PXL_20240119_215418966 (resized).jpg
2E157914-93A2-4C0A-B4AB-670DC4DD4E4C (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240123_184703380 (resized).jpg
IMG_0717 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0715 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0713 (resized).jpeg
PXL_20240114_203723710.MP~2 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

48 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,638 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 373.
#701 7 years ago
Quoted from Texasff78:

This is my game. I have already posted these in the impressions thread. For those who say they aren't getting dimpling I am happy for you. I am not as fortunate.... Some clear chipping already as well.

Holy dimple machine gun!! Wow. Sincerely, sorry to see this on your game.

#702 7 years ago

Wow, those pictures look bad! After seeing those dimples I just did a glass off, close up survey of my playfield. While I have a few small dimples on the magnet, the playfield looks good like what would be normal dimpling compared to my other games. Whew! My magnet isn't too active, but the slings on this game are powerful. I wonder what the common denominator is with the latest batch of playfields that aren't holding up well.

#703 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

will mylar protect from these craters ?
will mylar weaken the use of the magnet?

No need, Stern can replace people's magnets with some that are not made out of compressed tin foil.

#704 7 years ago
Quoted from Texasff78:

This is my game. I have already posted these in the impressions thread. For those who say they aren't getting dimpling I am happy for you. I am not as fortunate.... Some clear chipping already as well.

Man, that looks rough!!!....I posted last night that I did a glass off on mine with around 100-150 plays....some normal dimpling ( minor), but overall looked fine....sorry you got one like that!!!...hope Stern will make it right ( you would think so), it looks like a ton of ( hard) air ball activity....geesh....

#705 7 years ago

They may make it right but it will probably be months might want to think about joining kpg petition.

#706 7 years ago

if you shine a super bright light and take photos of any playfield as a specific angle, you will see dimples you didn't know existed. Hard to say if these are within the "normal" range or not. The magnet dimpling is strange....

#707 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

if you shine a super bright light and take photos of any playfield as a specific angle, you will see dimples you didn't know existed. Hard to say if these are within the "normal" range or not. The magnet dimpling is strange....

Come on man...within the normal range. Should just put a mini statue of Neil and Buzz up there and it would be complete

#708 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

hope Stern will make it right ( you would think so)

Hope isn't going to cut it here. Stern needs to be proactive by developing a response plan and communicating it quickly.

If any of the SLE owners see similar problems, it could create a PR nightmare ("owners of the most expensive production pinball machine ever sold are reporting massive issues with poor craftsmanship and playfield defects on Stern's flagship new Batman game"). Unlike any previous game, Batman SLE/LE games were clearly targeted almost solely at the collector/home market. Comments at Expo indicate that Stern understands this, but with multiple examples of playfield problems this early in the life of the game, they clearly haven't done anything to address the expectations of this market segment.

If the playfield problems were one-offs, it would be a minor concern for the market overall. But if this is now a systemic problem with the primary component of a pinball game, it does not bode well for Stern, especially if operators and collectors actually do start voting with their wallets.

As an LE owner, I'm extremely discouraged and disappointed to see others with these issues. I hope I don't see similar problems, but it is unreasonable to expect my experience will end up being any different. I'm going to go over my game with a fine tooth comb before another ball is plunged and may even wait until I can install a full playfield protector. It is a shame I even have to consider that, but it's a travesty that some have already suffered such significant damage in such a short period of gameplay.

#709 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

we have a GB and I noticed the dimples with only the game lights on....even my wife said she noticed them and she's never said anything in 20 years about a playfield on the games we own. I love the game so hopefully they blend over time.

