sure about that. The splitting starts at the top at the top of the pin and like RotorDave said stops at the top of the corner block (above where the B/W brackets would go).

#8811 6 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I'm not so sure about that. The splitting starts at the top at the top of the pin and like RotorDave said stops at the top of the corner block (above where the B/W brackets would go).

But the torque runs up the leg and through the leg bolts, not the other way around. The top is cracking because of the torque coming from the legs below. Bracketing them to arrest that will stop the splitting up the cab. None of the ones I've reinforced have had even a small crack, and we move them a lot.

#8812 6 years ago

New Code up!

V0.88.0 - Feb. 22, 2018
=======================

- Removed the ability to stack MAJOR VILLAIN modes.
- Reworked the RIDDLER mode to add collect/continue and additional shots.
- Implemented an adjustment the for combos (COMBO LIGHTS BEHAVIOR,
default = FLASH ONCE) that shows the new combo shots that are lit for
much less time when a new combo is started. This keeps the blinking
red arrows from covering up the mode/multiball arrows for too long.
(Other options are: NONE, ALWAYS (ALWAYS is the old default behavior
prior to this release).
- Added two more parts to the Mr. Freeze mode that includes Batman
and Robin frozen in blue and green ice cones, along with the final
fight sequence at the end of Episode #54.
- Added some code to ignore the BATMOBILE SPINNER for a period of time
shortly after the TURNTABLE stops moving.
- Fixed sequencing w/ MINOR VILLAIN mode select and VILLAIN ESCAPE start.
The start effect for VILLAIN ESCAPE will now run after a MINOR VILLAIN
has been selected.
- The TV light on left loop is now turned OFF when the BATUSI wizard mode
is able to start on the same shot.
- Reworked the handling for the launch button so there is less likelihood
of inadvertently using up a gadget when the player is trying to launch
the ball using the fire button.

#8813 6 years ago

D0EE4DF9-3830-41FC-96AC-E822E08972EE (resized).jpegD0EE4DF9-3830-41FC-96AC-E822E08972EE (resized).jpeg

#8814 6 years ago

Awesome, another BM playing weekend

#8815 6 years ago

Interesting to see stacking major villians modes removed. That was fun early on, but I turned it off this fall when we started getting minor villians and channel changing so I won't miss it ...

Nice to see Riddler fixed.

Now a few more minor villian modes and some creative way to get Batgirl really in the game and maybe a surprise or two and we'll be set!

(With every release now, the early naysayers and those that sold early are going .... Damn! Betting against Lyman wasn't a smart move ...)

#8816 6 years ago

Why remove stacking?

#8817 6 years ago

Looks like another great update and still only at 0.88. Can't wait to see what else is in store for us on the way to 1.0.

Looks like George and Lyman are both scheduled to be at TPF this year. Maybe they will give us a tease on what else is coming in future updates.

I'll be at the show, any other Batman66 club members going to TPF?

#8818 6 years ago

Loaded smooth.....Too long of a work day to dive in tonight.....but tomorrow......Batusi!!!! (hopefully)

#8819 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Why remove stacking?

From my perspective, it became simply too much as the code progressed. It's already hard enough to keep track of what's going on with multiple modes/channels as it is.

However my guess is was that it was removed to allow for some future change to support a new mode (or change to an existing one). Can't think of any other good reason to remove an option (with a default of NO to start with).

It's an option that few probably used. If removing it makes it easier to add mainstream code that improves the game, I'm all for it.

#8820 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Looks like another great update and still only at 0.88. Can't wait to see what else is in store for us on the way to 1.0.
Looks like George and Lyman are both scheduled to be at TPF this year. Maybe they will give us a tease on what else is coming in future updates.

Yup. Flying out to TPF this year. Can't wait!!

Brian

#8821 6 years ago

I noticed there are new sound settings in the Utilities tab. There are now Balance and separate Bass and Treble controls for the cabinet woofer added. Pretty cool!

"Added some code to ignore the BATMOBILE SPINNER for a period of time shortly after the TURNTABLE stops moving". I know this was a problem for some at the start of Joker mode. Glad to see it fixed.

#8822 6 years ago

Wonder why they removed stacking? Reboots?

#8823 6 years ago

I noticed there are new sound settings in the Utilities tab. There are now Balance and separate Bass and Treble controls for the cabinet woofer added. Pretty cool!
"Added some code to ignore the BATMOBILE SPINNER for a period of time
shortly after the TURNTABLE stops moving". I know this was a problem for some at the start of Joker mode. Glad to see it fixed.

