Topic Stats

• 14,860 posts
  • 556 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by treborlicec
  • Topic is favorited by 217 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3,194 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

bm (resized).JPG
IMG_20191108_154810 (resized).jpg
IMG_4232 (resized).JPG
bitmoji-20180726020815 (resized).png
20191107_000815 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191101_182927 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191101_182831 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191101_182937 (resized).jpg
281E2867-5CB3-40C4-84EC-E3F303FD9D4C (resized).jpeg
DF7C65B3-A8FC-4D7E-9AC6-9D18A716E1F6 (resized).jpeg
9B8B0743-4C58-4970-A3CB-430C73ABAE85 (resized).jpeg
3FCFAF96-10A4-4F96-A76F-2BD745FEE191 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6196 (resized).jpg
IMG_6199 (resized).jpg
b66 meme (resized).jpg
8070248B-4F30-4C58-AA8F-1F76BE819A1E (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

47 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 20 (Show topic index)

There are 14860 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 298.
#751 2 years ago

You can see by the picture in a previous post that Stern used a 7 layer playfield. They may need to look at choosing a denser playfield for future production runs to help minimize dimpling. A 10-11 layer with tropical wood or hardwood will be more dense than their current choice. As for the clear coating they have been trying to figure this out for over a year now. They stated the issues did not occur during testing, but started to appear much later. So if the clear coat is not fully tested and approved why use customers as beta testers? They need to have an expert involved that knows clear coat formulas and reactions to different environments. Stern is trying to bring it in house and streamline production without doing the proper testing. There is a learning curve for everything but after Ghostbusters and other machine qc issues this should have been resolved by now.

#752 2 years ago

Anyone else think the stock blue shooter spring is just not strong enough? Tonight I plan on replacing with a standard shooter spring to see how it feels. That blue one just feels inadequate.

Hopeful someone comes up with a better airball guard protector on the left cat ramp. I'm going to pitch the game steeper tonight to see if it cuts down on balls launching off it going from left to right around the back. Either a different design or a way to anchor the free floating side down, so balls don't go a flyin so much!

Batmobile toy on spinner sure loves coming off it's mounting screws. Going to really glue that sucker down tonight.

Otherwise, having a lot of fun playing!!

#753 2 years ago

What happens if stern decides to make physical design changes to the game for later runs. Are owners of the early games just out of luck or do they warranty those same changes on early games? Anybody have experience with a precedent on this?

#754 2 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

What happens if stern decides to make physical design changes to the game for later runs. Are owners of the early games just out of luck or do they warranty those same changes on early games? Anybody have experience with a precedent on this?

There could be a service bulletin with a change or new part.

#755 2 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Wow. You are new.

Sorry. Just chuckling to myself.

Remember these are commercial products not meant for home use

#756 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Wow. You are new.
Sorry. Just chuckling to myself.
Remember these are commercial products not meant for home use

Glad you are so proud to have been in the hobby longer than me and get a laugh out if it. Congrats hot stuff

#757 2 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Glad you are so proud to have been in the hobby longer than me and get a laugh out if it. Congrats hot stuff

#758 2 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

Didn't mean to discourage. Those were good questions. Just poking a little fun.

I imagine that's the minus of being an early adopter. Same with any other product. But Stern has proven in the past not to do much about physical mistakes to design. The GOT orbit problem and GB airballs and lane jumps comes to mind.

#759 2 years ago
Quoted from Sethman:

Anyone else think the stock blue shooter spring is just not strong enough? Tonight I plan on replacing with a standard shooter spring to see how it feels. That blue one just feels inadequate.

Yeah, I changed mine out and it is much better now. Easy fix.

#760 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I imagine that's the minus of being an early adopter.

Back when I joined pinside, so over 4 years ago, I remember someone dispensing the advice that it's good to be the 2nd owner of a machine, and let someone else tweak it out.

Just about every game I've ever bought has needed tweaks. That is par for the course of being a nib buyer, and a Day 1 buyer at that.

Now I'm not speaking of watching the game disintegrate in front of your eyes, but I'm certain Stern will address that as well in time, even if their communication is piss poor.