#710 7 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Hope isn't going to cut it here. Stern needs to be proactive by developing a response plan and communicating it quickly.
If any of the SLE owners see similar problems, it could create a PR nightmare ("owners of the most expensive production pinball machine ever sold are reporting massive issues with poor craftsmanship and playfield defects on Stern's flagship new Batman game"). Unlike any previous game, Batman SLE/LE games were clearly targeted almost solely at the collector/home market. Comments at Expo indicate that Stern understands this, but with multiple examples of playfield problems this early in the life of the game, they clearly haven't done anything to address the expectations of this market segment.
If the playfield problems were one-offs, it would be a minor concern for the market overall. But if this is now a systemic problem with the primary component of a pinball game, it does not bode well for Stern, especially if operators and collectors actually do start voting with their wallets.
As an LE owner, I'm extremely discouraged and disappointed to see others with these issues. I hope I don't see similar problems, but it is unreasonable to expect my experience will end up being any different. I'm going to go over my game with a fine tooth comb before another ball is plunged and may even wait until I can install a full playfield protector. It is a shame I even have to consider that, but it's a travesty that some have already suffered such significant damage in such a short period of gameplay.

A freaking men

#711 7 years ago

Stern should only respond with a new pf is in the mail, please use the same box and return your old pf. We will test the new one to make sure you will not have issues. Plus here's some extra swag, we appreciate you as our customer and will make sure you are taken care of.

Hell, they should give you a sle pf for your troubles.

#712 7 years ago

I played a BM66 Premium today on location in Garland, Texas. My first impression was "Wow!". This was my first time seeing or playing one. The whole package is great. I love the big LCD. The use of music and clips from the show is great. The game shoots easy. I really like the open layout. It doesn't feel like BDK to me at all, but more like a game that recycled a toy from another game.

The art, theme and music are really well done. I liked it much more than I anticipated. Although I maintain that the price is too high for me, it's a really cool game. Well done Stern. I sure would enjoy owning a used one some day.

Also, I looked close at the playfield and didn't see any major issues. Some minor dimpling, no more or less than my games at home.

IMG_9245 (resized).JPGIMG_9245 (resized).JPG
IMG_9253 (resized).JPGIMG_9253 (resized).JPG
IMG_9252 (resized).JPGIMG_9252 (resized).JPG

#713 7 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

There are no super bright lights here. This is the game lighting period. No flash. You can see the reflection of the back glass in many of the pics. I have two other games (Addams and BDK) and either playfield even remotely resembles this.

#714 7 years ago

As anxious as I am waiting for my PRE its most likely gonna remain un played until I install a playfield protector. Who knows when that'll be. I emailed the company in Germany that makes them. He said it could be a while because they don't have a BM66 yet to get a template made.

#715 7 years ago
Quoted from Texasff78:

Hey Texasff78, could you share some info with us for some analysis? LE #, date received, distributor, game location. Also, any manufacture dates or marks on the game/pkayfield? Maybe we can compare our games and find other games in the same batch, or some other common denominator.

#716 7 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Stern should only respond with a new pf is in the mail, please use the same box and return your old pf. We will test the new one to make sure you will not have issues. Plus here's some extra swag, we appreciate you as our customer and will make sure you are taken care of.
Hell, they should give you a sle pf for your troubles.

If Stern doenst send you a new pf we will all pitch in and buy you a new pf. Hell ill even fly out there and install it for you!

#717 7 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

If Stern doenst send you a new pf we will all pitch in and buy you a new pf. Hell ill even fly out there and install it for you!

You serious Clark?

#718 7 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

You serious Clark?

Si

#719 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Not at all.....loctite (the red stuff) holds things tight, but can still be taken apart at a later date with correct tools (used all the time on nuts/ bolts that are suspect to vibration.. The epoxy is more "permanent", but in this case, I only used it on the batmobile, and the screw is so short, it too will come out fine at a later date, but only with a screwdriver....

Quoted from MK6PIN:

Epoxy ONLY on the bat mobile toy. Wouldn't use it on the general, machine threaded screws...use the Loctite RED on those ( it's called " removeable"). Two different things.....clear jb weld epoxy, and red loctite.

You've got your Loctite colors mixed up...

"Loctite Threadlocker Red 271 is designed for the permanent locking and sealing of threaded fasteners. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. It is only removable once cured by heating up parts to 500°F (260°C)."

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_red/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Red-271.htm

"Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242 is particularly suited for applications on less active substrates such as stainless steel and plated surfaces, where disassembly is required for servicing."