Yes I am very happy to see this added into the code. Downloading it now. Can't wait to test if it fixes the issue of the spinner always activating and canceling bat poles for Joker mode. ***update *** great bug fix, can now enjoy trying for bat poles on Joker mode again. Thanks Lyman!

#8824 6 years ago

Noticed some Batsignal placeholders in Riddler mode I don't remember seeing before and a few call outs I hadn't heard before. My favorite was an outlane drain after a very poor ball where Robin remarked something like "next time I'll try to do better".

Only played a few games and never managed to start Joker to see what the spinner change did.

I'm getting spoiled by how much each .01 release is improving the game. Nice to see bug fixes and polish as we go rather than hoping for a bug fix release after 1.0. It took a while to get going, but this is how you develop a pinball game.

#8825 6 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

It's kind of unnecessary now that there's an actual, you know, game to play.

#8826 6 years ago
Quoted from JimB:

I guess it just didn't make sense anymore with so many other modes stacking up: major villain, minor villain, bat turn, and either multiball or villain escape. It's easy to have four modes running at the same time with just one major villain going. I can't imagine the chaos of 7 modes going at the same time.

#8827 6 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

Why remove stacking?

Quoted from JimB:

They’ve only removed the ability to stack major villain on major villain, not major villain with anything else. Was never the default anyway - was only a menu option. So you can still stack major villain, minor villain, multiball and bat turn. Would be way too complicated to stack 4 major villains together with everything else.

#8828 6 years ago

Today’s new batman code update brings in something I’ve wanted for ages

Yes!

#8829 6 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Today’s new batman code update brings in something I’ve wanted for ages
Yes!

What episodes does the new Riddler segments pull from? And how is the new setup/extension to Mr Freeze? That sounds almost as in depth now as a major villain mode!

#8830 6 years ago

Can anyone share intel around what gadgets are delivered when you hit the gadget button. Maybe just me, but i don’t know what to expect when bashing it. Also do they stack if you earn more than one?

#8831 6 years ago

Wow new code is great. This game is going to be a classic

I Also installed and used the new pin-date mod. Really looks nice and made it so much easier.

PIN-DATE is in the market place of your interested. Best $30 dollars I spent on my machine and so easy now to do the update

Now back to play more Batman 66

#8832 6 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

What episodes does the new Riddler segments pull from? And how is the new setup/extension to Mr Freeze? That sounds almost as in depth now as a major villain mode!

Didn't get to install the code until late last night. Only got a chance to start Riddler once, every time I was about to start it the ball would end up in the scoop and start Penguin instead of Ridder. I hate it when it does thst.

The new clip I saw looked like Riddler had Robin strapped to a table. I think thats from the 1'st two episodes of series "Hi Diddle Riddle" and "Smack in the Middle".

Didn't get into Freeze mode yet with the new code. Looking forward to rescuing the dynamic duo from their giant sno cones.

It also seemed to me that the magnet was grabbing the ball more during the bat phone sequence. Anyone else notice that?

#8833 6 years ago
Quoted from Jokerman:

Can anyone share intel around what gadgets are delivered when you hit the gadget button. Maybe just me, but i don’t know what to expect when bashing it. Also do they stack if you earn more than one?

Gadget button does a few things:

When ball is in shooter lane you can use it to launch a ball.

When its flashing and you are in one if the modes it will complete one of next lit shots that you need to make.

If it's flashing and locks are lit and your ball is in the Riddler saucer, hitting gadget button will open the lock diverter so when ball leaves the saucer it will go into the lock.

Whether its flashing or not it can be used for "channel changing". If you have more than one mode active hitting the gadget button allows you to switch between the active modes. When you switch between modes the playfield lights and LCD display will switch to show you the right mode clips and which shots to hit.

I think that's everything it does now.

Chris Franchi provided images for 120 different gadgets that could be used on the LCD but I don't thing they have used all those images yet. The only gadget image I see is after you drain and it shows the same gadget everytime on the LCD when it calculates your gadget bonus for that ball.

#8834 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

grabbing the ball more during the bat phone sequence. Anyone else notice that?

Haven't loaded the code yet but i thought .87 also was doing that better.

#8835 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Chris Franchi provided images for 120 different gadgets that could be used on the LCD but I don't thing they have used all those images yet.

I believe those are used for the LE gadget models. If they end up in the display, that is Lyman finding a second use, but not because that was what they were made for.

#8836 6 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I'm going Doc and I really want to meet up and buy you a beer!

Maybe we should have a batman henchman/goon squad contingent meeting ?

Neil.

#8837 6 years ago

I noticed much improved magnet activity on .88
It was really grabbing and flinging around now.

#8838 6 years ago
Quoted from Sethman:

I noticed much improved magnet activity on .88
It was really grabbing and flinging around now.

Awesome ive been waiting for this

#8839 6 years ago

I still have to "nudge" the ball off the magnet,after bat phone hit!!Does .88 go any easier,or do I have to lower magnet strength???

#8840 6 years ago

Setup your game a little steeper?

Thank you all for the advice on the cabinet. I have an october 2017 build GB and haven't reinforced it. Still good.
I guess I'll ad the corner brackets on the upper side of the cabinet at the front) + a little glue.

#8841 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

I still have to "nudge" the ball off the magnet,after bat phone hit!!Does .88 go any easier,or do I have to lower magnet strength???

I had the same problem with the ball hanging onto the magnet. I read somewhere on here that the ball or balls may have become magnetized. I bought new balls that state that they don't become magnetized. I haven't had a problem since.

#8842 6 years ago

Thanks,fellas,Yes,i've tried to readjust the pf angle,no change!! And I just installed new Ninja balls from Ball baron! No change!!

#8843 6 years ago

BTW,River,what balls do you use that don't get magnetized??? Thanks for your response guys!!!

#8844 6 years ago
Quoted from hawkmoon:

There's no way the magnet is staying engaged then. So it has to be magnetized balls.

On past games, I've had balls get magnetized just after a couple of plays. It doesn't take much. Hell, I run my nut driver over my speaker a few times to get it to hang onto screws.

#8845 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

There's no way the magnet is staying engaged then. So it has to be magnetized balls.
On past games, I've had balls get magnetized just after a couple of plays. It doesn't take much. Hell, I run my nut driver over my speaker a few times to get it to hang onto screws.

Correct, and there's a thread on here somewhere " where do you buy your balls from". There is debate on which games are impacted the most, but I dont use Silverjets or Ninjas in any of my magnet games ( both magnetize quicker than carbon versions)

#8846 6 years ago

Just FYI for batman/Stern owners who also run MacOSX - I have 2x had problems with code files downloaded using Safari. Switched over to Firefox and the update works fine. Not sure why it doesn't like the files downloaded using Safari - seems like the update just hangs at certain places and never progresses to the end. I ran into this problem 2x because I forgot to use Firefox this time and got another hang during the update.

#8847 6 years ago

Ok, I played for about an hour and a half after work this morning with the new .88 code and here’s what I noticed... I finished riddler only once...
1. Gadget stayed available between drains.
2. I didn’t hear one of my favorite call outs, “finish HIM, or it’s CURTAINS”!
3. When you reach the final part of the riddler when you have 5 shots left and it just keeps the green screen with the shot count down, now there are small vignettes between each shot, there was at least 1 that I did’t recognise from the previous code
4. There is a LOT more going on with Mr. Freeze! If all the other minor villains get similar treatment we are in for a real treat
5. The “race” to the bat poles seemed truncated

I am absolutely in love with this game, it’s going to be a real gem when it’s finally “finished”, can’t wait to see what we get with Bat Girl.

It is a bit frustrating to have modes available that I’ve never seen, completing minor villains is so difficult and I’ve not even come close 1 time to getting the three seasons lighted for Batusi. I came close to switching the number of balls but it just doesn’t seem right! I want to get there with three balls.

#8848 6 years ago

OK,thanks fellas,which balls do you all use then???

#8849 6 years ago
Quoted from airplanequartet:

Ok, I played for about an hour and a half after work this morning with the new .88 code and here’s what I noticed... I finished riddler only once...
1. Gadget stayed available between drains.
2. I didn’t hear one of my favorite call outs, “finish HIM, or it’s CURTAINS”!
3. When you reach the final part of the riddler when you have 5 shots left and it just keeps the green screen with the shot count down, now there are small vignettes between each shot, there was at least 1 that I did’t recognise from the previous code
4. There is a LOT more going on with Mr. Freeze! If all the other minor villains get similar treatment we are in for a real treat
5. The “race” to the bat poles seemed truncated
I am absolutely in love with this game, it’s going to be a real gem when it’s finally “finished”, can’t wait to see what we get with Bat Girl.
It is a bit frustrating to have modes available that I’ve never seen, completing minor villains is so difficult and I’ve not even come close 1 time to getting the three seasons lighted for Batusi. I came close to switching the number of balls but it just doesn’t seem right! I want to get there with three balls.

I cant justify doing more than 3 balls. How pinball is supoosed to be lol

#8850 6 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

I cant justify doing more than 3 balls. How pinball is supoosed to be lol

Even though it can frustrate the hell out if me I'm with you. All my machines are set to 3 balls.
Just love the challenge and the sense of achievement I suppose.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 18,638 posts in this topic. You are on page 177 of 373.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-official-club-thread/page/177 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.