#761 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I remember someone dispensing the advice that it's good to be the 2nd owner of a machine, and let someone else tweak it out.

I'm the second owner of mine, and there is no way I would have bought it without the chance to inspect and play it first.

I'm not much of a gambling man except during pinball competition.

#762 2 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Now I'm not speaking of watching the game disintegrate in front of your eyes, but I'm certain Stern will address that as well in time, even if their communication is piss poor.

This has been an issue for a long time. A buddy of mine had a blue avengers LE and at one point we had a light and screw both sitting on the left flipper. Parts not being inserted right at the factory has pleagued NIB Sterns since at least 2013.

#763 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

You can see by the picture in a previous post that Stern used a 7 layer playfield. They may need to look at choosing a denser playfield for future production runs to help minimize dimpling. A 10-11 layer with tropical wood or hardwood will be more dense than their current choice. As for the clear coating they have been trying to figure this out for over a year now. They stated the issues did not occur during testing, but started to appear much later. So if the clear coat is not fully tested and approved why use customers as beta testers? They need to have an expert involved that knows clear coat formulas and reactions to different environments. Stern is trying to bring it in house and streamline production without doing the proper testing. There is a learning curve for everything but after Ghostbusters and other machine qc issues this should have been resolved by now.

Yes, They should hire Ron Kruzman for clearcoating. His work is unmatched.

#765 2 years ago
Quoted from BenetBoy78:

Yes, They should hire Ron Kruzman for clearcoating. His work is unmatched.

No doubt. Or HSA. The dimpling has nothing to do with the wood. I can hit the bottom of the playfield as hard as I like with a ball, and nothing.

#766 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The dimpling has nothing to do with the wood. I can hit the bottom of the playfield as hard as I like with a ball, and nothing.

The clear coat, even with two layers will not stop or prevent dimpling. It may help minimize but it will not stop it. You have a steel ball and wood, it will dent. Wood has everything to do with dimpling. Again it all has to do with the density of the substrate (ie - wood).

#767 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

The clear coat, even with two layers will not stop or prevent dimpling.

It seems to me it is a very thick clearcoat, but not very hard.

I will repeat what I said, that when I struck a ball repeatedly to the underside of the playfield it left no dents. I saw somebody else managed to ding theirs. So take that for what it's worth.

#768 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I will repeat what I said, that when I struck a ball repeatedly to the underside of the playfield it left no dents.

Plywood is compressed of several layers and most likely the layer on the bottom of your 7 layer playfield is more dense the top layer. I will not take a ball to the underside of my new GB LE or MMR, because I already know the answer.

#769 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Plywood is compressed of several layers and most likely the layer on the bottom of your 7 layer playfield is more dense the top layer. I will not take a ball to the underside of my new GB LE or MMR, because I already know the answer.

How can the bottom layer be more dense? All 7 layers look to have same the same density?

Makes no sense.

#770 2 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Plywood is compressed of several layers and most likely the layer on the bottom of your 7 layer playfield is more dense the top layer.

That is something else I considered. My METLE had no dimpling and was supposedly one of those lessor playfields with softer wood they used for a while.

#771 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

How can the bottom layer be more dense? All 7 layers look to have same the same density?

Different grades of wood and often times different mixed species.

#772 2 years ago

Interesting how the exact time they got rid of ghosting, now we get severe dimpling instead.

#773 2 years ago

I was really enjoying the pics of the gadget numbers and apron cards. These playfield issues are disappointing.

#774 2 years ago

I am in the club. LE#40. However, I am leaving mine NIB for the time being. I will wait til the code advances a bit more before I unpack and set up. I have a bad habit of getting mad at how crappy the early code is. This anger has impacted my longer term enjoyment of the game. For example, I still don't really play TWD. I am still mad at it. It all started with Xmen! Man, that was a long wait! Should have left that one NIB for over 2 years!! Live and learn.

#775 2 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

For example, I still don't really play TWD. I am still mad at it

What? TWD has some of the best code of any pinball machine ever!