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

#720 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

You've got your Loctite colors mixed up...
"Loctite Threadlocker Red 271 is designed for the permanent locking and sealing of threaded fasteners. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. It is only removable once cured by heating up parts to 500°F (260°C)."
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_red/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Red-271.htm
"Loctite Threadlocker Blue 242 is designed for the locking and sealing of threaded fasteners which require normal disassembly with standard hand tools. The product cures when confined in the absence of air between close fitting metal surfaces. It protects threads from rust and corrosion and prevents loosening from shock and vibration. Loctite® Threadlocker Blue 242 is particularly suited for applications on less active substrates such as stainless steel and plated surfaces, where disassembly is required for servicing."
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

Drats!!!! You'll note I called out blue, then edited back to red after looking at my cap color. See pic:

I actually had a bottle of Staybond T222 that was handy...sorry for confusion..( I actually do rigging as part of my pro audio side, and use the loctite green stuff, 290 most of the time, because of the wicking aspect, perfect for shackles after the fact)...thanks!!!

IMG_1480 (resized).JPGIMG_1480 (resized).JPG

#721 7 years ago

Had some friends from my league over tonight and in the middle of a game this screw popped out of a ramp. I screwed it back in and did a once over on the rest of the screws I could access and found two more that were about to fall off. All is well now. This is my fourth new Stern but the first to lose a PF screw. My advice is to check PF screws when setting up your Batman66.

IMG_1132 (resized).JPGIMG_1132 (resized).JPG

IMG_1134 (resized).JPGIMG_1134 (resized).JPG

#722 7 years ago

My SLE has not been played yet, but the playfield has one large dimple around the magnet and the magnet has 1 large dimple (0 game plays) - during testing it was messed up I guess. How many balls do they typically test a game with bc honestly this is bs (% chance of getting craters seems high). I got a brand new game with a few dimples from factory testing. Heaven forbid I play the f&%&en game and end up in the same $hit storm. Any advice? 15k POS IMO from the few dimples I got New Out of Box. The theme is fun for some - great - but this game is made out of garbage. I can't believe the photos I saw of the dimpling from others. Are they out of their minds with this bs. That kind of money being thrown around deserves some respect - they $hit all over everyone. Nobody should be checking their damn game after 20 plays for this type of crap. There shouldn't be nuts and screws flying around everywhere. Nobody should be seeing that sort of thing at all - plain and dimple. They demanded a kiss ass video and a bag of money just to rush this trash out to everyone. Stern - take a moment - enough cutting corners - you asked premium pricing and gave out the worst quality controlled games in years. I'm more pissed off that others have such crazy awful playfields and everyone is taking glass off to see "minor" issues. Whatever - I know the cycle - everyone will still buy NIB until it happens to them - Stern better issue a public letter so everyone knows this won't happen on Aerosmith or Star Wars or Guardians - Sorry BM66 Owners - we got boned and paid the most.

#723 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

What'd they make that magnet out of, butter?

Well, butter's too expensive so they used margarine.

#724 7 years ago

Why use Butter or Margarine when piss is free.

#725 7 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

What'd they make that magnet out of, butter?

And a playfield made of balsa wood?

#726 7 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Hey Texasff78, could you share some info with us for some analysis? LE #, date received, distributor, game location. Also, any manufacture dates or marks on the game/pkayfield? Maybe we can compare our games and find other games in the same batch, or some other common denominator.

I purchased the game from Pinball Alley in Rochester, New York. Playfield manufacturing date was 12/2/2016. Mine is LE 38 Interdigital Batsorter. I am located in Texas and the game is home use only. I got the game on January 3rd. The sticker below is on the playfield.

IMG_3550 (resized).JPGIMG_3550 (resized).JPG

#727 7 years ago
Quoted from Texasff78:

I purchased the game from Pinball Alley in Rochester, New York. Playfield manufacturing date was 12/2/2016. Mine is LE 38 Interdigital Batsorter. I am located in Texas and the game is home use only. I got the game on January 3rd. The sticker below is on the playfield.

What's the serial number and date of manufacture? It will be on the back of the main cabinet. It may also be on the box, but I don't remember and no longer have my box.

I'll be glad to collect details from folks that want to report that info to see if we can identify anything in common. However, I would expect that we aren't talking too many different batches of playfields this early.

#728 7 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I really wanted a gadget version and I was happy to see I got one. I was even happier to see what one it was. I peeked in the box and couldnt believe my luck, its the freaking Batmobile!

Big congrats!!!! I was wondering who would score the Batmobile!!!!

#729 7 years ago
Quoted from Cyrus:

Had some friends from my league over tonight and in the middle of a game this screw popped out of a ramp. I screwed it back in and did a once over on the rest of the screws I could access and found two more that were about to fall off. All is well now. This is my fourth new Stern but the first to lose a PF screw. My advice is to check PF screws when setting up your Batman66.

I had that exact screw pop out of mine. Tightened them all up and another came loose and for the life of me, I can't find where it came from. They were all pretty loose.

#730 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Scroll down. It was a joke

#731 7 years ago
Quoted from FalconPunch:

Scroll down. It was a joke

Alas, that's what happens when I fall behind in a thread.

#732 7 years ago
Quoted from bbble:

My SLE has not been played yet, but the playfield has one large dimple around the magnet and the magnet has 1 large dimple (0 game plays) - during testing it was messed up I guess. How many balls do they typically test a game with bc honestly this is bs (% chance of getting craters seems high). I got a brand new game with a few dimples from factory testing. Heaven forbid I play the f&%&en game and end up in the same $hit storm. Any advice? 15k POS IMO from the few dimples I got New Out of Box. The theme is fun for some - great - but this game is made out of garbage. I can't believe the photos I saw of the dimpling from others. Are they out of their minds with this bs. That kind of money being thrown around deserves some respect - they $hit all over everyone. Nobody should be checking their damn game after 20 plays for this type of crap. There shouldn't be nuts and screws flying around everywhere. Nobody should be seeing that sort of thing at all - plain and dimple. They demanded a kiss ass video and a bag of money just to rush this trash out to everyone. Stern - take a moment - enough cutting corners - you asked premium pricing and gave out the worst quality controlled games in years. I'm more pissed off that others have such crazy awful playfields and everyone is taking glass off to see "minor" issues. Whatever - I know the cycle - everyone will still buy NIB until it happens to them - Stern better issue a public letter so everyone knows this won't happen on Aerosmith or Star Wars or Guardians - Sorry BM66 Owners - we got boned and paid the most.

"Plain and dimple". Genius

#733 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Alas, that's what happens when I fall behind in a thread.

Don't feel bad - you weren't the only one that got fooled ...

#734 7 years ago

After touring the factory at expo, I kinda get the " loose screw" episodes here. They do have many, many people using overhead pneumatic or electric screw/ nut drivers, as it's a pretty large assembly ( not manufacturing) facility.

I can't speak for other games, but this one definitely requires hand tightened screws, nuts, etc. in key areas, as power tools would obviously over torque them. There were plenty of hand soldering stations, but didn't notice nearly as many hand assembly lines. This has to be a huge qc challenge for them, with so many games moving everywhere.

This, by NO means justifies the issues, but simply shines some light on it. Does anyone know if all these qc issues have any coorelation to when they moved to the larger facility, and upped assembly?

Believe it or not, I was really impressed with the facility, and the overall positive attitudes that I witnessed from all the employees. I really believe they take pride in their work, and the passion from Gary on down felt very sincere. They were genuinely excited to bring this BM66, their 30th anniversary edition, to life.

Growth issues are absolutely real, and I'm sure they are truly as disheartened as we are to see some of these issues happening. Have to believe they are working very hard to " get their legs" wrapped around the qc aspect.

I don't work for Stern, have no inside knowledge, certainly not a " fanboy", and am disheartened by some of these very real issues being faced by customers who laid out big money for any of these games ( news flash- 4K is just as big as 15k to some). Mistakes and challenges happen everyday, it's how we deal with them is what separates the good from the bad...strictly a business statement. Sincerely hope ( and do believe) Stern will work harder, and stand behind their products. Their passion seems very genuine.

I'm not naive, just common sense. If the quality goes south, the funds WILL stop. Costs far more to repair something than to do it right the first time. Choosing to believe they are fully aware of this is the stance I'm taking. I want the customers with bad games to be made whole, AND I want Stern ( along with JJP, Heighway, etc.) to thrive.

#735 7 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hopefully the wheels don't fall off

#736 7 years ago

Any concerns (effects) of putting Mylar on clear?

#737 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

will mylar protect from these craters ?
will mylar weaken the use of the magnet?

Probably no to both. Some PF's are simply softer than others. Yours may not turn out the same way.

#738 7 years ago

Any truth that new clear needs like 3 months to cure(sp) before it's stronger (less soft = more dimple resistant)?

#739 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

No it's been done for ages and usually comes off cleanly years later with a hot or cold method. It stops "wear to the wood" in ball drop areas, etc but may not stop the dimples if the wood is soft. You could also try the clear "cling" plastic you can get at a craft store or Amazon. No adhesive - it just stays where you put it (usually) and is thicker so it actually may protect better. Can't hurt anything and I've put it in the shooter lanes instead of a Cliffy... thanks to Ice for that idea. He's not *always* wrong...

#740 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Wax the PF first or you will have a heck of a time getting the Mylar off of you ever need to.

#741 7 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

Any truth that new clear needs like 3 months to cure(sp) before it's stronger (less soft = more dimple resistant)?

There is supposed to be a curing time and the way they rushed these out means that probably didn't get respected but I find it hard to believe they EVER let these PF sit for months before they produce a game.

That said if the wood is soft the CC can't stop the dimples. In fact you want it to be a little flexible as otherwise you'd get little "stars" in the CC where it would crack as the wood underneath it compresses into a dimple.

Wood can vary in hardness even in the same batch. Back in 97 I bought a WMS NIB that had such a soft PF it developed crater-like dimples... on that one I actually got a refund from the distributor. Most found that hard to believe on RGP at the time. I was a novice and got lucky on that deal. Knowing what I now know about the business I wouldn't expect that to ever happen again.

Back then somebody buying NIB for the home was more of a novelty and maybe that's why I was treated better. Also the dealer sold mine at a slight discount to an Op that could care less

#742 7 years ago

I think (no expert....VID where are you?) but i think the mylar only protects playfield from wear, won't stop the dimples.....

#743 7 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I think (no expert....VID where are you?) but i think the mylar only protects playfield from wear, won't stop the dimples.....

From my understanding, dimples come from the wood, and the clearcoat does not protect against it, so mylar wouldn't either.

So far, I believe we've only seen 1 playfield affected in this thread, so it could just be a one off problem.

#744 7 years ago

Time for a hard plastic shield on all play fields installed at the factory.

#745 7 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

No it's been done for ages and usually comes off cleanly years later with a hot or cold method. It stops "wear to the wood" in ball drop areas, etc but may not stop the dimples if the wood is soft. You could also try the clear "cling" plastic you can get at a craft store or Amazon. No adhesive - it just stays where you put it (usually) and is thicker so it actually may protect better. Can't hurt anything and I've put it in the shooter lanes instead of a Cliffy... thanks to Ice for that idea. He's not *always* wrong...

Do you have a link on Amazon?

#746 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So far, I believe we've only seen 1 playfield affected in this thread, so it could just be a one off problem.

At least two - texasff78 and calprog.

#747 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Given recent history with GB and vault editions, I don't think so!

#748 7 years ago

Fair enough, I can't defend what is going on, just trying to make sense of what is happening and the scope of it.

#749 7 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

From my understanding, dimples come from the wood, and the clearcoat does not protect against it, so mylar wouldn't either.

My TWD and GOT both have bad dimpling but I thought dimpling was normal according to most people here. It doesn't really bother me since you have to be in direct light to see it, but I'd rather it not be there. Only my 2 new Sterns have dimpling, my other pins are smooth.

#750 7 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

My TWD and GOT both have bad dimpling but I thought dimpling was normal according to most people here. It doesn't really bother me since you have to be in direct light to see it, but I'd rather it not be there. Only my 2 new Sterns have dimpling, my other pins are smooth.

I expect to see dimpling, so it's tough to say where the line is.

One thing that should NOT happen is clear coat chipping. That is a definite problem.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
There are 18,638 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 373.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/batman-66-official-club-thread/page/15 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.