#776 2 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

I am in the club. LE#40. However, I am leaving mine NIB for the time being. I will wait til the code advances a bit more before I unpack and set up. I have a bad habit of getting mad at how crappy the early code is. This anger has impacted my longer term enjoyment of the game. For example, I still don't really play TWD. I am still mad at it. It all started with Xmen! Man, that was a long wait! Should have left that one NIB for over 2 years!! Live and learn.

mine is set up, but i'm not playing it (much) for similar reason.

#777 2 years ago

I have heard TWD code is great! I just need a little more time for the code rage to pass! also, still waiting on GB and RZ code. don't play those much either! Save us all Lyman!

#778 2 years ago

tho I suppose Spooky won't have Lyman on RZ...

#779 2 years ago
Quoted from leaffan67:

I have heard TWD code is great! I just need a little more time for the code rage to pass! also, still waiting on GB and RZ code. don't play those much either! Save us all Lyman!

I definitely don't know much but my bet is we aren't gonna see too much more code on GB. You don't think current GB code is adequate and deep enough to at least make the game fun to play?

#780 2 years ago

Anyone who thinks the clear coat needs more cure time.. go out to your car bonnet and bounce a pinball on it.. did it stop the bonnet from dimples? Lol

#781 2 years ago

Sure, GB is fun. Just waiting and hoping!

#782 2 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Anyone who thinks the clear coat needs more cure time.. go out to your car bonnet and bounce a pinball on it.. did it stop the bonnet from dimples? Lol

well great, now i have to look up "car bonnet"

#783 2 years ago

I'm going to go home and drop a pinball on a piece of stock construction grade plywood and then on the hood of my neighbor's Mercedes and see which is more resistant to dimpling.

#784 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm going to go home and drop a pinball on a piece of stock construction grade plywood and then on the hood of my neighbor's Mercedes and see which is more resistant to dimpling.

think i did that in science class for a project ages ago

#785 2 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

well great, now i have to look up "car bonnet"

Bonnet = "hood".

rd

#786 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Bonnet = "hood".
rd

Boot = Trunk

#787 2 years ago

gotcha

bert-bonnet-1 (resized).jpg

#788 2 years ago

And Stern= Rear end.

#789 2 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

And Stern= Rear end.

Boom!

rd

#790 2 years ago

bam-1 (resized).jpeg

#791 2 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

I was really enjoying the pics of the gadget numbers and apron cards.

Agreed...any new ones out there?

#792 2 years ago

I'm sure this has been talked about but is there an explanation for the 3 holes on top front edge of the back box?

IMG_3883 (resized).JPG

#793 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Agreed...any new ones out there?

I got LE#66 > BatShit detector gadget

No joke!

#794 2 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

No joke!

LMAO....pics or forget it....

#795 2 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

I'm sure this has been talked about but is there an explanation for the 3 holes on top front edge of the back box?

Gotta believe those are for the rubber inserts for playfield to rest on when raised ( even though only 3 on IMVE) Think I'll call tomorrow and ask...

#796 2 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

No joke!

I don't recall that one in any of the episodes?

#797 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I don't recall that one in any of the episodes?

Agreed, anxious to keep the club thread positive as new owners enjoy this beautiful game. ( think he was kidding, as his arrives tomorrow)

#798 2 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Agreed, anxious to keep the club thread positive as new owners enjoy this beautiful game. ( think he was kidding, as his arrives tomorrow)

I knew he was kidding, I was just trying to be sarcastic. He's had his game for a week or so, he's just being real patient about unboxing it.

#799 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I knew he was kidding, I was just trying to be sarcastic. He's had his game for a week or so, he's just being real patient about unboxing it.

Well played

#800 2 years ago

Swapped the shooter spring out for a stiffer one, much better on plunge now.

Game is pitched at 7 and I'm still having a ton of airballs flying off the left ramp shot and ending up in the saucer. What else can be done to stop this?

Quite often getting the ball stuck on the back edge of the batmobile spinner. Have to wait for ball search to knock it free. Is there a leveling adjustment hidden underneath somewhere?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 14860 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 298.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside